Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

The Golden Globe and Academy Award live thread - 2020

Knaldskalle

Re: The Golden Globe and Academy Award live thread - 2019

Post by Knaldskalle » March 1st, 2019, 5:42 am

ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » March 1st, 2019, 8:12 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:42 am
According to the video explanation it's pretty easy to see why Roma wouldn't win best picture, and something with more appeal to "everyone," like Green Book will every time, even if it starts out with fewer votes at the outset.

Don't know why, but it kinda reminds me of the electoral college.

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » March 1st, 2019, 3:00 pm

cinewest wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 8:12 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:42 am
According to the video explanation it's pretty easy to see why Roma wouldn't win best picture, and something with more appeal to "everyone," like Green Book will every time, even if it starts out with fewer votes at the outset.

Don't know why, but it kinda reminds me of the electoral college.
The way Best Picture is voted on at the Oscars is also the voting method used in Ireland and Australia:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/us/m ... oting.html

albajos

Post by albajos » January 6th, 2020, 9:49 am

I didn't run this thread last night since I found the movie selection itself rather meh, so I'd sleep instead.

The only thing I hope for the Oscars is that Greta Gerwig get best director. It's the only movie of those that was nominated to Golden Globe I actually want to see (and it's about time)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » January 6th, 2020, 7:43 pm

albajos wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:49 am
I didn't run this thread last night since I found the movie selection itself rather meh, so I'd sleep instead.

The only thing I hope for the Oscars is that Greta Gerwig get best director. It's the only movie of those that was nominated to Golden Globe I actually want to see (and it's about time)
Just watched Ricky Gervais's intro: hilarious, no one was spared !
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7q4wxq
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

sebby

Post by sebby » January 7th, 2020, 12:45 am

albajos wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:49 am

She get a token nomination for Ladybird, but actually deserves it for Little Women IMO. A huge step forward. Not one of the 5 best directing efforts of the year, but among films in the Oscar pool it sure is.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 15th, 2020, 2:13 pm

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo