Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

outdoorcats

iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

Post by outdoorcats » February 24th, 2019, 4:25 am

Welcome to the planning stage of the third iCM Film Festival, where programmers can sign up and help select this year's upcoming program!

Anyone can sign up :cheers: , but if you're interested, keep reading.

Eligible films will be restricted to films released in 2016 or after according to IMDb. Number of votes is slightly flexible - less than 10,000 is preferred, but some great selections will have 10,000-20,000 votes. If you want to be a programmer, go ahead and search your favorite films from 2016-2019 with less than 20,000 votes. Then post them on here with a short description (it only needs to be a sentence)

Films that already have had a significant spotlight on them are ineligible as well. There's some subjectivity here. Make your case and we'll decide as a group!

One big takeaway from both jurors and programmers alike from last fall is that there were too many films. I have two solutions for this. One is that this year's festival will premiere earlier. Let's say we need to submit our list to the jury for consideration by July 15, and start the festival earlier in fall. The other is that programmers will this time rate the films on the following scale: 3 (strongly recommend), 2 (recommend), 1 (mildly recommend) and 0 (do not recommend). [There will be no negative vote option] This will give us more specific numbers to work with so we can figure out a reasonable cutoff score that brings our numbers back down a little.

This year I'm asking that all programmers commit to watching (3) films from every other programmer's recommended list after you sign up. For one or all of those 3 you could alternatively substitute a previously-agreed upon cross-watch or SWAP with that programmer.

I also need more help organizing things than in previous years. I would love to even get to a point where I can transition to someone else taking the reins on this, because every year it becomes harder to me to put this together (I work full time and take classes as well). But it would be sad for the festival to stop in my absence. So if anyone is interested in such a leadership position let me know. In the meantime, I need some programmers to sign up for A) help writing descriptions of each film for the jury (this would be done in summer), B) someone to help tally Audience Award votes, C) festival promotion and D) a "discussion squad" to interact with users on the discussion threads (either with their own thoughts or open-ended questions). I really suck at the last one - I tend to be pretty burnt out on all this once the festival starts - so that's a big one.

And of course we need users to help select our shorts program (Carmel and PdA, back for more?).

Alright, my own recommendations as a programmer are coming shortly. If anything I wrote about how to do this wasn't clear than hopefully my sample should clear it up...

Previous years programming:

Last edited by outdoorcats on March 9th, 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 24th, 2019, 4:27 am

(your descriptions don't have to be this long)

My "3s"

An Elephant Sitting Still (Bo Hu - 2018)
The intersecting lives of four people over the course of one day in a Chinese city that may as well be on another planet, stripped of all hopes and dreams and with no possibility of returning to Earth. Almost four hours long, this was the director's only feature before he committed suicide at 29. May or may not be readily available by summer.

Long Day's Journey Into Night (Ban Gi - 2018)
Bi Gan needs no introduction. This may or may not be easily available by summer.

Ismael's Ghosts (Arnaud Desplechin - 2017)
A filmmaker's dead wife comes to visit him and his girlfriend on holiday in Desplechin's most difficult, but ultimately rewarding film. Perversely, the film seems to accelerate in greatness even as the plot veers wildly out of control.

Shirkers (Sandi Tan - 2018)
Remember Shirkers, the early '90s, Jarmusch-esque classic, beloved of cinephiles worldwide, which put Singapore on the map? Well of course you don't, because midway through the editing process, the film's mysterious producer inexplicably stole all the reels and vanished without a trace from the lives of the film's cast and crew. Tan's documentary reconstruction of the mystery of her unfinished film deserves comparison to other classic self-reflexive documentaries such as The Gleaners & I, Exit Through the Gift Shop and Stories We Tell.

Columbus (Kogonada - 2017)
A film seemingly about nothing which was one of the most beautiful films of 2017, IMO. But the "plot" is this: a Korean man arrives in Columbus Ohio to see his architect father who has fallen into a coma. He strikes up a friendship with a young woman who admires his father's architecture and they have a series of conversations about architecture and life. That's basically it, but it's not so much what it's about than how it's made.

It's Only the End of the World (Xavier Dolan - 2016)
Dolan's incredibly stylish and well-acted adaptation of a classic '90s play about a man dying of AIDS who returns home to his estranged family.

I Am Not Your Negro (Raoul Peck - 2016)
The voice of Samuel L. Jackson reads from James Baldwin's final unfinished novel, Remember This House, interspersed with with breaktakingly relevant clips showcasing Baldwin's skills as an orator and passionate civil rights advocate.

Custody (Xavier Legrand - 2017)
An incredibly tense psychological thriller about a custody battle over a young child. Made me sick to my stomach. In a good way? :shrug:

Diamantino (Gabriel Abrantes and Daniel Schmidt - 2018)
An incredibly silly and fairy-tale esque satire about a man-child soccer star, a holy innocent, who becomes unwittingly embroiled in sci-fi political thriller involving right-wing conspiracies and cloning. Don't forget the giant fluffy puppies. May or may not be available by summer.

Rafiki (Wanuri Kahiu - 2018)
A very, very charming and likable lesbian-themed Kenyan film. The Show Me Love for a new generation. May or may not be available by summer.

The Workshop (Laurence Cantet - 2017)
The director of The Class directs this more thrilling take on the academic film when one of the students in a high school writer's workshop disturbs his classmates with chillingly detailed descriptions of violence against minorities in his fiction. The director of the workshop, however, takes a keener interest in him.

Styx (Wolfgang Fischer - 2018)
A German emergency doctor on vacation on her yacht in the Atlantic must make horrifying moral choices when she encounters a sinking ship of migrants. May not be readily available by festival time.

Jeune femme [aka Montparnasse Bienvenue (Léonor Serraille - 2017)
A compelling tale of extreme downward mobility about a thirty-something woman who finds herself broke and with nowhere to stay after her photographer boyfriend dumps her.

Harmonium (Kôji Fukada - 2016)
A bizarre, unpredictable and eerie moral fable begins with a respectable family man inviting an ex-con to live with them, to his family's bewilderment.

The Rehearsal (Alison Maclean - 2016)
A first year acting student crosses ethical boundaries when he starts to mine the personal life of one of his friends for the end-of-year show at his school. Maclean has a keen visual eye and she captures the exhilaration of new university students seeming to find where they belong for the first time as well as she captures the cracks that start to appear on that harmonious surface.

My "2s"

The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki (Juho Kuosmanen - 2016)
An incredibly charming and sweet romance, beautifully shot in newsreel-esque B&W, is the true (and unlikely) story of a Finnish featherweight boxer who had a shot at the 1962 world title.

Galveston (Mélanie Laurent - 2017)
A bleak and grimy Southern crime drama with a wounded heart and an arthouse visual flair. Laurent's Breathe was a highlight of our first FGFF if I remember correctly.

El bar (Álex de la Iglesia - 2017)
A very funny, entertaining and thrilling horror/satire with Romero-esque political commentary.

Burning Sands (Gerard McMurray - 2017)
A controversial take on fraternity hazing rituals at American HBCUs which heralds McMurray as a rising talent in American independents.

First Girl I Loved (Kerem Sanga - 2016)
An uncomfortable-- in a good or at least relatable way--tale of teenage angst in this LGBT-themed drama. This ain't no Love, Simon.

Have a Nice Day (Liu Jian - 2017)
The MacGuffin in this animated Chinese satire is a bag containing one million yuan which continually changes hands, leaving a string of bodies and a tangled web of human greed in its wake.

Bloody Milk (Hubert Charuel - 2017)
A dairy farmer who loves his cows like pets goes to increasingly desperate lengths to try and protect them from being slaughtered when he discovers one of them with a mad-cow like disease. (kind of similar to Rams, but with more of a Hitchcockian suspense/thriller vibe)

Keeping track of my cross-watches:

Fergenaprido:

1. Apprentice - 2 (recommended)
2. Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo - 0 (not recommended)
3. El Amparo - 2 (recommended)

beavis:

1. 3/4 - 3 (strongly recommended)
2. The Last Family - 1 (mildly recommended)
3. Rey - 3 (strongly recommended)

Ivan0716:

1. Bad Genius - 1 (mildly recommended)
2. Sunday's Illness - 2 (recommended)
3. Quién te cantará - 3 (strongly recommended)

sacmersault:

1. Ex Libris: The New York Public Library - 3 (strongly recommended)
2. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail - 3 (strongly recommended)
3. Southwest of Salem: The Story of the San Antonio Four - 2 (recommended)

flaiky:

1. Winter Brothers - 3 (strongly recommended)
2. Gemini - 2 (recommended)
3. The King - 3 (strongly recommended)
Last edited by outdoorcats on July 4th, 2019, 6:04 pm, edited 22 times in total.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 24th, 2019, 6:06 am

If I don't want to commit to being a programmer, and I still allowed to suggest films for the programmers to watch?

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 24th, 2019, 6:17 am

I'd like to be a programmer again this year.
- I'm cool with your proposed scoring system
- I'll add my recs later
- Shall I set up the spreadsheet again for this year?
- Seen 1 of your recs already (the Dolan film), and two are high on my watchlist (Columbus and Rafiki - so envious that you had the chance to see this one already, and I'm really hoping it becomes available in some format this year)

beavis

Post by beavis » February 24th, 2019, 8:37 am

I recognise the "being a bit done with the festival" at the time it is actually starting :)
I was a programmer for the first time last year, but some things in the process were rather vague for me (more communication and clear dissicion making always helps me)
But I do like your suggestions for adjustment, and if people will have me, I will try to do my programming bit again.

beavis

Post by beavis » February 24th, 2019, 8:46 am

your recs:

this will be released in theathers on the 6th of june in the Netherlands. so I think I could watch it in time. At 4 hours it might not be the most popular choice, but word of mouth is incredibly strong on this one.

Have seen it and will strongly support it. I have seen it pop up online already too

this is on my watchlist, and I can get it through Netflix

Have seen it, could support it

Have seen it and surely support it

Have seen it and could support it, but had hoped that it would be more similar to their short work

Will get a cinema release here from may 23th, will definetely check it out

Have seen it and would strongly support it

Have seen it, but don't want to support it much (I gave it a 7 I think, so nothing real bad, but not much to like for me either)

---

So that is already three from your list that I will watch
I also would watch El Bar and Galveston
and can give my support for Have a Nice Day

beavis

Post by beavis » February 24th, 2019, 9:36 am

I have 20 recs, all "3 - strongly recommend"

(number, title, year, imdb code, imdb votes, category)

1 - Long Day's Journey into Night 2018 - tt8185182 - 896 - Asia, Arthouse
2 - Somniloquies 2017 - tt6656324 - 28 - Arthouse
3 - Classical Period 2018 - tt7967600 - 44 - Arthouse
4 - Okko's Inn 2018 - tt8328740 - 86 - Animation
5 - Sarah Joue un Loup Garou 2017 - tt6305236 - 115 - Europe, Arthouse
6 - 3/4 2017 - tt7133384 - 186 - Arthouse
7 - Akher Wahed Fina (The Last of Us) 2016 - tt6589330 - 120 - Afrika, Arthouse
8 - Drift 2017 - tt7197544 - 51 - Arthouse
9 - La Idea de un Lago 2016 - tt5541206 - 162 - South-America, Arthouse
10 - Vuelven 2017 - tt4823434 - 925 - Just Before Dawn
11 - Jonaki (Firefly) 2018 - tt6346982 - 62 - Asia, Arthouse
12 - Cartas da Guerra 2016 - tt4704422 - 632 - Arthouse
13 - Au Poste! 2018 - tt7156222 - 1597 - Just Before Dawn
14 - Foxtrot 2017 - tt6896536 - 4440 - Asia, Arthouse
15 - Ostatnia Rodzina (the last family) 2016 - tt5936692 - 2480 - Europe, Arthouse
16 - In den Gängen 2018 - tt6263618 - 2188 - Europe, Arthouse
17 - Hikari (Radiance) 2017 - tt6165792 - 1053 - Asia, Arthouse
18 - Oiktos (Pity) 2017 - tt6746304 - 987 - Europe, Arthouse
19 - Jupiter's Moon 2017 - tt5842890 - 2142 - Europe, Arthouse
20 - When They Knit Seriously (Close Knit) 2017 - tt5633706 - 966 - LBGTQ

I see on-line prescense for all except 4, 6 and 10 at the moment, so maybe could provide viewing-material for 17 of them
will put in some discriptions in my following post
Last edited by beavis on February 24th, 2019, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » February 24th, 2019, 11:55 am

My taste can be a bit obscure at times, but a big part of the festival is the discovery of special things that get lost in the shuffle. maybe because they are a hard sell and don't have a story that can be captured in a single sentence. So I hope I can widen the scope as far from the mainstream as possible. I am happy that it turned out a lot of movies high on my list were selections from the Locarno festival and also by female directors.

1 - Long Day's Journey into Night
Already suggested, and rightfully so. An incredible moodpiece, especially in the final hour-long 3D one-take, I liked the dreamlike quality of it. This is where most of the focus goes, as the story can be a bit vague at times (making it hard to pick everything up at a first viewing), and is less important

2 - Somniloquies
From the directors of Caniba. This one is based on the recordings of someone who was a very active "sleep talker". To accompany the many strange dreams are even stranger close-up images from a camera gliding over sleeping people. Another incredible mood piece that is at times funny, weird and insightful into human psychology.

3 - Classical Period
Young American Indie like I have never seen it before. The director is influenced by Straub-Huillet and that shows. For some this very formalisticly rigorous piece featuring introverted "nerdy" persons, playing mostly themselfs, might amount to nothing but pretentiousness, but I found it highly endearing and strangely relatable. One of my more special discoveries of last year.

4 - Okko's Inn
Anime with all the charm and quirks you might expect. I am not sure this has gotten a wider release yet, as I saw it at a festival last year. Hard to write a short discription for it. It reminded me a lot of Miyazaki in the theme's of the story and the sweet politeness of the young girl that is the main character. But the style has a lot more quirks and weird humor, those more well versed in manga and anime than me could describe it a lot better.

5 - Sarah Joue un Loup Garou
This character study of a young shy girl impressed me a lot! Sarah might seem a bit weird to the outside world, but when the director very subtly shows a home situation where a hidden abuse is going on, things fall into place and the whole thing just becomes heartbreaking.

6 - 3/4
This is another formalistic arthouse piece where "Three Quarters" is a multi-layered title refering to the 3:4 image format, the 3:4 configuration of the family, and I'm sure other meanings besides (music is another element). But it also is an accesible and finely acted movie about a family spending a summer together, where it slowly becomes clear that this will be a last summer that they will be together like this. Very bittersweet.

7 - Akher Wahed Fina (The Last of Us)
A mysterious one. A surrealistic roadmovie of sorts that could be an allegory for refugees on their way from Africa to Europe, but leaves a lot open for interpretation. Again I liked the dreamlike quality of the journey. Not sure what I took away myself from the movie besides that, but I found it special enough to reccomend. There is not any other African movie I can name that is similar to this.

8 - Drift
The best movie for me of 2018. Yet another minimalistic, rigorous, formalistic arthouse piece. Especially in the middle where there is a looooong sequence that just shows waves, during an ocean crossing by boat. Travel and communication are the themes. The style is beautifully contrained like the cinema of Angela Schanelec, who might have been an influence. It also made me think of Margueritte Duras, but I think that is just something I am projecting on it myself.

9 - La Idea de un Lago
The second movie I've seen from Milagros Mumenthaler, but it already makes her one of the most interesting Argentinian directors I know (and that country has a few very good ones!). Another one that I find hard to describe. It deals with memory and nostalgia in various ways. I think it is also a very personal film. But often the personal events that shape who we become, are also universally relatable. It helps that everything is so beautiful to look at.

10 - Vuelven
An unique fantasy approach to adress some of the brutally violent aspects of modern Mexican society. In this case the abduction and abuse of children. A bit of cute animation doesn't make this any less brutal, but it is one of the many touches that make this movie a very special experience. It doesn't hit you on the head with a message, but through the experience there will be a lot to talk about at the end.

11 - Jonaki (Firefly)
Dreamlike and nostalgic. I have used these words before and boy, they also apply 100% to this movie!! This film is made around the director's memories of his grandmother who had recently died and inspired him to make it. He also used a lot of images from his dreams. A friend of mine called this an Indian "Zerkalo". So it is hermetic and cryptic, and entirely different in this from his amazing debut feature "Labour of Love". But it is equally beautiful, maybe even more so!

12 - Cartas da Guerra
Based on the letters the famous Portugese writer António Lobo Antunes wrote to his wife while he was a military doctor during the war in Angola. The letters are read in voice-over and accompanied by breathtaking black-and-white images of Angola to hypnotic effect. So it is not in any way a conventional war story. I could compare it with Mallick's Thin Red Line maybe. The language is beautiful, especially, I thought, in an erotic letter that is also included.

13 - Au Poste!
Superb absurdistic comedy. Benoît Poelvoorde is an actor made for this stuff and I think I have never seen him better than here. Best not to know much about the story beforehand.

14 - Foxtrot
The widest released movie from my selections I think, but still not entirely mainstream. The director added some nice surreal/absurd touches to this story about fate and tragedy around young soldiers posting at a border in the middle of nowhere.

15 - Ostatnia Rodzina (the last family)
Very well made drama film based on the life of the amazing Polish painter Zdzisław Beksiński. Tragedies with his mentally troubled son and finally his murder are convincingly portrait. It also give a very good picture of Poland at the time and of the exentric character of Beksinski himself.

16 - In den Gängen
The lives of people who work in the supply departments of a big store. Their monotony, but also hopes and dreams. Another bittersweet experience. With the hottest German actors of the moment, Franz Rogowski and Sandra Hüller.

17 - Hikari (Radiance)
A story about a young woman who writes audio descriptions of movies for visually impaired people. So it is a movie about watching, or about finding meaning in images to be more precise. With the usual nuanced style of Naomi Kawase this becomes something beautiful instead of tacky, as the idea might seem at first glance.

18 - Oiktos (Pity)
Absurdism from Greece about a man who thrives on the pity he receives while his wife is in a coma. When she wakes up from it one day his happy sad routine gets shaken up. The dark comedy takes the concept across certain edges that might not make it work for some, but besides funny I also found it psychologically interesting.

19 - Jupiter's Moon
Beautifully shot movie that combines current issues of migration with surreal fantasy elements like "The Last of Us". The directorial style of Kornél Mundruczó is clearly visible, but I found this one slightly less transgressive than some of his earlier work. Not mainstream accesible perse, but I think a lot of people will find a lot to like here.

20 - When They Knit Seriously (Close Knit)
Naoko Ogigami is a very origal director of small quirky movies with absurist touches and a very sweet mellow vibe. Her latest movie is no different. It tells the story of eleven year old Tomo who suddenly has to live with her uncle. The girlfriend of the uncle happens to be transgender. This causes some confusion, but mostly a lot of lovely scenes about human beings being great.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 24th, 2019, 5:06 pm

mjf314 wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 6:06 am
If I don't want to commit to being a programmer, and I still allowed to suggest films for the programmers to watch?
Sure, though I can't guarantee we'll get around to them.
Fergenaprido wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 6:17 am
Yes, thank you, your spreadsheet is amazing!

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 24th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Excellent beavis, great work! Some of the titles most readily available to me are 3/4, Jupiter's Moon, and The Last Family.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 25th, 2019, 2:21 am

Will there be categories like last time?

For the animation category, I suggest La Casa Lobo (2018). I watched it yesterday and the director was there for a Q&A. I think Svankmajer fans will love it. When asked about his artistic influences, he first mentioned Lynch's Eraserhead, and then he mentioned Svankmajer.

The story didn't interest me very much, but the animation and artwork are good. It's like the artwork you might see in an art museum or gallery. In the Q&A he explained how much it was filmed in various museums.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZUz_KhFzgc

For the animation category I also suggest In This Corner of the World (2016). Fans of Grave of the Fireflies will probably like it, but I think it has a more peaceful and relaxing feeling.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBe-uHhlNs

My last suggestion is Poesía Sin Fin (2016), directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. I'm not sure which category it should be in. The cinematography is great, like Jodorowsky's other films. I think it's one of the best films about an artist that I've seen.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suyruCTA2I4

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 25th, 2019, 12:30 pm

I'd like to sign up! Will post my recs once/if I'm accepted.

beavis

Post by beavis » February 25th, 2019, 3:20 pm

-In This Corner of the World was a 7,5 for me, it didn't resonate as much with me as with some of my friends...
-Poesía Sin Fin a solid 8, but it is a sequel to his other autobiographical movie La danza de la realidad (2013) wich was a very solid 9 for me... so I'm not sure if I should reccomend that one on its own.
-La Casa Lobo is on my watchlist, I'll make sure to check it out in time (haven't got much room in my plans for the coming month and a bit, but I won't forget it).

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 26th, 2019, 1:26 am

You're accepted Ivan, or rather, there's no need for acceptance; if you want in, you're in!

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 26th, 2019, 2:07 am

beavis wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:20 pm
-Poesía Sin Fin a solid 8, but it is a sequel to his other autobiographical movie La danza de la realidad (2013) wich was a very solid 9 for me... so I'm not sure if I should reccomend that one on its own.
I didn't know it was a sequel. I guess I'll have to watch La danza de la realidad.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » February 26th, 2019, 4:14 am

Just FYI: I am interested again, but I'm on another long trip and wouldn't be able to do much until mid-April ish. Probably best that I don't commit until I'm back, so maybe I could just see how you're doing around then?
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 26th, 2019, 7:39 am

outdoorcats wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 4:25 am
I also need more help organizing things than in previous years. I would love to even get to a point where I can transition to someone else taking the reins on this, because every year it becomes harder to me to put this together (I work full time and take classes as well). But it would be sad for the festival to stop in my absence. So if anyone is interested in such a leadership position let me know. In the meantime, I need some programmers to sign up for A) help writing descriptions of each film for the jury (this would be done in summer), B) someone to help tally Audience Award votes, C) festival promotion and D) a "discussion squad" to interact with users on the discussion threads (either with their own thoughts or open-ended questions). I really suck at the last one - I tend to be pretty burnt out on all this once the festival starts - so that's a big one.
I don't think I can be commit to being a programmer or juror this year, given life and film-watching goals, but I love the concept of this (and really enjoyed juror-ing last year), so I want to help.

A) not my strong suit
B) I'd be happy to do this - it's totally in my nerd zone...
C) I'm quite into the challenges, so I'll be promoting it there...
D) I'm definitely in for the documentary section, and I'll do what I can for what I see of the others...

EDIT: That second one is supposed to be a "B" followed by a ")", but the Smilie codes are hilarious and I'm leaving it.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 26th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Quién te cantará (2018. Carlos Vermut) [Spain]
A Carlos Vermut joint through and through, that alone already makes it impossible for me not to admire this, but it also quite clearly draws influence from two of my top 50 films of all time...well, I had no chance really. I need to sit on this for a few days but it might juuust edge out Magical Girl as my favourite of his. Not sure how comfortable I am recommending this to someone who isn't already familiar with his work(If you're a "plot" guy, an open mind may be required), but Vermut is filmmaker that deserves a lot more attention, so here we are. Available on Netflix.

Holiday (2018, Isabella Eklöf) [Denmark]
Deeply unsettling. Somehow manages to maintain a sense of uneasiness throughout its runtime despite spending a significant portion of it reveling in the calm, relaxing atmosphere of the Turkish Riviera. The director named Ulrich Seidl as her main source of inspiration, and it's very obvious. Might not be available in time.
Warning: contains a scene of graphic sexual violence(that no male filmmaker would even dream of getting away with)

Sunday's Illness (2018, Ramón Salazar) [Spain]
YMMV depending on your tolerance for the melodramatic, which in my case is pretty low. However, I was completely won over by the gorgeous rural photography, and two of the - and I will fight anyone on this - absolute finest leading performances of 2018 in Barbara Lennie and Susi Sanchez. Didn't care much for the plot, but didn't hamper my enjoyment neither. Available on Netflix.

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (2017, Mouly Surya) [Indonesia]
Indonesia's submission for the 2019 Oscars. A minimalist satay western following a woman's revenge on the group of mountain bandits who raided her house and attempted to rape her. Again, picking this one mainly for the insane cinematography and central performance, also has that rural aesthetic that appeals to me personally.

A Gentle Creature (2017, Sergey Loznitsa) [Russia]
"Fuck bureaucracy" is probably my favourite sub-genre of Eastern European cinema. A Kafka-esque(with a capital K) journey of a woman who is determined to figure out what happened to her incarcerated husband after the packages she sent to him are mysteriously returned. The final half-hour is quite bonkers(and divisive I would imagine), still can't decide whether or not it actually works but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

The Wild Boys (2017, Bertrand Mandico) [France]
A psychedelic gender-bender from perhaps the most exciting visual artist working right now. Kind of like a Guy Maddin film for people who think Guy Maddin films are too uneventful...or don't feature enough phallic-shaped plants.

Bombshell: A Hedy Lamaar Story (2017, Alexandra Dean) [USA]
I'm sure Hedy Lamaar needs no introduction round these parts. A documentary on the fascinating life of one of the most beautiful screen divas of her time, and how that very beauty became her greatest obstacle. There are a couple of "eh" moments that had me questioning the intent of the filmmakers, but I think they will make for interesting discussion points more than anything.

One Cut of the Dead (2017, Shin'ichirô Ueda) [Japan]
A zombie comedy that breathes new life into the genre, may take a while to get going depending on how perceptive you are. A low budget production that(I believe) had its initial run at only one local cinema and went on to become an international cult hit for its originality.

Lover for a Day (2017, Philippe Garrel) [France]
A 23 year old woman(Esther Garrel!!) moves back home after breaking up with her boyfriend, and discovers that her dad is in a relationship with someone the same age as her. Very French. Very Garrel.

Bad Genius (2017, Nattawut Poonpiriya) [Thailand]
A Thai "heist film" about a group of student who makes a business out of helping people cheat their exams, an interesting premise backed up by great use of thriller techniques.

Glory/Slava (2016, Kristina Grozeva, Petar Valchanov) [Bulgaria]
Bulgarian satire on bureaucratic absurdity/hypocrisy, and how no good deed goes unpunished. To be honest I can't remember a whole lot about this film, other than the feeling of utter hopelessness it left me in.

Would also like to nominate two Chinese films: Angels Wear White (2017, Vivian Qu) and The Wasted Times (2016, Cheng Er), but in case we don't want too many of those, I would rather support Long Day's Journey and An Elephant Sitting Still instead.

There are a couple of 2018 releases I'm still waiting on, Carlos Vermut's Quién te cantará will have a DVD release very soon and will definitely make my nominations if it's anything like his previous films.
Last edited by Ivan0716 on March 1st, 2019, 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » February 26th, 2019, 4:13 pm

nice!

- Holiday (2018, Isabella Eklöf) [Denmark]
very much looking forward to this one, don't know yet how to see it

- Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (2017, Mouly Surya) [Indonesia]
Seen it, and am sorry to say I can not give my vote for this one. I see what you are saying about the esthetic, but the whole concept is just not for me, felt a bit weak.
If you had picked the Indonesian "Seen and Unseen" (Sekala Niskala, 2017), I would have been behind it 100%

- A Gentle Creature (2017, Sergey Loznitsa) [Russia]
Loznitsa is great, this movie is good, that ending indeed. Support from me.

- The Wild Boys (2017, Bertrand Mandico) [France]
Yeah it is like Maddin, and I could name a few other influences, but for me the execution of this idea was a dissapointment. So only the idea and a few cool visuals remained... can not reccomend it.

- Lover for a Day (2017, Philippe Garrel) [France]
Very Garrel indeed. Always a great watch, even if this is not nearly his greatest work. support from me

- Bad Genius (2017, Nattawut Poonpiriya) [Thailand]
I was curious about this one, but missed it when it played CinemAsia last year (or the year before already...?)... I might put it on my watchlist

Might look into some of the other titles (unknowns to me at the moment) a bit closer later

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 26th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Ok, I've seen these from you guys:
Long Day's Journey Into Night
An Elephant Sitting Still
Columbus
Galveston
El Bar
Pity
Poesía Sin Fin

Will support them all except Galveston and Pity. If we're using the rating system I'm gonna wait until I've seen almost everything I intend to, but Long Day's Journey Into Night and Columbus are hard-3s.

Diamantino and Styx and high on my watchlist, Jupiter's Moon I'll probably see within the week since I can stream it. Will need to check on the availability of the others.

@beavis: Seen and Unseen looks interesting, will watchlist that as well!

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 27th, 2019, 11:35 pm

beavis wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:13 pm
- Holiday (2018, Isabella Eklöf) [Denmark]
very much looking forward to this one, don't know yet how to see it
A WEB-DL just popped up online yesterday, so I guess Amazon released it in some regions recently(definitely not UK though).

EDIT: looks like a censored/cut version.

And Netflix must have read my post, because they put up Quién te cantará today, completely unannounced. :banana: Wish I had noticed earlier, will have to wait til tomorrow to watch it now.

EDIT2: Yep, added Quién te cantará to my list above
Last edited by Ivan0716 on March 1st, 2019, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » February 28th, 2019, 6:22 am

Quién te cantará And Sundays Ilness are also available to me through Netflix, i will add them to my watchlist
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Imagine festival in Amsterdam to screen Holiday

wasabi

Post by wasabi » March 2nd, 2019, 3:48 am

My suggestion:

1. Animation: La Casa Lobo I really liked the movie, and I didn't even want to blink my eyes so I wouldn't miss anything of it.

2. The House That Jack Built:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4003440/vi ... _=tt_ov_vi
My second Lars von Trier movie, Jack is probably the most interesting serial killer I saw on screen (could also be I haven't seen enough serial killers :P)

3. I want to recommend An Elephant Sitting Still but I didn't see it yet...going to see it next week, with actor Q&A. It's Hu Bo's first and last movie. I believe it's available online, but I prefer to see it in theater.

For In This Corner of the World I just copy and paste from @beavis: it didn't resonate as much with me as with my friend. I think it's just OK...

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 2nd, 2019, 11:05 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 7:39 am
outdoorcats wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 4:25 am
I don't think I can be commit to being a programmer or juror this year, given life and film-watching goals, but I love the concept of this (and really enjoyed juror-ing last year), so I want to help.

A) not my strong suit
B) I'd be happy to do this - it's totally in my nerd zone...
C) I'm quite into the challenges, so I'll be promoting it there...
D) I'm definitely in for the documentary section, and I'll do what I can for what I see of the others...

EDIT: That second one is supposed to be a "B" followed by a ")", but the Smilie codes are hilarious and I'm leaving it.
Great, I'll PM you maybe a couple weeks before the festival starts (5-6 months from now?) to make sure you're still in and we'll figure stuff out from there. :cheers:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 3rd, 2019, 3:09 am

Sounds good!

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » March 6th, 2019, 8:24 am

Yay! I'm in as programmer. I really like the suggestion on the new rating system and watching each other's films. I'll post my suggestions as soon as I go through the eligible films I've seen for that period.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » March 6th, 2019, 8:30 am

outdoorcats wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 4:27 am
(your descriptions don't have to be this long)

My "3s"

The intersecting lives of four people over the course of one day in a Chinese city that may as well be on another planet, stripped of all hopes and dreams and with no possibility of returning to Earth. Almost four hours long, this was the director's only feature before he committed suicide at 29. May or may not be readily available by summer.

Bi Gan needs no introduction. This may or may not be easily available by summer.

Ismael's Ghosts (Arnaud Desplechin - 2017)
A filmmaker's dead wife comes to visit him and his girlfriend on holiday in Desplechin's most difficult, but ultimately rewarding film. Perversely, the film seems to accelerate in greatness even as the plot veers wildly out of control.

Remember Shirkers, the early '90s, Jarmusch-esque classic, beloved of cinephiles worldwide, which put Singapore on the map? Well of course you don't, because midway through the editing process, the film's mysterious producer inexplicably stole all the reels and vanished without a trace from the lives of the film's cast and crew. Tan's documentary reconstruction of the mystery of her unfinished film deserves comparison to other classic self-reflexive documentaries such as The Gleaners & I, Exit Through the Gift Shop and Stories We Tell.

A film seemingly about nothing which was one of the most beautiful films of 2017, IMO. But the "plot" is this: a Korean man arrives in Columbus Ohio to see his architect father who has fallen into a coma. He strikes up a friendship with a young woman who admires his father's architecture and they have a series of conversations about architecture and life. That's basically it, but it's not so much what it's about than how it's made.

Dolan's incredibly stylish and well-acted adaptation of a classic '90s play about a man dying of AIDS who returns home to his estranged family.

I Am Not Your Negro (Raoul Peck - 2016)
The voice of Samuel L. Jackson reads from James Baldwin's final unfinished novel, Remember This House, interspersed with with breaktakingly relevant clips showcasing Baldwin's skills as an orator and passionate civil rights advocate.

Custody (Xavier Legrand - 2017)
An incredibly tense psychological thriller about a custody battle over a young child. Made me sick to my stomach. In a good way? :shrug:

An incredibly silly and fairy-tale esque satire about a man-child soccer star, a holy innocent, who becomes unwittingly embroiled in sci-fi political thriller involving right-wing conspiracies and cloning. Don't forget the giant fluffy puppies. May or may not be available by summer.

A very, very charming and likable lesbian-themed Kenyan film. The Show Me Love for a new generation. May or may not be available by summer.

The Workshop (Laurence Cantet - 2017)
The director of The Class directs this more thrilling take on the academic film when one of the students in a high school writer's workshop disturbs his classmates with chillingly detailed descriptions of violence against minorities in his fiction. The director of the workshop, however, takes a keener interest in him.

Styx (Wolfgang Fischer - 2018)
A German emergency doctor on vacation on her yacht in the Atlantic must make horrifying moral choices when she encounters a sinking ship of migrants. May not be readily available by festival time.

A compelling tale of extreme downward mobility about a thirty-something woman who finds herself broke and with nowhere to stay after her photographer boyfriend dumps her.

A bizarre, unpredictable and eerie moral fable begins with a respectable family man inviting an ex-con to live with them, to his family's bewilderment.

The Rehearsal (Alison Maclean - 2016)
A first year acting student crosses ethical boundaries when he starts to mine the personal life of one of his friends for the end-of-year show at his school. Maclean has a keen visual eye and she captures the exhilaration of new university students seeming to find where they belong for the first time as well as she captures the cracks that start to appear on that harmonious surface.

My "2s"

The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki (Juho Kuosmanen - 2016)
An incredibly charming and sweet romance, beautifully shot in newsreel-esque B&W, is the true (and unlikely) story of a Finnish featherweight boxer who had a shot at the 1962 world title.

Galveston (Mélanie Laurent - 2017)
A bleak and grimy Southern crime drama with a wounded heart and an arthouse visual flair. Laurent's Breathe was a highlight of our first FGFF if I remember correctly.

El bar (Álex de la Iglesia - 2017)
A very funny, entertaining and thrilling horror/satire with Romero-esque political commentary.

Burning Sands (Gerard McMurray - 2017)
A controversial take on fraternity hazing rituals at American HBCUs which heralds McMurray as a rising talent in American independents.

First Girl I Loved (Kerem Sanga - 2016)
An uncomfortable-- in a good or at least relatable way--tale of teenage angst in this LGBT-themed drama. This ain't no Love, Simon.

Have a Nice Day (Liu Jian - 2017)
The MacGuffin in this animated Chinese satire is a bag containing one million yuan which continually changes hands, leaving a string of bodies and a tangled web of human greed in its wake.

Bloody Milk (Hubert Charuel - 2017)
A dairy farmer who loves his cows like pets goes to increasingly desperate lengths to try and protect them from being slaughtered when he discovers one of them with a mad-cow like disease. (kind of similar to Rams, but with more of a Hitchcockian suspense/thriller vibe)

I love a lot of your suggestions. A lot of them are in my list.

An Elephant Sitting Still, Long Day's Journey into the Night, Columbus, Diamantino and Rafiki are very high on my list and I have some of them, so I'll choose 3 of these to watch.

I've seen I Am Not Your Negro & Custody and super recommend both!

I also saw El Bar and I personally thought it was really bad.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » March 6th, 2019, 8:34 am

beavis wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 9:36 am
I have 20 recs, all "3 - strongly recommend"

(number, title, year, imdb code, imdb votes, category)

1 - Long Day's Journey into Night 2018 - tt8185182 - 896 - Asia, Arthouse
2 - Somniloquies 2017 - tt6656324 - 28 - Arthouse
3 - Classical Period 2018 - tt7967600 - 44 - Arthouse
4 - Okko's Inn 2018 - tt8328740 - 86 - Animation
5 - Sarah Joue un Loup Garou 2017 - tt6305236 - 115 - Europe, Arthouse
6 - 3/4 2017 - tt7133384 - 186 - Arthouse
7 - Akher Wahed Fina (The Last of Us) 2016 - tt6589330 - 120 - Afrika, Arthouse
8 - Drift 2017 - tt7197544 - 51 - Arthouse
9 - La Idea de un Lago 2016 - tt5541206 - 162 - South-America, Arthouse
10 - Vuelven 2017 - tt4823434 - 925 - Just Before Dawn
11 - Jonaki (Firefly) 2018 - tt6346982 - 62 - Asia, Arthouse
12 - Cartas da Guerra 2016 - tt4704422 - 632 - Arthouse
13 - Au Poste! 2018 - tt7156222 - 1597 - Just Before Dawn
14 - Foxtrot 2017 - tt6896536 - 4440 - Asia, Arthouse
15 - Ostatnia Rodzina (the last family) 2016 - tt5936692 - 2480 - Europe, Arthouse
16 - In den Gängen 2018 - tt6263618 - 2188 - Europe, Arthouse
17 - Hikari (Radiance) 2017 - tt6165792 - 1053 - Asia, Arthouse
18 - Oiktos (Pity) 2017 - tt6746304 - 987 - Europe, Arthouse
19 - Jupiter's Moon 2017 - tt5842890 - 2142 - Europe, Arthouse
20 - When They Knit Seriously (Close Knit) 2017 - tt5633706 - 966 - LBGTQ

I see on-line prescense for all except 4, 6 and 10 at the moment, so maybe could provide viewing-material for 17 of them
will put in some discriptions in my following post
I've heard of only a couple of these films and have seen none.

I'll probably watch Vuelven since I have it and Foxtrot since I've been wanting to watch it. Do you strongly recommend another not too hard to find?

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » March 6th, 2019, 8:37 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Quién te cantará (2018. Carlos Vermut) [Spain]
A Carlos Vermut joint through and through, that alone already makes it impossible for me not to admire this, but it also quite clearly draws influence from two of my top 50 films of all time...well, I had no chance really. I need to sit on this for a few days but it might juuust edge out Magical Girl as my favourite of his. Not sure how comfortable I am recommending this to someone who isn't already familiar with his work(If you're a "plot" guy, an open mind may be required), but Vermut is filmmaker that deserves a lot more attention, so here we are. Available on Netflix.

Holiday (2018, Isabella Eklöf) [Denmark]
Deeply unsettling. Somehow manages to maintain a sense of uneasiness throughout its runtime despite spending a significant portion of it reveling in the calm, relaxing atmosphere of the Turkish Riviera. The director named Ulrich Seidl as her main source of inspiration, and it's very obvious. Might not be available in time.
Warning: contains a scene of graphic sexual violence(that no male filmmaker would even dream of getting away with)

Sunday's Illness (2018, Ramón Salazar) [Spain]
YMMV depending on your tolerance for the melodramatic, which in my case is pretty low. However, I was completely won over by the gorgeous rural photography, and two of the - and I will fight anyone on this - absolute finest leading performances of 2018 in Barbara Lennie and Susi Sanchez. Didn't care much for the plot, but didn't hamper my enjoyment neither. Available on Netflix.

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (2017, Mouly Surya) [Indonesia]
Indonesia's submission for the 2019 Oscars. A minimalist satay western following a woman's revenge on the group of mountain bandits who raided her house and attempted to rape her. Again, picking this one mainly for the insane cinematography and central performance, also has that rural aesthetic that appeals to me personally.

A Gentle Creature (2017, Sergey Loznitsa) [Russia]
"Fuck bureaucracy" is probably my favourite sub-genre of Eastern European cinema. A Kafka-esque(with a capital K) journey of a woman who is determined to figure out what happened to her incarcerated husband after the packages she sent to him are mysteriously returned. The final half-hour is quite bonkers(and divisive I would imagine), still can't decide whether or not it actually works but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

The Wild Boys (2017, Bertrand Mandico) [France]
A psychedelic gender-bender from perhaps the most exciting visual artist working right now. Kind of like a Guy Maddin film for people who think Guy Maddin films are too uneventful...or don't feature enough phallic-shaped plants.

I'm sure Hedy Lamaar needs no introduction round these parts. A documentary on the fascinating life of one of the most beautiful screen divas of her time, and how that very beauty became her greatest obstacle. There are a couple of "eh" moments that had me questioning the intent of the filmmakers, but I think they will make for interesting discussion points more than anything.

One Cut of the Dead (2017, Shin'ichirô Ueda) [Japan]
A zombie comedy that breathes new life into the genre, may take a while to get going depending on how perceptive you are. A low budget production that(I believe) had its initial run at only one local cinema and went on to become an international cult hit for its originality.

Lover for a Day (2017, Philippe Garrel) [France]
A 23 year old woman(Esther Garrel!!) moves back home after breaking up with her boyfriend, and discovers that her dad is in a relationship with someone the same age as her. Very French. Very Garrel.

Bad Genius (2017, Nattawut Poonpiriya) [Thailand]
A Thai "heist film" about a group of student who makes a business out of helping people cheat their exams, an interesting premise backed up by great use of thriller techniques.

Glory/Slava (2016, Kristina Grozeva, Petar Valchanov) [Bulgaria]
Bulgarian satire on bureaucratic absurdity/hypocrisy, and how no good deed goes unpunished. To be honest I can't remember a whole lot about this film, other than the feeling of utter hopelessness it left me in.

Would also like to nominate two Chinese films: Angels Wear White (2017, Vivian Qu) and The Wasted Times (2016, Cheng Er), but in case we don't want too many of those, I would rather support Long Day's Journey and An Elephant Sitting Still instead.

There are a couple of 2018 releases I'm still waiting on, Carlos Vermut's Quién te cantará will have a DVD release very soon and will definitely make my nominations if it's anything like his previous films.
I've been dying to see Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts and The Wild Boys and have both. I, also, want to see Angels Wear White.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » March 6th, 2019, 8:39 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 2:29 pm
However I've seen this one and thought it was very flat and didn't have much to offer.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » March 6th, 2019, 8:41 am

wasabi wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 3:48 am
My suggestion:

1. Animation: La Casa Lobo I really liked the movie, and I didn't even want to blink my eyes so I wouldn't miss anything of it.

2. The House That Jack Built:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4003440/vi ... _=tt_ov_vi
My second Lars von Trier movie, Jack is probably the most interesting serial killer I saw on screen (could also be I haven't seen enough serial killers :P)

3. I want to recommend An Elephant Sitting Still but I didn't see it yet...going to see it next week, with actor Q&A. It's Hu Bo's first and last movie. I believe it's available online, but I prefer to see it in theater.

For In This Corner of the World I just copy and paste from @beavis: it didn't resonate as much with me as with my friend. I think it's just OK...
I really want to watch La Casa del Lobo. I detested The House that Jack Built. An Elephant Sitting Still is in the top of my list. In this Corner of the World is in my list but not super excited to watch.

beavis

Post by beavis » March 6th, 2019, 8:58 am

I reccomend all of them strongly
and like I said before, I can find 17/20 for you if you are interested
I'm not quite familiar with your taste yet to reccomend anything specifically

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » March 6th, 2019, 9:26 am

My recommendations:

LA 92 (2017): A view of the OJ Trial & the Watts riots through archival footage.
Devil's Freedom: A documentary about the violence in Mexico from those who have been through it and those that cause it.
The Rider (2017): A young cowboy suffers a head injury and tries to come to terms with what being a man means.
Ex Libris: The New York Public Library (2017): A look at the inside workings of the New York Public Library.
After the Storm (2016): A father struggles to come up with child-support money and connecting with his son and ex-wife.
Heaven Will Wait (2016): Two girls are conviced to become brides for ISIS. They are caught and try to deal with the brainwashing, but will that be enough?
Southwest of Salem (2016): Four Latina lesbian friends are convicted of sexually abusing two young girls and fight to be found not guilty.
Author: The JT LeRoy Story (2016): The woman who fooled the literary world and explains how she did it and why.
Museo (2018): One of the biggest museum heists of the world is done in 1985 in Mexico City by two young, inexperience men.
The Heiresses (2018): Two old, broke socialite woman have to adjust to a new type of life after one of them is put in jail.
Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017): A young girl discovers that a flower gives her magical powers.
Ana y Bruno (2017): A little girl is taken with her mother to a psychiatric hospital only to find that she has to fight a demon with the help of a motley crew of imaginary individuals.
Support the Girls (2018): A manager at a Hooters-knock off restaurant struggles to help her employees.
Lost in Paris (2016): A French-Canadian woman decides to travel to Paris to visit her aunt, only to get there and everything go unlike she expected.
King Cobra (2016): A campy film about the gay porn industry and what people are willing to do to squash the competition.
Vox Lux (2018): The rise of a young girl from tragedy to pop stardom.
Spoor (2017): An older woman who lives in a small town begins to experiment a series of violent acts in her town.

If anyone can find it:
Ayer Maravilla Fui (2017): An entity that swaps bodies to live falls in love and requestions his life.
Two Irenes (2017): A girl discovers that her father has another family, including a daughter named Irene, like her.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » March 6th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
Hey Ferg, the list of films is getting a bit long for me to track in this topic so I hope you don't mind that I've taken it upon myself to start the spreadsheet. I'm not one for presentation but should be a good enough starting point at least.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Should have every film mentioned so far on there except The House that Jack Built(it has 27k+ votes)

Also, I'm guessing the list will only get longer, how do you guys pick which films to watch? :sweat:

beavis

Post by beavis » March 6th, 2019, 1:26 pm

I've added my scores.

I'm picking first the movies that I already had an interest in, second what is available to me and sounds good and third if the pitch of the promotor makes it sound good on its own. I'm starting slow, waiting on things that will get released in my part of the world in cinemas (CinemAsia is starting this week, Imagine is coming soon) and hopefully planning in some films through Netflix (two Spanish ones and Shirkers for now). Because at this time I am mostly delving into "Doubling" and other things I had already planned to watch.

Ayer Maravilla Fui sounds and looks very cool, but I have not found it yet. Not sure yet about the other reccs from Sacmersault, seems like a lot of documentaries, and those are usually not really my thing... I skipped the Rider when it played in cinemas because the trailer looked afwul to me (I'm aware of all the praise it has gotten :))... but I'll try to make sure to watch at least three... Vox Lux is coming to my cinemas very soon for instance.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 6th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
Hey Ferg, the list of films is getting a bit long for me to track in this topic so I hope you don't mind that I've taken it upon myself to start the spreadsheet. I'm not one for presentation but should be a good enough starting point at least.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Should have every film mentioned so far on there except The House that Jack Built(it has 27k+ votes)

Also, I'm guessing the list will only get longer, how do you guys pick which films to watch? :sweat:
Sorry Ivan, I got bogged down this weekend when I planned to do it. I don't mind at all. Thanks for stepping in. This upcoming weekend looks less stressful, so I can copy everything into the same doc we used last year (or I may be able to do it tonight/tomorrow night). I was thinking it would be useful to have the previous list of films handy as a reminder list, and also to ensure we don't renominate films that were already featured. I can also update the links and votes on the weekend. Would that be okay?

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » March 6th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Great! There's no need to hurry, just whenever you can spare the time.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 6th, 2019, 9:34 pm

flaiky wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:14 am
Just FYI: I am interested again, but I'm on another long trip and wouldn't be able to do much until mid-April ish. Probably best that I don't commit until I'm back, so maybe I could just see how you're doing around then?
Sure, and hopefully you have an awesome trip!

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 6th, 2019, 9:36 pm

@sacmersault - Awesome, great to have you on board! One film I noticed on your list, After the Storm, we already had in the festival two years ago. I am very familiar with the story behind "Southwest of Salem" so I'm super-interested to learn more about it through the doc. Very interested in The Rider, Ex Libris, and Spoor as well.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 6th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Great work Ivan, and looking forward to it Fergen!