Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Mar 20th)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 2003 awards (Mar 10th), DtC Nominations (Mar 18th), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

Il pianeta azzurro AKA The Blue Planet (1982) Film of the Week #258

Cocoa
Donator

Il pianeta azzurro AKA The Blue Planet (1982) Film of the Week #258

Post by Cocoa » December 9th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Film of the Week #258: Il pianeta azzurro AKA The Blue Planet (1982)

Summary:
The passage of time in different dimensions illustrated by biological evolution, the changing seasons and the everyday moments of human life.

Info/Links:
#480 on 500<400, with 66 checks.
Nominated by 72allinncallme, Cocoa, and joachimt.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 resultsShow
#480(NEW) Il pianeta azzurro (1982)
Directed by: Franco Piavoli
(279.44 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–3
History: 48062998342926NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 62 Checks , 15 Favourites , 1 Official list
List of Voters:Show
klaus78 (8)
Dolwphin (38)
perceval (44)
bal3x (81)
rnilsson19 (128)
funkybusiness (137)
Leopardi (180)
Perception de Ambiguity (2150)

This movie fits the current Documentary Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 13th, 2018, 6:46 pm

I liked the opening 20ish minutes, and the final 10-20 minutes, but the bits that were all sort of focused on the one family in the house dragged for me, and didn't seem to be particularly well connected with the rest of the film. Maybe I just didn't get what the director was going for.

Also, I liked the fact that most of the movie had little or no music, but then really hated the music in the closing of the film. IMO the movie would have been better without that music.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 14th, 2018, 1:27 am

Thanks for bumping this, weirdboy - I forgot I had intended to watch this.

I really liked the first 20 minutes. I thought the water shots were gorgeous, and I was hoping for that theme to recur throughout the whole film. With a title like "Blue Planet", I pretty much assumed it had to deal with water. But then it started straying away from water to more consequences of water, and it lost me. Watching people work on a farm didn't gibe all that well with the rest of the film. Maybe because I live in a really pretty area of the world, but I didn't get much out of the scenery in this.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » December 15th, 2018, 4:16 am

I liked the film, but I wasn't impressed by it. 7/10

After multiple water images, I started to think this was going to be a film related to water. I was wrong. Then the film focused on bugs and wildlife. So the film is going to be about nature, I wondered. Bamboozled again. Then the film went all hi-def on two humans. So, the film is about bugs and water and the people who just happen to be in this area? Nope. Now we get farm....

I thought the version of the film I was watching had bad resolution at first during the water scenes... but once I saw the humans being films clearly, I realized I was wrong about that as well. Some scenes were shot beautifully while others seemed to be directed poorly.

Anyways, I did like how the focus of the film sometimes shifted because the water scenes weren't too exciting, but I can say the same for the human scenes that appeared late in the film (the initial couple embracing each other was fine, but beyond that...). The coolest scenes in the film usually involved bugs.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 16th, 2018, 4:23 am

Cocoa wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 4:16 am
Anyways, I did like how the focus of the film sometimes shifted because the water scenes weren't too exciting, but I can say the same for the human scenes that appeared late in the film (the initial couple embracing each other was fine, but beyond that...). The coolest scenes in the film usually involved bugs.
And I went in the opposite direction - the water was interesting, but the bugs/humans weren't. I thought it started strong, but slowly declined through the running time.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 16th, 2018, 7:37 am

weirdboy wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 6:46 pm
I liked the opening 20ish minutes, and the final 10-20 minutes, but the bits that were all sort of focused on the one family in the house dragged for me, and didn't seem to be particularly well connected with the rest of the film. Maybe I just didn't get what the director was going for.
this
maxwelldeux wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 4:23 am
the water was interesting, but the bugs/humans weren't. I thought it started strong, but slowly declined through the running time.
this
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 29th, 2018, 7:10 am

I agree with everyone else here that I didn't really understand the focus/theme of the film; it's probably best to approach it going in as just a cinematic stream-of-consciousness, I guess. At which it's pretty good if you're on the same wavelength as the director when you watch it. I sort of was. It's (mostly) beautiful to look at, anyway.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.