Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Films streaming on MUBI

User avatar
prodigalgodson
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 30, 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Films streaming on MUBI

#81

Post by prodigalgodson » May 27th, 2020, 1:39 am

Heh thanks for being a good sport.

User avatar
prodigalgodson
Posts: 253
Joined: Jul 30, 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

#82

Post by prodigalgodson » May 27th, 2020, 1:39 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 10:56 pm
I was super hyped when I saw the library announcement because I thought they'd bring all the Straub films back. I don't know any other way to watch them in hi def with english subs. But they aren't putting the Straub Huillet titles in the library. Currently only Antigone is playing because they missed it the first time round. Just seems weird that the films have been digitised but the rights owner isn't offering any way for people to watch them.
Ah hope it's just a matter of time.

User avatar
Cocoa
Donator
Posts: 1798
Joined: Jul 17, 2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Contact:

#83

Post by Cocoa » May 27th, 2020, 3:45 am

Ugh, MUBI's library does not list all the films they have in their library in one spot (for the USA's version at least) -_- I hate when websites do that. So many films on the trending section do not appear in the other sections -_- I only realize this because there are a bunch of Italian horror films on the trending section. idk if I'll keep using the site when the free trial is over. I've avoided the site for years when it only had 30 films a month on it. I already found 75 films I want to watch that's on the site, so I guess it'll depend on how much I'll watch and if they add more things to it.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4023
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#84

Post by Fergenaprido » May 27th, 2020, 6:19 am

I think it may just be a matter of time, Cocoa. I've already noticed some interface changes since the new library was announced, so they could be working on it behind the scenes. You can ask/suggest it to their support team. I've contacted them in the past about various things (usually subtitles) and they've been rather responsive.

User avatar
Chilton
Posts: 529
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
Contact:

#85

Post by Chilton » June 15th, 2020, 5:34 pm

This website is tracing the films on MUBI in 90 countries, both the regular service and Library. Looks to be pretty decent and correct so far.

User avatar
erde
Posts: 317
Joined: Jan 02, 2019
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

#86

Post by erde » June 15th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Chilton wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:34 pm
This website is tracing the films on MUBI in 90 countries, both the regular service and Library. Looks to be pretty decent and correct so far.
Impressive! Thank you, Chilton!
Image Image

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1800
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#87

Post by hurluberlu » June 15th, 2020, 6:44 pm

erde wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Chilton wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:34 pm
This website is tracing the films on MUBI in 90 countries, both the regular service and Library. Looks to be pretty decent and correct so far.
Impressive! Thank you, Chilton!
Yeah, really neat ! If you go straight to the library page, you can select films by country showing, country of origin, director and a lot more...
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#88

Post by Melvelet » June 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 6:44 pm
erde wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Chilton wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:34 pm
This website is tracing the films on MUBI in 90 countries, both the regular service and Library. Looks to be pretty decent and correct so far.
Impressive! Thank you, Chilton!
Yeah, really neat ! If you go straight to the library page, you can select films by country showing, country of origin, director and a lot more...
Wow, thanks a lot! :worship:
I wonder how they gather this information, I don't even seem to find out how to get a full list of all library movies in counrty x and I don't see how long a movie is staying in the library either :shrug:

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13535
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#89

Post by brokenface » June 15th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Nice, very useful, puts the website to shame. Just from a quick comparison, UK has fewer titles in library than every other country. Kinda sucks.

Weird about the 'how long' info. Unlimited might just mean they don't actually have info, but some titles have specific and unlikely durations like 26 years. Admire their long term confidence if they really are buying the digital rights for that length of time!

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#90

Post by d3ver » June 15th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Hey everyone, I'm the developer behind What's On MUBI which Chilton shared (thanks for sharing!). I first announced the site on reddit yesterday.
Melvelet wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm
I wonder how they gather this information, I don't even seem to find out how to get a full list of all library movies in counrty x and I don't see how long a movie is staying in the library either
I'm scraping the library page for information: basically as if a user were to scroll all the way down and scroll right into the lists as well.. I do the same thing for every country, automatically of course. Doing it this way because they don't have a public API.
brokenface wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:46 pm
Weird about the 'how long' info. Unlimited might just mean they don't actually have info, but some titles have specific and unlikely durations like 26 years. Admire their long term confidence if they really are buying the digital rights for that length of time!
That info comes straight from MUBI, even if they're not showing it publicly.. Unlimited means they haven't set any specific expiry date on the film, so I just assumed there wasn't an expiry date and called it "Unlimited", I hope my assumption doesn't turn out to be wrong haha. And for the ones that have things like "26 years", that's the expiry date they've set on the films.

Please let me know if you've got any feedback on how to improve the site. Cheers!

PS: I have no affiliation with MUBI, this was a personal project born out of necessity. They have a great curation of films, but sadly their UI isn't that great at this point in time.

Edit: also please note, not all countries have been scraped for the library content just yet, needs a small improvement before I can launch the scraper again, more content should be pulled tomorrow.

allisoncm
Posts: 16565
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#91

Post by allisoncm » June 16th, 2020, 2:58 am

I scrolled through the What's On MUBI site today. Seemed pretty helpful. Thanks.

Obgeoff
Posts: 399
Joined: May 29, 2019
Contact:

#92

Post by Obgeoff » June 16th, 2020, 8:00 am

Thanks d3ver, if you add scrapping the library for Ireland, you will make me very happy.
Image

User avatar
shugs
Donator
Posts: 533
Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Contact:

#93

Post by shugs » June 16th, 2020, 8:06 am

I'm not subscribed to Mubi anymore, but I would have loved to have your site around when I was using it. Great job, d3ver! :cheers:

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#94

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 8:07 am

Obgeoff wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 8:00 am
Thanks d3ver, if you add scrapping the library for Ireland, you will make me very happy.
Should be coming tonight or tomorrow along with the library content from the rest of the 90+ countries. Cheers.

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#95

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 8:09 am

shugs wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 8:06 am
I'm not subscribed to Mubi anymore, but I would have loved to have your site around when I was using it. Great job, d3ver! :cheers:
Thanks!
You can use either of these two links for a 3 month free trial if you want:
https://mubi.com/weareparable
https://mubi.com/sphinx

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#96

Post by Melvelet » June 16th, 2020, 9:47 am

d3ver wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 11:16 pm
Hey everyone, I'm the developer behind What's On MUBI which Chilton shared (thanks for sharing!). I first announced the site on reddit yesterday.
Melvelet wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm
I wonder how they gather this information, I don't even seem to find out how to get a full list of all library movies in counrty x and I don't see how long a movie is staying in the library either
I'm scraping the library page for information: basically as if a user were to scroll all the way down and scroll right into the lists as well.. I do the same thing for every country, automatically of course. Doing it this way because they don't have a public API.
brokenface wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:46 pm
Weird about the 'how long' info. Unlimited might just mean they don't actually have info, but some titles have specific and unlikely durations like 26 years. Admire their long term confidence if they really are buying the digital rights for that length of time!
That info comes straight from MUBI, even if they're not showing it publicly.. Unlimited means they haven't set any specific expiry date on the film, so I just assumed there wasn't an expiry date and called it "Unlimited", I hope my assumption doesn't turn out to be wrong haha. And for the ones that have things like "26 years", that's the expiry date they've set on the films.

Please let me know if you've got any feedback on how to improve the site. Cheers!

PS: I have no affiliation with MUBI, this was a personal project born out of necessity. They have a great curation of films, but sadly their UI isn't that great at this point in time.

Edit: also please note, not all countries have been scraped for the library content just yet, needs a small improvement before I can launch the scraper again, more content should be pulled tomorrow.
Thanks for the explanation and welcome aboard, d3ver! I bought you a coffee

Are you planning to add user account features where you can mark movies as watched?

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4023
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#97

Post by Fergenaprido » June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am

Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.

I also like how it lists how many countries show each film. Now I know why no one else was checking off the Edmund Yeo films lately, they're only available in 8 SEA countries.

Also, "Showing In" doesn't seem to list all the countries for some reason. I've bookmarked the site, though, and will probably use it more after I move.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31741
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#98

Post by joachimt » June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am

Oh wow! This is amazing! Thanks so much!

What does the sorting option "Date found" mean? Can I use that to figure out which movies have been added lately? I like to check once a week or so which movies where added to the service to make a list of what to watch. What's the best way to do that? I normally do that manually by going through all countries on my VPN one by one......
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13535
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#99

Post by brokenface » June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm

d3ver wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 11:16 pm
brokenface wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:46 pm
Weird about the 'how long' info. Unlimited might just mean they don't actually have info, but some titles have specific and unlikely durations like 26 years. Admire their long term confidence if they really are buying the digital rights for that length of time!
That info comes straight from MUBI, even if they're not showing it publicly.. Unlimited means they haven't set any specific expiry date on the film, so I just assumed there wasn't an expiry date and called it "Unlimited", I hope my assumption doesn't turn out to be wrong haha. And for the ones that have things like "26 years", that's the expiry date they've set on the films.

Please let me know if you've got any feedback on how to improve the site. Cheers!

PS: I have no affiliation with MUBI, this was a personal project born out of necessity. They have a great curation of films, but sadly their UI isn't that great at this point in time.

Edit: also please note, not all countries have been scraped for the library content just yet, needs a small improvement before I can launch the scraper again, more content should be pulled tomorrow.
Thanks for explanation (and for developing this very useful site!). i would maybe say those are Unknown rather than Unlimited as I'd be a bit surprised if anything had unlimited rights but maybe they are long enough that they might as well be considered unlimited (10 years or something).

Just having another look through, I've noticed there is some inaccuracies being picked up in the Now Showing for UK. When you filter to that, there's 53 films and some of them aren't available on the UK site. I think this should just be picking up 30/31 films

One thing that would be really cool, but I don't know if possible, would be if you could get the info on upcoming films. Some data is definitely on the site on this, e.g. if there's a category like currently there's 'Ida Lupino Double Bill', one of the films is available currently and you can click the label and it'll tell you the other film is coming in 6 days. Are you able to get at that info?

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31741
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#100

Post by joachimt » June 16th, 2020, 2:52 pm

After clicking a bit, the thing I'm missing the most so far is to be able to filter on movies I've seen and movies I've watchlisted. But asking for that is probably a bit too much, because it involves creating the option to have an account.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#101

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Melvelet wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:47 am
Thanks for the explanation and welcome aboard, d3ver! I bought you a coffee

Are you planning to add user account features where you can mark movies as watched?
Lovely! Thank you for your donation, very appreciated, will help keep the site running.

Yes I'm planning to add a watchlist + notifications feature (either when new films are added or films are leaving, this will configurable and up to the user to pick what they're interested in). But I'm not sure when I'm going to get this implemented, as this is not my main project right now..

You can also check the dedicated feedback area on the site and vote on features and/or add your own suggestions there. Thanks!

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#102

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple channels for some countries, somebody told me yesterday there's a different channel for India, but now I know there's more than one country. Do you happen to know which countries have this functionality, and yes I'll definitely look into adding this content ASAP.
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Also, "Showing In" doesn't seem to list all the countries for some reason. I've bookmarked the site, though, and will probably use it more after I move.
The countries that show up in that list are the countries I'm scraping for now, which are around 90-99, depending on proxy availability. Which countries did you find missing? Maybe I'll be able to add them in. If you're talking about the country list while browsing the library collection only, not all countries have been added just yet, that should change tonight or tomorrow..

Thanks for your feedback!

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#103

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 5:09 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
Oh wow! This is amazing! Thanks so much!
Thanks! Glad you like it and find it useful :)
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
What does the sorting option "Date found" mean? Can I use that to figure out which movies have been added lately? I like to check once a week or so which movies where added to the service to make a list of what to watch. What's the best way to do that?
It's not necessarily that. It just means the date that the scraper/my site first found the movie on, which is not necessarily equal to when MUBI has added it to their collection. This would probably be more useful once I have scraped all of MUBI's content, then at that point you could rely on "Date found" as a "freshness" indicator to some extent...

The "Date updated" one is updated each time the movie is found in another country. I'm not sure if this would be especially useful to people, but I added it anyways :D
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
I normally do that manually by going through all countries on my VPN one by one......
That sounds tedious, hopefully you wouldn't have to do that anymore now that the site exists..

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#104

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm

brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
Thanks for explanation (and for developing this very useful site!). i would maybe say those are Unknown rather than Unlimited as I'd be a bit surprised if anything had unlimited rights but maybe they are long enough that they might as well be considered unlimited (10 years or something).

Yeah I guess "Unlimited" would be confusing in this case. Hmm, do you have any suggestion other than the word "Unknown" to replace "Unlimited" ?


brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
Just having another look through, I've noticed there is some inaccuracies being picked up in the Now Showing for UK. When you filter to that, there's 53 films and some of them aren't available on the UK site. I think this should just be picking up 30/31 films

Those are films found in the library that MUBI has for some reason marked as "Now showing", I guess I'll mark everything found in the library as "library" content, regardless of whether MUBI marks it as now showing or not, that would be less confusing for the sake of the site I think..

brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
One thing that would be really cool, but I don't know if possible, would be if you could get the info on upcoming films. Some data is definitely on the site on this, e.g. if there's a category like currently there's 'Ida Lupino Double Bill', one of the films is available currently and you can click the label and it'll tell you the other film is coming in 6 days. Are you able to get at that info?
Hmm yeah that sounds interesting and would be a good fit for the content on the site, can you please link to pages where I can see films like that that are upcoming?

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#105

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 5:27 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 2:52 pm
After clicking a bit, the thing I'm missing the most so far is to be able to filter on movies I've seen and movies I've watchlisted. But asking for that is probably a bit too much, because it involves creating the option to have an account.
I'm definitely planning on adding functionality similar to that, you can see I have it on the dedicated feedback section of the site. Would be great if you could chime in, vote on what interests you most and maybe add some details / new suggestions on what's missing. That way I'll be able to prioritize what has the most demand from people using the site.

I guess it would be optimal to import a user's existing watchlist (on MUBI or maybe Letterboxd too), but I'm not sure if that info is public on MUBI or only visible to the users themselves and letterboxd doesn't have an open API just yet.

Thanks!

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31741
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#106

Post by joachimt » June 16th, 2020, 5:47 pm

d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple channels for some countries, somebody told me yesterday there's a different channel for India, but now I know there's more than one country. Do you happen to know which countries have this functionality, and yes I'll definitely look into adding this content ASAP.
Of all the countries in my VPN, India is the only one with a second channel for Indian movies. Malaysia (where Fergenaprido is) isn't in my VPN. But it seems these are rare exceptions. I already noticed you scraped the India channel. Thanks for that. A lot of interesting stuff on there.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31741
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#107

Post by joachimt » June 16th, 2020, 5:48 pm

d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:09 pm
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
Oh wow! This is amazing! Thanks so much!
Thanks! Glad you like it and find it useful :)
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
What does the sorting option "Date found" mean? Can I use that to figure out which movies have been added lately? I like to check once a week or so which movies where added to the service to make a list of what to watch. What's the best way to do that?
It's not necessarily that. It just means the date that the scraper/my site first found the movie on, which is not necessarily equal to when MUBI has added it to their collection. This would probably be more useful once I have scraped all of MUBI's content, then at that point you could rely on "Date found" as a "freshness" indicator to some extent...

The "Date updated" one is updated each time the movie is found in another country. I'm not sure if this would be especially useful to people, but I added it anyways :D
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
I normally do that manually by going through all countries on my VPN one by one......
That sounds tedious, hopefully you wouldn't have to do that anymore now that the site exists..
After the first hickups I guess Date Updated is the best way for me to look at this. Date Updated is sometimes even more useful than Date Found, because from Updated you know that it is at least available for another 30 days.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#108

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 5:49 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:47 pm
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple channels for some countries, somebody told me yesterday there's a different channel for India, but now I know there's more than one country. Do you happen to know which countries have this functionality, and yes I'll definitely look into adding this content ASAP.
Of all the countries in my VPN, India is the only one with a second channel for Indian movies. Malaysia (where Fergenaprido is) isn't in my VPN. But it seems these are rare exceptions. I already noticed you scraped the India channel. Thanks for that. A lot of interesting stuff on there.

Actually I haven't added code to specifically scrape that yet, maybe that content was found in the library 🤔 ?

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#109

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 5:51 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:48 pm
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:09 pm
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
Oh wow! This is amazing! Thanks so much!
Thanks! Glad you like it and find it useful :)
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
What does the sorting option "Date found" mean? Can I use that to figure out which movies have been added lately? I like to check once a week or so which movies where added to the service to make a list of what to watch. What's the best way to do that?
It's not necessarily that. It just means the date that the scraper/my site first found the movie on, which is not necessarily equal to when MUBI has added it to their collection. This would probably be more useful once I have scraped all of MUBI's content, then at that point you could rely on "Date found" as a "freshness" indicator to some extent...

The "Date updated" one is updated each time the movie is found in another country. I'm not sure if this would be especially useful to people, but I added it anyways :D
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:23 am
I normally do that manually by going through all countries on my VPN one by one......
That sounds tedious, hopefully you wouldn't have to do that anymore now that the site exists..
After the first hickups I guess Date Updated is the best way for me to look at this. Date Updated is sometimes even more useful than Date Found, because from Updated you know that it is at least available for another 30 days.
Most likely but not necessarily, looking at the expiry date or sorting by expiry date would be best in this case.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4023
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#110

Post by Fergenaprido » June 16th, 2020, 6:17 pm

d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple channels for some countries, somebody told me yesterday there's a different channel for India, but now I know there's more than one country. Do you happen to know which countries have this functionality, and yes I'll definitely look into adding this content ASAP.
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Also, "Showing In" doesn't seem to list all the countries for some reason. I've bookmarked the site, though, and will probably use it more after I move.
The countries that show up in that list are the countries I'm scraping for now, which are around 90-99, depending on proxy availability. Which countries did you find missing? Maybe I'll be able to add them in. If you're talking about the country list while browsing the library collection only, not all countries have been added just yet, that should change tonight or tomorrow..

Thanks for your feedback!
No problem. They added the Dekho (South Asian films) and Sinema (Southeast Asian films) channels late last year, and added the Boo (horror films) channel earlier this year. Mubi has a regional office here in Kuala Lumpur and a server in Singapore, and I believe that these three channels are only for the countries in Southeast Asia that they service (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, & Myanmar... and maybe Brunei, Laos, and Timor-Leste as well but I'm not certain they're in those countries yet). Those specialty channels are also full of collections: Action Extravaganza, Southeast Asia Blockbuster, Haunted Fridays, Kimchi's Hour, etc.

And yes, I was talking about the country list while browsing the library only; I figured it was something still being built. Malaysia's not there yet, but I can use Indonesia as I'm sure 90% of it will be the same.
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:47 pm
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple channels for some countries, somebody told me yesterday there's a different channel for India, but now I know there's more than one country. Do you happen to know which countries have this functionality, and yes I'll definitely look into adding this content ASAP.
Of all the countries in my VPN, India is the only one with a second channel for Indian movies. Malaysia (where Fergenaprido is) isn't in my VPN. But it seems these are rare exceptions. I already noticed you scraped the India channel. Thanks for that. A lot of interesting stuff on there.
How do you see the India channel on the whatsonmubi site? Or is it just now more films show up when you filter Now Showing for India (45 instead of 30)?

And thanks d3ver for creating and sharing this cool too. I'll look at your onsite feedback page too.

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#111

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 6:17 pm
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.
I wasn't aware that there were multiple channels for some countries, somebody told me yesterday there's a different channel for India, but now I know there's more than one country. Do you happen to know which countries have this functionality, and yes I'll definitely look into adding this content ASAP.
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Also, "Showing In" doesn't seem to list all the countries for some reason. I've bookmarked the site, though, and will probably use it more after I move.
The countries that show up in that list are the countries I'm scraping for now, which are around 90-99, depending on proxy availability. Which countries did you find missing? Maybe I'll be able to add them in. If you're talking about the country list while browsing the library collection only, not all countries have been added just yet, that should change tonight or tomorrow..

Thanks for your feedback!
No problem. They added the Dekho (South Asian films) and Sinema (Southeast Asian films) channels late last year, and added the Boo (horror films) channel earlier this year. Mubi has a regional office here in Kuala Lumpur and a server in Singapore, and I believe that these three channels are only for the countries in Southeast Asia that they service (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, & Myanmar... and maybe Brunei, Laos, and Timor-Leste as well but I'm not certain they're in those countries yet). Those specialty channels are also full of collections: Action Extravaganza, Southeast Asia Blockbuster, Haunted Fridays, Kimchi's Hour, etc.

And yes, I was talking about the country list while browsing the library only; I figured it was something still being built. Malaysia's not there yet, but I can use Indonesia as I'm sure 90% of it will be the same.
joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:47 pm
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm


I wasn't aware that there were multiple channels for some countries, somebody told me yesterday there's a different channel for India, but now I know there's more than one country. Do you happen to know which countries have this functionality, and yes I'll definitely look into adding this content ASAP.
Of all the countries in my VPN, India is the only one with a second channel for Indian movies. Malaysia (where Fergenaprido is) isn't in my VPN. But it seems these are rare exceptions. I already noticed you scraped the India channel. Thanks for that. A lot of interesting stuff on there.
How do you see the India channel on the whatsonmubi site? Or is it just now more films show up when you filter Now Showing for India (45 instead of 30)?

And thanks d3ver for creating and sharing this cool too. I'll look at your onsite feedback page too.


Here's how it looks when you go to the Now showing page when connected from India, so you just switch between the default (World) and India-specific channe.
Image

And here's how it looks like in Malaysia:
Image

Edit: My bad, you said What's On MUBI, not MUBI. For now I didn't add this feature yet, I'm not sure how I'd go about it to be honest.. Any ideas ?
Maybe when you select a country in the filter that has more than one channel, I'll show another filter from which you can pick a specific channel, I guess that would work alright 🤔

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13535
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#112

Post by brokenface » June 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm

d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm
brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
Just having another look through, I've noticed there is some inaccuracies being picked up in the Now Showing for UK. When you filter to that, there's 53 films and some of them aren't available on the UK site. I think this should just be picking up 30/31 films

Those are films found in the library that MUBI has for some reason marked as "Now showing", I guess I'll mark everything found in the library as "library" content, regardless of whether MUBI marks it as now showing or not, that would be less confusing for the sake of the site I think..
There seemed to be some films listed on the UK now showing that aren't available at all on UK site in either library or now showing, e.g. Life is a Miracle, No Home Movie. Might be available in other countries and somehow mislabelling
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm
brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
One thing that would be really cool, but I don't know if possible, would be if you could get the info on upcoming films. Some data is definitely on the site on this, e.g. if there's a category like currently there's 'Ida Lupino Double Bill', one of the films is available currently and you can click the label and it'll tell you the other film is coming in 6 days. Are you able to get at that info?
Hmm yeah that sounds interesting and would be a good fit for the content on the site, can you please link to pages where I can see films like that that are upcoming?
https://mubi.com/specials/ida-lupino
https://mubi.com/films/the-bigamist

It's usually on those special pages that I've seen it, the 'coming in X days' but it then also shows on the film page. And you can occasionally run into a random one and see it's coming soon:

https://mubi.com/films/la-flor-part-1

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31741
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#113

Post by joachimt » June 16th, 2020, 8:37 pm

I guess I happened to notice a movie from the India channel that is available in some library as well. I noticed Chaudhvin Ka Chand on What's On MUBI and I watched it a few days ago on the Indian channel. I see now it's also in the library in India.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#114

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm

brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm
brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
Just having another look through, I've noticed there is some inaccuracies being picked up in the Now Showing for UK. When you filter to that, there's 53 films and some of them aren't available on the UK site. I think this should just be picking up 30/31 films

Those are films found in the library that MUBI has for some reason marked as "Now showing", I guess I'll mark everything found in the library as "library" content, regardless of whether MUBI marks it as now showing or not, that would be less confusing for the sake of the site I think..
There seemed to be some films listed on the UK now showing that aren't available at all on UK site in either library or now showing, e.g. Life is a Miracle, No Home Movie. Might be available in other countries and somehow mislabelling
Hmm I'm not sure, I'll investigate and see what's happening.. thanks for reporting


brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 5:22 pm
brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
One thing that would be really cool, but I don't know if possible, would be if you could get the info on upcoming films. Some data is definitely on the site on this, e.g. if there's a category like currently there's 'Ida Lupino Double Bill', one of the films is available currently and you can click the label and it'll tell you the other film is coming in 6 days. Are you able to get at that info?
Hmm yeah that sounds interesting and would be a good fit for the content on the site, can you please link to pages where I can see films like that that are upcoming?
https://mubi.com/specials/ida-lupino
https://mubi.com/films/the-bigamist

It's usually on those special pages that I've seen it, the 'coming in X days' but it then also shows on the film page. And you can occasionally run into a random one and see it's coming soon:

https://mubi.com/films/la-flor-part-1
Gotcha, thanks. So I guess I'll start scraping specials as well, they seem to be a good place to find both "hidden" (can't be found in library or now showing) films and upcoming ones. Will try to add this soon.
Are you aware of a page that shows all MUBI specials ?

Thanks

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#115

Post by d3ver » June 16th, 2020, 9:11 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 8:37 pm
I guess I happened to notice a movie from the India channel that is available in some library as well. I noticed Chaudhvin Ka Chand on What's On MUBI and I watched it a few days ago on the Indian channel. I see now it's also in the library in India.
Yeah that could have been the case, I'll try to implement "adding the separate channel content" soon-ish. Will keep you poste in this thread. Thanks.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 4023
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#116

Post by Fergenaprido » June 17th, 2020, 3:40 am

d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Gotcha, thanks. So I guess I'll start scraping specials as well, they seem to be a good place to find both "hidden" (can't be found in library or now showing) films and upcoming ones. Will try to add this soon.
Are you aware of a page that shows all MUBI specials ?

Thanks
As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be a single page collating them all. On the About page it does cycle through a bunch of them. On the Now Showing page for each country, if there are any films in a collection, it will highlight them immediately below the latest Film of the Day. And then on the library page, at the bottom there are a bunch of collections listed, but you have to keep scrolling down to get them to load; I think it includes all collections, from what I can see, but it does take some time (at least for me) for each batch of collections to load as you scroll.

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#117

Post by d3ver » June 17th, 2020, 9:53 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:40 am
d3ver wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Gotcha, thanks. So I guess I'll start scraping specials as well, they seem to be a good place to find both "hidden" (can't be found in library or now showing) films and upcoming ones. Will try to add this soon.
Are you aware of a page that shows all MUBI specials ?

Thanks
As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be a single page collating them all. On the About page it does cycle through a bunch of them. On the Now Showing page for each country, if there are any films in a collection, it will highlight them immediately below the latest Film of the Day. And then on the library page, at the bottom there are a bunch of collections listed, but you have to keep scrolling down to get them to load; I think it includes all collections, from what I can see, but it does take some time (at least for me) for each batch of collections to load as you scroll.
Actually I'm using the library page to get the collections you see in the collections page and getting the films for those collections is what fills the library content on the site. That said, not all collections are present in all countries, access to collections varies by country.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9193
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#118

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 17th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Thanks d3ver for your great useful site!

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#119

Post by d3ver » June 17th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 2:28 pm
Thanks d3ver for your great useful site!
Cheers, glad you find it useful :)

d3ver
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 15, 2020
Contact:

#120

Post by d3ver » June 20th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Very cool indeed. Checked out the Malaysia one and it's accurate, but only lists the main "World" channel. It's missing the "Dekho", "Boo", and "Sinema" channels that most of the Southeast Asian countries have. Not sure if there is an easy way to scrape that info, since it only displays one channel by default on web (which you can change in the settings), but you can see all 4 inapp.
This has been shipped to the live site. Dekho, Boo and Sinema channels are now included from Malaysia as well as the India channel from India. There's a "channel filter" that appears when you select India or Malaysia in the Now showing filter.
Fergenaprido wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
Also, "Showing In" doesn't seem to list all the countries for some reason. I've bookmarked the site, though, and will probably use it more after I move.
This has been rectified, the library content is now being scraped from the 90+ countries!
I've also shipped a quality filter. Now you can select to only see SD or HD films, you can also see which countries are HD in the film pages. More features shipping tomorrow.

Try it out and let me know what you think, thank you for your feedback again!

Post Reply