Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

How old are you in "cinephile years"?

maxwelldeux
Donator

How old are you in "cinephile years"?

Post by maxwelldeux » April 8th, 2019, 6:46 pm

I'm 3.

Today is my third anniversary of joining ICM, which I mark as the beginning of my cinephilia. I had watched a lot of movies before joining ICM (I literally found ICM by googling "how to keep track of what movies you've seen"), even many quality ones, but that was always for pure entertainment, and not out of any sort of innate love of cinema. After finding ICM, I started thinking "you know, if these movies are so classic/important that they're on 30+ top lists, I should probably watch them at some point, right?" And that was how it started for me.

From there, I started discovering new films. And liking them. And expanding my horizons. Fortunately, I had the foresight to set up my spreadsheet about a month after joining ICM. So I can see things like the 46 lists (mostly country lists) I'd never seen a film from when I joined. Or the fact that I've watched 400+ films on the TSPDT? list over the past three years.

So how "old" are you? What's your origin story?

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I'm about 26 years old in cinephile years. It goes back to childhood and the movies my father introduced me to, a mix of Westerns, war movies, and Bond flicks. Early favorites included The Spy Who Loved Me, Goldfinger, The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, Stalag 17, The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, High Plains Drifter, The Magnificent Seven, Rio Bravo, and Nevada Smith. I watched each of those several times over by the times I was 12.

In those days of video rental, I'd head to the video store on Friday and take out two movies. I'd watch one Friday night and the other Saturday morning, and then I'd repeat the ritual on Saturday. My father quickly ran out of movies to recommend to me.

albajos

Post by albajos » April 8th, 2019, 6:59 pm

27. The year I started with Film as a optional subject in high school, and the year I saw Citizen Kane

1992 I started to go more often to the cinema, and first time I saw two movies in cinema in a day

other milestones:
1994 - buying Cinemania CD-ROM and Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide
1996 - First time visiting imdb
and I think I joined a norwegian film forum in 1998? (It existed until last year, but we have moved platform once so all the old stats are gone)
Last edited by albajos on April 8th, 2019, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Started watching movies in significant amounts around 1998, when I started collecting VHS. My cinephile-birth was in 2004 when I got my first cable internet connection and I got a copy of 1001MYMSBYD. That sparked my interest in older movies. Joined iCM in 2012 after googling for some rare titles and stumbling upon this forum.

So my age is 21, if you count the period of collecting and watching mainstream or it is 15 if you consider the moment when I dived deeper.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » April 8th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Hmmm... 10?
I can't quantify this very well... I watched a slew of films that stuck with me when I was younger (like 9-15 years old) and then a LOT when I was in college in the late 80s/early 90s.
Then literally nothing or close to nothing until abut 1997(mostly because I voluntarily went homeless, so no home= no TV). From there sporadically until ~2008 when I picked it up again in earnest.
Never kept track of a damn thing until late 2011 when I finally started keeping a film log.

beavis

Post by beavis » April 8th, 2019, 7:36 pm

I became a member of the "cultvideotheek" in 1993 (at the age of 17)
started to keep my first "filmlog" in 1996, also went to my first film-festival that year (a genre festival in my home town)
bought my first DVD-player in 1999, also the first year I went to the IFFR (never missed a year since)
in 2000 I bought my first bootleg VHS-tapes through the Internet (VSOM)
in 2001 I began writing reviews for magazines (which I did untill 2004/2005)
in 2005 I became a member of MovieMeter.nl
in 2006 I got my first "unlimited card" for the cinema
in 2007 I became a member of the Cinehound forum, and because of that
in 2008 I discovered CG
in 2010 I discovered KG, ADC
in 2011 I discovered ICM, the KG+ICM combination made me move from cult a bit more towards art, although I have been and will be watching both forever. but that really opened doors to delve into film history in ways I wasn't able to do before!

so it's 1993 or 2010...
but in any case, I have been binging on movies for longer than I can remember :) I'm still on Internet fora, I have a collection of hundeds of VHS and many thousands of DVD and Blu-Rays, meet a lot of friends socially through fora, at festivals and at film-quizzes and try to see as many movies in the cinema as possible. Since the end of last year I am also on Netflix… don't know if that is the end of an era... but its here :)

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » April 8th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I started watching movies in a more "serious" manner when I was in high school, by going through the IMDB top 250. Was having fun with it, but I remember when I was about 17 years old, some mates wanted to go out, but I wasn't in the mood. I popped in Solyaris, expecting your run of the mill sci-fi and was completely blown away by its atmosphere, though most of it probably went over my head.

Afterwards, I started collecting DVDs, much to the annoyance of my parents, who wanted me to do better things with the money. I have fond memories of scouring through the bargain bins in the limited stores of my small northern Romanian town, looking for a new film to add to my collection. When I got hold of some more money, I ordered movies from Amazon. The buys I am most proud of (in my limited collection) are a Collector's Edition of Taxi Driver and a steelbook edition of Sin City.

When college started, I stopped watching as many movies because of time constraints. That was about the same time I discovered ICM. I made an account on the forum a few years later, watching some challenges and discussions, lurking basically. Well, college ended, my life finally stabilized somewhat and I found more time to restart my old hobby about two or three years ago.

I am now planning on restarting my physical movie collection, though I doubt I will be able to keep all the DVD/BR cases since they take too much space.

All in all, I'd say I'm about 10 years old in cinephile years. :wub:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 8th, 2019, 8:00 pm

shugs wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 7:53 pm
I am now planning on restarting my physical movie collection, though I doubt I will be able to keep all the DVD/BR cases since they take too much space.
I put all my dvds in slimcase and throw away the original case, unless it's some special case.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

beavis

Post by beavis » April 8th, 2019, 8:02 pm

shugs wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Was having fun with it, but I remember when I was about 17 years old, some mates wanted to go out, but I wasn't in the mood. I popped in Solyaris, expecting your run of the mill sci-fi and was completely blown away by its atmosphere, though most of it probably went over my head.
very relatable. At that age I started to seek out my first arthouse movies. Tarkovsky was one of the first names to seek out and I just loved Nostalghia, like nothing I had seen before, but I felt I really understood what it was about, even though a lot seemed very abstract. Early 90's was also a good time for East-European film at my local art-cinema. I saw my first Bartas, Tarr and Sokurov films between 1993 and 1997 (including Satantango, which was for the longest time my most astounding cinematic experience)

I also fell in love with the works of Hal Hartley at the time. I had less admiration for Fellini and some other big names (slow drama's I couldn't yet relate to), but I more than made up for that later :)

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » April 8th, 2019, 8:43 pm

I guess 67 years, or when I went to away to school in 1952 and saw my first foreign film (Jeux interdits).
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » April 8th, 2019, 9:35 pm

I'm just over 10. That's when I started watching top lists anyway.

Up until then I'd always watched films, and I don't think it's unusual for the first films you really get into stick with you in some way. So maybe about 18 years ago I first started to watch films here and there, stuff like Blade Runner. It's kind of depended on my situation over those years on how many I watch, falling in and out of watching all the time. I don't think my taste has changed that much over the years but always picking up new favourites on the way, sometimes changing my mind about old favourites.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » April 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm

4 months since I found this forum. Always watched a good amount of movies and series. 2 years ago I found ICM and started watching some older known movies. Found this forum late december and have been ticking off a lot of movies.

I'm 24 years old now and know I still have a lot of good movies that I haven't seen yet. It's nice this way.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 8th, 2019, 11:16 pm

13 (first internet, imdb, 2006)
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 8th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Around 10 years for when I started obsessively watching. When I was 18 and when rateyourmusic started incorporating films into their site. I started seeing quite a few when I was around 11-12 though, when a friend showed me Requiem for a Dream. At 14 was a milestone when I first saw Eraserhead, and went for the more praised films.

RBG

Post by RBG » April 8th, 2019, 11:21 pm

sometime in the 90s when turner classics began? google says this was 1994. so roughly 25, not counting occasional foreign films via pbs
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 9th, 2019, 12:14 am

I guess 14. I always liked movies, but pretty much only watched what my dad rented and mostly horror. I found the IMDb top 250 when I was 14 in 2005 and thought it would be fun to expand my film watching.

I joined icm in late 2009 and quickly finished off the top 250 and moved onto other lists like TSPDT, which I finished in 2014. We made the forum in 2011 which has been a huge influence on my watching too, especially as I had never really talked to anyone about film before that (except on icm FB group). Started studying film production in 2015 and theory/history in 2017 which didn’t teach me much about film specifically but helped me see another side.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

fori

Post by fori » April 9th, 2019, 2:47 am

6, I transitioned from anime obsession to film obsession in early 2013 during my last year of high school. Live action films by anime directors (Mamoru Oshii, Katauhiro Otomo, etc) as well as Akira Kurosawa and the documentary Godspeed You! Black Emperor fueled this. My first check on ICM was GITS: Innocence, and was a very deliberate choice.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » April 9th, 2019, 3:23 am

I'm probably approaching my 9th anniversary. I always cared about films a bit more than the average person, but it really became a hobby and passion in 2010, as a distraction from major depression. I've had a couple of wobbles during this time, a few 3-6 month periods of not watching many films, but the enthusiasm always returns a some point. I've not been able to watch much this year due to a long trip, but I'm heading home today in fact and I'm excited to get stuck back in!
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 9th, 2019, 3:50 am

Hmm... There are several ways I could count it. I always watched a lot of movies with my parents when I was a kid, so the seeds were planted early. Orson Welles, films noir, spaghetti westerns, along with more mainstream movies were a staple of my early movie watching life. So in that regard I'm almost 40 years a cinephile.

Moving to the US and discovering Netflix (on DVD) resulted in a very long queue right away (I discovered the original 500 titles limit the same day I signed up), so the interest was always there, but a couple of years in I found myself bored with the movies I was watching. I figured I should go back to my roots and watch some older movies and came across, purely by chance, the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. I'd already seen about 1/3 of them, so I figured why not finish the list and expand my horizons as well? That was around 2007-2008 and I began a long journey towards completing that list. I joined iCM on December 25th 2009 when I came across a link to it on the TSPDT site and was bowled over by all those wonderful lists. So you could argue I'm a 12 year old cinephile or a 9 1/2 year one. It's all a matter of perspective.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » April 9th, 2019, 4:44 am

i got seriously into arthouse 2003 so maybe 16 but watched tarantino and a lot of movies before that too

cinewest

Post by cinewest » April 9th, 2019, 6:46 am

Good thread, maxwelldeux, and also nice to see that I'm not the only old fogey participating (still under 60, but much older than most who post, here) on these boards.

I grew up during the Age of Television, but was restricted from watching very much, and developed more of a taste for the movies, most of which I saw on TV, late night on the weekend with my mom (Hollywood musicals and dramas, mostly) or Westerns (my favorite), and later Noir, which I gorged myself on when I was on vacation at my grandparent's.
As a teen, I began going out to the cinema with my friends, and cultivating my taste more by watching new films by the young American directors of the 70's, as well as backtracking through earlier classic hollywood comedies and dramas whenever they played on TV.

As my interest was increasing in high school, I suddenly had an awakening at 16 when I was home with the Chicken Pox. Coincidentally, PBS was having their annual pledge drive on TV, and during the course of it airing the entire Janus Collection as part of a movie marathon. That's when I not only discovered subtitled films, but also discovered Bergman, Kurosawa, Fellini, and so many other "art house" filmmakers, and from there it was off to the races.

I feel fortunate that San Francisco (my home town) was not only full of art house movie theaters, but also had 15+ theaters that screened older films (usually as double bills), and changed their programs nightly. I also feel fortunate that I had a grandfather interested in these kinds of movies (as I didn't have any friends who were), and we often went to shows together (I remember discovering Bunuel, for example, at a festival showing more than 20 of his films).

When I got to college, though I was interested in film as a major, I began with literature, and later changed to creative writing, even as I took several film classes, and later made short films with a friend in graduate school who I met in one of those. We also became companions at the double features playing around town (nothing like seeing a movie on the big screen), seeing stuff from every era in the 80's.

As we were also trying to get our films into film festivals, we began attending them, as well, and that (in the late 80's and early 90's) is where I discovered a second wave of great, more contemporary filmmakers working in a foreign language. I am talking about Von Trier, Kieslowski, Kiarostami, etc.

Over the years, my taste has continued to evolve and change just as I have, and my passion for cinema has been stoked as I have continued to make new discoveries, as well as rediscover films I wasn't ready for at an earlier time. It is that sense of continued discovery, and an ever deepening sense of the medium as an art form that has continued to enthrall me over the years.

That's 40+ years, I guess
Last edited by cinewest on April 9th, 2019, 10:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 9th, 2019, 7:07 am

July 2004, the summer after my first year of grad school. I'd started watching movies the year before (2003 was the first year I cared about the Oscars) but that's when I started caring about the medium rather than just what was well reviewed at the moment or a handful of classics. Slowly started working on the imdb top 250, then on TSPDT in late 2005/early 2006. So I guess 15 years now, which seems simultaneously like a really long time and not long at all.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » April 9th, 2019, 7:57 am

I started getting interested in movies around 2006. Before 2006 I only watched movies occasionally, and I think I had watched about 200 movies in total.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » April 9th, 2019, 8:13 am

I guess I'm around 5,as I really started going to the movie theater regularly and then seeking out older films somewhere in 2014.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 9th, 2019, 8:14 am

Armoreska wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 11:16 pm
13 (first internet, imdb, 2006)
My first Oscars ceremony was 1998, the one with Titanic. After that, there was a long dry spell of mostly school and gaming and some reading and checking TV schedules. Time lost that could've been used to watch movies.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda » April 9th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Interesting question, and interesting answers so far.

Two perspectives in my case as well : I'm probably 10 because that's when I started to build a detailed ranking and dig into movie lists. The first list I really gave credit to was the top 100 from Cahiers du Cinéma. Nearly every movie on that list resulted painful to me but I was sure it was the path to follow.
Then I discovered Kubrick, Pasolini, Tarr, Tarkovski and a generation of filmmakers that could be labeled as 'subversive' and who still influence my tastes nowadays.

In 2013, my life changed dramatically, I watched less and less movies. Depression was never far away and movie were not the cure to this one. But since last year my life is 'stable' again and the passion reemerged, but in a more peaceful way. I enjoy movies more, I'm more patient, more mature and I'm not as dismissive as before. So maybe I'm truly 1 year old.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » April 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm

I'll be turning 18 in a few months. I have always traditionally used September 2001 as my cinephilia birth since that's when I registered on IMDb, but I had been exploring films beyond what my friends were watching ("older" and foreign language movies) for a few months before registering on IMDb - a site that I only discovered after trying to find info on a movie not listed in the Halliwell's film guide - which was my very first go-to source for movie information.

I'll try to timeline things since others have tried to do so to:

Some key dates:

December 2000 - Given Halliwell's Film Guide for my 14th birthday
Early 2001 - I buy my first DVD player for around $300 with money saved
September 2001 - I register for an account on IMDb to keep track of films seen
Mid/Late 2002 - I begin talking about movies on the IMDb message boards
2005 to 2006 - I amass over 2000 VHS movies as video libraries get rid of stock
Mid/Late 2008 - I start to use eBay to purchase rare/older films from overseas
February 2017 - I register on the iCM Forum and iCM after the IMDb boards implode
March 2017 - I slowly begin to transform into a check whore using iCM as a bible
Mid/Late 2017 - I buy my fourth DVD player (name brand and all) for around $60
February 2018 - I start to become movie obsessed due to max's Challenge Olympics
December 2018 - My life changes as max introduces to me to kanopy
January 2019 - I finally bow in and sign up for Netflix
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » April 9th, 2019, 5:38 pm

A little over 5 years.

I've always kept track of the movies I owned on DVD. Shortly after purchasing Gladiator, I was looking at all the Oscar best picture winners that I had accumulated at the time, and thought might as well get them all. It evolved into working all the nominees and then IMDb's top 250 from there. It's really snowballed since. For those curious, this is essentially an imperfect breakdown of what I'd seen prior to then and what I've seen since.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » April 9th, 2019, 6:18 pm

65 years, since I was born in the town where they filmed "The Blob".

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 9th, 2019, 6:22 pm

WalterNeff wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 6:18 pm
65 years, since I was born in the town where they filmed "The Blob".
The Blob was released only 61 years ago. Was there a causal connection between The Blob (the movie) or the blob (any actual blobs out there) and your interest in movies?

wasabi

Post by wasabi » April 10th, 2019, 2:21 am

2 years 7 months. Starting from when M brought me to see Badlands, and The Thing @Film Forum.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 10th, 2019, 3:48 am

wasabi wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 2:21 am
2 years 7 months. Starting from when M brought me to see Badlands, and The Thing @Film Forum.
That would be a hell of a double bill. Literally.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 10th, 2019, 5:40 am

I knew I was young, but kinda happy to see a few other "youngsters" around here...

And this has been a fascinating read, everyone! Thanks for sharing!

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 10th, 2019, 1:41 pm

I'm about 15 years I guess, starting from the time I registered at moviemeter.nl (= the time I started keeping track of my votes for the first time - I was 23 at the time).

I got infected a little earlier of course. I was a big (Japanese) RPG fan when I was a kid, that sparked my interest in anime (films like Akira, Ghost in the Shell) which eventually led to Japanese live action cinema. Films like Tetsuo and Eraserhead were big turning points, it showed me that film was more than a narrative and could be approached in the same way I approached music: an experience, an abstract feeling.

Classic cinema never really appealed to me, in the same way classic anything never really appealed to me. I did have phases were I like commercial, arthouse and genre cinema more than others, but after a while all of that evened out.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 10th, 2019, 3:08 pm

very Interesting topic, cool to read every one's backstory and introduction to cinephiledom here :thumbsup:

I'm about 14-15 years old I guess. I 2003 I registered at the Fok! forum (hence the name) first to talk about politics, but after a few years I got drawn to their film board. Which lead to me watching more and more movies (more than the casual viewer amount I did before, though I was always the introverted type that rather stayed home to watch a movie, tv or play videogames). I also started to write (short) reviews then for the "what did you watch"-threads, which I from 2006 also posted on my blog. (Which died down since a few years, cause I don't update it anymore). The tournaments we held on Fok! to determine our favorite movie for a year, genre, director etc. introduced me to a lot of older classic and other less casual viewer stuff and really turned me on to movies. Another forum I visited regular those days and furthered my development a cinephile was filmtotaal.

In 2009, I think, I started to volunteer at the local arthouse cinema, (alas I stopped doing that end of last year), which allowed me to watch movies there for free, and in 2010 I got a "Pathe unlimited" card, which allowed me to watch an unlimited amount of movies for a fixed price a month in the regular cinemas here; those two things increased my cinema visits a lot.

I think it was also around 2009-2010 I visited my first film festival (IFFR) and started to volunteer there.

In May 2009 I became a member of iCM, in 2012 I became a member here and when I got more active here a few years later you guys opened my eyes to even more cinematic highlights.

(To put everything in perspective I'm 37y old now)

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 10th, 2019, 5:37 pm

I joined IMDB on december 2010, and ICM in september 2011. So I guess I must be about 9, although I think I'm closer to 8 because I only got into older movies after joining IMDB. I remember the IMDB top 250 as the first list I worked on, but strangely I don't recall the film that made a special impression on me and spark my interest for movies.
I wasn't really into films that much back then, I was way more into music and I had an Excel spreadsheet with all the albums I had listen to and one for every year. So I must have sign up to IMDB to keep track of the films I've seen because I don't wanted to bother with a spredsheet for films too.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 10th, 2019, 6:42 pm

How about the way tech and business have affected our cinephilia?

- I was born into a VHS and movie theater paradigm. Those were the ways to see movies throughout the 1990s, though I caught a few movies on TV.
- Then DVDs came along, but they didn't really change much because they fit right into the video store network.
- Then came two big changes in the 2000s: Netflix and DVR/Tivo. Netflix was somewhat important (back when it was just a dvd mailing service, which is the version of netflix I prefer), but DVR was huge. From 2005 to 2011 it defined how I saw movies. It was just a lot easier to stockpile movies and see them when you could record them easily.
- And since about 2014, most of my movie watching has moved online, through youtube, streaming services, and the informal network of movie sharing in certain online forums.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » April 10th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Great topic!

I'm around 11-12 years. My IMDB account was made in 2009, ICM account in 2010, account on these forums in 2011. I started going actively to the local cinematheque in 2012, in 2013 I attended my first film festival in the same city and reached my first goal, which was to complete a IMDB Top 250 list from 1st April 2011. In 2014 I got my Rogert Ebert's Great Movies bronze. Knew around then that I had to study film and started preparing for this. Started reading more about film. In 2015 I started a year of Film Studies and wrote reviews for new films for a student website. The next year I started my master's in film studies, and this was also the first year going to film festivals outside my country (Berlin and Pordenone) and the first year volunteering for a festival. In 2017 I joined a local film club, took a course on 35mm projection, spent two weeks in a film archive and I achieved a bronze award for the TSPDT list. In 2018 I finished my master thesis and became the manager of the local film club. In 2019 I started my PhD in cinema studies.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » April 10th, 2019, 9:48 pm

I'm not sure how to answer this question. If I'm being generous, I could claim about 35 years old, which goes back to college days when I started discovering arthouse/indie films (mostly English-language). Films like Brazil, Repo Man, Stranger Than Paradise/Down by Law, Ran and Paris, Texas were epiphanies. I also enjoyed some free on-campus film series, which most notably introduced me to Fritz Lang silents. I started renting a lot of arty films during the waning years of the VHS age, but of course my spectrum was limited to the local stores' modest inventories. And I didn't have cable TV until about 1996, so TCM wasn't a factor. My tastes continued in a deviant vein, but maybe I've only been "hardcore" for about 11 years, which was when I started doing more systematic IMDb research and (belatedly) discovered bootlegged films on the Web. What really launched the hardcore phase was a random visit to my public library, where the Foreign section happened to catch my eye and make me curious about a lot of unfamiliar films. I scribbled down a bunch of titles on a scrap of paper and....

I wish I knew exactly when I started maintaining an explicit "watchlist"...it was certainly long before I joined ICM. I'd guess around 2005 or 2006.

If I could do it over again, I would start keeping a film log back in the '80s and would give IMDb ratings to every film I see. But it's too late now...I seriously feel like I'm running out of older films that interest me. Hello barrel-bottom, nice to meet you.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » April 11th, 2019, 1:41 am

@Ebbywebby

"If I could do it over again, I would start keeping a film log back in the '80s and would give IMDb ratings to every film I see. But it's too late now...I seriously feel like I'm running out of older films that interest me. Hello barrel-bottom, nice to meet you."

Not sure what exactly you mean by "older films," but I have been surprised to discover how little people here are familiar with a recent decade like the 2000's, especially in terms of films made in another language other than English.

There is so much out there, now, and so many high quality films been made all over the world that it is just impossible to keep abreast of them, even for film critics who are paid to do so.
A perfect example of what I am talking about is reflected in mathewscott's 2009 project here on this board, where he has made a list of "acclaimed films" from as many sources he can find, and plans to see more than 350 from that year as part of his investigation.

I thought I had seen a lot from the 2000's until I came to this board, and found people who have see 2 and 3 times what I have, but then, at the same time, I am surprised to discover that in their numbers, they have seen no more than half of what I have carefully chosen for myself from any of those years.

I guess what I am saying is "dig deeper" and you may be surprised what you find, especially if you are open to seeing films from anywhere in the world, and "check out the 2000's" if you have truly exhausted film rich decades like the 60's (ST.GLOEDE is a great resource there).