Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

sacmersault

Re: iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

Post by sacmersault » March 7th, 2019, 2:12 am

outdoorcats wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 9:36 pm
@sacmersault - Awesome, great to have you on board! One film I noticed on your list, After the Storm, we already had in the festival two years ago. I am very familiar with the story behind "Southwest of Salem" so I'm super-interested to learn more about it through the doc. Very interested in The Rider, Ex Libris, and Spoor as well.
Sorry about After the Storm. I only checked last year's films.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I've added everything to the same document as last year.

I'm in the process of updating the links and ratings from imdb, and adding the original language titles and years to help us not get confused if there are identically-titled films nominated (such as last year).

I also copied over all of the unused films from last year's long list, after removing the 2015 films, shorts, and anything that's amassed a larger number of votes since then. If you want to re-nominate one of those films, just drag that row above the empty row above the cell "Total Films Voted For" (currently row 78). I've cleared any scores that were there since we're using a new rubric this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =680968798

Thanks again for laying the groundwork, Ivan.

Also, to prevent us from renominating films from previous editions, here are the icm lists of the first two festivals that were hosted on the forum (I don't know where the list for the 2016 or earlier editions are). Maybe we should add them to the OP, cats?

2017: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icmff/mightysparks/
2018: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icmff2/flaiky/

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » March 9th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Awesome Fergenaprido! And yup I went ahead and edited those into the OP.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Won't subscribe as a programmer this year, since evidentially my interest in doing that job already was pretty low last year, but for what it's worth, from what has been mentioned so far I definitely also champion:
Somniloquies, Long Day's Journey Into Night, Glory/Slava, Jeune femme AKA Montparnasse Bienvenue, Close Knit
('It's Only the End of the World' and 'The House That Jack Built' I think are dope too, but I reckon they don't need the promo within the context of this festival.)

I'd still be up for the short films programming again if that's OK, and if I get this OK by the officials I'm sure that with his love for me I'll manage to drag Carmel into it again as well despite his waning interest in audio-visual content that doesn't have social media outlets as its source, and the sooner you send us your reccs ANYONE (categories are narrative, avant-garde & music videos) the better.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » March 9th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Nice, should I fill out the categories for the films I nominated?

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 23rd, 2019, 6:06 pm

Adding my nominees to the mix.

Renominating:
A Kid (Le fils de Jean) (2016 FRA) - French man travels to Quebec in search of his father.
Absurd Accident (2016 CHN) - Rural black comedy.
Apprentice (2016 SNG) - A young guard decides to become the apprentice to a prison hangman, but may have an ulterior motive.
Back to Burgundy (Ce qui nous lie) (2017 FRA) - Three siblings inherit their father's vineyards after his passing.
Ceasefire (Cessez-le-feu) (2016 FRA) - A man, his brother, and his friend deal with adjusting to civilian life after WWI in three very different ways.
Hotel Salvation (Mukti Bhawan) (2016 IND) - An old man decides it's time to die, and checks into the eponymous Hotel with his son in order to do so.

Introducing:
Ash Is the Purest White (Jiang hu er nv) (2018 CHN) - A woman deals with a changing society and wavering loyalties from her lover and fellow gangmembers.
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun? (2017 USA) - A white man searches for the truth about his grandfather who may have killed a black man in the Deep South and gotten away with it.
El Amparo (2016 VEN/COL) - Two men return to their village after surviving a massacre, but are immediately arrested and accused of being guerillas.
Newton (2017 IND) - Civil servant travels to a small village as a polling officer, and is zealously dedicated to ensuring everyone is able to vote.
Shuttle Life (Fen bei ren sheng) (2017 MLY) - A young man seeks purpose and revenge after his sister is killed in a traffic accident.
The Centre of My World (Die Mitt der Welt) (2016 GER) - Teen boy deals with an attraction to the new boy in town and the strained relationship between his mother and twin sister.
The Distinguished Citizen (El ciudadano ilustre) (2016 ARG) - An illustrious author returns to his hometown for a celebration in his honour, but the folks he skewed in his novels are less than welcoming.
Tomcat (Kater) (2016 AUT) - A gay couple deal with the aftermath of one of them doing something unspeakable to their cat.
Summer Children (Sumarbörn) (2017 ICE) - Two children are sent to a boarding home in northern Iceland for the summer after their mother can no longer take care of them.
Zud (2016 POL/GER/MNG) - A young boy must win a competition in order to support his family in rural Mongolia.

For the other nominees, I've marked in fuchsia which ones I'd like to watch. Columbus and The Rider I already have on hand, so I'll start with those two.

beavis

Post by beavis » March 25th, 2019, 9:31 am

Ash is the Purest White is hitting my theatres from the 27nd
and I have seen Newton, will look into the other nominations of Fergenaprido to see what is available and interesting to me to seek out

the Imagine festival is coming up, I made reservations for:

11/4 In Fabric
12/4 Aniara
13/4 Luz
13/4 Mirai
13/4 Nekotronic
13/4 Monos
14/4 One Cut of the Dead
14/4 Perfect Skin
14/4 Ruben Brandt, Collector
16/4 Wilkolak
18/4 Abrakadabra
19/4 O Beautiful Night
19/4 Along with the Gods: the Last 49 Days

Also coming up is La Casa Lobo on 22/4
Other than that I have been, and still am, busy with the Doubling nominations and other stuff on my watchlists

this is what I saw at CinemAsia btw

Xing Fu Cheng Shi (2018) 7.5
Bao Xue Jiang Zhi (2017) 7.5
Baat go leuiyan, yat toi hei (2018) 7.5
Wushu Orphan (2018) 7.0
Fish Bones (2018) 7.5

No masterpieces, although it was cool to finaly see something from Stanley Kwan again
Fish Bones could be a good nomination for the LGBTQ section, it was very close to an 8 for me and the best movie of this selection, with Cities of Last Things a close second.
Last edited by beavis on March 25th, 2019, 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 25th, 2019, 9:42 am

Just found out over the weekend which films will be playing at the annual Le French Festival here in KL. Always great selections (three of my nominations are what I saw last year, and Les Cowboys from last year's ICMFF I saw the year before). Both Custody and Bloody Milk are screening, so I'll prioritize getting tickets to those, but there are a couple of others I'm interested in, so I might nominate a few more (though we always seem to have a lot of French films for this). They also show films from not just the last year, but the last few years, so it lines up almost perfectly with the ICMFF :)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 7th, 2019, 2:18 pm

I was going to wait until the end of the French film festival later this month, but I've just come back from seeing Custody in theatres and it 100% gets my full support. Absolutely phenomenal.

I also saw Columbus few weeks ago. Aside from me initially mistaking it for the similarly-named-after-smalltown-America Akron, it was rather good. Also gets some support from me.

Other noms that I intend to watch soon:
Bloody Milk
The Rider
Godless

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » April 10th, 2019, 9:35 am

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts popped up on Prime today(in some regions at least).

flaiky

Post by flaiky » April 18th, 2019, 4:43 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 9:34 pm
flaiky wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:14 am
Just FYI: I am interested again, but I'm on another long trip and wouldn't be able to do much until mid-April ish. Probably best that I don't commit until I'm back, so maybe I could just see how you're doing around then?
Sure, and hopefully you have an awesome trip!
Awesome trip ended a week ago, and I just thought about this. I'm up for programming again, but I totally understand if there are fears of spoiling the broth.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

beavis

Post by beavis » April 18th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Cool to have you onboard again, i'd say

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 19th, 2019, 9:01 am

beavis wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Cool to have you onboard again, i'd say
+1

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » April 19th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Welcome back flaiky.

How many programmers did you guys have in the previous years? I was kinda expecting more people to sign up.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 19th, 2019, 2:33 pm

+2 (or 3). I'm the one worried about spoiling the broth because I can't seem to find time to watch anything.

@Ivan, we started with 4-5 IIRC, last year was our biggest number but remember a lot of them didn't really participate.

beavis

Post by beavis » April 23rd, 2019, 6:43 am

I've updated the spreadsheat with my recent watches:

One Cut of the Dead (Ivan0716) - 8 (the genius bit is in the second half, but it is fun all the way through!)
La Casa Lobo (mjf314 , wasabi) - 8,5 (stunning nightmarish animation, from the Diluvio studio of Niles Attalah, that also brought you the mindblowing Rey. http://diluvio.cl/ )
LA 92 (sacmersault) - 7 (not a fun watch, I had seen most of this news at the time it was happening, but I guess it is a well made montage)
Ash Is the Purest White (Fergenaprido) - 7,5 (sort of a "greatest hits" of Jia Zhangke, but not his greatest work)

this was my score-list of the Imagine festival:

1 - Ruben Brandt, a Gyűjtő (2018) Ruben Brandt, Collector - 8,5
2 - In Fabric (2018) - 8,5
3 - Kamera o tomeru na! (2017) One Cut of the Dead - 8
4 - O Beautiful Night (2019) - 8
5 - Monos (2019) - 8
6 - Luz (2018) - 7,5
7 - Abrakadabra (2018) - 7,5
8 - Perfect Skin (2018) - 7
9 - Mirai no Mirai (2018) - 7
10 - Aniara (2018) - 7
11 - Wilkolak (2018) Werewolf - 5,5
12 - Nekrotronic (2018) - 5,5
13 - Singwa hamkke: Ingwa yeon (2018) Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days - 4

my numbers 1-4 would be big reccomendations. Ruben Brandt really suprised me with strong surrealistic animation, In Fabric is the best (and most funny) movie Strickland has made to date, One Cut of the Dead a deserving worldwide festival crowdpleasing phenomenon, O Beautiful Night is fresh from this years Berlinale so might not be ready for the ICMFF yet, but very stylish (clearly made by someone coming from animation) night-journey-movie including a character that is Death incarnate, a nerdy guy that needs to get out more and a gothic manic pixie dream babe.

Vox Lux is now playing in theatres here, so I'll catch that soon. I'm also getting a bluray of Mary and the Witches Flower and already got the recent dvd release of Galveston, have Shirkers, Quen te Cantara and Sunday's Illness still lined up on Netflix. Rafiki and An Elephant Sitting Still I'm expecting in cinema's more towards June. Have also found Angels wear White. And looking forward to titles Flaiky will nominate.
But the rest of April also will be watching things for the Doubling challenge… so next update will be somewhere in May!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 23rd, 2019, 10:32 am

beavis wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 6:43 am
Ash Is the Purest White (Fergenaprido) - 7,5 (sort of a "greatest hits" of Jia Zhangke, but not his greatest work)
Slight off topic here, sorry.

I saw this on a plane coming back to Malaysia in Jan; didn't really realize it was a Jia film until after when I checked it (though I must have know because they usually include the director's name somewhere). From the conversations here, Jia has seemed like a more arthouse director, so I've not really bothered to seek any of his films out as I don't tend to enjoy them. Ash Is Purest White is my first Jia film, but based on your review it seems like it's his most "accessible"? If I were to attempt to see one or two of his other films, which are the ones you would recommend?

beavis

Post by beavis » April 23rd, 2019, 10:44 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:32 am
beavis wrote:

I saw this on a plane coming back to Malaysia in Jan; didn't really realize it was a Jia film until after when I checked it (though I must have know because they usually include the director's name somewhere). From the conversations here, Jia has seemed like a more arthouse director, so I've not really bothered to seek any of his films out as I don't tend to enjoy them. Ash Is Purest White is my first Jia film, but based on your review it seems like it's his most "accessible"? If I were to attempt to see one or two of his other films, which are the ones you would recommend?
Still Life (Sanxia Haoren, 2006) is the obvious one to reccomend here. It is one of his best films but also gets referenced in Ash is the Purest White a lot (his wife as the main protagonist, the location of the massive dam, the mentioning of aliens...). The changing landscape of China (in all senses, but mostly culturally) is a red thread to all his work, Still Life is the most literal and most poetic expression of that theme.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 23rd, 2019, 4:00 pm

beavis wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:44 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:32 am
beavis wrote:

Still Life (Sanxia Haoren, 2006) is the obvious one to reccomend here. It is one of his best films but also gets referenced in Ash is the Purest White a lot (his wife as the main protagonist, the location of the massive dam, the mentioning of aliens...). The changing landscape of China (in all senses, but mostly culturally) is a red thread to all his work, Still Life is the most literal and most poetic expression of that theme.
Cool, thanks. Will have to check it out this year then. :thumbsup:

flaiky

Post by flaiky » April 23rd, 2019, 10:10 pm

Thanks guys, though you may regret it when you see my huge list. :lol: I just read through your recommendations and you had tons of interesting stuff already. We got ourselves a thick tasty broth.

My nominees - about half are dragged up from last year's leftovers, about half are new. Lots of documentaries (sorry Beavis). Loosely ordered by my enthusiasm:

Lean on Pete (Andrew Haigh, UK/US)
"Charley, a teen living with his single father, finds work caring for an aging racehorse named Lean on Pete. When he learns Pete is bound for slaughter, the two embark on an odyssey across the new American frontier in search of a place to call home."
Superbly realised character drama that made me ugly cry.

Last Men in Aleppo (Feras Fayyad, Syria, doc)
"Khaled, Mahmoud, and Subhi volunteer with the White Helmets trying to save lives of hundreds of victims in the besieged city of Aleppo during the Syrian Civil War." On the ground reporting: raw, urgent, shocking, devastating.

A Woman's Life (Stephane Brize, France)
"A fragmented account of the life of Jeanne as she ... gradually experiences the harsh realities of a woman's life in the 19th-century." Beautifully filmed and performed drama.

Mademoiselle Paradis (Barbara Albert, Austria)
"A blind pianist living in 18th-century Vienna forms an extraordinary relationship with the physician who is trying to restore her sight." The period evocation or lead performance could hardly be better. Interesting psychological study.

Ray & Liz (Richard Billingham, UK)
"Acclaimed artist Richard Billingham returns to the subject of the striking photographs that he captured of his family during Thatcher era Britain in this drama recounting his childhood in a Birmingham council flat." Raw and poetic in equal measure. Reminded me a bit of Lynne Ramsay's films, but Billingham definitely has his own vision.

Namdev Bhau in Search of Silence (Dar Gai, India)
"In this endearing black comedy, a 65-year-old who can’t take noisy Mumbai anymore sets off on a thwarted quest for Himilayan silence." Incredibly charming, with gorgeous wide-screen shots of the Himalayas.

Have You Seen My Movie? (Paul Anton Smith, UK)
"A massive montage of movie characters going to the movies. Clips from 100+ films are cut together to create a new cinema-going experience. Romance, musical, action, horror, noir, comedy - and countless characters watch in the dark with you."
Some of the cleverest editing I've ever seen, and a total joy for cinephiles.

The King (Andrew Jarecki, US, doc)
"Forty years after the death of Elvis Presley, a musical road trip across America in his 1963 Rolls Royce explores how a country boy lost his authenticity and became a king while his country lost her democracy and became an empire."
Energetic study of American culture and society, somewhat Michael Moore-esque.

Cuba and the Cameraman (Jon Alpert, US, doc)
"Life in Cuba for three struggling families over the course of 45 years, from the cautious optimism of the early 1970s to the harrowing 1990s after the fall of the Soviet Union and the 2016 death of Fidel Castro." Fascinating on a political and social level, deeply moving on a human level.

Gemini (Aaron Katz, US)
"A heinous crime tests the complex relationship between a tenacious personal assistant and her Hollywood starlet boss. As the assistant unravels the mystery, she must confront her own understanding of friendship, truth and celebrity." A noir pastiche that's huge on style and atmosphere. Shades of Nicolas Winding Refn.

An Impossible Love (Catherine Corsini, France)
"Spans the period from 1958 to the present day and tells the story of an unconditional love between a mother and her daughter which is endangered by an unsteady and manipulative father." Great characters and performances.

Starless Dreams (Mehrdad Oskouei, Iran)
"Teenage girls consigned to an Iranian 'Correctional and Rehabilitation Centre' discuss their troubled lives and reveal what brought them there." Full of heartbreaking stories, pretty unforgettable.

Kingdom of Us (Lucy Cohen, UK, doc)
"A father's suicide sends a family of eight on a journey through childhood memories and treacherous emotional waters in this poignant documentary." Incredibly intimate and moving.

Weiner (Josh Kriegman + Elyse Steinberg, US, doc)
"An examination of disgraced New York Congressman Anthony Weiner's mayoral campaign and today's political landscape." Really entertaining.

The Green Fog (Guy Maddin, US/Canada)
"The interpretation of the Alfred Hitchcock classic Vertigo, pieced together using footage from old films and television shows shot in and around the San Francisco area." And somehow it still feels perfectly like a Maddin film, how does he do it? Great fun.

Thunder Road (Jim Cummins, US)
"A police officer faces a personal meltdown following a divorce and the death of his mother." Sardonic dramedy with a fantastic lead character.

I Do Not Care if We Go Down in History as Barbarians (Radu Jude, Romania)
"These words, spoken in the Council of Ministers of the summer of 1941, started the ethnic cleansing on the Eastern Front. The film attempts to comment on this statement." A probing lesson on Romania's complicity in the Holocaust, with absolutely no concern for traditional methods of "entertainment" - this is dense and challenging cinema. Arty hard, for sure.

Bisbee '17 (Robert Greene, US, doc)
"An old mining town on the Arizona-Mexico border finally reckons with its darkest day: the deportation of 1200 immigrant miners exactly 100 years ago. Locals collaborate to stage recreations of their controversial past." Meta, creative, and provocative.

Wallay (Berni Goldblat, France...but could definitely count for our Africa slate)
"A 13-year-old boy is sent from his home in France to live with external family in rural Burkina Faso." Charming slice-of-life. A good option for people who (as I said on ICM) appreciate films as an opportunity to enter a completely different corner of the world

Winter Brothers (Hlynur Palmason, Denmark/Iceland)
"A brother odyssey set in a worker environment during a cold winter. We follow two brothers, their routines, habits, rituals and a violent feud that erupts between them and another family" ...except it's far more expressionistic and experimental than that implies, and all in gorgeously gritty 16mm.

Bobby Sands: 66 Days (Brendan Byrne, Ireland, doc)
"In the spring of 1981 Irish Republican Bobby Sands' 66-day hunger strike brought the attention of the world to his cause." Well crafted, and more broadly about the Troubles than it sounds.

The Innocents (Anne Fontaine, France/Poland)
"Poland, 1945. Mathilde, a young French Red Cross doctor, is on a mission to help the war survivors. When a nun seeks for her help, she is brought to a convent where several pregnant sisters are hiding, unable to reconcile their faith with their pregnancy. Mathilde becomes their only hope." Compelling plot and characters.

Sweet Country (Warwick Thornton, Australia)
"Australian western set on the Northern Territory frontier in the 1920s, where justice itself is put on trial when an aged Aboriginal farmhand shoots a white man in self-defense and goes on the run as a posse gathers to hunt him down." Fairly gripping and with nice outback photography.

The Other Side of Hope (Aki Kaurismaki, Finland)
"A restaurateur befriends a Syrian refugee who has recently arrived in Finland."
Aki's trademark dry humour and beautiful photography, along with some social commentary.

(There were quite a few films in the second section with a 3 rating, so I took the liberty of dragging them up, too, as clearly they have strong support from at least one programmer)

I added votes for any of the new noms that I've seen (I like the new rating system btw), including big support for Ash is Purest White and The Rider. There are two that I want to query: I Am Not Your Negro, which is fantastic but I didn't consider nominating it before because I feel like it had a pretty big push around the time it was Oscar nominated ..? and Long Day's Journey Into Night, which doesn't have many IMDB ratings but made the top 10 of our 2018 poll, so clearly has a lot of forum love already. We can go over all this nearer the final stages, but I'm putting the thought out there for now.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 23rd, 2019, 10:50 pm

Hey flaiky. I've seen one on your list, Sweet Country, which I can give a modest recommendation to. I definitely liked the second half much more than the first half which was a bit all over the place IMO.

beavis

Post by beavis » April 24th, 2019, 6:40 am

flaiky wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:10 pm

seen it, nice cinematography, lovers of americana music should check it out, not a massive favorite for me, but I'll support it
flaiky wrote:

very well made impressive movie, strong support
flaiky wrote:
Mademoiselle Paradis (Barbara Albert, Austria)

sounds intriguing
flaiky wrote:

another impressive nomination, strong support
flaiky wrote:
Weiner [/b] (Josh Kriegman + Elyse Steinberg, US, doc)

two documentaries I might be interested in ;) already have them on dvd too
flaiky wrote:

made for cinephiles and film-quizzers, I liked it but it didn't make any lasting impression
flaiky wrote:

this should still play in theatres overhere… it got kinda lost in the shuffle of festivals and bigger releases, hope to still catch it
flaiky wrote:
Wallay (Berni Goldblat, France...but could definitely count for our Africa slate)

missed this at last years world cinema festival, still interested, i'll see if i can find this one
flaiky wrote:

This was such a huge movie for me last year, I thought we had already included it in the festival ;) strong support
flaiky wrote:

Had the dvd for ages and still looking forward to it very much, so it shoots up on my watchlist now
flaiky wrote:

a strong one from Kaurismaki, another one you'll have my support for

flaiky wrote:
(There were quite a few films in the second section with a 3 rating, so I took the liberty of dragging them up, too, as clearly they have strong support from at least one programmer)

a lot of those votes might have been from me, I didn't want to overwhelm the ballot and keep it limited to my selected top-20... but I am also glad Rey and Winter Brothers are now again in the spotlight! :) If we put Casa Lobo in Animation, we really should put Rey in Arthouse, they are from the same makers and make a cool double bill. Last year we missed such an oppurtunity when Mimosas got selected but not "The Sky Trembles and the Earth Is Afraid and the Two Eyes Are Not Brothers (2015)" which was largely filmed on the set of Mimosas…

Long Day's Journey Into Night has been a huge festival hit, so it is both understandable to leave it off our selections and to have it on there… I don't have a strong opinion either way. But we could lower the bar for the amount of imdb-votes we want to aim below, and try to really stick to that number too...

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » April 24th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Just checking in to let you guys know what I'm planning to watch:
-Shirkers, Lean on Pete and Radiance are on Netflix/Prime so I'll probably get around to those soon.
-Styx is releasing in cinemas this week, but as of now the only screenings available to me are 50 minutes drive away, I doubt I'll end up make the trip but I'm entertaining the idea since it's a film I've been wanting to see anyway.
-Diamantino has a May release date but no schedules available yet, also a film I've been wanting to see even without the nomination.
-I Do Not Care If We Go Down in History as Barbarians has no release info, but I'll jump on it if it becomes available
-Drift I'll be able to catch if I take out a MUBI subscription (which I plan to do around the time they release Eyes Do Not Want to Close at All Times, or, Perhaps One Day Rome Will Allow Herself to Choose in Her Turn (you thought ...Barbarians had a long title? :D ))

Apart from these I think it'll just be whatever "needs" to be seen, or swaps if we're doing those.

beavis

Post by beavis » April 24th, 2019, 1:17 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 4:25 am
This year I'm asking that all programmers commit to watching (3) films from every other programmer's recommended list after you sign up. For one or all of those 3 you could alternatively substitute a previously-agreed upon cross-watch or SWAP with that programmer.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

Got a few more watches in.

Bloody Milk / Petit paysan was pretty solid. Not quite as good as Rams from last year, but enough for me to support it.
Currently watching Drift before it disappears from MUBI; almost didn't watch because I didn't see it on the list. I'm halfway through and I can confidently say thus far that this will NOT get my support... but I'll watch it to the end. I just hope my decision to not watch another DTC film instead doesn't come back and bite me (I really don't want to stay up too late tonight, lol).

Funnily enough, watching this reminds me of the reaction my friend had after we watched Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts in theatres last year. Here's his review from Letterboxd:
SpoilerShow
What follows me the actual transcript of a text I had with a friend after the movie.

Friend: I enjoyed moments of the film. Felt it suffered from pacing issues.

Me: I think one of its strengths is also it's biggest weakness.

Me: Which is the photography.

Me: It looks really pretty. And I think the director was also taken by the beauty.

Friend: Like really really pretty.

Me: She lingers for way too long on the shots.

Me: Like, "yo, check it, isn't this pretty?"

Me: And we're like "yea son, pretty".

Me: And instead of cutting and letting it go, she's like "No, really though, how pretty is that?"

Me: And we're like, "pretty fucking pretty".

Me: And she's like "Damn right. So fucking pretty. Look at it!"

Me: And we're like "Jesus fucking Christ Mouly, next scene!"

Me: And she's like "Fiiiiiiiiiiiine. Cut."

Me: And you'd think, after that, she would learn not to do that again. But no. As soon as the second scene starts, she'll be like -- "yo, check it, isn't this pretty?"

Friend: This is very accurate.
This sums up how I feel about Drift right now. It's pretty, but that's about it.
Extra side note: It's interesting how beavis and I have polar opposite reactions to Marlina and Drift. :D

beavis

Post by beavis » May 2nd, 2019, 5:36 pm

Drift might work better in a theatre setting... and I would not call it pretty. It is very minimal and subtle though, so you have to reach for something beyond story, for the theme's and feelings that are communicated. The way these are communicated in Drift is véry powerfull to me.

Malina on the other hand feels like 'just a story', the constructed fiction takes away from the meaning of the movie instead of adding to it. But I am aware a large part of movie lovers are focussed mainly on story, which is why my taste seems to some to be weird and an outsider attitude... but I can't help how I feel. Movies, the cinematic experience, is an audio-visual experience for me, that is at its best when it hits the feelings directly instead of through story or theatrics. I love all modes of cinema by the way, but my highest marks usually go to something like Drift, or a filmmaker like Grandrieux… (sorry you were bored though… I always hope some people suddenly see what i see with my reccomendations, but they are hard sells…)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 3rd, 2019, 8:46 am

Hey no worries, and no need to apologize. Stuff like Drift helps me to push my boundaries and get out of my comfort zone, even if I don't end up watching it. I don't want to stay in any cinematic bubble :)

Have you seen Silence (2012)? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2275949/ . You might enjoy it and I find it similar to Drift in that not a lot happens, there's not a lot of dialogue, and it's got a lot of landscape cinematography. I saw this in theatres with a few friends. I ended up giving it only a 6 (which is quite low for me, but not a dislike), but my two friends hated it... they were so bored and started playing trivia games on their phones waiting for it to end. I do agree that seeing it in theatres with nowhere to go probably increased my focus/attention, but I'm not sure Drift would have benefitted as much from that. :D

I am one of those folks that can be perfectly content with "just a story" if the story is good enough. :D

beavis

Post by beavis » May 3rd, 2019, 9:15 am

Not seen (that) Silence yet, but I know of it. Seems indeed like something I might like :)

on a sidenote:
I also noticed we are at polar opposites on our appreciation of "Nuestra Señora de Paris" (1982)
Saw this after the DtC-challenge deadline, but wound up to be the only short on the ballot that gets high mark from me!
Amazing sculpting with light, intense soundtrack, I was blown away

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 3rd, 2019, 2:24 pm

Realized I wasn't keeping good track of whose recommendations I was watching, and that we're supposed to watch 3 from each. Oops. tehe

3 and 2 will be :thumbsup: while 1 and 0 will be :down:
Italics will be films I plan to see, but of course that may change if something else comes available or is nominated.

outdoorcats
1. Columbus (2017) :thumbsup:
2. Custody (2018) :thumbsup:
3. Bloody Milk (2017) :thumbsup:

beavis
1. Drift (2017) :down:
2. 3/4 (2017)
3. Somniloquies (2017) or Foxtrot (2017)

Ivan0716
1. Holiday (2018) - only if the copy I have is the Danish one... haven't checked yet
2. Lover for a Day (2017)
3. Bad Genius (2017)

sacmersault
1. The Rider (2017)
2. The Heiresses (2018)
3. Vox Lux (2018) or King Cobra (2016)

flaiky
1. Lean on Pete (2017)
2. Weiner (2016)
3. Wallay (2017)

I may bug some of you for help locating some of these if I cannot acquire by the end of the summer.

P.S. Beavis, you said earlier that you've already seen Newton, but you haven't rated it in the spreadsheet. Curious to see if we're polar opposites again :D :whistling:

- - - - -

Also, I think we should do a better job of mapping out the categories this year, and also making sure that we watch enough potentials leading up to things. I agree that last year we might have overdone it and included too many films in the programming. My opinion this year is that aside from the main slate, Before Dawn, and short programmes, I think 4 films is ideal for each grouping, whichever we come up with. I'm not familiar enough with many of the films, so could everyone chip in and help categorize the current slate of nominated films?

I believe these are the categories we're considering:
  • Animated
    Arthouse (including experimental? or is that separate?)
    Asia & Africa
    Documentary
    Europe
    Horror (Just Before Dawn)
    Independent English-language
    Latin America
    LGBT

beavis

Post by beavis » May 3rd, 2019, 3:07 pm

Good work Ferg!
I liked Newton, not so much that i would reccomend it myself, but i can support that choice with a 1 score

I was about to pop in the Potop blu-ray to have me glued to the couch for this evening, so i will have to come back to your overview and questions later ;)

beavis

Post by beavis » May 3rd, 2019, 3:16 pm

Btw i have already seen a lot of the nominated films and plan to see a whole lot more, but still it might be hard to get three from all programmers done. From the selections of Flaiky and Cats it is easy pickings for me, the others seem to be on a bit of a different wavelength from my usual interests... Which isn't a bad thing in it self, but my must see lists are already kinda long and pressing :)

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » May 3rd, 2019, 4:05 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 2:24 pm
Ivan0716
1. Holiday (2018) - only if the copy I have is the Danish one... haven't checked yet

if it's the Amazon release that runs ~87m, it's the censored version, I'm not sure if anything else has been cut other than the graphic scene.

categories for my nomsShow
Arthouse - honestly, Arthouse is such a blanket term that I could probably list all my films under here except maybe 2 or 3, but for now let's go with:
-Quién te cantará
-Sunday's Illness
-The Wild Boys
-Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts

Asia & Africa
-Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (Indonesia)
-Bad Genius (Thailand)
-One Cut of the Dead (Japan)
-Angels Wear White (China)
-The Wasted Times (China)

Documentary
-Bombshell: A Hedy Lamaar Story

Europe - I think we should only allow 1 film per country this time around, last year it was 3/5 French IIRC?
-Quién te cantará (Spain)
-Holiday (Denmark)
-A Gentle Creature (Russia)
-The Wild Boys (France)
-Lover for a Day (France)
-Glory (Bulgaria)
-Sunday's Illness (Spain)

Horror (Just Before Dawn) - not sure how strict we are with films being horrors but I could make a case for these being "midnight movies":
-Holiday
-The Wild Boys
-One Cut of the Dead

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » May 3rd, 2019, 5:04 pm

It is not a fun watch. I actullay lived in Watts when this happened. It was a nightmare. We didn't go out of the house for a few days. My family and I locked ourselves in the house and no one went to work or school. It was scary seeing the riots on tv and knowing that a lot of the places were really close by and we knew them.

As for the film, it is completely about the editing and constructing a story of found footage.

LA 92 (sacmersault) - 7 (not a fun watch, I had seen most of this news at the time it was happening, but I guess it is a well made montage)

beavis

Post by beavis » May 4th, 2019, 6:17 am

outdoorcats
- had already watched
Columbus (Kogonada - 2017)
Diamantino (Gabriel Abrantes and Daniel Schmidt - 2018)
Harmonium (Kôji Fukada - 2016)
Have a Nice Day (Liu Jian - 2017)
It's Only the End of the World (Xavier Dolan - 2016)
Jeune femme [aka Montparnasse Bienvenue (Léonor Serraille - 2017)
Long Day's Journey Into Night (Ban Gi - 2018)

- planning to watch
An Elephant Sitting Still (Bo Hu - 2018)
Galveston (Mélanie Laurent - 2017)
Rafiki (Wanuri Kahiu - 2018)
Shirkers (Sandi Tan - 2018)

- should watch?
Custody (Xavier Legrand - 2017)

Ivan0716
- had already watched
A Gentle Creature (2017, Sergey Loznitsa) [Russia]
Lover for a Day (2017, Philippe Garrel) [France]
Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (2017, Mouly Surya) [Indonesia]
The Wild Boys (2017, Bertrand Mandico) [France]

- seen now
One Cut of the Dead (2017, Shin'ichirô Ueda) [Japan]

- planning to watch
Angels Wear White (2017, Vivian Qu)
Quién te cantará (2018. Carlos Vermut) [Spain]
Sunday's Illness (2018, Ramón Salazar) [Spain]

- how to watch?
Holiday (2018, Isabella Eklöf) [Denmark]

sacmersault
- had already watched
After the Storm (2016)
The Heiresses (2018)
Support the Girls (2018)
Spoor (2017)

- seen now
LA 92 (2017)
Vox Lux (2018)

- planning to watch
Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017)

Fergenaprido
- had already watched
Newton (2017 IND)

- seen now
Ash Is the Purest White (Jiang hu er nv) (2018 CHN)

- planning to watch
Hotel Salvation (Mukti Bhawan) (2016 IND)
Shuttle Life (Fen bei ren sheng) (2017 MLY)

flaiky
- had already watched

- seen now

- planning to watch
Wallay (Berni Goldblat, France...Africa)

- should watch?
Weiner (Josh Kriegman + Elyse Steinberg, US, doc)

overview
22 had already watched
5 watched so far
13 in the plans to watch
makes 40 to support in total

beavis

Post by beavis » May 4th, 2019, 6:37 am

I had already given categories for my nominations (in post #7 of this thread), shall also try to update the spreadsheet where I can

We could try to keep tabs on how well each category is doing and adjust our viewing plans if need be. The nominations from everybody seem nicely balanced between english, world, genre, animation, lgbt and doc on first glance, so I think we're allright for the moment.

On a sidenote
This is my current top10 of new movies watched this year. There are three amazing animated movies in there!

Nuestro tiempo (2018) - 9
Ti imaš noć (2018) - 8,5
Di qiu zui hou de ye wan (2018) - 8,5
Napszállta (2018) - 8,5
Sona Dhwandi Bhed Te Sucha Pahaad (2018) - 8,5
In Fabric (2018) - 8,5
La casa lobo (2018) - 8,5
Un día más con vida (2018) - 8,5
Ruben Brandt, Collector (2018) - 8,5
The House That Jack Built (2018) - 8,5

Of course we want to stay away from the most recent movies a bit, plenty of time down the road to select them, but if animation would be a hard to fill… :)

beavis

Post by beavis » May 12th, 2019, 10:38 am

some suggestions for the shorts programs:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/brotherhood-2018/
a look at returning jihadi from a Tunesian perspective, beautifully filmed, makes perfect use of the short form to pack a punch and provoke thought

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/piscina/
LBGT themed roadmovie from Brazil

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/muil/
artistic but transgressive horror

The Glamorous Boys of Tang (2019, Su Hui-yu)
transgressive piece of art

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/m.a ... ald+trump/
fun Mexican reaction to Donald Trump

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/com ... +portugal/
Eugene Green ode to Portugal

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ond ... juventude/
modern arthouse summer meditation

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/anteu/
more Portugese arthouse

Anything by prolific/cult short filmers like Ben Rivers, Scott Barley, Bertrand Mandico...

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » May 12th, 2019, 3:24 pm

beavis wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 10:38 am
some suggestions for the shorts programs:
Cool. Any links/rips that you can send us along with the suggestions would be appreciated, makes our "job" much easier.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

beavis

Post by beavis » May 12th, 2019, 6:53 pm

this is the only one on YouTube I think

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 12th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Illian Metev's 3/4 is a breathtakingly beautiful film. More of a slice of life type film than a narrative one, but it has a photographer's eye for framing gorgeous vignettes, whether it's a tween brother annoying his older sister on a walk home from school or an academic casually discussing dark matter with a younger colleague, each (usually mobile) frame is a mini masterwork of lighting and focus. Combine that with a soundscape of ambient noise in place of non-diegetic music (for example, when the characters walk through the city, you really hear and feel the city like it's there) and this aesthetic is really up my alley. There's a common theme running throughout of characters being pressured to leave Bulgaria for greener pastures; but it's more the type of film about finding profound beauty in small moments than a message-oriented political parable.

Here's a teaser so you can see if the aesthetic interests you.

Personally, I'd strongly recommend it for this year's fest. Thanks for recommending it beavis!
Last edited by outdoorcats on May 13th, 2019, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » May 13th, 2019, 3:29 am

Is it just 6 of us?
Is the spreadsheet up to date?

Fergenaprido:
1. The Distinguished Citizen (El ciudadano ilustre) (2016 ARG)
Outdoorcats:
1. The Workshop (Laurence Cantet - 2017)
2. Diamantino (Gabriel Abrantes and Daniel Schmidt - 2018)
Already Seen:
1. I Am Not Your Negro (Raoul Peck - 2016)
2. Custody (Xavier Legrand - 2017)
3. El bar (Álex de la Iglesia - 2017)
Beavis:
1. Foxtrot 2017
Ivan0716:
1. Angels Wear White (2017, Vivian Qu)
Already Seen:
1. Bombshell: A Hedy Lamaar Story (2017, Alexandra Dean) [USA]
Flaiky:
Already Seen:
1. Last Men in Aleppo (Feras Fayyad, Syria, doc)
2. Weiner (Josh Kriegman + Elyse Steinberg, US, doc)
3. The Innocents (Anne Fontaine, France/Poland)