Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Results)
Polls: Children (Results), 1932 (Closed?), 1989 awards (Apr 22nd), Directed by women (Apr 23rd), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: DtC noms, Aus-NZ-Oceania, 1940s
World Cup: Final (Complete)
Film of the Week: Panique, May nominations (Apr 26th)

You and Me (1938) Film of the Week #266

Cocoa
Donator

You and Me (1938) Film of the Week #266

Post by Cocoa » February 3rd, 2019, 3:50 pm

Film of the Week #266: You and Me (1938)

Summary:
An altruistic department-store owner hires ex-convicts in order to give them a second chance at life. Unfortunately, one of the convicts he hires recruits two of his fellow ex-convicts in a plan to rob the store.

Info/Links:
#739 on 1000<400, with 257 checks.
Nominated by 72allinncallme and Cocoa.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 resultsShow
#739(⇧73, #812) You and Me (1938)
Directed by: Fritz Lang
(211.04 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 73981212581398NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 251 Checks , 16 Favourites , 2 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
jeff_v (43)
72allinncallme (69)
cayado-coro (86)
Tarris1 (95)
joachimt (104)
Nopros (122)
frbrown (135)
Perception de Ambiguity (1667)

This movie fits the current 1930s Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 3rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

Here's what I wrote about this 11 years ago - just a hint of SPOILERS so you know

After the very intense and downbeat Fury and You Only Live Once, Fritz Lang's third American film seems something of an anomaly for the director: a semi-comic hoodlum farce with musical moments, some of them courtesy of an (uncredited) Kurt Weill, and starring early tough-guy stalwart George Raft and the leading lady of the two previous Hollywood Lang pictures, Sylvia Sidney. An odd combination of elements, with even some Capra-esquire screwball thrown in, and yet on the whole it works. Raft and Sidney are both ex-cons trying to go straight working in a big department store owned by kindhearted Mr. Morris (Harry Carey) who fall in love; but Raft doesn't know that Sidney's a parolee, while Sidney knows his secret. They have to keep their eventual marriage quiet from everyone, and humor ensues with Sidney's efforts to do so; eventually Raft is lured into a plot by some of his ex-con buddies to rob the store that has helped them out so much and Sidney has to come in to save the day.

And odd film, as I say, with a proto-feminist very strong female lead by the always wonderful Sylvia Sidney, great photography by Charles Lang, and a noirish downbeat feel pervading an often sunny and humorous plot line, the Langian inevitability of fate and of returning to one's worst impulses never more than a heartbeat away. Unjustly neglected, seen on a decent enough quality rental VHS.

Wouldn't mind seeing it again, certainly atypical in some ways for Lang, but the 30s were a golden age for the kind of mixing of genres we see here, so maybe not so surprising either.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 3rd, 2019, 9:38 pm

Just watched this and I was a bit underwhelmed, to be honest.

My first comment is one of incredulity - how the hell is this on the BFI 100 Musicals list? I mean, I did answer my own question, because when I looked at it, the sentence "100 Film Musicals provides a stimulating overview of the genre's development, its major themes and the critical debates it has provoked." explains it - it's not a "best of" list, but a list of key films. OK. Still wouldn't nominate it for the Musicals list, though.

Anyway, there were some things to like - some great shadow work, a few entertaining songs, and a female character explaining math. But it included two of my least favorite movie cliches (the "I think you're neat, so let's get married 5 minutes later" one, as well as the "if the main characters had one honest conversation at any point the entire plot would be eliminated" one). And a bit unevenness in characters for me.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » February 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm

good move. 7.5/10

but don't remember anything about it.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » February 5th, 2019, 12:06 am

Just watched this. I was hoping for a musical and I am disappointed.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 5th, 2019, 1:48 am

Cocoa wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 12:06 am
Just watched this. I was hoping for a musical and I am disappointed.
For sure - really disappointing if you're expecting a musical. There was so little music that when it did pop up, it was jarring and weird.

If you're looking for noir, you'll do OK.