Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Indian film recommendations?

flaiky

Indian film recommendations?

Post by flaiky » January 2nd, 2019, 3:05 pm

I'm going to India next month, for the first time, and would like to watch some Indian films as I've only seen a few. However I'd really like them to be realistic/grounded/slice-of-life, rather than the spectacle and melodrama associated with Indian cinema. No Satyajit Ray recommendations, please, as I'm obviously aware of his stuff, but anything else in that style would be great. I suppose I'm particularly interested in 21st century stuff, if possible, but not exclusively. Non-Indian films that are shot in India and capture the culture would also be welcome. Documentaries good too.

Non-Ray films that I've already seen: The Lunch Box, Interrogation, Namdev Bhau in Search of Silence

Shot in India, already seen: The River, A Passage to India, Gandhi, The Darjeeling Limited, Slumdog Millionaire, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Life of Pi, Lion, Maya, maybe some others I'm forgetting

Already on watchlist: Salaam Bombay, Monsoon Wedding

Bonus questions: are there any good films from/set in Nepal?
Last edited by flaiky on January 2nd, 2019, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » January 2nd, 2019, 3:52 pm

Dil Se... by Mani Ratnam comes to mind, as the characters in that movie travel a lot in the beginning.
Gangs of Wasseypur, by Anurag Kashyap, is also interesting as it covers a large part of indian history : it's a godfather-like plot, but it extends on 4 generations, and there is a lot of historical depiction (the use of musical and cinematographical references certainly plays a big part in that era depiction).
A last suggestion would be Swades, We the people, which kind of shows how Indian cinema likes to describe a "typical indian village"...

Bonus : my best nepalese suggestion would be Lu Chuan's Kekexili (Mountain Patrol).

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » January 2nd, 2019, 3:56 pm

Anything by Mani Kaul or Ritwik Ghatak
Ship of Theseus

These come immediately to mind. I also really like a film called Baishey Shravana (Mrinal Sen, 1960), and Sen's another good director to watch, but the copy I saw was absolutely terrible in quality, so I hesitate to recommend it to others unless they get a better copy than mine.

I'm jealous of your India trip!

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » January 2nd, 2019, 4:04 pm

Anything by Shyam Benegal, especially Manthan (1976)
And Uski Roti and Pyaasa ofc.
Enjoy your trip flaiky.

beavis

Post by beavis » January 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm

Labour of Love ticks all the boxes
It is also one of my favourite Indian movies
It gives you a real sense of being there (in Kolkata in this case)

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 2nd, 2019, 5:16 pm

There's Gandu, by Qaushiq Mukherjee. It should be readily available on Netflix. Not your traditional slice of life cinema, but quite modern and unlike any stereotypical ideas of Indian/arthouse cinema you might have. There are also a few other Mukherjee films on Netflix, The Land of Cards is my favorite but it's anything but realistic/grounded (also unlike anything Bollywood, but still).

beavis

Post by beavis » January 2nd, 2019, 5:30 pm

cool recommendation! haven't seen anything from him yet, and I'm brand new to Netflix… so, that is working out well!

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » January 2nd, 2019, 5:42 pm

Luck in your trip flaiky!, i haven't seen much from India, but i would really like to do so, too bad there's no Indian challenge this year, anyway a movie that sounds exactly what you're looking for is one of the World cup representant for india, Thithi (2015) a great movie about life in a small village, with some great characters, other movies that i love from India that could fit in what you are looking for, are, Kummatty (1979) wich is a great fairy tale, yet again set in a small village, and the documentary Jai Bhim Comrade (2011) about Bombay's lower castes struggle for liberation from caste and class opression

flaiky

Post by flaiky » January 2nd, 2019, 6:25 pm

Big thanks to everyone so far, there are definitely a few here that I'd like to check out.

Ee.Ma.Yau. (2018) also sounds very much like what I'm looking for. Has anyone seen that?
cinephage wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 3:52 pm
Bonus : my best nepalese suggestion would be Lu Chuan's Kekexili (Mountain Patrol).
It looks like this one is set in Tibet...but that's always a great setting, so watchlist'd anyway :thumbsup:
Onderhond wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 5:16 pm
The Land of Cards is my favorite

Wooaah, Google considers you an authority on this film. :o
Let the ashes fly

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 2nd, 2019, 6:35 pm

I don't have much to add but I just want to say I envy anybody getting to eat Indian food - my absolute hands-down nothing-else-is-close favorite cuisine - in India. If my travel horizons ever open up it will be a priority for the food alone.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 2nd, 2019, 6:55 pm

flaiky wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 6:25 pm
Wooaah, Google considers you an authority on this film. :o
There are some upsides to being a web dev and liking things many others don't (/won't review) :D
I think my name is there too when you look for "The Tenants Downstairs".

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » January 2nd, 2019, 7:00 pm

Mani Kaul is easily one of my fav directors.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » January 2nd, 2019, 7:53 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 6:35 pm
I don't have much to add but I just want to say I envy anybody getting to eat Indian food - my absolute hands-down nothing-else-is-close favorite cuisine - in India. If my travel horizons ever open up it will be a priority for the food alone.
Oh yes, same, I cannot wait for the food (inevitable Delhi Belly and all!)
Let the ashes fly

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 2nd, 2019, 9:26 pm

Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006) (Gandhi redux)
Chittagong (2012)
Ganashatru / An enemy of the people (1989 - cross-cultural Ibsen)

based on real events:
Bhopal: A prayer for rain (2013)
Airlift (2016)

(A couple of these do involve minimal song and dance)

Set in Nepal: Himalaya (1999)

Set in Bhutan: Phörpa / The Cup (1999)
Travelers and Magicians (2003)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

RBG

Post by RBG » January 2nd, 2019, 10:02 pm

flaiky wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 7:53 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 6:35 pm
Oh yes, same, I cannot wait for the food (inevitable Delhi Belly and all!)
yeah be careful. i can't eat indian food at all now. lentils and the smell of cumin set me right off :/

what part of india are you visiting. i was in the north about 10 years ago. would like to visit the south one day too

recommendations pretty much covered above and i like bollywood so... tehe
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

flaiky

Post by flaiky » January 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Yeah, the North: we're doing this tour plus our own excursion to Jaipur at the start. I'd like to see the south too, but I've already been to Sri Lanka and the north will feel more different...plus, after the tour we can [plane] hop over to Nepal. Hopefully another time!
Let the ashes fly

RBG

Post by RBG » January 2nd, 2019, 11:40 pm

oh neat! have a blast. the trains are fun!! we were supposed to visit bhutan too but got snowed out. hope you'll have better luck :cheers:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS