Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

The Golden Globe and Academy Award live thread - 2019

Armoreska

Re: The Golden Globe and Academy Award live thread - 2019

Post by Armoreska » January 22nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

not Black Panther. what tools. if you want a superhero movie, then go with the Avengers.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 22nd, 2019, 2:00 pm

Armoreska wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 1:55 pm
not Black Panther. what tools. if you want a superhero movie, then go with the Avengers.
Infinity War? Well no, that wasn't good.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 2:01 pm

Roma is a movie about cinematography, not about editing. So it makes sense.

Just like Warren Beatty said when Bugsy got 10 nominations. It was that kind of movie that had to succeed in every field to be a good film.
(It only got 2, so it was just average then, I guess :lol: )

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 22nd, 2019, 2:01 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Also bummed that Ethan Hawke didn't get a nod for First Reformed, but I didn't really expect the Academy to recognize that performance anyway, unfortunately. Interesting Best Director lineup with Pawlikowski getting in there, at least they got in another foreign film there aside from Roma, as I figured Bradley Cooper would get that fifth spot there. Adam McKay doesn't belong though.

Seen 7 of the 8 Best Pic noms; usually at this point of the year I'd have to play quite a bit of catch-up to see several of them before the ceremony, and I only have Bohemian Rhapsody remaining (not eager to see that at all though). I guess If Beale Street Could Talk has top claim as biggest BP "snub" that would have been most likely in the remaining field. I DO want to see that one, though.

I would have taken out BlacKkKlansman's score nomination and given that spot to First Man, for sure.
Definitely check out Beale Street, in the cinema if possible. Certainly one of the most beautiful films of the year (and deserving of a Cinematography nod over A Star is Born IMO) and while for me it was maybe a little step down from Moonlight it definitely carries over many of that film's strengths in terms of it's ensemble performance, visuals and music (a deserved nomination there for sure and now my pick to win). And I feel that like Moonlight there's plenty there that is worth diving into in a second viewing (though I doubt I'll get that chance until video now).

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 22nd, 2019, 2:04 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:00 pm
Armoreska wrote:
Ditto. I probably overrated Black Panther but I still have few doubts that it's the best superhero film since The Rocketeer a generation ago. Avengers on the other hand was just a big sloppy pointless mess which I would have said was the worst SH film in the last couple of years until I saw Aquaman. I guess there's more competition for worst in the genre though.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 22nd, 2019, 2:04 pm

albajos wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:01 pm
Roma is a movie about cinematography, not about editing. So it makes sense.
Haven't seen it, but a friend of mine says the film is entirely long takes. If that's true, that makes sense, and Birdman is of course the only film to win without a Best Editing nod in the past 38 years, so maybe Roma still has hope.

Damn, hard to believe Green Book is out of the race only days after winning the PGA award. I think it's the first PGA winner to miss out on a directing Oscar nomination since Little Miss Sunshine.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 2:06 pm

Well, Green Book had his dick out. If that story had broken earlier it would maybe lost Golden Globe and several other awards as well.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 2:09 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:04 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:00 pm
Armoreska wrote:
Ditto. I probably overrated Black Panther but I still have few doubts that it's the best superhero film since The Rocketeer a generation ago. Avengers on the other hand was just a big sloppy pointless mess which I would have said was the worst SH film in the last couple of years until I saw Aquaman. I guess there's more competition for worst in the genre though.
It's only there to make the awards more relevant to a bigger TV audience. Everyone knows it wont win.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 22nd, 2019, 2:12 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:01 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
Also bummed that Ethan Hawke didn't get a nod for First Reformed, but I didn't really expect the Academy to recognize that performance anyway, unfortunately. Interesting Best Director lineup with Pawlikowski getting in there, at least they got in another foreign film there aside from Roma, as I figured Bradley Cooper would get that fifth spot there. Adam McKay doesn't belong though.

Seen 7 of the 8 Best Pic noms; usually at this point of the year I'd have to play quite a bit of catch-up to see several of them before the ceremony, and I only have Bohemian Rhapsody remaining (not eager to see that at all though). I guess If Beale Street Could Talk has top claim as biggest BP "snub" that would have been most likely in the remaining field. I DO want to see that one, though.

I would have taken out BlacKkKlansman's score nomination and given that spot to First Man, for sure.
Definitely check out Beale Street, in the cinema if possible. Certainly one of the most beautiful films of the year (and deserving of a Cinematography nod over A Star is Born IMO) and while for me it was maybe a little step down from Moonlight it definitely carries over many of that film's strengths in terms of it's ensemble performance, visuals and music (a deserved nomination there for sure and now my pick to win). And I feel that like Moonlight there's plenty there that is worth diving into in a second viewing (though I doubt I'll get that chance until video now).
Yeah I think should be able to still catch If Beale Street Could Talk in the theater; it's been playing at two Regal theaters in my area starting two weekends ago, and it's continuing through this week...hopefully it doesn't get pulled this weekend to make room for new releases, but I think it should still be around. A Best Pic nomination would have helped extend its theatrical run of course, though. But yeah, I saw Moonlight in the theater which was a gorgeous experience so I'm looking forward to Jenkins' imagery once again.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 22nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

Oh sure - but it WAS one of the best-reviewed films of the year. And let's face it, while some are probably going to call this "unprecedented", there have been many examples in the past where big hits that were more popular successes than anything else have gotten BP noms - Star Wars being a prime example which was not considered "serious" enough by many. The Oscars have always had an element of trying to appeal to popular taste - while also pretending to represent "the best" in cinema. It's all a big scam in many ways of course but whatever gets them a few more dollars for spending on new auditoriums and staff, etc.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 2:17 pm

The reason Gräns got best makeup nomination

And it isn't really noticable that it is a makeup job in the movie. (The image is from the poster which is a bit more grained)
one moreShow
It will probably win Guldbagge in a week, so then it becomes an official check.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » January 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm

Ehh these nom's are kind of a mess. Some good, some bad. Scattered thoughts:

Yay
- Roma and The Favourite with 10 nominations a piece is very good.
- Paul Schrader finally gets a long overdue screenplay nod with First Reformed.
- BlackKklansman leads to a lot of deserving first-time nominees, namely Spike Lee in directing; also Adam Driver & Terence Blanchard.
- Two Foreign Language films in Best Director and THREE in Best Cinematography is a nice surprise, and definitely bodes well for Roma's chances at winning Best Picture.
- I don't usually pay attention to the VFX category, but I'm relatively pleased with the selection. Black Panther was a good film but the effects were pretty bad, so it getting left out made sense, and it's pretty amusing to see a cute, unassuming family picture like Christopher Robin side by side with more large scaled blockbusters.

Nay
- Ethan Hawke's Best Actor snub for First Reformed is a travesty, and is guaranteed to go down as one of the worst snubs of the decade.
- First Man's outstanding musical score surprisingly excluded, especially after winning the Globe and the film getting tech love elsewhere.
- Won't You Be My Neighbor? being ignored for Best Documentary is disappointing, but the documentary branch of the Academy is so random and arbitrary in its choices, I'm not even all that shocked, to tell you the truth.
- Nothing for terrific summer indies like Eighth Grade and Leave No Trace. Not too surprised by their exclusions either, but sometimes it'd nice for the Oscars to acknowledge more than two films that get released before TIFF.
- Timothee Chalamet getting snubbed for Beautiful Boy is more surprising than disappointing, but giving his slot to Sam Rockwell's half-assed Bush impression in Vice? Meh. If you're gonna give someone else from that ensemble a nod, at least give it to Steve Carrell, who actually gave a real performance and was in the film for more than five minutes.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 2:47 pm

Good_Will_Harding wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:41 pm
and is guaranteed to go down as one of the worst snubs of the decade.
The biggest snub was of course The LEGO Movie 4 years ago

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » January 22nd, 2019, 3:03 pm

albajos wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:17 pm

And it isn't really noticable that it is a makeup job in the movie. (The image is from the poster which is a bit more grained)
one moreShow
If the result of the make-up is the picture on the right, it definitely deserves an Oscar. :whistling:
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 22nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:03 pm
albajos wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:17 pm

one moreShow
If the result of the make-up is the picture on the right, it definitely deserves an Oscar. :whistling:
:lol: :lol:

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 22nd, 2019, 3:43 pm

LOL A Star is Born nominated for Best Cinematography??? At least they've got Cold War in there as well.

It'd be nice for Best Foreign to go to another film IF Roma does win Best Picture, but I don't think anyone had ever thought they'd see the day where a foreign film actually had a chance of winning BP to have to worry about that.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:43 pm
LOL A Star is Born nominated for Best Cinematography??? At least they've got Cold War in there as well.

It'd be nice for Best Foreign to go to another film IF Roma does win Best Picture, but I don't think anyone had ever thought they'd see the day where a foreign film actually had a chance of winning BP to have to worry about that.
Could also happened to Amour 6 years ago. It won foreign language, was nominated to best picture

The Artist wasn't even nominated to foreign language, but that one is of course mostly silent.
Last edited by albajos on January 22nd, 2019, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 22nd, 2019, 3:49 pm

albajos wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:47 pm
Ivan0716 wrote:

Could also happened to Amour 6 years ago. It won foreign language, was nominated to best picture
Yes Amour was nominated but it didn't really have a chance of winning it.

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:49 pm
albajos wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:47 pm
Ivan0716 wrote:

Yes Amour was nominated but it didn't really have a chance of winning it.
Aganst Argo? Any film could have won against Argo

albajos

Post by albajos » January 22nd, 2019, 3:52 pm

We also have La vita è bella in 1998. Won foreign, nominated to BP

Nobody thought Shakespeare in Love would win that year.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » January 22nd, 2019, 3:56 pm

To be honest this is an incredibly lackluster year for best picture. Already seen Bohemian Rhapsody (which is incredibly ordinary, with absurdly lay direction/story) and Black Panther (which is among the better Marvel movies, but come on ...).

The only two films I am actually excited to watch are The Favourite and Roma (to a lesser extent).

On an unrelated note, I am very happy to see Paweł Pawlikowski be nominated for best director. Well deserved.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

Just because an undeserving film won that year it doesn't mean the films you mentioned were actually in the running. Should they have won? Probably. Could they have? Not really.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 22nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

albajos wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:52 pm
We also have La vita è bella in 1998. Won foreign, nominated to BP

Nobody thought Shakespeare in Love would win that year.
Maybe so regarding Shakespeare in Love, but it's not because people thought Life is Beautiful was a BP frontrunner...most were surprised that Saving Private Ryan was the one that didn't win.

So yeah... ^^ what Ivan said.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 22nd, 2019, 4:21 pm

yeah this is certainly the best chance ever for a "foreign" film to win BP.

Also if Cuarón wins, it will be the 5th win for a Mexican director out of the last 6 years, and the 8th for a non-American-born director this decade (Damian Chazelle being the exception though he has dual French-American citizenship and his parents were both born elsewhere). Maybe I've been too hasty when I've said in the past that Oscar should stop with these token acknowledgements that the rest of the world makes films too, and just make it clear that this is an award for American films; seems like American cinema is even less "pure" than it was in the heyday of the European immigrants dominating the directing scene in the classic era. I guess we have to build that wall so that people like Michael Bay can finally win awards... :lol:

Timec

Post by Timec » January 22nd, 2019, 4:37 pm

I’m happy that "Roma” is being considered a frontrunner. The film has been growing in my mind since I watched it last month.

Cuaron is one of the greatest living filmmakers, in my opinion, and I love how he’s able to move so seamlessly between blockbuster and “art house” styles of filmmaking.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 22nd, 2019, 4:41 pm

Timec wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 4:37 pm
I’m happy that "Roma” is being considered a frontrunner. The film has been growing in my mind since I watched it last month.

Cuaron is one of the greatest living filmmakers, in my opinion, and I love how he’s able to move so seamlessly between blockbuster and “art house” styles of filmmaking.
It's quite easily my favorite of the nominees, though I feel that I need to see it - and a couple of the other nominees - again. I haven't been on the Cuarón bandwagon exactly though I did love Gravity - and you're right, he does seem to be able to go between different kinds of movies, different budgets and sizes, quite easily. Still need to see his first film and probably re-watch Y tu mamá también and Children of Men, both of which impressed but didn't quite hit the peak for me. And certainly his Harry Potter film is the best of the series by a good margin, though that's not saying much unfortunately.

Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding » January 22nd, 2019, 6:24 pm

Let us never forget one of the most iconic moments of Oscar history:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

And so she did the right thing.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » January 22nd, 2019, 11:21 pm

Come on Black Panther! If A Beautiful Mind and Crash can win BP,so can Panther.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » January 22nd, 2019, 11:58 pm

Awesome stuff from Kim Basinger!

I haven't seen ANY of the Best Picture nominees. I'm ridiculously behind on 2018 movies, sure, but still...most of those don't look much good. I'll definitely see Roma and The Favourite (although I dislike Lanthimos, this looks promising), probably the Spike Lee flick, maybbeee A Star is Born and Black Panther. Vice looks condescending and stupid and you'd have to pay me to see Bohemian Rhapsody. Green Book looks like a whole lot of nothing. Disappointed that Beale Street didn't get in, that's one of the few movies that looks really good I thought might have a chance.

I'd bet on Roma winning right now, but I'm not confident. Part of me can easily imagine a Black Panther win, which might (justifiably) sound crazy to some, but I don't know...

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » January 23rd, 2019, 8:16 am

I've actually seen all the BP noms. First time I've seen them all before the announcment, and about 1/2 of the overall nominees. I haven't seen Beale Street yet which is really the only major one I've not seen and I was expecting to be on this list (later today, probably), but, here's my ranking, if it matters:

1. Green Book
2. Bohemian Rhapsody
3. BlackKKlansman
4. A Star is Born
5. Roma
6. The Favourite
7. Black Panther
8. Vice

Honestly, this is a weak lineup. If I'm betting money, I'd put it on either Roma or Green Book at this point. I don't really see the rest of them as being in the running.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 23rd, 2019, 9:24 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 8:16 am
If I'm betting money, I'd put it on either Roma or Green Book at this point. I don't really see the rest of them as being in the running.
I don't think Green Book is still in the running for the top award. I mean, if SAG ensemble winner Three Billboards couldn't win Best Picture without a directing nomination, I really don't see Green Book as the next Argo.

The editing snub for Roma still has me scratching my head, but unless we see something unexpected pull through at the SAG and DGA awards, Roma probably has a pretty clear path to the Best Picture award.

Then again, I got major guild favourite A Quiet Place wrong as a predicted BP nominee, so what do I know? :whistling:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 23rd, 2019, 9:45 am

Well, here's how I see the state of things at the moment. No film has a "clear path" to Best Picture at the moment, except for Blackkklansman, which (along with Black Panther) was only one of two films from the eight to walk away empty handed at the Globes. Missing out on a Best Actor nomination also isn't too auspicious either, so -- inasmuch as I didn't really like the film myself -- I think Vice is Roma's biggest competition right now.

RankFilmHandicap
1 Roma No Editing nomination; No SAG ensemble nomination
2 Vice No SAG ensemble nomination
3 Blackkklansman No precursor wins
4 The Favourite No SAG ensemble nomination; no DGA nomination
5 Green Book No Directing nomination; no SAG ensemble nomination
6 A Star is Born No Directing or Editing nominations
7 Bohemian Rhapsody No Writing or Directing nominations
8 Black Panther No Writing, Directing or Editing nominations
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » January 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am

Stop doing that. There are no rules. The amount of voters in the academy change every year so it is incomparable.

Oscars do like to hate Trump though, so giving best picture to a Mexican film is probably their biggest protest yet.
It just depends on what these white old men in the academy vote in their sleep.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 23rd, 2019, 12:47 pm

Yes, I'm aware that there are no steadfast rules, but I find these facts interesting. ;)

And if you think anti-Trump bias is going to massively weigh into voting, then surely that's a boost for Blackkklansman given the end of the film and all.
Image Image Image

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 23rd, 2019, 2:15 pm

Honestly nearly all the films are "anti-Trump" or "anti-Trump-base" in some way. I know a lot of Trump voters, and the majority of them would never even consider seeing any of these films as they are all libtard/SJW/anti-white propaganda in their minds. Only rah-rah War is Good films and superhero films, comedies and horror films that have no overt and obvious political agenda (or have a right-leaning one) are gonna be popular in the NASCAR/Evangelical/Bud Lite/Duck Dynasty crowd. Hacksaw Ridge and American Sniper are the last two BP nominees that got any significant number of Trump voters into cinemas I suspect; Hollywood really is far-left-liberal to the kinds of people who chant Build the Wall and Lock Her Up.

Eva_L

Post by Eva_L » January 23rd, 2019, 2:38 pm

If anyone is interested, I made a list with all nominated movies. I made it pretty quickly, so feel free to let me know if there are any errors or missing titles.

Shagrrotten

Post by Shagrrotten » January 26th, 2019, 5:18 pm

What made you feel that way about Infinity War? I felt like making Thanos essentially the main character, while also giving him great messianic/narcissistic goals, as well as his great power really helped him become the best villain in the MCU. They gave him the same level of motivations as Kilmonger had in Black Panther. Obviously the movie is far from flawless, it has plenty of problems, but I found Thanos one of the most compelling characters of the year and felt he really elevated the movie a lot. There’s still too many big dumb action sequences and not enough character development, but I saw a lot of disturbing humanity in Thanos and felt that carried the movie.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 27th, 2019, 1:20 am