Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Takahisa Zeze

fori

Takahisa Zeze

Post by fori » December 2nd, 2018, 10:29 pm

What do people think of this director? Which works have you seen and what did you make of them?
I just saw my 19th and 20th films of his at a local festival a few weeks ago, and My Friend ‘A’ in particular really resonated, I suspect it will hold a special spot for me in years to come.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 3rd, 2018, 6:13 am

Your local film fest probably has a big fan of his walking around then, because I've only managed to catch two of his films myself.

01. 3.5* - A Gap in the Skin [Hada no Sukima] (2005)
02. 2.5* - Moon Child (2003)

Moon Child is a weird vanity project, but A Gap in the Skin was very interesting. A nice blend of drama and pinku. I've been wanting to see more of his films, but they're just very hard to get with English subtitles. I did let The 8-Year Engagement slip by some time ago, simply because that one looked a bit too commercial? The Lowlife I have lying around, but not with the proper subtitles.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 15th, 2020, 8:31 am

Well, seems I did some catching up this part year and a half, though not sure if fori is still around to enjoy it.

For now, I've seen 10 films of Zeze, with an average of 2.90*). Not a big favorite in other words, but he did make some interesting films and he's definitely someone who I want to see more of.

beavis

Post by beavis » June 15th, 2020, 2:18 pm

I have been planning to delve into a lot of Zeze this year, but haven't quite come round to doing so. Especially since Heaven's Story has become available recently I am very much looking forward to discovering both his pinku and art-house side, hoping to discover another Hiroki-like favorite. So far I have seen absolutely nothing (and that while having four of his movies on dvd in my collection, for years), but it should be my thing, I'm sure.