Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

flaiky

Re: iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

Post by flaiky » May 18th, 2019, 1:30 pm

I've added Madeline's Madeline to the spreadsheet. I imagine you're all familiar with it and probably a couple have seen it? If that's the case then enthusiasm must not be high, but I thought it was remarkable.

I've been slow with watching your recs, sorry, I was ill for two weeks and have had some distracting personal stuff going on...anyway, I did get round to Angels Wear White. A bleak film that I found difficult to watch, but it has an effortless authenticity and top-notch performances. Very good.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 7th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Saw a few more, so updating my tracker.

Watched The Rider; it gets a solid 3 from me. Not 100% my cup of tea, but something so very different from what I've seen before I think it firmly deserves a spot in the lineup, even if it is fairly well-known.

Watching a bunch of gay movies for Pride month (plus, I just need some feel-good romantic movies... even though the ones I've seen turned out to be less happy than I thought they would, lol) that I'd like to recommend (and I've added to the spreadsheet:

Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo [Théo et Hugo dans le même bateau] (2016 France)
Mario (2018 Switzerland)
Heartstone [Hjartasteinn] (2016 Iceland)

All three are 3s for me.
Watching Other People's FilmsShow
3 and 2 will be :thumbsup: while 1 and 0 will be :down:
Italics will be films I plan to see, but of course that may change if something else comes available or is nominated.

outdoorcats
1. Columbus (2017) :thumbsup:
2. Custody (2018) :thumbsup:
3. Bloody Milk (2017) :thumbsup:

beavis
1. Drift (2017) :down:
2. 3/4 (2017)
3. Somniloquies (2017) or Foxtrot (2017)

Ivan0716
1. Holiday (2018)
2. Lover for a Day (2017)
3. Bad Genius (2017)

sacmersault
1. The Rider (2017) :thumbsup:
2. The Heiresses (2018)
3. Vox Lux (2018) or King Cobra (2016)

flaiky
1. Lean on Pete (2017)
2. Weiner (2016)
3. Wallay (2017)

beavis

Post by beavis » June 10th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Update of my viewings of the other programmers choices:

outdoorcats
An Elephant Sitting Still - 3.5 stars and 7.5/10 (I had expected a masterpiece from all the praise, but I could't quite go along with all the thick layered on angst and youthful anger)
Rafiki - 3.5 stars and 7/10 (vibrant and fun, even if all the story-beats are familiar, predictable and a bit naive in their execution)

Ivan0716
One Cut of the Dead
Quién te cantará - 3.5 stars and 7/10 (very stylish but it didn't resonate with me in any believable way)
Sunday's Illness - 4 stars and 8/10 (this was beautiful, very strong acting, strong direction, strong images)

sacmersault
LA 92
Vox Lux
Mary and the Witch's Flower - 4 stars and 7.5/10 (very cute, the story is stricktly at a young kids level, but an exciting ghibli-esque adventure nonetheless)

Fergenaprido
Ash Is the Purest White
Hotel Salvation - 3.5 stars and 7.5/10 (luckily the humor is warm and the story not tóo sentimental, because otherwise it would be just a glossy soap movie)
Hjartasteinn - 4 stars and 8/10 (seen this a long while back, I remember liking the actors and style very much, the story is not something that has stayed with me)

flaiky
Thunder Road
Cuba and the Cameraman - 4 stars and 7.5/10 (cuba is fascinating, so this glimpse into it, across decades, is special just for existing)
Madeline's Madeline - 4 stars and 8.5/10 (had expected much and was not dissapointed, nicely disorienting, and moly parker and miranda july are in it!)

So if I watch Shirkers this week for outdoorcats, I've managed three viewings of all your selections! faster that I had thought. How is everybody coming along with mine? Need some links to point you in the right direction? just give me a shout.
Other films I am also still planning to see at this time: Angels Wear White, Shuttle Life, The Innocents and Wallay

beavis

Post by beavis » June 10th, 2019, 8:56 pm

For the just before dawn section we might not have enough options at the moment.... From my selections i think Vuelven and Au Poste are good options. I might also reccomend In Fabric and Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings if you'd allow me more nominations. I'm still looking to get hold of Holiday. Not sure about the popularity of El Bar and Galveston, but i have those ready too. Any other suggestions? Maybe also from a few genre buffs reading this...

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 15th, 2019, 5:14 am

Should we maybe add the films that qualified last year but for being too recent or there being too many options were left out? I remember the Doc section and a couple of others had very good movies left out solely because they were 2017 or 2018

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 15th, 2019, 7:24 am

sacmersault wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 5:14 am
Should we maybe add the films that qualified last year but for being too recent or there being too many options were left out? I remember the Doc section and a couple of others had very good movies left out solely because they were 2017 or 2018
Aside from On Body and Soul, I don't remember anything else that was dropped from the slate last year. All the films are in the spreadsheet still, though, and looking at the list of leftover films at the bottom, only Shadow World appears to have had support last year but hasn't yet been included as an option this year. Feel free to nominate anything from the lower section and move it up to the main section, I would say.

In terms of the categories, looking at what is tagged right now, here's where we stand in terms of number of films. There is plenty of overlap, though, with most films being eligible for at least 2 categories.
Animation: 5
Arthouse: 30
Asia-Africa: 28
Documentary: 16
Europe: 46
Just Before Dawn: 7
Independent English-language: 18
Latin America: 14
LGBT+: 13

Untagged: 14

Looks like we need more contenders for Animation and Just Before Dawn, and possible Documentary, Indie, Latin America, and LGBT, depending on how much consensus arises in those categories and how much overlap there is. Arthouse, Asia-Africa, and Europe all have more than enough contenders at the moment.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 15th, 2019, 2:26 pm

I've added some titles to the spreadsheet to provide a few more contenders where needed

El Ángel (LBGT, Latin)
Another Day of Life (Anim, Doc)
In Fabric (Dawn)
Realive (Dawn)
Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang (Dawn)

Also The Girl Without Hands (Anim) could be pulled up to the upper half

Also added my new votes from the last few days
Shirkers - 7.5
Shuttle Life - 7
Holiday - 7,5 (probably will hit better with an (edgy) arthouse crowd than with a genre crowd… hard reccomendation, but interesting movie)
The Innocents - 7,5
Angels Wear White - 7,5

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 15th, 2019, 10:28 pm

The animated zombie film Seoul Station could double in either the animation or JBD categories, anyone else interested in seeing it?

By the way I'm about to get some time off from work and school this summer so I'll take the opportunity to watch a bunch of titles and fill up my cross-watch list.

A couple more LGBT titles that have my interest (and are readily available for me to watch ;p ) -

Don't Call Me Son
BPM (Beats Per Minute) - You'd think this would have more votes but on IMDb it only has a little over 10,000.
Arianna

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 16th, 2019, 2:09 am

I've seen quite a few animation films this year, but I don't know if they're available to see. For example:

The Tower (2018) - How has a family of Palestinians lived in their life through different ages
Captain Morten and the Spider Queen (2018) - A child who daydreams enters a world where he must fight the Spider Queen and become an true captain
The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales... (2017) - Several stories of animals in funny situations
Another Day of Life (2018) - A Polish man in Angola goes as far as possible to discover the truth about what happened at the beginning of the civil war
Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles (2018) - Luis Bunuel organizes a short film about people in an isolated part of Spain
Tehran Taboo (2017) - How people are forced to break taboos in order to live in Tehran

Some of these are recommended but not amazing
Last edited by sacmersault on June 16th, 2019, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 16th, 2019, 3:54 am

Captain Morten and the Spider Queen, The Big Bad Fox, and Tehran Taboo all seem decently available at a glance. What did you think of Tehran Taboo?

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 16th, 2019, 4:08 am

I didn't like the animation style. The story is ok. Of the ones I mentioned, It's in my opinion the weakest, but I think it deserves a watch.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 16th, 2019, 5:23 am

I've added a few that I nominated last year:

Casting JonBenet (2017) Doc - people from the town where the murder happened reenacting what could have happened
Cold Skin (2017) Dawn - A man goes off to a lighthouse where he will be by himself for a year and discovers creatures
Kate Plays Christine (2016) Doc - An actress prepares herself for the role of Christine, a woman who shot herself on live tv
Kekszakallu (2016) LatAm - Rich kids try to understand how an economic crisis will affect them
Rush Hour (2018) Doc - Istanbul, LA & Mexico City. How commuting has affected how we live our lives everywhere in the world
Santa & Andres (2016) LatAm - A fervent communist woman is forced to watch over the town's writer because of an international convention. They discover each other.
Tempestad (2016) Doc - How has the crime epidemic affected women in Mexico, through two different stories

beavis

Post by beavis » June 16th, 2019, 6:18 am

Thanks for ignoring my posts and messing up the spreadsheet with double entries...

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 16th, 2019, 2:23 pm

lol, it's an easy fix, and to be fair I also completely forgot there was a second set of alphabetically listed titles under the first list - what's the point of separating them? I'd prefer to have just one fully alphabetized list if that's alright with everyone (I can do it myself, just waiting to hear if there's any particular reason I didn't realize that we have 2 lists).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 16th, 2019, 5:16 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 2:23 pm
lol, it's an easy fix, and to be fair I also completely forgot there was a second set of alphabetically listed titles under the first list - what's the point of separating them? I'd prefer to have just one fully alphabetized list if that's alright with everyone (I can do it myself, just waiting to hear if there's any particular reason I didn't realize that we have 2 lists).
The part underneath was leftover films from last year that haven't been nominated yet for this year. I was actually going to propose that we remove them at the end of the month if no one wanted to renominate them... some of them don't even have any scores. There are few I'm going to make an effort to see, but most of them seem to not be piquing the interest of any of us programmers.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 16th, 2019, 5:31 pm

beavis wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 6:18 am
Thanks for ignoring my posts and messing up the spreadsheet with double entries...
I'm sorry it wasn't my intention. I saw something about upper half and lower half but had no idead what you guys were talking about. After I added the films I said. I noticed that the list went further down, so instead of messing with that part, I only filled in the scores I had for those movies.

I'm sorry

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » June 16th, 2019, 6:18 pm

@Fergenaprido - ah, got it. There's a few in there I definitely plan to see though, mainly The Ornithologist, Things to Come, and Don't Call Me Son (maybe Tom of Finland). So beavis you probably want to put your new entries in the first list. For future reference you can just hold the mouse pointer in between the two rows you want to add them, right click, and select, "Insert New Row." I don't think that should mess with any of the formulas, right FP?

beavis

Post by beavis » June 16th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I wanted to leave it up to your discretion as our leader to decide which of the surplus titles and the five titles I suggested as additions are usefull to fill out some possible gaps in the lists we had so far. It is already fairly long and you didn't want an overload of titles like last time...

I have done my part watching movies, nobody has asked me to make any of my selections available, only two have watched one… so, I'm getting back to other interests for now and hope everything will work out ;)

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 16th, 2019, 7:19 pm

I just saw The Wolf House (2018) and it is soooo weird and amazing. I gave it a 3.

If anyone is interested in some background on the film and how it was made Zuma on ICM posted this article:
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-fil ... 65108.html

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 16th, 2019, 7:25 pm

@Beavis I saw Foxtrot and liked it and now saw La casa lobo and loved it. You saw Another Day of Life and liked it and so did I (I don't know if it's available online though).

Ruben Brandt & El Angel are very high on my to watch list. They both have recommendations from people whose tastes are somewhat like mines.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » June 16th, 2019, 7:29 pm

As for programming, I think we should do more than just watch and rate movies. Last time we went just by which films had enough support, but I think sometimes we feel stronger for some films than others. This year the system was improved a bit with giving a number to the level of support we have for each, but maybe we can do more.

I think it would be a good idea when the time comes to make up the chosen films to voice how we feel about the selection. Or if we're very much for or against certain film.

Also, another possibility that would be interesting is that since there aren't that many programmers this year, maybe each programmer gets to choose a film that didn't get enough watches and have that movie automatically included (with limits for availability of the film)

beavis

Post by beavis » June 16th, 2019, 7:44 pm

more discussion would be nice, but it also depends on supporting each others selections
I come across a bit grumpy today already, so I don't want to complain too much
I try to be very supportive of the other choices, even if I rate the movie only a 7 or 7,5, because I am not generally a grumpy guy

last year it turned out we only did the watching, and others did the actual programming. If it were up to me/us, I would highlight some trends when selecting movies for a programme. Like the many strong Chinese language movies this year, or like I said before a double bill of La Casa Lobo with Rey, and so on. With what we have now, it should not be that hard to make a strong and inviting selection. Certainly if we also want to make it a bit leaner.
So for now I think we do need a bit more watching and then, when all have made their suggestions, to have some clear and timely discission making ;)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 17th, 2019, 4:44 am

Massive reply post. Sorry!

Also, starting next Monday I'm going to be out for 10 weeks (4 weeks for work in Croatia in one place, and then 6 weeks of travelling in Europe and visiting home in Canada). My movie watching will decrease drastically again like it did last year, and I'll probably be posting much less as well. I'm back in Malaysia September 1st; I know we're trying to see everything by the end of August, but I may need an extra week or two to catch up on some films that come up between now and then.
outdoorcats wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 10:28 pm
A couple more LGBT titles that have my interest (and are readily available for me to watch ;p ) -

Don't Call Me Son
BPM (Beats Per Minute) - You'd think this would have more votes but on IMDb it only has a little over 10,000.
Arianna
I have the first two, so I'll prioritize watching them. BPM might have too many votes to be properly considered, though.
outdoorcats wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 6:18 pm
@Fergenaprido - ah, got it. There's a few in there I definitely plan to see though, mainly The Ornithologist, Things to Come, and Don't Call Me Son (maybe Tom of Finland). So beavis you probably want to put your new entries in the first list. For future reference you can just hold the mouse pointer in between the two rows you want to add them, right click, and select, "Insert New Row." I don't think that should mess with any of the formulas, right FP?
Those three are also on my list of ones to hopefully watch... Tom of Finland looks interesting as well and I think I can scrounge up a copy.
And yes, adding new rows (as long as it's above the last film) won't mess with the formulas. And honestly, even if it does, it's easy to fix the formula again later :)
beavis wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 7:18 pm
I wanted to leave it up to your discretion as our leader to decide which of the surplus titles and the five titles I suggested as additions are usefull to fill out some possible gaps in the lists we had so far. It is already fairly long and you didn't want an overload of titles like last time...

I have done my part watching movies, nobody has asked me to make any of my selections available, only two have watched one… so, I'm getting back to other interests for now and hope everything will work out ;)
I think if you like something well enough, you should add it to the main list. It is long yes, but it's still much shorter than last year, and I think we're doing a better job at being focused. Still, there are a few categories that need filling out, and I don't think everything should be on odc's shoulders at this stage.

As for your films, I already have them from you so I don't need to ask for them :) I'm still committed to watching them (I actually keep intending to, but them switch to something else at the last moment because I'm not in the mood for 3/4 or Somniloquies right then). Please don't think your opinions are being overlooked. :hug:
sacmersault wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 7:25 pm
@Beavis I saw Foxtrot and liked it and now saw La casa lobo and loved it. You saw Another Day of Life and liked it and so did I (I don't know if it's available online though).

Ruben Brandt & El Angel are very high on my to watch list. They both have recommendations from people whose tastes are somewhat like mines.
El casa lobo was on Mubi last year, and I skipped it after watching the trailer. As much as y'all are loving it, it looks like a slog to me and I'll probably just bring down the average if I ever make it through the end. So I'll pass on that one.
El Ángel just came available to me, so I might sit down and watch that one, but there are other Queer and Latin films that I'd rather see at the moment.
beavis wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 7:44 pm
more discussion would be nice, but it also depends on supporting each others selections

last year it turned out we only did the watching, and others did the actual programming. If it were up to me/us, I would highlight some trends when selecting movies for a programme.
Agreed with both you and sacm. I think right now we can focus on watching more films, and then come late August/early September we can start having more indepth discussions about the programming itself.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 17th, 2019, 9:39 am

English Title - Year - votes - Sprt - SupRatio - QUAL - Categories

Ash Is Purest White - 2018 - 1864 - 5 - 1,00 - 15 - AsAfr
Long Day's Journey Into Night - 2018 - 1446 - 4 - 1,00 - 11 - Art/AsAfr
Columbus - 2017 - 9883 - 4 - 1,00 - 10 - Indie
Shirkers - 2018 - 2501 - 4 - 1,00 - 10 - AsAfr/Doc
Angels Wear White - 2017 - 1362 - 4 - 1,00 - 9 - AsAfr
Diamantino - 2018 - 641 - 4 - 1,00 - 9 - Art/Euro/LGBT
Custody - 2017 - 5328 - 3 - 1,00 - 9 - Euro
The Rider - 2017 - 8618 - 3 - 1,00 - 8 - Indie
Winter Brothers - 2017 - 891 - 3 - 0,75 - 8 - Art/Euro
An Elephant Sitting Still - 2018 - 1275 - 3 - 1,00 - 7 - AsAfr
Foxtrot - 2017 - 4552 - 3 - 1,00 - 7 - AsAfr
Jeune femme - 2017 - 1737 - 3 - 1,00 - 7 - Euro
LA 92 - 2017 - 2287 - 3 - 1,00 - 7 - Doc
Madeline's Madeline - 2018 - 2355 - 3 - 1,00 - 7 - Art/Indie
Support the Girls - 2018 - 3838 - 3 - 1,00 - 7 - Indie
Thunder Road - 2018 - 7419 - 3 - 1,00 - 7 - Indie
The Innocents - 2016 - 7883 - 4 - 1,00 - 6 - Euro
Rafiki - 2018 - 614 - 3 - 1,00 - 6 - AsAfr/LGBT
Harmonium - 2016 - 1556 - 3 - 1,00 - 5 - AsAfr
Shadow World - 2016 - 551 - 3 - 1,00 - 5 - Doc

At the moment we have exactly 20 titles that qualify with having at least three supporting votes from us and <10000 votes on imdb
Of these only Winter Brothers has one negative vote and thus a support ratio <1
Sorted from most support to least support

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » July 4th, 2019, 6:05 pm

OK, done! (though I'll continue to watch some more titles as necessary)
Fergenaprido:

1. Apprentice - 2 (recommended)
2. Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo - 0 (not recommended)
3. El Amparo - 2 (recommended)

beavis:

1. 3/4 - 3 (strongly recommended)
2. The Last Family - 1 (mildly recommended)
3. Rey - 3 (strongly recommended)

Ivan0716:

1. Bad Genius - 1 (mildly recommended)
2. Sunday's Illness - 2 (recommended)
3. Quién te cantará - 3 (strongly recommended)

sacmersault:

1. Ex Libris: The New York Public Library - 3 (strongly recommended)
2. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail - 3 (strongly recommended)
3. Southwest of Salem: The Story of the San Antonio Four - 2 (recommended)

flaiky:

1. Winter Brothers - 3 (strongly recommended)
2. Gemini - 2 (recommended)
3. The King - 3 (strongly recommended)
I was in such a hurry to blitz through these titles before a new semester starts and I start work again in August that I didn't really have time to write about them, but happy to discuss any of them if someone wants.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » July 4th, 2019, 7:01 pm

So let's update our standings. We haven't agreed upon what actual cutoff we're using for our score, but for now I'll list the films that have a QUALIFY score of at least 5 and an average rating of 2 or more. That gives us 47 films. (maybe 45 if we decide Long Day's Journey Into Night and Of Body and Soul are too popular already on the iCM forum to need to be "discovered"). I'll arrange them here by section; of course many of them qualify for multiple sections so I just tried to spread them out evenly.

English-Language Independents

Columbus
Lean on Pete
Madeline's Madeline
Ray & Liz
Support the Girls
The Rider
Thunder Road

International (to be split into 3 or 4 sections)

A Gentle Creature (Krotkaya)
A Woman's Life (Une Vie)
An Elephant Sitting Still (Da xiang xi di er zuo)
Angels Wear White (Jia nian hua)
Apprentice
Ash Is Purest White (Jiang hu er nü)
Custody (Jusqu'à la garde)
Diamantino
El Amparo
Foxtrot
Frantz
Jeune femme (Montparnasse Bienvenue)
Lover for a Day (L'amant d'un jour)
On Body and Soul (Testről és lélekről)
Quién te cantará
Sunday's Illness (La enfermedad del domingo)
The Distinguished Citizen (El ciudadano ilustre)
The Workshop (L'atelier)
In the Fade

Arthouse

3/4
Endless Poetry (Poesía Sin Fin)
Long Day's Journey Into Night (Di qiu zui hou de ye wan)
Rey
The Green Fog
Winter Brothers (Vinterbrødre)

The pure artiness of some of these titles (for instance, Winter Brothers, Endless Poetry, and 3/4) might be up for debate.

LGBT

Heartstone [Hjartasteinn]
It's Only the End of the World (Juste la fin du monde)
Rafiki

Animation

The Wolf House (La Casa Lobo)
Another Day of Life

Documentary

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
Cuba and the Cameraman
Ex Libris: The New York Public Library
I Am Not Your Negro
LA 92
Shirkers
The King

Just Before Dawn

Keep an Eye Out (Au poste!)
One Cut of the Dead (Kamera o tomeru na!)

Some of the titles will move to the Main Slate, which will help shrink some of these oversized sections. I'd love International, for instance, to be 15 max, and I'd be even happier if it were no more than 12 (3 sections of 4 each). Overall it seems like based on past feedback jury members would have an easier time watching all the titles they're supposed to if we keep each sub-section to 3-4 titles. If after the Main Slate is picked some sections still have too many titles then the solution might just be to move the QUALIFY score up by increments just for that section until it only has 3-4 titles.

beavis

Post by beavis » July 4th, 2019, 8:07 pm

good work!

glad you liked my nominations, makes the chance of having both Rey and Wolf House in the selection more realistic. would love it if some discussions would pick up on the Diluvio connection during the fest.

so one 3 vote and a 2 vote is enough to get a movie selected then (if a category hasn't got more supported candidates)? it feels like a thin base, starting of from at least two 3 votes (or at least three votes) would feel more secure to get the best overall selection.

your layout does seem reasonable, having four movies per category and a main slate of twelve is very doable from the looks of it. And indeed that should be less of a hill to climb for people who want to join in, but can't aford a deep dive for an entire week or two. like it a lot.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » July 4th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Yup 5 is low-ish, I only chose it for now because otherwise we'd have some empty categories. Assuming we beef up those categories (LGBT, Animation, JBD) we can definitely up it to 6 though.

beavis

Post by beavis » July 4th, 2019, 8:35 pm

btw I just saw the spreadsheet is still a bit messy, with double entries like Tehran Taboo, and some aditions to the upper part lacking context information
the file takes ages to load on my computer, probably my browser, and editting is also really slow, so I don't dare to clean it up myself. But if someone has the time and a good connection, maybe he/she can do an overhaul and make it one list with a little bit of clean-up here and there

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 5th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Thanks for the summary odc. I'll see what I can get to over the next two months to beef up some of the smaller categories.

I'll take a look at the spreadsheet and clean it up beavis. Haven't looked at it in a month or so.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 5th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Okay, I removed any duplicates I found and fixed some errors with the formulas.

Also, sacmersault, I found 2 titles called "The Tower" from 2018. I'm thinking it's this one https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5847768/ ? (or is it this one https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7742276/ ?) (and just to be clear, you don't mean this one from 2016 right https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5116410/ ?)

beavis, you added these 5 films to the top of the extras list. Did you mean to include them in the main list for consideration?
El Ángel
Another Day of Life
In Fabric
Realive
Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang

beavis

Post by beavis » July 5th, 2019, 1:26 pm

I thought they would be good suggestions for the sections that are still lacking a bit in candidates, and Outdoorcats said in post #97 of this thread that he didn't mind them being in the main list... so I guess they can be included. In Fabric and Another Day of Life are still a bit new... but they are véry good… :)

flaiky

Post by flaiky » July 5th, 2019, 5:21 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 6:05 pm
flaiky:

1. Winter Brothers - 3 (strongly recommended)
2. Gemini - 2 (recommended)
3. The King - 3 (strongly recommended)
Oh cool, I'm really glad you watched and enjoyed these. :cheers:

I've been shit, sorry, since I last commented I've watched Shirkers (which was great), and also added the fantastic Skate Kitchen, but otherwise haven't been watching many films in general...I've slowly been making my way through Deadwood instead. Anyway, I will use this activity as a motivator and try and get more stuff seen. There is loads that I'm interested in, I selected several titles from each of you, so yeah. It's great that we already have a really juicy list forming.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » July 6th, 2019, 6:22 pm

No worries. I left some comments on those titles on the last monthly thread since I watched them all in June.

Anyone want to do a SWAP of Knife + Heart (currently on Mubi + Amazon Prime)? Could go in either JBD or LGBT.

beavis

Post by beavis » July 6th, 2019, 6:35 pm

That is a fun movie. Not as good as the directors previous one, but i liked it.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » July 7th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 1:16 pm
Okay, I removed any duplicates I found and fixed some errors with the formulas.

Also, sacmersault, I found 2 titles called "The Tower" from 2018. I'm thinking it's this one https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5847768/ ? (or is it this one https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7742276/ ?) (and just to be clear, you don't mean this one from 2016 right https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5116410/ ?)

beavis, you added these 5 films to the top of the extras list. Did you mean to include them in the main list for consideration?
El Ángel
Another Day of Life
In Fabric
Realive
Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang
Yep. It's the first one

beavis

Post by beavis » July 8th, 2019, 12:33 pm

the competition programme of World Cinema Amsterdam has been announced (a few days ago already it seems, but I saw it just now)

1. Jayro Bustamante - TEMBLORES (Guatemala, 2019, 107’)
2. Blitz Bazawule - THE BURIAL OF KOJO (Ghana, 2018, 80’)
3. Lila Avilés - LA CAMARISTA (Mexico, 2018, 102’)
4. Sofía Quirós Ubeda - CENIZA NEGRA (Costa Rica, 2019, 82’)
5. Gabriel Mascaro - DIVINO AMOR (Brazilië, 2019, 100’)
6. Yusuf Radjamuda - MOUNTAIN SONG (Indonesië, 2019, 76’)
7. Wang Quan’an - ÖNDÖG (Mongolië, 2019, 100’)
8. Çağla Zencirci & Guillaume Giovanetti - SIBEL (Turkije, 2018, 95’)
9. Zoya Akhtar - GULLY BOY (India, 2019, 148’)

options maybe for our next years festival

I've been looking forward to Divino Amor since I saw it popping up in the Berlin selection
Sibel played at Locarno, which always immediately gets my interest
Haven't seen any Mongolian movie yet, so öndög is also high on my list from this selection

It's the 10th edition of the festival so I hope there will be a few retrospective surprises, also looking forward to the Cuban sidebar they always have. And main focus for this year will be Indonesia. Hopefully that will give us another discovery like the recent "The Seen and Unseen"!

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » July 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm

beavis wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 12:33 pm
the competition programme of World Cinema Amsterdam has been announced (a few days ago already it seems, but I saw it just now)

1. Jayro Bustamante - TEMBLORES (Guatemala, 2019, 107’)
2. Blitz Bazawule - THE BURIAL OF KOJO (Ghana, 2018, 80’)
3. Lila Avilés - LA CAMARISTA (Mexico, 2018, 102’)
4. Sofía Quirós Ubeda - CENIZA NEGRA (Costa Rica, 2019, 82’)
5. Gabriel Mascaro - DIVINO AMOR (Brazilië, 2019, 100’)
6. Yusuf Radjamuda - MOUNTAIN SONG (Indonesië, 2019, 76’)
7. Wang Quan’an - ÖNDÖG (Mongolië, 2019, 100’)
8. Çağla Zencirci & Guillaume Giovanetti - SIBEL (Turkije, 2018, 95’)
9. Zoya Akhtar - GULLY BOY (India, 2019, 148’)

options maybe for our next years festival

I've been looking forward to Divino Amor since I saw it popping up in the Berlin selection
Sibel played at Locarno, which always immediately gets my interest
Haven't seen any Mongolian movie yet, so öndög is also high on my list from this selection

It's the 10th edition of the festival so I hope there will be a few retrospective surprises, also looking forward to the Cuban sidebar they always have. And main focus for this year will be Indonesia. Hopefully that will give us another discovery like the recent "The Seen and Unseen"!
Temblores & La Camarist are very high on my list but when Temblores was in the film festival here I couldn't get tickets and La Camarista I wasn't able to go.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » July 8th, 2019, 7:32 pm

I see two directors I recognize from past FF entries there: Bustamente (Ixcanul Volcano) and Gabriel Mascaro (Neon Bull). Nice representation of smaller countries in that selection.

beavis

Post by beavis » July 8th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Yes, pure on name base, temblores seems also like a must see
I think i'll try to see them all anyway. The festival is during my vacation and the 'Cineville' moviepass is valid for the festival, so the only thing that would be stopping me is the actual programming... :)