Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Results)
Polls: Children (Results), 1932 (Closed?), 1989 awards (Apr 22nd), Directed by women (Apr 23rd), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: DtC noms, Aus-NZ-Oceania, 1940s
World Cup: Final (Complete)
Film of the Week: Panique, May nominations (Apr 26th)

1920s-30s Tea-Ball-Gold Room Gatsbyesque poise and haunts

Carmel1379
Donator

1920s-30s Tea-Ball-Gold Room Gatsbyesque poise and haunts

Post by Carmel1379 » February 9th, 2019, 3:08 pm

I'm absolutely obsessed by The Caretaker now, so I'm very curious if any of you had recommendations of films (or music too) from or about the cultural time period he samples, the 1930s with its ball-, tea-, and Gold-Rooms. In other words films with decopunk aesthetics, decadence, affluence, poppy jazz. Films with ghostly atmospheres, feeling suspended in time, ...

The Shining and its Gold Room sequence obviously nails this. Just relisten to

or The Caretaker's caring take [starts 1:11:02]:

BioShock (the video game) is absolutely amazing, with all the love ballads still playing through the underwater city's radios while the place is so decrepit and full of mad people.

The Great Gatsby of course, where the music is interestingly asynchronous in another sense.

Twin Peaks: The Return Episode 8 "Gotta light?", definitely.

Anything else? Cheers in advance.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on February 11th, 2019, 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » February 9th, 2019, 3:20 pm

L'Année dernière à Marienbad maybe, though I should rewatch it.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 10th, 2019, 1:28 pm

From what I remember 'House On Haunted Hill' (1999) had some of that atmosphere/feel to it, as did other, lesser 90's American horror which shall remain unmentioned for now. 'La cité des enfants perdus' (1995) should deliver certainly aesthetically. Your request makes me think of French sci-fi a lot somehow. There seems to be a lot of French sci-fi that is very retro, possibly Jules Verne-inspired, like 'Vidocq', 'Zoo zéro', ' Immortel (ad vitam)' might qualify. Then there's 'The Breed' (2001), and maybe 'It's All About Love' (2003).
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » February 11th, 2019, 11:08 am

Perception de Ambiguity wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 1:28 pm
From what I remember 'House On Haunted Hill' (1999) had some of that atmosphere/feel to it, as did other, lesser 90's American horror which shall remain unmentioned for now. 'La cité des enfants perdus' (1995) should deliver certainly aesthetically. Your request makes me think of French sci-fi a lot somehow. There seems to be a lot of French sci-fi that is very retro, possibly Jules Verne-inspired, like 'Vidocq', 'Zoo zéro', ' Immortel (ad vitam)' might qualify. Then there's 'The Breed' (2001), and maybe 'It's All About Love' (2003).

I'm reminded by La belle captive because of your post now, which I guess somewhat fits. Speaking of French sci-fi, Avril et le monde truqué is a good steampunk one.

Obviously it doesn't have to be perfectly 1920s-1930s -- the more time anachronisms the better -- it's just that the time period between the Two World Wars seems particularly large party-oriented, decadent, etc. [the Roaring 20s]. Decopunk is one good, guiding term for me.

Midnight in Paris is a good example without any horrory elements, dunno why I haven't thought of that before. The films by Josef von Sternberg/Marlene Dietrich feature glamorous banquets, balls, costumed parties, so they're all game. But the more something feels off, like it's a spectral presence one's dealing with, the better. So I'll definitely follow up on your horror/sci-fi recs (only heard of 'Zoo zéro' among those, and the "Haunted Hill" one because of the similarity to Jackson's title).

'La cité des enfants perdus' is a nice one, yeah.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » February 11th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 11:08 am
Midnight in Paris
Henry & June (1990)
Quartet (1981)
Carmel1379 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 11:08 am
Films with ghostly atmospheres, feeling suspended in time, ...
Bunuel's El ángel exterminador (1962)
Last Year in Mariend Bad is loosely adapted from a book called The Invention of Morel which totally falls under your description and has a few interesting truthful adaptations like L'invenzione di Morel (1974)
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage