Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

Cannes 2019

brokenface
Donator

Re: Cannes 2019

Post by brokenface » May 25th, 2019, 10:02 am

cinewest wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 9:32 am
brokenface wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 9:15 am
Predictions:

Palme: Parasite
Grand Prix: Atlantics
Jury: It Must Be Heaven
Director: Tarantino
Screenplay: The Whistlers
Actor: Antonio Banderas (Pain & Glory)
Actress: Noémie Merlant and Adèle Haenel (Portrait of a Lady on Fire)
Another good prediction, but any reason why you tabbed atlantique or The Whistlers?
Atlantique - mostly positive reviews, debut, female director, refugee theme...seems like the kind of thing that will pick up enough support on Jury to win something, probably not top prize. Exactly which other prize is a guess

The Whistlers - Bit of a wild punt but Porumboiu has done well at Cannes before.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 25th, 2019, 10:32 am

Teproc wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 9:34 am
brokenface wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 6:32 am
Mektoub part 2 is getting some rather brutal reviews. Not particularly surprising as the first one didn't get much positivity and if you make critics sit through a four hour follow-up, they've got plenty of time to come up with some cutting reviews

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/mekto ... 202144325/
Where are you getting that the first Mektoub didn't get much positivity ? It was quite acclaimed in France.
French critics are incredibly forgiving with Kechiche (so far): he is a talented diretor but Mektoub is just a very mediocre erotomaniac fantasy.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 25th, 2019, 10:52 am

Atlantique definitely seems to have a "wow" factor with some critics who have seen it (especially those who are more into more mystical cinema in re Weerasethakul) so I wouldn't be shocked if it claimed one of the top prizes.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 25th, 2019, 11:08 am

Un Certain Regard Award: “The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao,” Karim Ainouz

Jury Prize: “The Fire Will Come,” Oliver Laxe

Best Director: Kantemir Balagov, “Beanpole”

Best Performance: Chiara Mastroianni, “On a Magical Night”

Un Certain Regard Heart Prize: “The Climb” and “A Brother’s Love”

Special Jury Prize: Albert Serra, “Liberte”

Special Jury Mention: “Joan of Arc,” Bruno Dumont
The top three are films I already had my eye on - Invisible Life and Beanpole both sound really interesting, plus I liked Laxe's last film - so this is good news. Albert Serra's new film is about RW Fassbinder, so that's intriguing as well. Uh no, this is totally wrong, but I blame this confusing article. :blink:
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 25th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I've seen 3 good ones by Karim Ainouz, winner of Un Certain Regard: Madame Sata, O Céu de Suely, and Viajo Porque Preciso, Volto Porque te Amo.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 10:52 am
Atlantique definitely seems to have a "wow" factor with some critics who have seen it (especially those who are more into more mystical cinema in re Weerasethakul) so I wouldn't be shocked if it claimed one of the top prizes.
Yes, I can see that one winning a lesser prize. We'll see very soon which way the Jury blows....

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 25th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Here's another good podcast from film comment, highlighting African cinema at Cannes: https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/the-fi ... 19-day-10/

I mentioned The Unknown Saint earlier in the thread

max-scl

Post by max-scl » May 25th, 2019, 6:23 pm

brokenface wrote:
Predictions:

:cheers:

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 25th, 2019, 6:28 pm

well done jury !
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Traveller

Post by Traveller » May 25th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Exciting stuff. Parasite can't come soon enough.
ICM
July Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 25th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Oh damn, Emily Beecham got Best Actress, hopefully this means she'll be in more stuff. I watched all 3 seasons of that stupid Badlands show just to watch her kick ass in high heels.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 26th, 2019, 1:01 am

max-scl wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 6:23 pm
brokenface wrote:
Predictions:

:cheers:
Not bad B)

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 26th, 2019, 2:28 am

Young Ahmed for Best Director is the head-scratcher this year. Of course I haven't seen it yet, but the Dardennes tend to direct all of their films the same way, and while they are well-directed, I wonder why this time they were given another award.

Ladj Li and Mati Diop should definitely get a career boost from their awards, congratulations to them. :cheers:

Teproc

Post by Teproc » May 26th, 2019, 7:38 am

I was listening to a French radio show where they were talking about this, and they said something which rings true to me, which is that while most critics are extremely familiar with the Dardennes, members of the jury might not be as much, and as a result they may not be as tired of their "shtick", so to speak.

albajos

Post by albajos » May 26th, 2019, 7:39 am

or they will retire soon

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 26th, 2019, 10:11 am

https://variety.com/2019/film/festivals ... 203225940/

Several other awarded films, here, including the Fipresci prizes

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 26th, 2019, 10:45 am

Top 5 on my list to see including Parasite:

The lighthouse
The invisible life of Euridice Guzmao
Atlantics
and maybe It Must Be Heaven

Yours?
Last edited by cinewest on May 26th, 2019, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 26th, 2019, 10:53 am

Portrait of a Lady on Fire and The Lighthouse are the only two I'm desperate for.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » May 26th, 2019, 8:29 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 4:26 am
Girlhood is one of my all-time favorite films, so color me highly intrigued. :)
I would have liked to see Adele Haenel win Best Actress at Cannes instead of Emily Beecham. Beecham was okay, but Haenel, you know...

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » May 26th, 2019, 8:34 pm

flaiky wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 11:08 am
Un Certain Regard Award: “The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao,” Karim Ainouz

Jury Prize: “The Fire Will Come,” Oliver Laxe

Best Director: Kantemir Balagov, “Beanpole”

Best Performance: Chiara Mastroianni, “On a Magical Night”

Un Certain Regard Heart Prize: “The Climb” and “A Brother’s Love”

Special Jury Prize: Albert Serra, “Liberte”

Special Jury Mention: “Joan of Arc,” Bruno Dumont
The top three are films I already had my eye on - Invisible Life and Beanpole both sound really interesting, plus I liked Laxe's last film - so this is good news. Albert Serra's new film is about RW Fassbinder, so that's intriguing as well. Uh no, this is totally wrong, but I blame this confusing article. :blink:
The Serra film was soooo bad (Liberty) that I decided not to waste my time with Mektoub. Was going to try to see it but after Liberty, I decided my life was too precious to waste it on merde. I hope Serra doesn’t screw up this facet of Fassbinder’s life. I’d be interested in anything Fassbinder related but Serra has now gone on the list of directors whose work I won’t touch.

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » May 27th, 2019, 8:33 am

At this stage I'm keen on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Parasite & The Lighthouse. Hopefully a few other good films from the festival bob up.
Money talks and bullshit walks.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » May 27th, 2019, 8:40 am

The queue for Once Upona Time in Hollywood was out of control so I want to see it when I get back. Parasite I was planning to see when they showed it the 3rd time (First was a late premiere, 2nd time conflict with my schedule) and then the lines were too long. I could have then chosen to go to the Malick film but t was in a smaller theater and I thought I’d have to wait in line for an hour and still not get in. that gave me 6 hours of time to kill so i opted to take a day trip to Grasse instead. I’ve heard varying things about The Lighthouse.

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » May 31st, 2019, 1:09 am

allisoncm wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:40 am
The queue for Once Upona Time in Hollywood was out of control so I want to see it when I get back. Parasite I was planning to see when they showed it the 3rd time (First was a late premiere, 2nd time conflict with my schedule) and then the lines were too long. I could have then chosen to go to the Malick film but t was in a smaller theater and I thought I’d have to wait in line for an hour and still not get in. that gave me 6 hours of time to kill so i opted to take a day trip to Grasse instead. I’ve heard varying things about The Lighthouse.
What a life you lead.

Vox: The Fifteen Best Films I Saw at Cannes This Year:
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/29/1 ... -lady-fire

PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez » June 7th, 2019, 2:25 am

I ended up having a really packed schedule while I was there, so I was only able to catch a few films in the evening. I ended up seeing four features, Zombi Child, Vivarium, First Love and Jeanne. Zombi Child was a blast and a frankly admirable film. First Love was incredibly entertaining (someone, while leaving, called it the greatest rom-com he'd seen in years), and Takashi Miike's introduction was the funniest intro to a film I've ever seen. Vivarium was among the worst films I've seen this year, and left a truly sour taste in my mouth. Jeanne was the last film I saw in Cannes, and I saw it at the Soixantième, which seats a load of people, but by the end the theater was really quite empty; people were leaving throughout the whole film, and when the film ended a lot of people were still sleeping in their chairs. That was something I didn't really expect to see in Cannes. Nevertheless I found it to be extremely moving, and movie-wise it was the fondest memory I brought from the festival. The second and third acts were just magical.

I also attended a shorts screening, which ranged from very bad to quite enjoyable. There was one which particularly impressed me, named Kolektyviniai Sodai (Community Gardens), which was presented by a young boy and girl who didn't seem to know what the hell they were doing there. They were truly endearing, and their film truly rang true so I'd very much like to see what it is they'll be doing next.

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 7th, 2019, 9:42 am

Wouldn't mind going to Cannes some day. How hard is it to get accomodation and tickets to the films? And how much should you be prepared to spend for the whole experience?

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 7th, 2019, 4:15 pm

I thought it wasn't open to the public; don't you need a press pass or something to that effect?

Rainy Red Carpet

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » June 8th, 2019, 4:26 am

outdoorcats wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 4:15 pm
I thought it wasn't open to the public; don't you need a press pass or something to that effect?
That's what I thought. But hearing from people who don't seem to be in the industry makes me wonder if plebs like me could go to it.