Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Theater Re-Release and Classic Screening Lounge

beasterne

Theater Re-Release and Classic Screening Lounge

Post by beasterne » January 4th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Hello everyone,

Hopefully this thread doesn't exist, but I couldn't find anything like it using the search tool.

I really enjoy seeing movies in the theater. This is especially true for classics that I've only ever seen at home. The problem is that it can be hard to stay informed about when these re-releases are going to happen since they are often times only for one or two nights, or only in certain theaters.

So as a solution, we can use this thread to post links to classic film rereleases/screenings around the world. Hopefully there are others like me who will find this useful. And I'll kick things off by linking to the Indiana University Cinema - Bloomington spring schedule: https://cinema.indiana.edu/upcoming-films/index.html

Highlights include a screening of all 3 parts of The Human Condition on 5/11/19, and a screening of Bondarchuk's War and Peace on 5/18/19. According to the website tickets are $4 for each.

So what do you all think? Looking forward to chatting with everyone in this thread!

fori

Post by fori » January 4th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Can’t find a page related to this from when this happened - although I’m sure the facebook event still exists - but I saw a relatively rare Kon Ichikawa film from the 50’s “Nihonbashi” at a local art gallery.
Otherwise I usually don’t go to these sorts of things. I know I probably should, but i’ve been too lax.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm

NY theatrical release of Grave of the Fireflies

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/movi ... eview.html
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm

3eyes wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Bring a box of Kleenex.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 4th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm
3eyes wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Bring a box of Kleenex.
And a bottle of liquor to deal with the feelings. :satstunned:

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm

BFI is doing an Antonioni retrospective right now, Red Desert is one of the classics I've always hoped I'd get a chance to see on the big screen, can't wait!

beasterne

Post by beasterne » January 8th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Very cool. Any idea what theaters that one will be in? UK cinemas only?

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 8th, 2019, 7:06 pm

I think so, but I'd imagine there are a lot more opportunities to see classics like these screened in US, and probably on 35mm too.

Timec

Post by Timec » January 8th, 2019, 8:43 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else here is in the area, but I'll represent Washington DC. Also not sure how many of these screenings are part of a wider tour and how many are unique to the individual theater.

Apologies if this is too much information. :pinch:

Assuming Dear Leader ends his tantrum and the government re-opens, the National Gallery of Art will be showing new restorations of the filmography of Jean Vigo on Feb. 16 and one of Jean-Pierre Melville's rarer films, When You Read This Letter on Feb. 17. I'm also interested in their series of Portuguese films, which will include Manoel de Oliveira's first short and feature on Feb. 23.

The AFI Silver hasn't released its full February-April schedule yet, but it looks like the main classical programs will be United Artists and Fay Wray retrospectives.

The Asia-focused Freer-Sackler Gallery releases its film schedule piecemeal, but their annual Iranian Film Festival is always of interest. It's not a re-release, but they'll be showing Jafar Panahi's latest feature, 3 Faces on Feb. 10.

Other theaters of interest in the area, though they don't have anything too exciting scheduled at the moment:

Library of Congress' Mary Pickford Theater (downtown DC)
Library of Congress' Culpeper Theater (about 90 minutes from DC)
I haven't been to Suns Cinema, but they're a tiny theater/bar with an idiosyncratic schedule that includes the occasional rarity.

Various embassies and cultural associations like the Goethe-Institut have screenings periodically, but they're much less consistent than the above venues.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » January 8th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Here in Belgium we got the Walhalla of cinema.
Cinematek is the name of the place I'm talking about.

Cinematek is an archive for film, they restore and keep movies in the best condition possible.
Every day there are 6 screenings for 2 euro per film!
You won't find the latest blockbuster there but a wide variety of film. A total of 150.000 copies of 70.000 different film are kept underground and shown to the public.

Films with less than 100 checks are often shown here and can even be asked upon request for a showing.

Http://cinematek.be/?node=9&date=next&t ... &location=
[*][*][*][*][*] Favorite
[*][*][*][*] Very good
[*][*][*] Good
[*][*] Okay
[*] Bad

Chilton

Post by Chilton » January 8th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Coryn wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Here in Belgium we got the Walhalla of cinema.
Cinematek is the name of the place I'm talking about.

Cinematek is an archive for film, they restore and keep movies in the best condition possible.
Every day there are 6 screenings for 2 euro per film!
You won't find the latest blockbuster there but a wide variety of film. A total of 150.000 copies of 70.000 different film are kept underground and shown to the public.

Films with less than 100 checks are often shown here and can even be asked upon request for a showing.

Http://cinematek.be/?node=9&date=next&t ... &location=
At KASKcinema, one of my favorite cinemas (also a former workplace so I'm biased), they often screen older films borrowed from the great and amazing Cinematek ( :wub: ). This month there are one-time screenings of Crazy Love, Martyrs (both on 35mm), Commando, Opfergang and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask.

beasterne

Post by beasterne » March 12th, 2019, 7:10 pm

https://cinema.indiana.edu/upcoming-fil ... eyond-epic

Another exciting (for me at least) showing at the IU Cinema: Satantango will be screened October 19th. This is one I've wanted to track down and see in theaters for a while, so I'm excited I'll get the chance!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 12th, 2019, 8:21 pm

beasterne wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Another exciting (for me at least) showing at the IU Cinema: Satantango will be screened October 19th. This is one I've wanted to track down and see in theaters for a while, so I'm excited I'll get the chance!
A new 4K restoration! which means we will also finally get a good Blu-ray for it.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 24th, 2019, 2:43 pm

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this story about a teenage silent-film accompanist:

https://www.philly.com/news/silent-movi ... 90522.html

(dunno why GoT is in headline, way beside the point)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 24th, 2019, 3:00 pm

beasterne wrote:

I REALLY wish I lived just a *little* closer - I'm 5 - 5 1/2 hours away, which means an overnite stay for sure. If it were less than 3 hours I'd have gone to every film in that series, as it is, nada. But it's at least conceivable that Satantango could work out, and I haven't seen it since it came out and it's been a top re-watch priority Hmmm.

beasterne

Post by beasterne » May 24th, 2019, 6:00 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 3:00 pm
beasterne wrote:

I REALLY wish I lived just a *little* closer - I'm 5 - 5 1/2 hours away, which means an overnite stay for sure. If it were less than 3 hours I'd have gone to every film in that series, as it is, nada. But it's at least conceivable that Satantango could work out, and I haven't seen it since it came out and it's been a top re-watch priority Hmmm.
Yeah, that's a bit of a drive. I'm just 90 minutes away so it was doable to drive there and back all in the same day. I ended up seeing both The Human Condition and War and Peace in the last two weeks and both were excellent. Since the first two films weren't on many lists I decided to skip them but now I'm kicking myself for not going anyway :down: