Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Horror (Results), 1957 (Nov 13th), 1994 awards (Nov 25th), Iberian (Nov 30th), Musicals (Dec 15th)
Challenges: Noir, Nordic, Criterion+MoC
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2F (Nov 18th), Match 2G (Dec 2nd)
Film of the Week: The Suspect
Film Festival: Main slate, English-Language Independents, International I-IV, Arthouse, Just before dawn, Animation, LGBT, Documentaries, Shorts (Nov 27th)

The 2nd Annual iCMFF: Just Before Dawn

outdoorcats

The 2nd Annual iCMFF: Just Before Dawn

Post by outdoorcats » November 1st, 2018, 11:38 pm

Welcome to the 2018 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

Festival Dates: Nov. 1-27

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award.

This is the thread where all users can rate and discuss the films in this year's Just Before Dawn section (horror, dark thriller, martial arts and other "midnight movies"):

A Dark Song dir. Liam Gavin. 2016, 100 min. :imdb::ICM:
A grieving woman contacts an occultist to help contact her dead son, but his cruel and dehumanizing techniques might push her to the breaking point in this disturbing twist on the seance movie.

Dearest Sister dir. Mattie Do. 2016, 101 min. :imdb::ICM:
In this eerie horror film from Laos with a feminist twist, a village girl is forced to become caretaker for her rich cousin, whose deteriorating condition leads to frightening apparitions.

Fast Convoy dir. Frédéric Schoendoerffer. 2016, 102 min. :imdb::ICM:
In this highway-set, nail-biting neo-noir, a cannabis-shipping convoy in southern Spain's route is derailed after a shootout and the kidnapping of a tourist, and the closing net of the law forces the criminals to become increasingly desperate.

Hounds of Love dir. Ben Young. 2016, 108 min. :imdb::ICM:
In late '80s Perth, a teenage girl is kidnapped by a husband-and-wife serial-killer pair, realizing she has to find a way to drive a wedge between them if she has any chance of escaping in this debut from rising talent Ben Young.

Let the Corpses Tan dir. Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani. 2017, 92 min. :imdb::ICM:
Cattet and Forzani, the team behind Amer and previous festival Best Film winner The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, return with another hyper-kinetic, hyper-stylized and hyper-aesthetic visual embarrassment of riches--but where their previous features homaged giallo, this one uses violent Italian crime films of the '70s as its touchstone.

The Lure dir. Agnieszka Smoczynska. 2015, 92 min. :imdb::ICM:
In this much-acclaimed genre hybrid, "The Little Mermaid" is given a horror/musical twist as mermaid sisters disguised as humans become hit nightclub singers in 1980s Poland.

The Transfiguration dir. Michael O'Shea. 2016, 97 min. :imdb::ICM:
Milo is a disturbed teenager living in a NYC housing project with an obsession with vampire movies as well as an extremely dark hobby. When he meets an equally isolated neighbor in Sophie, their emerging bond threatens to reveal how far his obsession goes.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 2nd, 2018, 4:24 am

Just two left to see out of this bunch. I wish Hounds of Love had been filmed anywhere but Perth because then it wouldn't have received as much praise. Pretty average film and I saw it at a Q&A with the director, who was such a pompous asshole that I dislike the film even more now.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 2nd, 2018, 12:15 pm

Let the Corpses Tan - 5/10

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 14th, 2018, 1:09 pm

The Transfiguration- 6/10

lynchs

Post by lynchs » November 14th, 2018, 1:56 pm

hum.. none! none? :)

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 14th, 2018, 4:03 pm

You have two more weeks to watch them all lynchs. ;)

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

lynchs

Post by lynchs » November 14th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Sure outdoorcats :) but they're not my kind of beer, but who knows? maybe I'll catch one or two on TV'