Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

Fergenaprido
Donator

Re: iCMFF3: Programmer's Thread

Post by Fergenaprido » August 1st, 2019, 2:31 am

Watched Godless [Bezbog] (2016) this month - gets a 2 from me, so weak support :thumbsup: . Overall, I did like it, but it's very bleak and some of the stylistic choices didn't jive with me (at first I thought some of the blurred images were due to my connection, but then I remembered I wasn't streaming it but watching a copy on my computer, so it became clear that it was intended). I would recommend more people check it out, though, to see if it fits other people's tastes.
Watching Other People's FilmsShow
3 and 2 will be :thumbsup: while 1 and 0 will be :down:
Italics will be films I plan to see, but of course that may change if something else comes available or is nominated.

outdoorcats
1. Columbus (2017) :thumbsup:
2. Custody (2018) :thumbsup:
3. Bloody Milk (2017) :thumbsup:

beavis
1. Drift (2017) :down:
2. 3/4 (2017)
3. Somniloquies (2017) or Foxtrot (2017)

Ivan0716
1. Holiday (2018)
2. Lover for a Day (2017)
3. Bad Genius (2017)

sacmersault
1. The Rider (2017) :thumbsup:
2. The Heiresses (2018)
3. Vox Lux (2018) or King Cobra (2016)

flaiky
1. Lean on Pete (2017)
2. Weiner (2016)
3. Wallay (2017)

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 1st, 2019, 3:32 am

Wait, if 2 is weak support, what is a 1 and a 0? ;)

Glad you liked all of mine. :cheers:

Aloys is on MUBI, which I recently became a subscriber to, so I should watch that soon. I also plan to see Lav Diaz' The Woman Who Left ("only" 3h45m! that's a Diaz short film!) as most of the films we have eligible for the Arthouse section just aren't arthouse-y enough, IMO. Well, in common parlance all of these films are arthouse, but traditionally we've always reserved that section for the most challenging titles ("slow cinema," non-narrative experimental films, experimental docs, etc).

As far as animation goes, I see two Japanese anime titles on Netflix which I am interested in. One is In This Corner of the World, a homefront story about a woman living in Hiroshima during WWII, and the other is the ableism-themed A Silent Voice, which is from the animation studio that suffered the tragic arson attack which killed most of its staff last month. Is anyone interested in simultaneous-watching either of these? Or Seoul Station?

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

beavis

Post by beavis » August 1st, 2019, 10:30 am

you won't invite a lot of people with a 4 hour movie if they know nothing about lav diaz, go watch drift, somniloquies or death of louis xiv and tell me there aren't enough good arthouse nominations in our selection, for starters ;)

I already rated in this corner of the world, but am willing to put on a silent voice in the coming month... had the bluray ever since it came out

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 1st, 2019, 1:33 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 3:32 am
Wait, if 2 is weak support, what is a 1 and a 0? ;)
You're right... poor word choice. Support, but not full support. More than 1, though, because I do think it was a decent movie worth seeing, it just didn't connect with me.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 1st, 2019, 7:38 pm

beavis wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 10:30 am
you won't invite a lot of people with a 4 hour movie if they know nothing about lav diaz, go watch drift, somniloquies or death of louis xiv and tell me there aren't enough good arthouse nominations in our selection, for starters ;)

I already rated in this corner of the world, but am willing to put on a silent voice in the coming month... had the bluray ever since it came out
Norte, the End of History won our first ever Audience Award though, so you'd be surprised. All we need is a couple jurors willing to watch it, and I can guarantee one (Gloede, assuming they are back this year, is always game).

As for the animes, I'll go ahead and watch both. I should be able to see them both by Sunday night if not sooner.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » August 1st, 2019, 10:35 pm

I say we take it a step further with La Flor. Hell, it can even fill a category on its own.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 2nd, 2019, 12:54 am

If I had more money I would take a bus and go to see it in NY tomorrow... :(

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » August 2nd, 2019, 5:42 am

outdoorcats wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 12:54 am
If I had more money I would take a bus and go to see it in NY tomorrow... :(
Unless they're showing the whole thing in one sitting in NY, you're gonna need money for 3-4 buses. :lol:

beavis

Post by beavis » August 2nd, 2019, 6:10 am

I've seen La Flor over the last three tuesdays in EYE and i wish i could get behind it, but i wasn't blowen away by it... At all. It is sold as as great 'ode to storytelling' but actually doesn't do very much in that area. Raul Ruiz and Guy Maddin have put a thousand times more stories in two hour movies for instance. The movie plays out a bit like something Rivette would have made, but more sloppy and less intriguing.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am

They were going to show Parts 1 and 2, then 3 and 4 later next week; you're right in that those bus tickets would add up. I've seen Eight Hours Don't Make a Day in theaters so two mere 7-hour screenings would be a piece of cake. ;)

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » August 2nd, 2019, 2:47 pm

beavis wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 6:10 am
I've seen La Flor over the last three tuesdays in EYE and i wish i could get behind it, but i wasn't blowen away by it... At all. It is sold as as great 'ode to storytelling' but actually doesn't do very much in that area. Raul Ruiz and Guy Maddin have put a thousand times more stories in two hour movies for instance. The movie plays out a bit like something Rivette would have made, but more sloppy and less intriguing.
As someone who couldn't even finish Extraordinary Stories (I believe my thought was "I wish I was reading this."), I really enjoyed La flor.
SpoilerShow
I loved the first episode, easily my favourite of the lot, and I was quite annoyed that it ended the way it did. The second and third were quite hit and miss initially, but the fourth did help to provide some context and made me enjoy the previous ones that little bit more.

The actresses themselves were the heart and soul of the film though, having seen them play in all those different roles in such quick succession (I saw it over 3 consecutive days), it felt as though I had developed a bond with them over the course of the film and by the end of it I was genuinely sad that it was over, episode 6 was a clever send-off.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 4th, 2019, 12:15 am

I absolutely loved A Silent Voice, which would definitely make my all-time favorite animated films list if I made one. That's a tear-jerker done right--the emotion is well (not cheaply) earned and it leaves you feeling richer having watched it.

However, it has over 27,000 votes on IMDb (mostly from Japan perhaps? it was a box office hit there, but only grossed a few hundred thousand in the U.S.). We generally don't consider films above the 20,000 limit, but if most iCM users haven't seen or heard of it...? :shrug: I'll let other programmers weigh in on this before adding it.

I am a little surprised it has a "family" tag on ICM though; someone might want to take that down. There isn't any R-rated content, but it has suicidal characters and it's mainly about depression, self-loathing and extreme social anxiety. Not really something you'd bring your 7-year-old to.

beavis

Post by beavis » August 4th, 2019, 6:54 am

Wait, 27000 votes, you hadn't checked that before?
Then, if you don't mind, i won't fit it in to my other plans at this time.... I usually dislike movies about bullying anyway...

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 4th, 2019, 7:34 pm

No, I didn't check--it was a film I was going to watch after I heard about the Kyoto fire, not for the iCMFF. Though I thought I should hit two birds with one stone until I saw how many votes it has.

I'd still strongly recommend the film. The bullying aspect of the story all happens in the first 10-15 minutes - most of the story takes place years after.

I also saw Knife + Heart and Aloys, both recommendations. Edit, though looking at the spreadsheet, Aloys is unlikely to make the cut. Which is fine, as we have too many European dramas as it is, but I'll post my thoughts anyway if anyone wants to discuss it.

Knife + Heart was a near-perfect film for me, a giallo homage done right. I liked that the homage wasn't the point, just a vehicle to get to the point(s) - the devaluing of gay lives, the use of self-reflexive camp to transcend personal pain and anguish, the self-destructive tendencies of its utterly broken protagonist mirroring that of the classic serial killer trope (and giving that trope deeper meaning) - all of these combined to make an even better film than You and the Night. I think at this point Gonzalez should be crowned king of the genuinely moving camp subgenre, and Gonzalez made a major leap between that film and this one as well straight into greatest-directors-alive status. I give you as evidence the scene where Anne goes to a bird expert's, or the sequence of her journeying into the country to find the forest of origin of said bird. In the later sequence there's a moment of missed connection between her and a lonely older farmer's daughter which perfectly embodies her arc throughout the film in one shot. The whole film is just one eerily gorgeous and haunting setpiece after the other.

Aloys can't reach that high bar but was still a creative portrait of social isolation, loneliness, and depression. I was a little disappointed that the film abandoned the mystery of the first half hour to become a more straightforward drama, but it rebounded with some excellent long sequences which did a good job putting us in the headspace of the characters.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 7th, 2019, 7:27 pm

The New York Film Festival Main Slate has been announced. I won't be able to go as usual this year, but hopefully Parasite and Portrait come to the PFF as well.

Opening Night
The Irishman
Dir. Martin Scorsese

Centerpiece
Marriage Story
Dir. Noah Baumbach

Closing Night
Motherless Brooklyn
Dir. Edward Norton

Atlantics: A Ghost Love Story
Dir. Mati Diop

Bacurau
Dir. Kleber Mendonça Filho and Juliano Dornelles

Beanpole
Dir. Kantemir Balagov

Fire Will Come
Dir. Oliver Laxe

First Cow
Dir. Kelly Reichardt

A Girl Missing
Dir. Koji Fukada

I Was at Home, But…
Dir. Angela Schanelec

Liberté
Dir. Albert Serra

Martin Eden
Dir. Pietro Marcello

The Moneychanger
Dir. Federico Veiroj

Oh Mercy!
Dir. Arnaud Desplechin

Pain and Glory
Dir. Pedro Almodóvar

Parasite
Dir. Bong Joon-ho

Film Comment Presents
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Dir. Céline Sciamma

Saturday Fiction
Dir. Lou Ye

Sibyl
Dir. Justine Triet

Synonyms
Dir. Nadav Lapid

To the Ends of the Earth
Dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa

The Traitor
Dir. Marco Bellocchio

Varda by Agnès
Dir. Agnès Varda

Vitalina Varela
Dir. Pedro Costa

Wasp Network
Dir. Olivier Assayas

The Whistlers
Dir. Corneliu Porumboiu

The Wild Goose Lake
Dir. Diao Yinan

Young Ahmed
Dir. Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne

Zombi Child
Dir. Bertrand Bonello

I see that Kent Jones is trying to breathe second life into Liberté and Oh Mercy, which were both critically savaged at Cannes.

beavis

Post by beavis » August 7th, 2019, 8:02 pm

New Reichardt is always cool
A lot of usual suspects from Cannes, one i recognise from Berlin
On the names alone it seems like a very good selection!!

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » August 16th, 2019, 3:12 am

Some new films I've seen that could be added:

Mutafukaz (2017): French animation with a crazy cool world creation. A mix of East LA, with Luchadores, The Matrix, etc... The only downside is the story. +2

Beast (2017): A potential Dawn/Indie pick. A subtle but interesting story. A romantic, artsy, thriller/horror. +3

beavis

Post by beavis » August 23rd, 2019, 8:50 pm

I've just seen my last movie at this years edition of World Cinema Amsterdam
The two top ones on the list below will be good recommendations for next year (or the year after that)

Öndög (2019) - 8
Kiz Kardesler (2019) A Tale of Three Sisters - 7,5
Sultan Agung: Tahta, Perjuangan, Cinta (2018) - 7,5
Temblores (2019) Tremors - 7,5
Divino Amor (2019) Divine Love - 7,5
Tjoet Nja' Dhien (1988) - 7,5
Ceniza Negra (2019) Land of Ashes - 7,5
The Burial of Kojo (2018) - 5,5
Sibel (2018) - 5

The three movies bewlow were also in the programme, but I had already seen them before.
Nuestro Tiempo is still my favorite movie of this year so far, so that one was very hard to beat

Nuestro tiempo (2018) - 9
Sekala Niskala (2017) - 8,5
Monos (2019) - 8

So overall what I saw was very interesting and well made on the whole, just not much that fully gripped me.
- Öndög took the top spot just because it is very hard to fault a nice minimalistic approach. And: the characters are fun and original, the landscape is impressivly shot, the music is great, it has a very nice relaxed pace to it... I could have watched that for many hours more. O, and there is a huge camel in there that really impressed me, incredible creature.
- A Tale of Three Sisters also has very impressive landscape, and the way it's shot and the characters are written, always with a tension underneath (sometimes comical, sometimes sinister, most of the times unsure which way it is going to go), had a kind of Tarantino feel to it (without any of the pop-culture references and other things that assossiation might bring along, this is a very art-housy and very Turkish movie). There is one detail that I didn't like, otherwise this one would have been another full 8 score, but it's close.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 2nd, 2019, 6:07 pm

beavis, have you seen the experimental film Fausto, currently on MUBI? Seems like it's in your bailiwick. Just from last year so a good save for a future festival perhaps, but like you I'm already starting to look ahead. Experimental ethnographic documentary meets magical realist fiction/poetry. Think Ben Rivers or early Weerasethakul (Mysterious Object at Noon-ish) meets Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Strongly recommended.

While I'm here, how's everyone's progress?

beavis

Post by beavis » September 2nd, 2019, 6:17 pm

Haven't seen that one or even heard about it before now, but sounds cool indeed
And the link with Nicolas Pereda seals the deal. Thanks, will keep an eye out for it

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 2nd, 2019, 8:23 pm

So far:

outdoorcats:
1. An Elephant Sitting Still - 3
2. Long Day's Journey Into Night - 3
3. Shirkers - 0
4. Columbus - 3
5. Diamantino - 2
6. Styx - 1
7. Jeune femme - 1
8. Harmonium - 1
9. Galveston - 0
10. El bar - 1

beavis:
1. Long Day's Journey Into Night - 3
2. Pity - 0
3. Jupiter's Moon - 1

sacmersault:
1. The Heiresses - 0
2. Support the Girls - 2
3. Vox Lux - 0

Fergenaprido:
1. Ash is Purest White - 3

flaiky:
1. Mademoiselle Paradis - 0
2. Thunder Road - 2
3. The Innocents - 1
4. The Other Side of Hope - 0

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 4th, 2019, 2:11 pm

I'm back from my travels, and managed to fit in three more films in the past week. I barely watched anything the past month, though, so now that I'm back home I intend to focus on films for this and the <400 poll, so I will hopefully get through all the films I'd earmarked for this.

Holiday was odd. Turns out the copy I have is indeed the original Danish version, though much of the dialogue is in English since there are two Dutch guys they interact with. It gets a score of 1 from me; I don't care for these types of films that glamourize crime and violence.
SpoilerShow
I felt like there was so much more wrong with the film, the characters, their actions, their motivations, but perhaps it's just because they inhabit a world so far removed from any that I've known (or care to know). The lead girl seemed so incredibly dull and dimwitted. Didn't recognize her from Winter Brothers (I think she played one of the wives/girlfriends), but here I couldn't stand her.

Somniloquies is not my type of film. It gets a score of 0 from me. I guess if you like arthouse films where nothing happens, this is the type for you, and if people want to put it in the arthouse category, I have no issue with that. I would definitely object to it being in any other slate.
SpoilerShow
I simply fail to find anything interesting about blurry naked bodies being shown on screen while a recording of some guy's sleeptalking plays. This film put me to sleep (though to be fair I was also really jetlagged).

3/4 was okay. I'm not sure if I like it or not, and it sits at a 1.5 from me right now (but I might be convinced to upgrade it to a 2). Could go either way the more I think about it. It was pretty, and it held my interest at the start, but then it kind of meandered, and the last 15-20 minutes felt really muddled. I'm sorry beavis, I'm not trying to actively dislike your nominations... just seems that we have very different taste in newer films.

I need 7 more films to hit 3 for each other programmer. We'll see how close I get.
Watching Other People's FilmsShow
3 and 2 will be :thumbsup: while 1 and 0 will be :down:
Italics will be films I plan to see, but of course that may change if something else comes available or is nominated.

outdoorcats
1. Columbus (2017) :thumbsup:
2. Custody (2018) :thumbsup:
3. Bloody Milk (2017) :thumbsup:

beavis
1. Drift (2017) :down:
2. Somniloquies (2017) :down:
3. 3/4 (2017) :down:

Ivan0716
1. Holiday (2018) :down:
2. Lover for a Day (2017)
3. Bad Genius (2017)

sacmersault
1. The Rider (2017) :thumbsup:
2. The Heiresses (2018)
3. Vox Lux (2018) or King Cobra (2016)

flaiky
1. Lean on Pete (2017)
2. Weiner (2016)
3. Wallay (2017)

beavis

Post by beavis » September 4th, 2019, 3:21 pm

no worries, my picks are mainly a fit for the arthouse section, so they won't be everybody's thing

I watched Fausto yesterday. That is another one that could put you to sleep :)
Liked it. Indeed very much like other neo-ethnographic, 16-mm fethish filmers of recent years, outdoorcats. Focused on storytelling, which is a good thing, but certain elements felt too random... or didn't came together in a satisfying way for me. So it stuck at a 3.5 star and 7+ score for me (could support it, but wouldn't reccomend it myself)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 4th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Hmm, well, Fausto is only 70 minutes long and it's on Mubi for me for two more days. Maaaaaybe I'll give it a go :D

beavis

Post by beavis » September 9th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 4:44 am
beavis wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 7:44 pm
more discussion would be nice, but it also depends on supporting each others selections

last year it turned out we only did the watching, and others did the actual programming. If it were up to me/us, I would highlight some trends when selecting movies for a programme.
Agreed with both you and sacm. I think right now we can focus on watching more films, and then come late August/early September we can start having more indepth discussions about the programming itself.
What is our timeline going to be?
Have we got all bases covered yet?

It has been a while since I checked in on the spreadsheet, as i had already did a lot of watching for this project
I hope everyone is about caught up now with everything they needed to see...?
I'm ready to jump in some more when needed!

beavis

Post by beavis » September 9th, 2019, 4:20 pm

sacmersault wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 3:12 am
Beast (2017): A potential Dawn/Indie pick. A subtle but interesting story. A romantic, artsy, thriller/horror. +3
this one, right?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/beast-2017/

that is a good choice if we need more in the Dawn section
strong support from my side

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 9th, 2019, 5:32 pm

I don't feel caught up yet. I'm still planning to watch a bunch in the next few weeks. But perhaps we can start narrowing down the categories to know where we need to boost our numbers, plus start solidifying our proposals for the main slate?

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 9th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Animation, LGBT, and JBD could all use one or two more titles with a score of at least 6.

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » September 10th, 2019, 4:52 am

beavis wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 4:20 pm
sacmersault wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 3:12 am
this one, right?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/beast-2017/

that is a good choice if we need more in the Dawn section
strong support from my side
Yep. That's the one

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » September 10th, 2019, 4:53 am

outdoorcats wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 11:50 pm
Animation, LGBT, and JBD could all use one or two more titles with a score of at least 6.
What do we have for each category so far?

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 7:53 am

I did an analysis of the spreadsheet

I think we are still aiming for 10 in main-slate and 4 for the other selections, but I went for 5 here, because it is good to have some wiggle room in the pre-selections

Although we aren't supposed to do the programming, it could shape up a bit like this:
(starting with a main-slate and then the seperate sections)

Long Day's Journey Into Night (Di qiu zui hou de ye wan) - Art/AsAfr - 11
Shirkers - AsAfr/Doc - 10
On Body and Soul (Testről és lélekről) - Euro - 9
Custody (Jusqu'à la garde) - Euro - 9
Sunday's Illness (La enfermedad del domingo) - Art/Euro - 8
Quién te cantará - Art/Euro - 7
Madeline's Madeline - Art/Indie - 7
Ray & Liz - Art/indie - 7
Ex Libris: The New York Public Library - Doc/Indie - 6
Lean on Pete - Euro - 5

I Am Not Your Negro - Doc - 8
LA 92 - Doc - 7
Cuba and the Cameraman - Doc - 6
The King - Doc - 6
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail - Doc - 6

Ash Is Purest White (Jiang hu er nü) - AsAfr - 14
An Elephant Sitting Still (Da xiang xi di er zuo) - AsAfr - 7
Angels Wear White (Jia nian hua) - AsAfr - 9
Foxtrot - AsAfr - 7
Apprentice - AsAfr - 5

Columbus - Indie - 10
Support the Girls - Indie - 8
The Rider - Indie - 8
Thunder Road - Indie - 7
Gemini - Indie - 5

3-4 - Art/Euro - 7,5
Winter Brothers (Vinterbrødre) - Art/Euro - 8
Rey - Art/LatAm - 6
A Gentle Creature (Krotkaya) - Art/Euro - 6
The Green Fog - Art/Indie - 5

Jeune femme (Montparnasse Bienvenue) - Euro - 7
The Innocents (Agnus Dei) (Les innocentes) - Euro - 6
A Woman's Life (Une Vie) - Euro - 6
Lover for a Day (L'amant d'un jour) - Euro - 6
The Workshop (L'atelier) - Euro - 5

It's Only the End of the World (Juste la fin du monde) - LGBT - 8
Rafiki - AsAfr/LGBT - 6
Diamantino - Art/Euro/LGBT - 9
Heartstone [Hjartasteinn] - Euro/LGBT - 5

One Cut of the Dead (Kamera o tomeru na!) - Dawn - 6
Knife + Heart - LGBT/Dawn - 5
Holiday - Art/Dawn/Euro - 5
Keep an Eye Out (Au poste!) - Dawn/Euro - 5

El Amparo - LatAm - 5
Endless Poetry (Poesía Sin Fin) - LatAm - 5
The Distinguished Citizen (El ciudadano ilustre) - LatAm - 5
Rush Hour - Doc/LatAm - 6

The Wolf House (La Casa Lobo) - Anim/LatAm - 6
Another Day of Life - Anim/Euro/Doc - 5
Last edited by beavis on September 10th, 2019, 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 7:57 am

LGBT, Dawn and LatAm could use one more candidate each maybe
and animation is not fleshed out at all
But the following candidates are possible options (from the spreadsheet, most with only one vote atm)

Have a Nice Day (Hao ji le) - Anim/AsAfr - 4
Mary and the Witch's Flower (Meari to majo no hana) - Anim/AsAfr - 4
The Girl Without Hands (La jeune fille sans mains) - Anim - 4
Captain Morten and the Spider Queen - Anim - 3
Okko's Inn (Waka okami wa shôgakusei!) - Anim/AsAfr - 3

In Fabric - Dawn - 4
Goldstone - - 3
Realive - Dawn - 3
Di Renjie zhi Sidatianwang - Dawn/AsAfr - 3
Tigers Are Not Afraid (Vuelven) - Dawn/LatAm - 3
The Greasy Strangler - Dawn/Indie - 3
Yesterday Wonder I Was (Ayer Maravilla Fui) - Art/Dawn/LatAm - 3
The Night Eats the World - Dawn - 2

Everything Else - LatAm - 3
Inner Court - Art/LatAm - 3
Museo - LatAm - 3
Santa & Andres - LatAm - 3
Tempestad - Doc/LatAm/Art - 3
The Idea of a Lake (La idea de un lago) - Art/LatAm - 3
Two Irenes (As Duas Irenes) - Art/LatAm - 3
Everything Else - Latin - 3
Tempestad - Doc/Latin - 3

El Ángel - LGBT/Latin - 4
Santa & Andres - Latin/LGBT - 3
The Ornithologist (O Ornitologo) - Art/LGBT - 3
Mario - Euro/LGBT - 3
Casa Roshell - Art/Doc/LatAm/LGBT - 3
Close-Knit (Karera ga honki de amu toki wa,) - AsAfr/LGBT - 3

Also, if we want some Africa in the AsAfr section, people might want to watch Wallay and The Last of Us (Akher Wahed Fina)
Last edited by beavis on September 10th, 2019, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 7:58 am

not in the spreadsheet yet, but also good candidates are :

Beast (Dawn)
Monos (Art, Dawn, LatAm)
Ruben Brandt (Anim, Art, Dawn)
In this Corner of the World (Anim)
Seoul Station (Anim)
Mutafukaz (Anim)

(maybe also Nuestro Tiempo and Con el Viento for LatAm... some of the best new movies I've seen this year(!!), but maybe they are too new(??)... there is a chance the focus will be on the very recent when we select too many movies like that)
Last edited by beavis on September 10th, 2019, 8:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 8:01 am

In Fabric, Vuelven, Close-Knit and Ruben Brandt would be very high recommendations from me, would love for them to get some support

I could watch the Greasy Strangler, Mutafukaz, Goldstone and the Night Eats the World and am willing to look up any strong recomendations from the others that I haven't seen yet

NB I have already seen Beast, strong support, and In This Corner of the World, weak support, of the suggestions made by others that are not in the spreadsheet yet
Last edited by beavis on September 10th, 2019, 8:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 8:25 am

btw, I just read the first post back, with regards to our timeline, we were supposed to have this finished on July 15th!

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 10th, 2019, 12:08 pm

I don't think having too many new films is an issue as long they're easily available, and I'll support Nuestro Tiempo.

Here are a few that would fit 3 struggling categories:
Beduino (2016, Júlio Bressane) - Latin America
Love Song (2016, Kim So Yong) - LGBT
The Untamed (2016, Amat Escalante) - Latin America/Dawn

Also, looks like we might get too many French films in the Euro section again, obviously it depends on what gets chosen for the main slate and we might be able to do some reshuffling, but I'll post these for consideration:

Closeness (2017, Kantemir Balagov) [Russia]
My Happy Family (2017, Nana Ekvtimishvili, Simon Groß) [Georgia]
3 Days in Quiberon (2018, Emily Atef) [Germany]
Donbass (2018, Sergey Loznitsa) [Ukraine]

I'm sure everyone still have plenty they want to watch on the spreadsheet, so I'm not gonna put any of these in unless someone else is willing to support them.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 10th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Also, how do you guys feel about a female director section?

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I have seen the untamed, closeness, lovesong and 3 days in quiberon. Four excellent choices that would get full support from me
Have also seen Donbass, and i think that is my least favorite movie from that director.... Still good though, but with Krotkaya of the same director already in the selection, i would pass on this one
Last edited by beavis on September 10th, 2019, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beavis

Post by beavis » September 10th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Also, how do you guys feel about a female director section?
I think we wanted to scale down the festival somewhat, and seeing that we already have trouble filling up some sections, i think that would just complicate things needlesly. But i am certainly for highlighting female directors!

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » September 10th, 2019, 12:42 pm

beavis wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm
I have seen the untamed, closeness, lovesong and 3 days in quiberon. Four excellent choices that would get full support from me
Have also seen Donbass, and i think that is my least favorite movie from that director.... Still good though, but with Krotkaya of the same director already in the selection, i would pass on this one
Awesome, I'll go ahead and put those 4(and Nuestro Tiempo) in the spreadsheet.
beavis wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:25 pm
I think we wanted to scale down the festival somewhat, and seeing that we already have trouble filling up some sections, i think that would just complicate things needlesly. But i am certainly for highlighting female directors!
Good points, maybe something to think about for next year.

EDIT: Looking at other new suggestions, I can also support Beast and In Fabric with a high 1/soft 2.