Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Horror (Results), 1957 (Nov 13th), 1994 awards (Nov 25th), Iberian (Nov 30th), Musicals (Dec 15th)
Challenges: Noir, Nordic, Criterion+MoC
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2F (Nov 18th), Match 2G (Dec 2nd)
Film of the Week: The Suspect
Film Festival: Main slate, English-Language Independents, International I-IV, Arthouse, Just before dawn, Animation, LGBT, Documentaries, Shorts (Nov 27th)

The 2nd Annual iCMFF: Animation

outdoorcats

The 2nd Annual iCMFF: Animation

Post by outdoorcats » November 1st, 2018, 10:32 pm

Welcome to the 2018 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

Festival Dates: Nov. 1-27

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award.

This is the thread where all users can rate and discuss the films in this year's Animation section:

Birdboy: The Forgotten Children dir. Pedro Rivero and Alberto Vázquez. 2015, 76 min. :imdb::ICM:
You've likely not seen many films like Birdboy, a startling adult animated feature following an ensemble of different animals living in a bleak dystopian fantasy world that sometimes eerily resembles our own. This one is not for kids.

Ethel & Ernest dir. Roger Mainwood. 2016, 94 min. :imdb::ICM:
Raymond Briggs, the classic children's author of books such as "The Snowman," tells the true story of his parents from the first time they met in 1928, revealing a snapshot of British working-class life and changing ideals against the tumultuous times of the Great Depression, WWII and the Cold War.

Long Way North dir. Rémi Chayé. 2015, 81 min. :imdb::ICM:
Chayé, an assistant director of The Secret of Kells, adds style and artistry to spare in this adventurous family film about a 19th century teenage Russian aristocrat who sets off on an expedition to the North Pole to find her missing grandfather.

My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea dir. Dash Shaw. 2016, 75 min. :imdb::ICM:
The bored doodles of an imaginative high schooler come to hilarious life in this slapdash, no-budget absurdist disaster movie from graphic novelist Dash Shaw, in which the snobby young protagonist must learn the meaning of friendship while surviving an improbable disaster at his school.

My Life as a Zucchini dir. Claude Barras. 2016, 66 min. :imdb::ICM:
Céline Sciamma, the director of previous festival film Girlhood, scripts this adaptation of a popular YA novel about a boy sent to a group foster home after accidentally killing his alcoholic, abusive mother. Disarmingly sweet and innocent even while dealing with dark subject matter, Barras crafts an excellent story for mature children.

The Night is Short, Walk On Girl dir. Masaaki Yuasa. 2017, 92 min. :imdb::ICM:
Yuasa, the master director behind Mind Game, brings his utterly unique visual style to this tale of a teenage girl who goes on an all-night drinking spree and the increasingly bizarre and memorable characters she meets along the way.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » November 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm

Juror signs up at the party.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr, blog
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » November 2nd, 2018, 9:20 pm

Birdboy: 10
Night is Short, Walk On Girl: 10
My Life as a Zucchini: 8

Nice job to whoever selected Birdboy and Night is Short, Walk On Girl. Both are great. I haven't watched the others yet.

I would've included In This Corner of the World in the selection, but I guess it's my fault for not participating in the programmers' thread.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » November 2nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

Night is Short, Walk On Girl: 8
My Life as a Zucchini: 7

Birdboy looks like something I'd enjoy. Cool pick.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » November 4th, 2018, 12:53 am

Birdboy: 8.5
Night is Short, Walk On Girl: 8.5
My Life as a Zucchini: 7.5

I think In This Corner of the World is 7/10, but I personally don't really like it, so not gonna recommend it.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » November 6th, 2018, 6:51 am

Birdboy: The Forgotten Children (2015, Pedro Rivero & Alberto Vázquez)
I thoroughly enjoyed the animation and the dark overtones coated in depressive minimalism and absurd comedy. It did however lack a strong core, presenting a broken narrative that simply tries too hard to be brutal, cold and sad. The drug overtones felt especially empty, while the final climatic situation felt like a second thought. The motif was strong however, and the sorrowful misery often managed to be incredibly effective. 6.5/10

Ethel & Ernest (2016, Roger Mainwood)
Embracing the small moments that captures an ordinary life, Ethel and Ernest ignores grand plots and revelations as we follow the courtship and marriage of our two leads. It is an incredibly personal story as it is the tale of the writers' own parents.Raymond Briggs is also the man behind When the Wind Blows, and you can see the same kind of soft interactions between two simple people. The greatest weakness is that it is perhaps too ordinary, but it brings an incredible amount of emotion and observation, and while it might not be intended their small lives even offers a sorrowful and existentialist look at how we all livebour lives and how fast it is actually gone. 7/10

Long Way North (2015, Rémi Chayé)
Long Way North is perhaps the most ordinary film in the selection, but it still provided strong animation, an engaging heroine and many small and cute moments. While the themes may seem overtly used, it was also more mellow, and didn't tie directly into an established story-structure, focusing instead on the personal quest of our lead, and ending on a soft rather than a climatic note. As such it had enough of its own personality to give in order to make it an enjoyable experience.

My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea (2016, Dash Shaw)
Best described as a quirky, off-beat disaster comedy that could remind you of a dryer and slightly more childish Wes Anderson film, My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea manages to be charming, creative, but ultimately quite lightweight. The majority of the humor stems from the moderately awkward or otherwise odd and stilted moments, and a rather matter of fact approach to destruction, death and melodrama. Artistically it brings something new to the table by embracing a cheap form of photoshop animation, which adds fittingly off visual touch. 6/10

Ma vie de Courgette / My Life as a Zucchini (2016, Claude Barras)
Few films have managed to capture melancholy this well. The minimalistic scope of claymation works in perfectly for this abrupt human scope of orphans, all longing for love and connections. It is remarkably slow and human. The simplicity elevates it, making us feel closer to each child, and making each emotion mean more. What beautifully crafted animation. I hope we see a lot more in this style. It's only downfall is it's length, and certain choices simply falling a little short. I still haven't made up my mind whether it is truly great, or simply good, so I will leave my rating in the in-between stage for now. 7.5/10.

Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome / Night is Short, Walk on Girl (2017, Masaaki Yuasa)
A maddening pub crawl, all taking place in the course of a night as a girl first discovers her love for alcohol and sets out to drink as much as possible. With a bizarre character gallery and a night that keeps being extended, this surrealistic marvel is just as a bizarre and brilliant as Mind Game, and I actually ended up loving it more. Sadly this was the only film I had seen before the event, and while I was fairly sure it would get my nomination I had hoped it would have quite a lot of competition. 8.5/10

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » November 6th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Long Way North- 7/10

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » November 7th, 2018, 2:36 am

St. Gloede wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 6:51 am
Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome / Night is Short, Walk on Girl (2017, Masaaki Yuasa)
A maddening pub crawl, all taking place in the course of a night as a girl first discovers her love for alcohol and sets out to drink as much as possible. With a bizarre character gallery and a night that keeps being extended, this surrealistic marvel is just as a bizarre and brilliant as Mind Game, and I actually ended up loving it more. Sadly this was the only film I had seen before the event, and while I was fairly sure it would get my nomination I had hoped it would have quite a lot of competition. 8.5/10
If you liked Night is Short, Walk on Girl, you'll probably like The Tatami Galaxy (I see that you haven't checked it). They have the same animation style and the same characters.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 10th, 2018, 7:10 am

'Long Way North' / 7/10

Really fantastic use of mellow hues here - yellows, ochres, blues. There's a simple elegance to the film's look and the storyline's central thrust. The simple and sometimes angular style with its contrasts is pretty lovely and made me think of cut-out animation. An attractive diversion but ultimately perhaps a touch thin and lacking in dramatic resolution. I will remember the uniqueness and beauty of Chayé animation though! (French-language with English subtitles)

That's all, folks!

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 12th, 2018, 4:59 am

Long Way North

Picturesque animation but a rather thin story 6/10

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » November 13th, 2018, 2:16 am

OK. So I finished this category. Well mainly because I recommended or backed 5/6 of the films, but I'm done.

In order:
My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea 9/10 I love the humour in this film. The animation was a bit weird; I had never seen something like it. The story is interesting and feels complete.
Birdboy 9/10 A very interesting and different type of animated film. I really liked how it reflected our reality and the darkness of the film. My only criticism is that it felt a bit incomplete.
My Life as a Zucchini 8/10 Very interesting animation and character creation. The story is a bit simple yet effective. It feels totally incomplete though. Could have been much better with a stronger story and more time.
Night is Short, Walk On Girl 7/10 Very fun and weird. The animation is standard Asian animation, thus nothing special. The story is wonkers (in a good way). FUN
Ethel & Ernest 6/10 Very charming film. Well made & drawn. Very British. Traditional animation.
Long Way North 6/10 Good film. Good story. Nothing special, but well made.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » Yesterday, 6:29 am

The Night is Short, Walk on Girl (2017, Masaaki Yuasa)
Intoxicated & intoxicating, ‘The Night is Short, Walk on Girl’ reminds about the finiteness of an already impermanent life, and hence invites reintensification and movement across the multiplicity of existing connections. Fun, love, the overcoming of emptiness, and the expression of feelings, all prolific in every one of Yuasa’s energetically flowing frames, so evocative of a subjective stream of consciousness, febrilility, eccentric tilts, mysteriousness, potentials, and intensities. It’s thinner and lighter than ‘Mind Game’ — one of my very favourite films of all time — but still fairly resonant.

Two screenshot posts on the undergrad's mind:
http://k-goth-explorations.tumblr.com/p ... short-walk
http://k-goth-explorations.tumblr.com/p ... short-walk

7/10

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr, blog
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d