Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

The Golden Globe and Academy Award live thread - 2020

weirdboy
Donator

Re: The Golden Globe and Academy Award live thread - 2019

Post by weirdboy » February 25th, 2019, 4:25 am

OldAle1 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:23 am
What will be Driving Miss Daisy, 2049 I wonder?
That's Dennis Veulleneuve's next project after Dune.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 25th, 2019, 4:28 am

weirdboy wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:25 am
OldAle1 wrote:
Heh.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » February 25th, 2019, 4:28 am

Olivia's speech! :'( :wub: She's been fabulous this entire awards season. So happy and proud!

As for BP: I got scared that Bohemian Crapsody was going to win the prize, so Green Book was almost a relief.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » February 25th, 2019, 4:29 am

Bradley Cooper wins having to sleep on the sofa tonight.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 25th, 2019, 4:30 am

weirdboy wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:
Denis Villeneuve? Hell no, we need a bonafide auteur in the same class as Peter Farrelly.

Timec

Post by Timec » February 25th, 2019, 4:30 am

It definitely seems like the most "Oscar-ish" film to win in several years, after the somewhat off-beat Moonlight and Shape of Water.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 25th, 2019, 4:31 am

OldAle1 wrote:
I didn't hate it or anything - it just feels very, very mediocre. "Most mediocre" BP winner since...Argo I guess.
To be honest, I found all the nominees this year rather mediocre. Green Book was probably my favorite of the Nominees.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 25th, 2019, 4:31 am

flaiky wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:28 am
Olivia's speech! :'( :wub: She's been fabulous this entire awards season. So happy and proud!

As for BP: I got scared that Bohemian Crapsody was going to win the prize, so Green Book was almost a relief.
Yes, definitely the best speech. And ditto your thoughts on the BP winner, though perhaps in a perverse sense Id have liked Freddy Mercury Wasn't This Awful, We Just Want to Sell Movie Tickets to win so that I could finally give up on the awards forever. But now I'll be forced to keep those foolish hopes alive one more year...

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » February 25th, 2019, 4:32 am

The Academy is so lame.

At least Colman won! Called it.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 25th, 2019, 4:33 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:31 am
OldAle1 wrote:
I didn't hate it or anything - it just feels very, very mediocre. "Most mediocre" BP winner since...Argo I guess.
To be honest, I found all the nominees this year rather mediocre. Green Book was probably my favorite of the Nominees.
You and Mighty. And probably half the other people here. I guess this is why I'll never fit in. Last year I'd call all the noms mediocre would be sometime in the 80s probably, if there's ever been a year when I'd say that.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 25th, 2019, 4:37 am

Parts of Argo at least entertained me. Green Book, even aside from it being so tone-deaf in nature, is just not a very good movie. It just sort of exists.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 25th, 2019, 4:38 am

OldAle1 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:33 am
Nathan Treadway wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:
You and Mighty. And probably half the other people here. I guess this is why I'll never fit in. Last year I'd call all the noms mediocre would be sometime in the 80s probably, if there's ever been a year when I'd say that.
Like Nathan, I thought they were all mediocre (haven't seen Vice). Roma was the 'best' of the lot and the one that deserved to win but I just found Green Book more enjoyable even though it was kind of dumb.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 25th, 2019, 4:39 am

OldAle1 wrote:
Nathan Treadway wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:
I don't know about that. I'd say if we were to do a poll here, I'd be willing to bet that Green Book would finish close to the bottom. My bet is The Favourite would be the top.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 25th, 2019, 4:41 am

Also the fact that something like Beale Street couldn't even get a nom in one of the weakest BP classes in years sure says a lot. I'm glad I didn't watch.

Also if you are now in the Olivia Colman fanclub, please check out Flowers. It's a magical show.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 25th, 2019, 4:43 am

I'd have taken Beale Street over every one of the nominees. My 2nd favorite film of last year, after Free Solo.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 25th, 2019, 4:44 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:39 am
OldAle1 wrote:
Nathan Treadway wrote:

I don't know about that. I'd say if we were to do a poll here, I'd be willing to bet that Green Book would finish close to the bottom. My bet is The Favourite would be the top.
Good point and of course that's the poll we just did in a sense...

But I just feel like I'm one of the few people here who actually likes most of the movies I see. Which is weird to me, if I were like most people here, I'd find another hobby. I like to enjoy things, and the idea that everything is awful or mediocre is totally alien to me. Apart from US politics of course...

But I'm just bitching. Fact is most years there's at least one BP nominee that I think is pretty deserving and it's pretty rare that it wins. And when it gets beaten by something so thoroughly generic it's all the more annoying, and especially when the Academy had the chance to do something new and different, and show that it can actually reward and not just nominate the occasional movie from non-Trumpland.

Timec

Post by Timec » February 25th, 2019, 4:47 am

OldAle1 wrote:
Nathan Treadway wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:
I'm with you there. There are almost always at least a few films on the BP slate that I really like. Of course, my preferred film rarely wins, but I rarely find the actual winner too outrageous.

I thought this year's lineup was actually quite good overall - three of the nominees made my personal top ten.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 25th, 2019, 4:52 am

And to think that the Academy's taste is movies has changed. In 1989 we got Driving Mrs. Daisy. In 2019, Greenbook.
Last edited by cinewest on February 25th, 2019, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 25th, 2019, 4:54 am

morrison-dylan-fan wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:29 am
Bradley Cooper wins having to sleep on the sofa tonight.

Was it the lighting during the performance or were they both just really, really orange tonight?
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 25th, 2019, 4:54 am

Timec wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:47 am
OldAle1 wrote:
Nathan Treadway wrote:

I'm with you there. There are almost always at least a few films on the BP slate that I really like. Of course, my preferred film rarely wins, but I rarely find the actual winner too outrageous.

I thought this year's lineup was actually quite good overall - three of the nominees made my personal top ten.
:cheers:

I just looked, and the last year where I would say none of the nominees were really worthy at all is 2002, though I haven't seen The Hours.

I'm just a softie. And increasingly happy about it.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 25th, 2019, 4:57 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:43 am
I'd have taken Beale Street over every one of the nominees. My 2nd favorite film of last year, after Free Solo.
Definitely the most overlooked film this award season, should have been nominated for best cinematography at the very least(over Close-ups: The Film).

Speaking of best cinematography, the 3 second clip they showed of Never Look Away made it looked REALLY good.

Timec

Post by Timec » February 25th, 2019, 5:03 am

Speaking of best cinematography, the 3 second clip they showed of Never Look Away made it looked REALLY good.
"Never Look Away" was pretty good, but I personally felt it lost a lot of its momentum about halfway through, after an affecting and involving opening. Which is unfortunate for a film that's three hours long.

I'm not sure how many people felt the same way, though. My responses to films can be... Idiosyncratic.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 25th, 2019, 5:07 am

I take back my previous comment about the editing of that clip of Bohemian Rhapsody, I think I figured it out and it's gonna blow your mind. You know how the band was around in the 70s and 80s and they probably did a bunch of cocaine and shit? I think what we have here is the first case of what is sure to be a most celebrated avant-garde trend: METHOD EDITING. much like method acting but it's the dude in the editing booth huffing everything he can get his hands on to emulate the characters and imbue their experience in the rhythm of the film.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 25th, 2019, 5:09 am

I thought Green Book was OK, but nowhere near The Favourite or BlacKkKlansman, or even Black Panther or A Star is Born if those two and Roma were too "out there" for voters. I'd actually be interested in what the ballots looked like, because I suspect Roma came in second and I wonder if, had it not been nominated, its voters would have pushed The Favourite or A Star is Born into first.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 25th, 2019, 5:10 am

Must add another, obligatory “LOL Green Book”. Academy looks lame as ever by winding the clock back 30 years to give that mediocre film the top prize.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » February 25th, 2019, 5:13 am

They'll feel the backlash IMO and throw a bone at something artsy next year and then back to business as usual.

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » February 25th, 2019, 5:20 am

I even felt eh about Green Book winning although it was probably my second favorite of the eight after BlackKklansman, probably because I was expecting Roma to win. The last time I felt excited about a Best Picture winner was Spotlight.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 25th, 2019, 5:22 am

funkybusiness wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 5:07 am
I take back my previous comment about the editing of that clip of Bohemian Rhapsody, I think I figured it out and it's gonna blow your mind. You know how the band was around in the 70s and 80s and they probably did a bunch of cocaine and shit? I think what we have here is the first case of what is sure to be a most celebrated avant-garde trend: METHOD EDITING. much like method acting but it's the dude in the editing booth huffing everything he can get his hands on to emulate the characters and imbue their experience in the rhythm of the film.
The editing isn't just bad like that within the scenes, it's bad scene to scene too, it's one gigantic spiral of horrid editing. Which lends credence to your theory, but realistically it's not creative enough to be intentional.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 25th, 2019, 5:25 am

funkybusiness wrote:
Does that mean the guy who commented this as a reply on twitter has a point?

"What’s wrong with that? You’re brain can’t process things fast enough so you think it’s bad editing?"

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 25th, 2019, 5:31 am

well, I haven't experienced cocaine but I don't think it's that stuff from that Bradley Cooper film in that it probably doesn't make you smarter or able to process ideas more quickly, and I think my problem with the clip is that it's horrible not because of its rapidity (although that too), but rather it's incoherence. It breaks all the editing rules, not for creativity's sake, but because it seems like he doesn't know what to do, so just use everything, or he's made sure to follow alllll the corporate memos. why can't we see anyone actually saying their lines? why the Russian nesting-dolls of reaction shots (reaction shot to a reaction shot to a reaction shot)? why follow Gillen entering the scene by seeing his shoulders, from behind, and then cutting away for a duration, and then cutting to the clip that should be used for his introduction, pulling the chair out and sitting down. the list goes on but I don't care enough to actually dissect it cut by cut but I picked up all of those issues and I watched the clip once. these people do it for a living, he probably watched that scene 400 times.
not having the same director for initial shooting and pickups probably didn't help at all.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 25th, 2019, 5:33 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 5:25 am
funkybusiness wrote:
Does that mean the guy who commented this as a reply on twitter has a point?

"What’s wrong with that? You’re brain can’t process things fast enough so you think it’s bad editing?"
LOL. I can't imagine someone writing that about that scene. I could understand it as a, misguided, defense of the editing in something like Transformers but there's nothing happening visually in that scene from BR. There aren't even interesting reaction shots. You could just have a still shot of Malek in that suit with the dialogue playing over it and lose absolutely nothing.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 25th, 2019, 5:52 am

Watching that clip makes me want to disown my mother, who told me recently that BR was a great movie.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 25th, 2019, 5:57 am

Infuriating night in almost every way! BR sucks, Black Panther is just superhero movie #789, Green Book will be forgotten in 3 years.

But, Mexico finally winning the FLF after 9 nomination is nice, Olivia Colman's win was a great moment. First Man getting some recognition was good.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 25th, 2019, 6:08 am

OldAle1 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:44 am
Nathan Treadway wrote:
OldAle1 wrote:

But I just feel like I'm one of the few people here who actually likes most of the movies I see. Which is weird to me, if I were like most people here, I'd find another hobby. I like to enjoy things, and the idea that everything is awful or mediocre is totally alien to me. Apart from US politics of course...
I'm not sure I don't like most of what I see. Quite the contrary, actually.

When I say "mediocre" I mean relatively speaking. There are a few that I quite enjoyed. I do like most of what I see. Movies are something that I enjoy, otherwise, why would I "waste" so much time on it?

That being said, I'd have been alright with 6/8 of the nominees winning. I didn't want to see either Vice or Black Panther winning. Black Panther felt like just another superhero movie, which I've gotten quite bored of, and Vice, well.. Nothing much about the Bush administration that I'd be interested in reliving. It'd be like watching a film on Trump (ugh, although I'm sure it's coming). The Favourite I personally didn't care for, but, I'll chalk that up as more of a style thing. Lavish costume dramas have never been my thing, but, I get it. Roma is a type of film that I usually enjoy, but, for whatever reason, I just couldn't be drawn into it. I'll probably rewatch it at some point. I like the rest of them to varying degrees. But, compared to the last few years, as a whole, this year seemed rather lacking in some aspects.

tarr

Post by tarr » February 25th, 2019, 6:15 am

I'm just glad that A Star is Born won nothing (except for that song). It was just so forced and obnoxious.
I'm not surprised about the rest of the winners, except for the leading female role prize (Olivia Colman is really underrated). And maybe, that Black Panther didn't won more, 'cuz first black superhero stand alone movie, and for some reason that is worth something, although the movie is nothing special.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 25th, 2019, 6:17 am

Roma would have won if it had been in English and wasn't produced by netflix.

Nothing special about Green Book except for two likable actors

sebby

Post by sebby » February 25th, 2019, 6:44 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 6:08 am
OldAle1 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:44 am
Nathan Treadway wrote:

I'm not sure I don't like most of what I see. Quite the contrary, actually.

When I say "mediocre" I mean relatively speaking. There are a few that I quite enjoyed. I do like most of what I see. Movies are something that I enjoy, otherwise, why would I "waste" so much time on it?
I both feel similar and not. I don't like most of what I see, but I don't have an issue with that, either. I think it's what happens when you've seen 5000+ movies. You become more observant of mediocrity and straight up garbage. And less forgiving of it. It's probably similar to being one of those foodie d-bags -- once you've familiarized yourself with that next-level god-tier cuisine, it's probably difficult to warm up a $2 frozen burrito and have any positive feelings about it other than, "well that wasn't as bad as i feared."

I still love the medium and the experience of watching new films, even if most reveal themselves to be $2 frozen burritos and not perfectly ripe cherimoyas.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » February 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

Coming late to the party. I have obviously not seen the ceremony, as it was on in the middle of the night here in Germany, and I don't want to sacrifice sleep for it right before a regular work day.

So, firstly: How was the ceremony? I recorded it and might watch it after work. Will it be worth my time? FYI, I mostly enjoy watching the Oscars.

Secondly, considering the winners: The editing win for BR is bad. I mean, best film and stuff comes down to taste, but the editing is obviously not excellent from a technical standpoint. How other editors awarded this, I do not understand. And I agree that First man should have taken the sound categories, but not unusual the film only nominated in the tech categories doesn't take the awards in favor of a bigger film which then gets the tech prices.

Green Book and all the BP nominees: I don't think there was a bad film among the nominees this year, but I didn't feel very strongly about most films. This year had imho more "typical" award pandering films in front-runner positions than most years recently. And one of them won. Green Book wasn't terrible and I didn't mind my viewing of it. But man was it predictable and by-the-numbers, without a hint of nuance. At least Bohemian Rhapsody didn't win, cause that film left a bit of a sour taste as a fan of Queen.
My personal favorites were The favourite and Blackkklansman, with Roma slightly behind. All in the 8/10 category for me.
Overall I prefered the variety of last years films way more.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 25th, 2019, 11:36 am

I think Soulja Boy said it best.

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.