Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Results)
Polls: Children (Results), 1932 (Closed?), 1989 awards (Apr 22nd), Directed by women (Apr 23rd), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: DtC noms, Aus-NZ-Oceania, 1940s
World Cup: Final (Complete)
Film of the Week: Panique, May nominations (Apr 26th)

Your hometown in cinema?

tourdesb

Re: Your hometown in cinema?

Post by tourdesb » January 16th, 2019, 3:38 pm

clemmetarey wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 3:16 pm
I grew up in a town right next to where tourdesb now lives (Courbevoie).
:cheers:
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » January 16th, 2019, 3:43 pm

I first said where I was born, but right now I live outside of Oslo. (Lørenskog) The local train station is actually where they shot norwegian Sesame Street, but we called it Sesame Station.
That train station is also used in a norwegian movie from the 40s/50s.

RBG

Post by RBG » January 16th, 2019, 3:49 pm

not my hometown but towns near where i currently live seen in

the great white hope (1970)
the gauntlet (1977)
white of the eye (1987)
midnight run (1988)
the prophecy (1995)
U turn (1997)

plus a lot of straight to video productions. only writing this as i'll be moving soon; don't stalk me

i've been in this diner and my friend met robert deniro there when she was a kid

don't be this guy :P
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 16th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Well, besides my hometown area that I already mentioned...films that were partially shot near other places I used to live:

Battle of Britain (1969) - For a few years as a kid, I lived in England in a village right next door to Duxford, where a key RAF airfield (now a big museum) was located during WWII, and apparently some scenes for this film were shot there. Way before I was alive, but oh well.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007) - This one is more interesting because I was actually around when this film was shooting, while I was in college at University of Maryland (the movie came out during my sophomore year, so the film shoot here was likely during my freshman year). They shot some footage on our campus, at the "Mall" (the big quad/open grassy area at heart of the campus). Nic Cage, Jon Voight, Diane Kruger were all there...but alas, I didn't actually see them, only caught some glimpses of the film crew as I was headed to the library.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on January 16th, 2019, 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The gauzy thoughts of the sturdy Scots
Wrestle with the elements
Up on the trail high
I need to know where does it go
How do I get there and what will I find?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

RBG

Post by RBG » January 16th, 2019, 4:11 pm

the only 'film stars' i've seen were william forsythe and tom arnold hanging out at a bar :rolleyes: not sure the film was ever released!~

not that i would have watched it. :hmph:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

flaiky

Post by flaiky » January 16th, 2019, 7:00 pm

tourdesb wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 2:28 pm
I now live in another town with 40k inhabitants, but way more movies have been filmed there.
"Une aussi longue absence" (1961), "Alphaville" (1965), "Playtime" (1967), "Buffet froid" (1979), "Bis ans Ende der Welt" (1991), "Micmacs à tire-larigot" (2009) were filmed a few streets away from where I live.
That's interesting, several big films. What makes it a popular filming location?
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » January 16th, 2019, 7:36 pm

flaiky wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 7:00 pm
tourdesb wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 2:28 pm
I now live in another town with 40k inhabitants, but way more movies have been filmed there.
"Une aussi longue absence" (1961), "Alphaville" (1965), "Playtime" (1967), "Buffet froid" (1979), "Bis ans Ende der Welt" (1991), "Micmacs à tire-larigot" (2009) were filmed a few streets away from where I live.
That's interesting, several big films. What makes it a popular filming location?
It might not be the reason for the particular movies I mentioned earlier, but I live 5 minute walk from La Défense, Europe's largest purpose-built business district. Hence all the shootings.

Image Image Image

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » January 16th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Until three years ago I lived in that building you can barely see behind the train station (which itself is abandoned since 1980); now I live 15 minutes of walk further.

The 7th largest Serbian city (76k the town itself, municipality 125k) is located just 12km up northeast of the capital, which made it a desirable spot for film crews to make period dramas, as the old town, which is located between my former housing and this yellow train station, looked pretty much dilapidated until 2014 when they removed the cobble completely; even more because 35km further east is sandy steppe (unique in continental Europe) where Who's That Singing Over There is being filmed. In the last scene before explosion, the bus is entering 'Belgrade' but it''s actually going into my town cruising this area.

The best known foreign production is Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Behind the station, some 100m on the right: The oldest brewery in the country (dating 1722), now closed, was located just at the end of this street. For decades it's standing completely in ruins (except outer walls).
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on January 16th, 2019, 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 16th, 2019, 8:09 pm

brokenface wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 7:38 am
Where i grew up is Shrewsbury. It's not been used much, most well known film shot there is the 1984 Christmas Carol with George C Scott, where it's made up to be Victorian but still some bits v recognisable.
Oh that's cool - I've probably seen that version at least a dozen times. My mom loves George C. Scott, and it was our Christmas Eve tradition growing up to watch that film. (Of course, the copy we had was taped off TV and sponsored by IBM, so every year the commercials for their new state-of-the-art technology got funnier and funnier.)

albajos

Post by albajos » January 16th, 2019, 8:16 pm

The biggest production shot in my home territory (on a neighborhood island, so basically 8 km and ferry ride from childhood house) is The Vikings (1958) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052365/reference

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » January 16th, 2019, 8:27 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 8:09 pm
brokenface wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 7:38 am
Where i grew up is Shrewsbury. It's not been used much, most well known film shot there is the 1984 Christmas Carol with George C Scott, where it's made up to be Victorian but still some bits v recognisable.
Oh that's cool - I've probably seen that version at least a dozen times. My mom loves George C. Scott, and it was our Christmas Eve tradition growing up to watch that film. (Of course, the copy we had was taped off TV and sponsored by IBM, so every year the commercials for their new state-of-the-art technology got funnier and funnier.)
You've seen it more than me then! I did rewatch this last Christmas, first time for years. It is a good version, and Scott's a pretty good Scrooge. It was shot the year before I was born, but apparently my brother-in-law got in it as an extra as one of the kids playing in the snow

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » January 16th, 2019, 8:42 pm

I haven't seen the recent "Suburbicon" yet (it's supposed to be terrible), but a chunk of it was shot only a couple of miles from me. I remember talk about the shooting and somehow didn't manage to drop by and watch.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 17th, 2019, 2:24 am

I've spent most of my life in New York City, which doesn't qualify, and neither does Los Angeles, where I lived for four years. But I also lived more than five years in tiny Williamstown, Massachusetts.

Two movies have filmed in Williamstown and for whatever reason, both feature Anthony Hopkins (and both feature Hopkins as a college professor in a relationship with a much younger woman): The Human Stain (2003) and A Change of Seasons (1980).

I heard about The Human Stain when I moved to Williamstown because it was filmed the previous summer, but I had no idea about A Change of Seasons until a few minutes ago. It's on amazon prime, and I just flipped through the on-location scenes. Really bizarre to see places I know well but from more than 20 years before I first saw them.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 17th, 2019, 2:43 am

Apparently, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me had a part of it filmed in my current hometown at the local high school.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 17th, 2019, 3:06 am

Perth is a bit big for this even though I still think of it as a small city, and it rarely shows up in film. It was pretty exciting seeing the freeway and parts of Malaga (a suburb 5 minutes away from where I grew up) in These Final Hours if that can count...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Eva_L

Post by Eva_L » January 17th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Coryn wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Eva_L wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 12:11 pm
'In Bruges' has already been mentioned, but some others have been shot (or partly shot) in my city as well, according to this wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... _in_Bruges
I've seen Ben X but don't recall recognising my city. I don't know if all the films mentioned on there actually contain scenes of the city.

I also started watching 'De Dag', this Belgian tv show about a hostage situation in a bank, which is also filmed in Bruges.
Nice to hear someone else from Bruges also wanders around on this forum :)

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 17th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Forgot about this little gem. I haven't seen it, although I am slightly curious.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 17th, 2019, 7:54 pm

If I count my "hometown" as either Beloit or Clinton WI, between which I lived from 7-17, nada. Can't find a damn thing though there have probably been some very low-budget semi-amateur productions.

Otherwise my hometown is really Chicago and the northern suburbs. I know Chicago is big, but it really hasn't been that well-used in film and IMO there is exactly one "great" film shot mostly or entirely in the city - Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. The north suburbs that I lived in/worked in/shopped in are primarily Evanston, Skokie, Wilmette and Highland Park (which I visited yesterday for the first time in 21 years to see a couple of movies), and they are John Hughes Territory in the popular imagination - Sixteen Candles, She's Having a Baby, Uncle Buck, Home Alone (the house is in Winnetka and for a few months I drove by it regularly), and of course everybody's favorite but mine, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. To my mind the film that captures the look/feel of the area best though is Ordinary People which has a restaurant scene shot at Walker Brother's Original Pancake House in Wilmette, where I stood in line an hour many a time for the best breakfast on the north shore.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 17th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Eva_L wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:30 pm
Coryn wrote:
Eva_L wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 12:11 pm
'In Bruges' has already been mentioned, but some others have been shot (or partly shot) in my city as well, according to this wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... _in_Bruges
I've seen Ben X but don't recall recognising my city. I don't know if all the films mentioned on there actually contain scenes of the city.

I also started watching 'De Dag', this Belgian tv show about a hostage situation in a bank, which is also filmed in Bruges.
Could this be the beginning of a beautiful friendship?

Seriously, has there been a Belgian forum meetup yet? I don't think there has.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

RBG

Post by RBG » January 17th, 2019, 8:18 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:54 pm
If I count my "hometown" as either Beloit or Clinton WI, between which I lived from 7-17, nada. Can't find a damn thing though there have probably been some very low-budget semi-amateur productions.

Otherwise my hometown is really Chicago and the northern suburbs. I know Chicago is big, but it really hasn't been that well-used in film and IMO there is exactly one "great" film shot mostly or entirely in the city - Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. The north suburbs that I lived in/worked in/shopped in are primarily Evanston, Skokie, Wilmette and Highland Park (which I visited yesterday for the first time in 21 years to see a couple of movies), and they are John Hughes Territory in the popular imagination - Sixteen Candles, She's Having a Baby, Uncle Buck, Home Alone (the house is in Winnetka and for a few months I drove by it regularly), and of course everybody's favorite but mine, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. To my mind the film that captures the look/feel of the area best though is Ordinary People which has a restaurant scene shot at Walker Brother's Original Pancake House in Wilmette, where I stood in line an hour many a time for the best breakfast on the north shore.

what about the blues brothers :folded: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080455/lo ... _=tt_dt_dt <-- link to chicago filming locations

Last edited by RBG on January 17th, 2019, 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Coryn

Post by Coryn » January 17th, 2019, 8:22 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Eva_L wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:30 pm
Coryn wrote:

Could this be the beginning of a beautiful friendship?

Seriously, has there been a Belgian forum meetup yet? I don't think there has.
Why not I'd say., I would definitely be in for it.
[*][*][*][*][*] Favorite
[*][*][*][*] Very good
[*][*][*] Good
[*][*] Okay
[*] Bad

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 17th, 2019, 8:53 pm

RBG wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 8:18 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:54 pm

what about the blues brothers :folded: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080455/lo ... _=tt_dt_dt <-- link to chicago filming locations

A great Chicago movie, sure, but not IMO even close to a great movie, maybe not even a good movie. As I've said before in a few other threads, I just can't get into the loud huge chase comedy genre, though I will admit that John Landis is more palatable that Stanley Kramer in this arena.

Anyway given that for most of the 20th century Chi-town was the 2nd biggest city in the country, and that Chaplin really came into his own in film in the city, it's rather pathetic that it's cinematic face has been at best 3rd-rate. You'd expect NYC and LA to have far more films to call their own, but I think it's fair to say that San Francisco beats the pants off Chicago cinematically as well, and probably DC, Philly, Boston, and arguable Miami and Vegas as well. We just don't get no respect.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 17th, 2019, 9:12 pm

I don't think anything has ever been filmed in my actual hometown, which is a tiny, nothing ever happens there, New England town.
All the other cities I've lived in for at least 5 years are too big to qualify: Los Angeles, Boston, and Philadelphia.
Providence has had a bunch filmed there, but nothing I've seen. :(

RBG

Post by RBG » January 17th, 2019, 10:12 pm

lol i'm sure i'm haven't seen the blues brothers since the 80s, aside from clips with aretha franklin and ray charles (the best parts anyway i'm sure)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » January 17th, 2019, 11:16 pm

The ongoing general love for the Blues Brothers movie really mystifies me. I didn't even enjoy the Blues Brothers much on Saturday Night Live, and SNL was really important to me back then. Take out the fun performances by the old music legends, and it's little more than car chases.

It's one of those indulgent bits that's soured because the comedians delivering it are so obviously their own biggest fans. It's the same air of self-congratulation that turned me off Kevin Spacey (and his damn celebrity impressions), long before he had, um, bigger problems.

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » January 18th, 2019, 2:12 am

I live in Upstate New York (roughly 2hrs north of NYC) so a lot of stuff gets filmed here for anything that wants to be close to a metropolitan area but have the appearance of something rural. I've recognized some locales in movies just this year (A Quiet Place & The Miseducation of Cameron Post).

monclivie

Post by monclivie » January 27th, 2019, 6:37 pm

I'm from quite a big city Krakow, Poland, where Shindler's List and the Polish half of The Double Life of Véronique were filmed, so it's not a big deal seeing it in every fifth Polish movie, but somehow it's also quite popular among Indian producers and almost every year some Bollywood movie is filmed there :huh:
Mario Gaborović wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 7:35 pm
When going abroad do you wish to see those OTHER towns than the capital? How much do you know about smaller towns around the globe that aren't tourist destinations either?
There's a lot to do in capital cities, but whatever European country I'm visiting, I prefer small towns and villages. I've been to Amsterdam, and the best memory is one day out of town and cycling to the sea. I've been to Dublin, and also, I had the best moments while spending one day in the countryside. I've been to Paris, and it was great, but I was so much more impressed by the little towns I've seen later that month, I've been seriously thinking about buying a house in that area (I was about 17).

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 27th, 2019, 6:41 pm

there is a documentary about Helsinki: Helsinki, Ikuisesti - lived there 19 years and it was under 500k when i was born
Komisario palmu movies took place there
Currently been living 11 or so years in Vantaa (city next to Helsinki), dont remember any movie from here tho

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 27th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Haven't seen it but they made a movie with the late Anton Yelchin in Porto, where I went to college and currently live and work.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » January 30th, 2019, 3:02 am

The Devil's Playground (2002) is a 2007 documentary about the Amish youth experiencing rumspringa. Some shots of Sarasota, Fl were used (accident + hospital) because we have a decent-sized Amish population.

Spring Breakers (2012) had some shots here, but I don't remember recognizing anything notable.

Kevin Smith's next movie (Killroy Was Here) filmed here some, so I'll probably check that out later.

fori

Post by fori » January 30th, 2019, 6:43 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _in_Sydney
Numerous other things as well. Lots of these were filmed in very familiar locations, many of which at one time or another I visited everyday.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » January 30th, 2019, 11:07 am

Hmm, I was about to do a long post but then I realised my home town is up to 535,000 :blink: any flexibility? (Bristol, UK)
Last edited by matthewscott8 on January 30th, 2019, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

fori

Post by fori » January 30th, 2019, 11:09 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 11:07 am
Hmm, I was about to do a long post but then I realised my home town is up to 535,000 :blink: any flexibility?
Ahhh missed that part, sorry all.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 30th, 2019, 2:51 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 11:07 am
Hmm, I was about to do a long post but then I realised my home town is up to 535,000 :blink: any flexibility? (Bristol, UK)
Well, I posted about Chicago. I think if you live in a larger city that has not gotten it's due in film by your standards, you should go ahead. I'm sure there are cities with 1 million or more that haven't got a single really good film associated with them - even if we leave out the massive numbers of Indian and Chinese 2nd-tier cities.