Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

beavis

Re: iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 3:29 pm

thanks for taking action Ivan!

I did a big rehaul on the spreadsheat, there was still quite a bit of cleaning up to do (and I had a load of free time today)
also added Beast (next to Ivan's additions)
Tower is still lacking information (and votes)
not added all suggestions of post#153 above here yet, but if there is more support for those, I think it will help to have them as options
the bright green color might not be consistently applied (something wrong between Shadow World and Sarah Plays...)
I removed the bright violet color since only one person was using it, and I assume he is also keeping track of his watchlist
there is one score with a ,5 decimal. maybe this one should be rounded up or down to get full uniformity on the scoring system

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » September 10th, 2019, 4:16 pm

One other thing I was looking at, the Euro section shouldn't be all french films. Maybe, we could look for other country/language films

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 10th, 2019, 4:57 pm

beavis wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 3:29 pm
the bright green color might not be consistently applied (something wrong between Shadow World and Sarah Plays...)
I removed the bright violet color since only one person was using it, and I assume he is also keeping track of his watchlist
there is one score with a ,5 decimal. maybe this one should be rounded up or down to get full uniformity on the scoring system
Bright green colour should be automatic if it's above a certain score according to the formula... perhaps someone manually filled in a few cells... I can doublecheck

I was using bright violet to indicate to others which films I was planning on seeing; I thought it would be useful to know when we're deciding which films are still under consideration.

I also explained my .5 rating in a post above. I'm still on the fence on whether it should be a 1 or a 2. :p
beavis wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 8:25 am
btw, I just read the first post back, with regards to our timeline, we were supposed to have this finished on July 15th!
That was just an initial supposition, if we wanted to have the festival earlier in the year than November. Later on in the thread we discussed on an August 31st target for watching films before planning the programming, which we've largely stuck too.

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Yeah, we are moving forward still, but i was not feeling any urgency from some people 😄

The half rating is unnecesary because that movie has good support. Just make a decission either way, it won't hurt the selection.

Sacmersault, read back to Ivan's posts, he made the same observation. And he also made some suggestions...

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 10th, 2019, 10:10 pm

I love Goldstone, it's an incredible genre film...including it in JBD would be a bit of a reach, though. It's a thriller, but not exactly what I'd call a midnight movie. But see it and judge for yourself? :shrug:

I'm extremely busy now, but I'm still willing to SWAP Seoul Station (animation), or The Untamed (Dawn) on Sunday. Any takers?

I will also definitely get to The Ornithologist. Not even sure how I haven't watched it yet, it looks fantastic.

The general feedback from last year was definitely "scale down the festival." I think if we can deliver a smaller festival this year, then at the end we can ask participants whether they'd be interested in a female directors section next year. I definitely think it's a great idea!

Thanks for taking charge guys. Keep taking the lead; I'll lend as much support as I possibly can. I'm feeling pretty confident I won't be needed next year and the project will be able keep running annually in the future if I'm just too busy (which next year I may very well be). Agreed?

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 15th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Caught three more this week.

The Ornithologist - I think this was a holdover from last year. Been on my watchlist for a long time. ODC, you're right, it looks fantastic, but the story wasn't enough to captivate my interest. I loved the camerawork when looking from the birdseye view. I read up on St. Anthony during the film, which helped to put the strange story into context. On its own, it's bizarre, but in reference to the source material, it kind of all makes sense in the end in some strange, weird way. I have weak support for this; I'd rather see other films in the LGBT section (even if this qualifies), as I see this film as much more suitable to the arthouse section.

Weiner - my first flaiky rec! I quite enjoyed this, and it gets support from me. I knew vaguely about the scandal, and was surprised that by the end of this, I actually felt more sympathetic to Weiner than at the start. Fascinating story, to be sure, and I liked the style of the documentary; one mini-meta part where Weiner is asking about fly-on-the-wall documentaries.

Rafiki - just saw this. I thought I'd grabbed a copy without subtitles, but happily discovered when I doublechecked that they were there indeed. Love love love this film (maybe even a favourite), and so happy that it got released and didn't suffer because of the ban in its home country. Absolutely belongs in the LGBT section, but could also be moved to main slate or Asia/Africa quite easily.

Watching Other People's FilmsShow
3 and 2 will be :thumbsup: while 1 and 0 will be :down:
Italics will be films I plan to see, but of course that may change if something else comes available or is nominated.

outdoorcats
1. Columbus (2017) :thumbsup:
2. Custody (2018) :thumbsup:
3. Bloody Milk (2017) :thumbsup:

beavis
1. Drift (2017) :down:
2. Somniloquies (2017) :down:
3. 3/4 (2017) :down:

Ivan0716
1. Holiday (2018) :down:
2. Lover for a Day (2017)
3. Bad Genius (2017)

sacmersault
1. The Rider (2017) :thumbsup:
2. The Heiresses (2018)
3. King Cobra (2016)

flaiky
1. Weiner (2016) :thumbsup:
2. Lean on Pete (2017)
3. Wallay (2017)

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 15th, 2019, 3:49 pm

The ban was lifted and it played for a week and had a sold out screening in Nairobi. :cheers:

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 15th, 2019, 4:10 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 3:49 pm
The ban was lifted and it played for a week and had a sold out screening in Nairobi. :cheers:
I know about that. I'm glad they relented, but it was only a temporary ban and simply a ploy to have it qualify for the Oscars. In the end, another film was chosen for the submission, and Rafiki went back to being banned in Kenya (as far as I know). :(