Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: L'innocente

The 2nd Annual iCMFF: LGBT

outdoorcats

The 2nd Annual iCMFF: LGBT

Post by outdoorcats » November 1st, 2018, 6:47 am

Welcome to the 2018 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

Festival Dates: Nov. 1-30

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award.
(Ratings are due by the end of the month to be counted)

This is the thread where all users can rate and discuss the films in this year's LGBT section:

Being 17 dir. André Téchiné. 2016, 116 min. :imdb: :ICM:
Angst and raging hormones are abound in the latest LGBT highlight from Téchiné, director of such classics as Wild Reeds and The Witnesses. Amidst the gorgeous scenery of the Pyrenees, a bratty's doctor's son and the adopted son of remote sheep farmers clash at school with frequent fistfights until their relationship evolves into something different.

A Fantastic Woman dir. Sebastián Lelio. 2017, 104 min. :imdb: :ICM:
Lelio (director of previous festival film Gloria) directs with painful humanity this story of a transgender woman mourning the loss of her partner while coming under attack from his bigoted family. Oscar Winner for Foreign Language Film.

God's Own Country dir. Francis Lee. 2017, 104 min. :imdb: :ICM:
In Yorkshire, young, gay and depressed farmer Johnny lives in an infuriated haze of booze and aggressive casual encounters--until his parents take in a Romanian migrant worker for lambing season. Upon release, this much buzzed-about film was hailed as a new classic and compared to Brokeback Mountain.

Princess Cyd dir. Stephen Cone. 2017, 96 min. :imdb: :ICM:
In this laid-back indie dramedy, 16-year-old Cyd goes to stay with her estranged novelist aunt in Chicago for the summer, getting to know her for the first time while pursuing a relationship with a tomboyish barista.

Summertime dir. Catherine Corsini. 2015, 105 min. :imdb: :ICM:
A farm girl and a radical feminist meet in early '70s Paris and begin a relationship against a charged political background, yet if their relationship is to continue one of them must make a heartbreaking choice in this deeply heartfelt film.

The Wound dir. John Trengove. 2017, 88 min. :imdb: :ICM:
Two male mentors of a Xhosa rite of passage in rural South Africa wrestle with a forbidden secret even as a young initiate drives them apart into an increasingly fractured, violent, and unpredictable love triangle in this unforgiving drama. This film was controversial enough that it led to death threats against the filmmakers and movie theater staff, as well as many prominent South African figures calling for it to be banned.
Last edited by outdoorcats on November 29th, 2018, 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 1st, 2018, 7:40 am

Spectacular choice of screenshots once again! Nice to be a jury member for this section.
That's all, folks!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 1st, 2018, 6:09 pm

The iCM-buttons link to this topic instead of to the moviepages.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 1st, 2018, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I'll work on that shortly. edit - Should be fixed now.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 7th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Am I the first vote here?

Una mujer fantástica 7/10
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 7th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Princess Cyd: 8/10

A teenage woman visits her aunt in Chicago. The two bond and challenge each other while she meets another young woman she begins to fall for. The film is quite lovely - the characterization of Cyd (the central young woman) is fantastic - she seems like a real person with depth that's hard to achieve in a ~90m feature. She's young and says stupid things, but she's curious and open and sweet. The aunt both challenges her and is challenged by her, and she grows as a person as well. This touches on a lot of issues, but consistently seems grounded in reality. Lovely film.

God's Own Country: 8/10

This is a story about a young man in rural UK learning to become not an asshole. He meets a farmhand who starts working on the family farm, and slowly this farmhand works his way into the young man's heart and mind. Ultimately, it's a story of growth and becoming a better person.

@joachimt: apparently you are. i'm just guessing a few of us haven't gotten to posting in this thread yet.

lynchs

Post by lynchs » November 14th, 2018, 1:57 pm

only one and that's cause was on TV

Quand on a 17 ans (2016) 5/10

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 21st, 2018, 6:04 am

So boys, who's up for a becoming a man the Xhosa way?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 21st, 2018, 8:05 am

xianjiro wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 6:04 am
So boys, who's up for a becoming a man the Xhosa way?
I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm willing to bet a fair amount of money that my answer is NO!!!! :circle:

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 21st, 2018, 9:12 am

Those scenes looked so painful. :(

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 21st, 2018, 10:03 am

Two things never to say to a Xhosa barber: "I'd like a little off the top." and "Chop it all off."

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » November 21st, 2018, 5:38 pm

Finished the LGBT section (Very underwhelmed to be honest)

In order:
A Fantastic Woman 10/10 (This was the best movie of the year for me from last year)
Summertime 7/10
The Wound 7/10
Princess Cyd 6/10
Being 17 5/10
God's Own Country 4/10 (Run of the mill gay movie in a different location)

ralch

Post by ralch » November 21st, 2018, 7:38 pm

Being 17 -- 7/10
A Fantastic Woman -- 5/10

Muellwind

Post by Muellwind » November 26th, 2018, 6:08 pm

A Fantastic Woman 7/10

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 27th, 2018, 2:41 am

Being 17 - 7.5
God's Own Country - 8
The Wound - 7.5

I won't be in time for the Audience Award but I'll certainly get to all these eventually.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 27th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Jury member here.

'Princess Cyd' / 2017, Stephen Cone
My rating: 8/10
The revelation of the section. The brilliant, bouncing, unabashed exuberance of summer. I loved the performances and the charming naturalness that both girls exuded as they got to know one another as she stayed with her literary-minded aunt. Eye-catchingly lensed as well and a joyous film of growth, appreciation, connection and possibilities. The ending was a touch saccharine but what had gone before filled me with a good feeling and left me smiling.

'Summertime' / 2015, Catherine Corsini
My rating: 8/10
An evocation of the countryside and Paris that drew me into the lives and outlooks of the two young woman. Lyrical and poignant and with an astute handle on the circles and surroundings. I liked it rather more than I had expected to.

'A Fantastic Woman' / 2017, Sebastián Lelio
My rating: 7.5/10
A very strong central performance from Daniela Vega. The rawness of interactions really hit home. Highlights include the beautifully lensed dancing scene in the nightclub. One really gets a sense of the love that was curtailed. The litany of obstacles, injustices and discrimination that she faces, encounters and is subjected to do give the film the feel of a protest film railing against such institutional unfairnesses. The energy and verve of the central performance carries it. An important film with moments of great beauty and harshness but it is also a message film and that impinges somewhat on it as a whole.

'The Wound' / 2017, John Trengove
Xhosa rites of passage through circumcision and recovery. Wasn't too sure what to make of this and it did make me flinch and squirm on several occasions. The various threads are, however, very intriguing and involving. The once-a-year meet-up in the background between helpers and the rich, entitled boy undergoing this ritual alongside less well-off youths draws one in while also keeping one on one's toes. A compelling and thought-provoking film that has remained with me in the weeks since I saw it.

'God's Own Country' / 2017, Francis Lee
Pretty raw stuff. It did hold me in its agricultural grasp and moments of tenderness struck home. Ian Hart as the lad's unwell father brings quiet power and grounds the film's yearnings and flights in the unforgiving countryside setting.

'Being 17' / 2016, André Téchiné
My rating: 7/10
Great use of Pyrenees settings but progressions and developments seemed a tad flawed and formulaic. A bit of a disappointment considering how much I have admired Téchiné's work.

I very much enjoyed this selection. My preference for the section award would be 'Princess Cyd', followed by 'Summertime'. I could conceivably back 'A Fantastic Woman' and 'The Wound' as well.
That's all, folks!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 28th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Una mujer fantástica (A Fantastic Woman) (2017): 7.8 - I loved how this showed all the various, smaller and bigger subtle and unsubtle meant and unmeant indignities and prejudices a transgender person faces

Already had seen God's Own Country (2017): 7.8

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 28th, 2018, 1:51 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 10:16 pm
...An important film with moments of great beauty and harshness but it is also a message film and that impinges somewhat on it as a whole.
I agree with this. Marina remains pretty 'distant', despite the best efforts of Vega, which is a problem considering she barely leaves the screen (suggesting it should be a character study). It's too obsessively focussed on the "TRANS EXPERIENCE" rather than letting it bubble to the surface more subtly. From what I've read, the trans community is getting fed up of these films. Some beautiful moments though, as you said, and it's probably true that society still 'needs' this message for the time being.

While I'm on this thread, did other people notice how incredibly similar God's Own Country is to Brokeback Mountain? At least in the first half, the set-up is almost exactly the same! I suspect the director would call it an "homage", but it cut too close IMO. Overall it is effective and authentic enough to be a very good film, but I was surprised by this. I partly wondered why Gheorghe would fall for mopey, unlikable Johnny, but I found myself caring for the latter in the end myself so eventually it clicked. Really great performance from Josh O'Connor, communicating the frustration and self-loathing of a tormented soul.

Edit: Just noticed that even outdoorcats' summary here mentions the similarities to Brokeback. Okay, so I will rephrase as 'did others feel bothered by how incredibly similar' they are.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 28th, 2018, 2:26 pm

I partly wondered why Gheorghe would fall for mopey, unlikable Johnny
Because he's hot? :lol: You're right though, it was a weird dynamic, but I think it comes down to a bit of opposites attract. Johnny also seems like someone who is the way he is because he's been completely deprived of love (any kind - parental, romantic, no close friends) his entire life and it has just completely poisoned him. Maybe on some level Gheorghe sensed that.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 28th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Audience
Una mujer fantástica (2017) 7/10

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 28th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Nicely said as regards Lelio's film, flaiky. Yes, I totally agree. The catalogue of cold-shoulderings, humiliations and questionings made me think at times that elements involved in the production wanted to cram as many potential hurdles that might face a trans person into the running time as possible.

I did love a lot about the film though so I don't want to unfairly bash it, haha.

As to your second point, I haven't seen 'Brokeback Mountain' yet!
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on November 28th, 2018, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 28th, 2018, 2:56 pm

:o

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 28th, 2018, 4:07 pm

flaiky wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 1:51 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 10:16 pm
...An important film with moments of great beauty and harshness but it is also a message film and that impinges somewhat on it as a whole.
I agree with this. Marina remains pretty 'distant', despite the best efforts of Vega, which is a problem considering she barely leaves the screen (suggesting it should be a character study). It's too obsessively focussed on the "TRANS EXPERIENCE" rather than letting it bubble to the surface more subtly. From what I've read, the trans community is getting fed up of these films. Some beautiful moments though, as you said, and it's probably true that society still 'needs' this message for the time being.

While I'm on this thread, did other people notice how incredibly similar God's Own Country is to Brokeback Mountain? At least in the first half, the set-up is almost exactly the same! I suspect the director would call it an "homage", but it cut too close IMO. Overall it is effective and authentic enough to be a very good film, but I was surprised by this. I partly wondered why Gheorghe would fall for mopey, unlikable Johnny, but I found myself caring for the latter in the end myself so eventually it clicked. Really great performance from Josh O'Connor, communicating the frustration and self-loathing of a tormented soul.

Edit: Just noticed that even outdoorcats' summary here mentions the similarities to Brokeback. Okay, so I will rephrase as 'did others feel bothered by how incredibly similar' they are.
I can see the similarities yes. But Brokeback spents way more time also on the individual lives of Ledger and Gyllenhaal with their heterosexual relationships. Covering many more years. Which is a big difference to me.

Straka

Post by Straka » November 29th, 2018, 9:19 am

A Fantastic Woman 8/10

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » November 29th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Would sacmersault and other section jurors care to select which film or films they would favour for this section's award?

My fave is 'Princess Cyd'.

EDIT...

Oh, sorry. I see sacmersault's ratings earlier in the thread now. I wonder whether there are any other jurors for this section who might wish to chime in.
That's all, folks!

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » November 30th, 2018, 9:00 pm

My pick is A Fantastic Woman. I think the other ones are way below the level of that one, though if I had to choose a back up it would be The Wound

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 30th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Ratings

God's Own Country - 8
Summertime - 7
A Fantastic Woman - 7
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 1st, 2018, 1:03 am

sacmersault wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 9:00 pm
My pick is A Fantastic Woman. I think the other ones are way below the level of that one, though if I had to choose a back up it would be The Wound
Yeah, I can go with Lelio's film. Let's lock it in.
That's all, folks!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 1st, 2018, 6:55 am

I have completed this slate. Here are my top three in order of preference:

Una Mujer Fantástica
God's Own Country
Quand on a 17 ans

sol can find me here

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 1st, 2018, 8:06 am

Then all three of you agree on A Fantastic Woman, that makes it easy. :cheers:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 1st, 2018, 8:19 am

Woohoo!

sol can find me here