Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

Which films Did You See Last Week? 20/01/19 - 26/01/19

OldAle1
Donator

Re: Which films Did You See Last Week? 20/01/19 - 26/01/19

Post by OldAle1 » January 29th, 2019, 4:07 pm

And some brief comments on others'' brief comments -

SOL - I also watched Jolly Fellows this week and felt much the same; on the other hand I absolutely adored By the Bluest of Seas which competes for my favorite Soviet film of the 30s against some very stiff competition. Still haven't watched Too Much Johnson but now that I have nearly all of Welles' work on disc I may get to it, and to some re-watches, quite soon. I have little memory of Whispering Pages, the first Sokurov I saw, in the cinema - probably mostly because of Jr's enthusiasm - but I do remember that it was approximately 67 hours long. Didn't like Fantastic Beasts much at all - I also really don't like any of the Harry Potter movies except for the 3rd and even that is pretty far from excellent. Refresh yourself with my review of RP1:

viewtopic.php?p=502249#p502249

As for Shyamalan, the only film of this that I really loved was The Village. My memory of Unbreakable is fairly dim but I did like it overall, and I though Split was decent; so I'll be seeing the new one but my expectations aren't anything special.

CARMEL - I wish I lived somewhere where seeing Mandy in the cinema was possible, but not having that option I'll be getting the BD from the library this week I hope. Didn't like Black Rainbow at all though, so who knows what I'm gonna think. Saw River's Edge when it came out, no real memory, wouldn't mind seeing it again I guess.

PDA - n/a except for M of course and To Live, both a whole lot better than a 7, but then numbers have no meaning.

CORYN - just getting into movies is fun, ain't it? At least I think it was, too long for me to remember. I've seen all of those except for Holy Motors which I intend to get to finally this year sometime. All classics for sure and all films I like a lot though my absolute favorites on that list are definitely Ordet, Singin' in the Rain and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

ONDERHOND - largely with you on Mind Game, not with you at all on A Star is Born (SHOCKING!); I remember liking Fahrenheit 451 but it's too long for me to remember much about it, or distinguish it from the novel which I'm pretty sure I liked a lot more

PEEP - CE3K has become an absolute favorite finally after 4 decades and 4-5 viewings; don't much like the Harry Potter flick or Secret of NIMH (the book is a billion times better); really liked Triangle

CINEWEST - I really liked Spring in a Small Town though it would profit from a much better transfer than what I saw; Dust in the Wind I saw in the cinema mid-90s, little memory of that, really need to go through all of Hou's early work sometime.

TEPROC - really didn't like Batman Returns at all when I saw it, new, but can't say much about it now; I liked the first film less on a re-watch a few years ago though, so I'm not expecting much if/when I see this one again. I didn't hate Green Book or The Mule but neither has a huge amount to recommend it either. Not as impressed with Ex Machina as most but having loved Annihilation I'm prepared to give it a second chance. Howl I liked a fair bit, my first Miyazaki and I should go back to it; Spaceballs was OK I guess

JOACHIM - loved No Name on the Bullet, one of Audie Murphy's 2-3 best westerns; seen Tillsammens and La vie rêvée des anges but no real memory. Love Carnival of Souls, mostly for the atmosphere, and there's something about the way it used the locations that I think really affected my thinking about location work, I should go back to it now.

HAWK - I really liked The Favourite and A Star is Born, the former probably more cuz, y'know, EMMA..

MDF - nope

VIK - BlacKkKlansman, yes, Whispering Pages, NO (see above in reply to SOL)

GRUE - see my reply to SOL re: Glass

MIGHTY - only Black Panther which of course I like much more than you. I think I like every film more than you, except maybe some gory shit.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 29th, 2019, 6:43 pm

@OldAle I think most people like most films more than me :P I’m annoyingly hard to please in every way for some reason. I don’t really like much “gory shit” myself, gore is a tool that can add or detract like any other but usually I don’t notice it much. I mostly like character based stuff and mostly only like things when I feel like the characters are genuine or fleshed out etc. stuff like Black Panther or most superhero movies are just full of puppet characters and pointless boom boom action and bore me easily. I like narrative based stuff a lot too, which is mostly what I enjoy with horror as well since the characters usually suck, as well as things that are atmospheric and tense or dread-filled. Just hard to find stuff that connects or engages with me in any way or makes me feel anything.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 30th, 2019, 2:43 am

mighty:

I wouldn't recommend posting on two separate threads if you skip one week of movie reviews. Just merge them into the one post. The dates in the header don't matter that much. I'd get rid of them altogether if I could find a different way to distinguish between the different weekly threads. :unsure:

Anyway, I haven't seen either of the films that you posted about this week. Your caution just further confirms to me that Black Panther is a movie that I never need to see. Oh, and congrats on the move. Are you south, north or central now? I have always lived north of the river myself.

OldAle4:

Huh, I wouldn't have expected that, re: your gushing over By the Bluest of Seas. The seaside imagery was great but the story and characters did absolutely nothing for me, though I guess if love triangles are your sort of thing? I liked the idea of the two men being shipwrecked on an island where they decide they would rather stay than leave, but the film seems to drive home that they are staying for her, rather than for the townsfolk or the lifestyle offered.

Too Much Johnson has, er, a few interesting precursors to Welles techniques to-come (shots looking up at actors, etc) but I don't know if the film is really worth watching and I found it incredibly hard to rate given that Welles never intended the film to ever be shown on its own, out of context. It's probably the least cinematically worthwhile thing in his entire directing oeuvre, but how can I really judge when I am watching it separately from the stage play that it was meant to accompany?

Eh, The Village is by far my least favourite Shyamalan movie (I have not seen Airbender or After Earth, mind you). The problem with The Village for me is that I correctly guessed the twist within about ten minutes and found the rest of the film rather torturous to sit through before the reveal. Honestly, I even preferred The Happening and Lady in the Water to this experience. Truth be told though, I am not a big fan of Shyamalan in general. He has certainly made a solid string of movies from The Visit onwards, but Unbreakable is his only pre-Visit film that I really feel is worth the time of day.

And yeah, Whispering Pages certainly felt that long. I think I would have liked the film a lot more at ~20 minutes long - and nothing of the narrative would be lost with such judicial editing either.

Yours:

I have seen the following films that you watched from the last two weeks in rough order of preference:

1. Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964)
2. The Brother from Another Planet (1984)
3. Sorry to Bother You (2018)
4. Android (1982)
5. The Terminal Man (1974)
6. Vice (2018)

Way too busy/tired to comment on all of these right now, but feel free to ping me if you are interested in any thoughts on any in particular. I will expand on Seance on a Wet Afternoon though since it is in my all-time top 20. Richard Attenborough is indeed a fine actor and while Seance is easily his best performance, he certainly delivered many fine turns as an actor in pre-Jurassic Park days. If you can find them, Jet Storm, The Man Upstairs and The Angry Silence are his next best performances. And wow, Seance, what a film. Bryan Forbes has long been my favourite unsung director and this is the best thing that he ever did. Atmospherically shot, great sound manipulation (the screams as the child is driven away) and yes, one of John Barry's finest scores too.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 30th, 2019, 3:29 am

sol wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 2:43 am
mighty:

I wouldn't recommend posting on two separate threads if you skip one week of movie reviews. Just merge them into the one post. The dates in the header don't matter that much. I'd get rid of them altogether if I could find a different way to distinguish between the different weekly threads. :unsure:

Anyway, I haven't seen either of the films that you posted about this week. Your caution just further confirms to me that Black Panther is a movie that I never need to see. Oh, and congrats on the move. Are you south, north or central now? I have always lived north of the river myself.
Yea I guess I was just going for consistency. Will just post all in one next time. I guess Black Panther is fine if you like the other superhero movies but they are just getting less and less interesting to me and I really hate the way they skim over character backstories. Why do I care about some random dude doing random stuff if they don’t even care about giving them a past? I don’t read comics and don’t care about fanboy stuff so they all feel pointless. My dad likes them because he likes seeing the comics he grew up with coming to life on the screen.

Anyway, I’m north again, on the coast. I was south east ish where I lived before, just near the airport, but have otherwise always been north. Feels like I’m really far away from everything now though. It’s nice going for a walk around the harbour and the beach most nights though.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 30th, 2019, 7:13 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 3:29 am
Yea I guess I was just going for consistency. Will just post all in one next time. I guess Black Panther is fine if you like the other superhero movies but they are just getting less and less interesting to me and I really hate the way they skim over character backstories. Why do I care about some random dude doing random stuff if they don’t even care about giving them a past? I don’t read comics and don’t care about fanboy stuff so they all feel pointless. My dad likes them because he likes seeing the comics he grew up with coming to life on the screen.

Anyway, I’m north again, on the coast. I was south east ish where I lived before, just near the airport, but have otherwise always been north. Feels like I’m really far away from everything now though. It’s nice going for a walk around the harbour and the beach most nights though.
Oh, nice. I'm currently northeast-ish. A long way from the beach, but relatively close to the vineyards and lots of fields where can see cattle grazing and so on. Probably what the average non-Australian thinks that the whole of our metropolis looks like. :P

Yeah, I'm definitely not into the superhero craze. Some of the superhero themed comedies out there are alright (Guardians of the Galaxy; Into the Spider-Verse; Kick-Ass) but I can't think of a single 'serious' superhero movie that I have really liked, not even the original Superman from the 1970s. I guess I don't have much tolerance for these films that saddle their characters with amazing superpowers simply because the writers can. Shyamalan's Glass does offer a bit of a different take on the notion of superheroes, though I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoyed both Unbreakable and Split.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 30th, 2019, 7:52 am

I liked Unbreakable and Split but not hugely. I really liked Logan, and also loved They Call Me Jeeg. I enjoyed most of the first films in the Avengers series of films but haven’t seen them since they came out so might feel differently now. Oh I also enjoyed Raimi’s first two Spider-Man’s and the first two original X-Men films.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 30th, 2019, 8:28 am

mightysparks wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 3:29 am
Guess we feel the same about superhero movies, but for different reasons. Hence why you seem to like Logan, which I think was one of the worst of the bunch. I really don't need films to waste time on some sentimental dumb-ass background story when I see people flying around in cheesy tights. It's one thing to not care about characters, it's another to be bored to death by them.