Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Academic study of film

fori

Academic study of film

Post by fori » December 31st, 2018, 6:19 pm

How useful is academic study, and how necessary is it (or to what degree is it necessary) for people who watch a lot to be engaged with film study and its concepts?

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » December 31st, 2018, 6:53 pm

Usefulness depends on the individual. I could see it being very worthwhile for people who want to pursue a career in something film-related. Or maybe those who want to learn more about the technical side of things in a classroom setting.

I don't think it's even slightly necessary to appreciate/love movies as much as anyone else does.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 31st, 2018, 7:24 pm

RedHawk10 wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:53 pm
I don't think it's even slightly necessary to appreciate/love movies as much as anyone else does.
Seconded!

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 31st, 2018, 9:33 pm

Onderhond wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 7:24 pm
RedHawk10 wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 6:53 pm
Seconded!
could or would be hinderance for someone like me atm probably

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » December 31st, 2018, 10:11 pm

probably most useful if you aspire to make films. My son majored in film though he has several other strings to his bow and primarily uses it to make documentaries in his chosen field.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 1st, 2019, 12:19 am

I was always against it because all the people I saw who had studied film were very ‘samey’ but having just finished my degree I haven’t been converted. I don’t think it’s necessary at all but for me it was very useful for context as well as learning about things I never would’ve thought relevant to film (philosophy for example). And also giving me the chance to look at film more objectively or from other perspectives, and even though I still believe that film is all about the subjective experience it kinda lets me appreciate all films more.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 2nd, 2019, 12:32 am

I did some cinema studies adjacent to my master's degree in history. Overall, I was not impressed with the academic rigor of the field (and this was one of the most preeminent cinema schools in the world). Still, I learned some things, and these things have helped me understand film better. For me, understanding film better helps me enjoy it a bit more. It does not detract from my enjoyment. But in no way would I say it is necessary to do film studies to enjoy/appreciate movies.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 2nd, 2019, 6:39 am

im afraid the technical study of it would make me pay way too much attention to that kind of stuff but philosophy and other stuff would probably help. if i would study to be director / cinematographer / writer then definitely then. those interest me but im more fit to do some other work, at least for some years