Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Mar 29th), Doubling the Canon (Mar 27th), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th)
Challenges: Crime, Directed by Women, Indian Subcontinent
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Films streaming on MUBI

Gershwin
Donator

Films streaming on MUBI

Post by Gershwin » April 15th, 2018, 9:00 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only one who regularly uses MUBI for streaming films. I really like how they delve into the obscure, because sometimes they put real gems in the spotlight. But it's a bit hit-and miss for me, sometimes they don't resonate with me at all.

So I thought it might be appropriate to have a separate topic to discuss the films streaming at MUBI, for sharing recommendations and warning each other for the duds.

MUBI is streaming different films in different countries, and all films are streaming for only 30 days.
So please also tell in which country you saw a film, and how many days are left to watch it.

--

I'll start with a warm recommendation: I just watched the Belgian documentary Battles (iCM link. An instant favourite, and just my cup of tea: a documentary in the slow cinema vein, with not much spoken word, very observing and somewhat distant, where you often feel the director just being silently amused about everything that's happening. I think the MUBI synopsis is quite accurate:
MUBI on wrote:Synopsis
The echoes of war also reverberate in peacetime. Battles takes a patient look, sensitive to tragedy and comedy, at the traces of battle in the landscape: A bunker in Albania, exploded ammo in Belgium, Russian women sew inflatable war material, and a Latvian military camp tourist attraction.
Especially the Russian segment is very insightful and amusing at the same time. The Belgian segment, which starts the film, is slow cinema at its best. The Albanian part somewhat reminded me of Le quattro volte.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 16th, 2018, 11:14 am

I never looked too much into Mubi, I always thought it was another streaming site where you can make list. I just checked out the films streaming this month and their selection looks great, with most of the film/directors I've never heard of. I'm tempted to get the free trial now.

Would you mind sharing your overall experience with Mubi Gershwin (or anyone else that uses it) ?

Oh and I added Battles to my watchlist, you had me at '' reminded me of Le quattro volte''

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 16th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Well, I think their selection is quite good, but I'd prefer it if they would have some more classics/films that are on official top lists. That's about 30% or something like that, with 70% obscure films, and I'd rather have it the other way round. Then again the greatest films I've discovered there were unofficial films with less than 20 checks, so the official status isn't as predictive as you'd expect.

I think it all depends on your taste. You shouldn't go for MUBI because you want to finish TSPDT, for instance, because they don't offer that much classic films (I guess they're too expensive as well). But if you're more into slow cinema, obscure arthouse and world cinema, it's really nice to have MUBI. It does offer a nice addition to legal streaming, with Netflix being extremely mainstream. And for instance they had a Pialat retrospective last year which was really awesome: I binged on 7 Pialat films in a 4 week period.

So yeah, maybe you should try the free month at least. :)

Oh, and the streaming quality is fine with me, but I don't have any really big screens - my biggest screen is 26 inch. So I don't know whether it would still look fine at a 42 inch screen.
Subtitles are always decent, and they offer English subtitles for almost every film. Sometimes they also have Dutch subs. I can imagine the French MUBI having many French subs as well, but they don't offer these in Holland.
RokP 250

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » April 16th, 2018, 3:59 pm

I think I would use it mostly to discover films I would have never heard of otherwise. 30% of official films is fine with me, because films in official lists are already more or less on my radar. The films in TSPDT for example are quite easy to find online, or to catch in theaters or TV so I wouldn't get a subscription just for those. But Mubi seems to offer films that wouldn't be easy to find elsewhere.

I rarely use something else than my computer screen to watch films, so I think the quality will be just fine. I don't really need subs if the film's in english, but it seems they have french subs for all the films anyway.

Thanks!

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » April 16th, 2018, 5:06 pm

I was an early user of MUBI (user #1301) and it used to be more of a social site to interact. Now it's basically impossible to talk with film users there.

But I got a year subscription (about 11 months ago), and sometimes they stream official checks that are hard to come by. They also stream public domain films, along with a ton of films I've already seen. But some of their choices are obscure enough that I won't have seen it. The choices range from really good to WTF.

Anyway, I have a few to watch before they expire. It'd definitely be worth trying for the trial period to see if you like it.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » April 16th, 2018, 6:26 pm

I used Mubi a lot 6-8 years ago when their whole catalogue (thousands of films) was in open access for a small fee. When Netflix arrived in Europe, Mubi changed their model with an access to only 30 rotating films and I unsuscribed as the selection looked too mainstream too often.
I gave it another chance last year ; their picks look more balanced but it is still very hit and miss. Half of the time it will be something I have already seen or really mediocre. I like the feature that allows you to download the film on your mobile or laptop, makes it easy to watch while traveling. Also if you shift country, you will have access to a different selection so you can see that as a plus if you travel a lot. As long as it costs ~4 euros a months I'll stay in I guess.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

toromash

Post by toromash » April 17th, 2018, 12:56 am

The UK version of MUBI has: "As I was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty" by Mekas. It is there for 16 more days, and i will (of course) watch it throughout this week

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 17th, 2018, 10:20 am

toromash on Apr 16 2018, 06:56:42 PM wrote:The UK version of MUBI has: "As I was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty" by Mekas. It is there for 16 more days, and i will (of course) watch it throughout this week
I wish it were on the Dutch version as well. We have Lost, Lost, Lost streaming, but I've already seen that one. Great film though, so maybe I'll rewatch it.
RokP 250

toromash

Post by toromash » April 17th, 2018, 12:47 pm

You can use VPN like me, but that is a choice. The selection in Denmark is filled with too many newer movies, so that why i use it.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 17th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I've done the odd free month and check up what's on the menu from time to time. They do well on exploring and picking out stuff I've never heard of. But while I guess the 30 per month format is quite a good way to encourage exploration, that also partly puts me off subscribing because I have a huge, endless watchlist anyway and some months there wouldn't be much on here that I'm interested in and haven't seen already - I tend to get the impression (maybe mistaken?) that their tastes lean towards lesser-known current directors in the slow/contemplative style (Bela Tarr, Apichatpong types), which is not particularly my cup of tea.

I was just about to bemoan the lack of an equivalent to Filmstruck in UK, but then googled it and found they've recently launched it here. Although so far it seems a fairly limited catalogue with nowhere near as much of the Criterion collection as the US version. Someone's handily put a list up on letterboxd:
https://letterboxd.com/michaelhutchins/ ... struck-uk/

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 18th, 2018, 5:56 am

Just signed up. Not sure which country's list I see (I'm in Malaysia), but Battles is in the list. Looks like mostly obscure stuff I've never heard before, with a few exceptions. Of the 30 films there, Théo & Hugo is the only one I would have watched otherwise. I suppose as long as I watch 1 or 2 films from Mubi each month, it's worth the price.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 18th, 2018, 10:48 am

I use Mubi pretty often, mostly to watch movies on it that already were on my radar, are from favorite directors or on lists I'm working on. I don't honestly use it very much to discover completely unknown obscure movies, simply because my backlog is already full enough. Using a VPN, which I somehow didn't think of myself before, opens up a lot of new possibilities. Does anyone know their policy about using one and how strict they are in enforcing those rules and controlling the use of it.

At the moment I'm most excited about all the Sirk movies coming up, which I haven't all seen yet.
I recently watched Canyon Passage which I thought to be a very decent to good Western.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 18th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Yesterday I finished Timbuktu (2014) (still 5 days left, on Dutch MUBI).
A very impressive film with beautiful cinematography. It's sometimes hard to bear, so at a certain point I was hoping it would end soon, but a great film overall. That's one of those instances where I'm glad I didn't download it, but just waited till I got a chance to watch it legally.

re: using a VPN: I don't use that exactly because I try to legalize my watching habits, and, even more so, make sure the people who deserve it get some money. I don't think using a VPN is very helpful. Then I might as well download the films. :)
RokP 250

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka » April 18th, 2018, 1:48 pm

I canceled my subscription a few months ago because the PS4 app just kept loading around every minute on all movies, which was annoying. Might get on board again in the future if they fix that, because they stream some good stuff now and then.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm

There is a zero-check film on MUBI (US) at the moment: Walk the Walk (1970)
“The rarest film yet restored by the byNWR team, Walk the Walk was found abandoned in a closed lab and has been restored from its only surviving print materials, with hundreds of hours of digital work spent on repairing damage to its color from poor storage conditions.” —NWR

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » October 12th, 2019, 10:06 am

Beanpole is on UK Mubi at the minute and they got Zombi Child next week. Good for those of us who can't get to film festivals :)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » November 6th, 2019, 5:07 pm

I don't know how I missed this, but perhaps it's because it's only available on mobile and not web, and I rarely use my phone to watch movies unless the connection is bad (for some reason, I can stream better through data on my phone than through my regular wifi on my laptop).

Two new channels now show up for me in Malaysia on my account: 1 for South Asia and 1 for Southeast Asia. The choices look interesting so far, a mix of recent films and classic films, but sadly a number of them don't have subtitles. Still, I think it's an interesting move on Mubi's part, considering how big Malaysians are on films. Plus, the cost for just those two channels (seemingly without the main one) is soooo cheap (15RM/month is less than $4USD or 4EUR). They mention in the articles that they are thinking of adding two more channels in Malaysia alone (Chinese and Tamil/Telugu), so if this is successful maybe they'll start adding channels in other regions as well.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/asia/m ... 203250943/
http://www.cinema.com.my/articles/news_ ... n-Malaysia

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 14th, 2020, 10:03 am

Mubi is now doing a retrospective on Yûzô Kawashima over the next two months, including some seemingly very rare films.

The films and dates of showing probably vary based on your country, but there are five for me:
Suzaki Paradise: Red Light District (1956) (3 lists, 124 checks)
The Balloon (1956) (1 list, 8 checks)
Burden of Love (1955) (0 lists, 4 checks)
Our Town (1958) (0 lists, 0 checks)
Hungry Soul (1956) (0 lists, 0 checks)

It seems most/all of these films were recently restored, and the stills do look nice so far. I saw Suzaki five years ago; it was one of the first films I saw specifically because of the forum (someone shared it for some reason), and it was one of the first Japanese films I'd seen (aside from Ghibli and a few Kurosawas). It's still on my ballot every year for the <400 list. Not sure if I'll rewatch it on Mubi, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the other ones.

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » January 14th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Thanks Fergenaprido. Only two seem to be coming in my territory but great to see restorations flowing in of obscure stuff.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » January 14th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Yeah uk only seems to list Suzaki paradise, Bakumatsu taiyoden (the two I've seen) + Our Town. Hopefully they'll add the others

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 14th, 2020, 8:32 pm

MUBI works swell with VPN.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

beavis

Post by beavis » January 14th, 2020, 8:51 pm

About time this director gets a bit of spotlight!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 16th, 2020, 3:02 pm

I checked the Mubi app tonight and they've added a fourth channel called 'Boo'. It's mostly horrors and thrillers, primarily from Southeast Asia but with a fair bit from the rest of the world as well, though nothing mainstream/widespread (the two most notable films to me are Jeepers Creepers 3 and Goodnight Mommy). Not sure if it's rolled out in any other country, but for horror fans with mubi subscriptions and a VPN, this may be a treasure trove of undiscovered indie B-horrors :D

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 16th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Carlos is currently on Mubi Canada, but that copy is only 166 min long instead of 334 min. Should I watch this short version or better watch the whole thing?
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 17th, 2020, 4:25 am

joachimt wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:21 pm
Carlos is currently on Mubi Canada, but that copy is only 166 min long instead of 334 min. Should I watch this short version or better watch the whole thing?
That's the movie version. I don't know how it compares to the mini-series version, but I have access to that which I can share if you prefer to see the longer one.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 17th, 2020, 5:46 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 4:25 am
joachimt wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:21 pm
That's the movie version. I don't know how it compares to the mini-series version, but I have access to that which I can share if you prefer to see the longer one.
I wasn't planning on watching it now really. I'm just selecting the interesting stuff on Mubi, but if they only show a short version, I think I'll skip it. I'll probably watch the miniseries one day.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 17th, 2020, 12:08 pm

I know I saw that Etre et Avoir was showing on Mubi in a certain country, but I can't find it anymore. I had UK in my notes, but it's not there. Is there a quick way to find out where it is available?
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 17th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Never mind. I see it has been added a few days ago to Mubi France.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 9th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Anyone interested in a free month trial on MUBI?
https://mubi.com/t/web/global/EU7nZXXh
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 16th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Don't know where all it's available, but THROAT SINGING IN KANGIRSUK is a very worthwhile 3.5 minutes on MUBI.

https://mubi.com/films/throat-singing-in-kangirsuk

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 17th, 2020, 2:59 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 11:07 pm
Don't know where all it's available, but THROAT SINGING IN KANGIRSUK is a very worthwhile 3.5 minutes on MUBI.

https://mubi.com/films/throat-singing-in-kangirsuk
Not available in my region, sadly. Looks interesting. Maybe it'll show up later, as I've noticed when travelling that often films are available in different regions at different times.