Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Raoul Ruiz

Ebbywebby

Raoul Ruiz

Post by Ebbywebby » January 9th, 2019, 11:27 pm

I've only seen "The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting," "Mammame" and three shorts. What should I see next? I feel like I could fall in love with Ruiz once I'm comfortable with him, but I'm somehow timid to jump in. Many films sound interesting, but not quite irresistible enough to add to my watchlist.
Last edited by Ebbywebby on January 10th, 2019, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBG

Post by RBG » January 9th, 2019, 11:39 pm

try three crowns of the sailor, love torn in a dream, treasure island or city of pirates. i also really enjoyed on top of the whale

manoel on the isle of wonders is the best but it's long. mysteries of lisbon tv version is better than the film

i've seen around a dozen and really just getting started. he was extremely prolific!
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

fori

Post by fori » January 10th, 2019, 3:39 am

I’ll actually contradict the advice given by RBG... I think for a director with such an extensive filmography it might be good to see films from different eras of his career to get an idea of his range, and crucially, which parts of his output appeal to you the most. Rather than focus mainly on 80s releases, it might be good to watch this cross section:

Three Sad Tigers (1968)
Dialogue of Exiles (1975)
City of Pirates (1983)
Manoel’s Destinies (1984)
The Golden Boat (1990)
Three Lives and one Death (1996)
Love Torn in a Dream (2000)
A Place Among the Living (2003)
Mysteries of Lisbon (2010)

This does not encompass every valuable Ruiz movie I have seen, but will serve as pretty good introduction to his output.
Last edited by fori on January 10th, 2019, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBG

Post by RBG » January 10th, 2019, 4:21 am

three lives and one death is my least favorite from what i've seen. also i named four of those so you're not exactly contradicting me

love torn in a dream is the most ruiz thing ever. mysteries of lisbon's very popular but i don't think it's among ruiz' best films
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

fori

Post by fori » January 10th, 2019, 4:53 am

My point is that you were picking from a narrow area of his career. It wasn’t intended as a personal affront, and it also wasn’t coming from what I might pick as my favourites, just trying to give an even-handed introduction.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » January 10th, 2019, 7:06 am

I would definitely recommend "Manoel dans l'île des merveilles".
Image Image Image

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » January 10th, 2019, 8:19 am

there was a web periodical run by Adrian Martin (? I think.) that had some good Raoul Ruiz material. Issue #2 was dedicated to Ruiz's films.

http://www.rouge.com.au/

You might like La Vocation suspendue. It's often paired with L'Hypothèse as they both relate to Pierre Klossowski. There's an interview by Martin w/ Ruiz about Vocation at the link below. the discussion about the unconscious, the last couple paragraphs, is one of my favorites (and a quintessential/typical Ruiz moment).

http://www.rouge.com.au/2/suspended.html

tobias

Post by tobias » January 10th, 2019, 4:25 pm

I was utterly and completely sold on Ruiz after I saw Mysteries of Lisbon which was the 2nd film I saw from him (though I did not know that at the time) so if that's something to go by... Otherwise City of Pirates is great but very challenging with little background knowledge of Ruiz, Three Crowns for the Sailor is almost as good and a lot less daunting. Manoel on the Island of Wonders is a children's film, you're too old for that, instead watch The Territory about canibalism. Ok, for real, both are very good, The Territory even quite overlooked. Klimt is also unfairly slammed, I loved it. I can't really imagine there is a bad Ruiz film tbh. Just go into his back-catalouge and throw a dice or something, I could recommend every feature I've seen from him.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 10th, 2019, 4:46 pm

I would suggest saving Love Torn in a Dream until you've seen a couple of his other surrealist stuff first.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » January 10th, 2019, 7:30 pm

I jumped headfirst into City of Pirates and was sold instantly.

RBG

Post by RBG » January 10th, 2019, 7:36 pm

three crowns of a sailor was my first and same
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » January 14th, 2019, 11:43 am

I'm thinking Three Crowns of a Sailor first choice, Love Torn in a Dream second choice.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 14th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Three Crowns seems like a good choice, certainly on the surface Ruiz' most Wellesian film - and Welles has to be counted as one of his strongest overt influences - and one of the most accessible and entertaining. It's one I keep thinking I need to go back to, at the moment it'd probably be somewhere a bit above the middle of the 23 I've seen so far.