Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Films streaming on MUBI

d3ver

Re: Films streaming on MUBI

Post by d3ver » June 20th, 2020, 10:58 pm

Obgeoff wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 8:00 am
Thanks d3ver, if you add scrapping the library for Ireland, you will make me very happy.
Done! along with the rest of the countries. In fact even more countries are being added now to cover a total of 127 countries!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 21st, 2020, 10:23 am

Sweet. Looks great d3ver, thanks for adding those features!

Something to add to your backlog would be listing the languages/subtitled languages.

And I think there's a bug.

Crystal Swan is listed as being in two collections, but according to Mubi it's not in any collections (but it's "Exclusive" to Mubi).
Compare https://mubi.com/films/crystal-swan with https://whatsonmubi.com/film/crystal-swan

Those two collections, in turn, list a number of films that aren't actually part of those collections.
Compare https://mubi.com/specials/syamsul-yusof-on-sinema with https://whatsonmubi.com/collection/486- ... -on-sinema
and https://mubi.com/specials/blood-quantum ... ure-movies with https://whatsonmubi.com/collection/492- ... ure-movies

d3ver

Post by d3ver » June 21st, 2020, 10:44 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:23 am
Sweet. Looks great d3ver, thanks for adding those features!

Something to add to your backlog would be listing the languages/subtitled languages.
This is not feasible for now as it requires a LOT more bandwidth to get this information and it would slow down the whole process. Unless I can figure out a more efficient way. Will investigate this some more once I've implemented the more urgent stuff.
Fergenaprido wrote:

Crystal Swan is listed as being in two collections, but according to Mubi it's not in any collections (but it's "Exclusive" to Mubi).
Compare https://mubi.com/films/crystal-swan with https://whatsonmubi.com/film/crystal-swan

Those two collections, in turn, list a number of films that aren't actually part of those collections.
Compare https://mubi.com/specials/syamsul-yusof-on-sinema with https://whatsonmubi.com/collection/486- ... -on-sinema
and https://mubi.com/specials/blood-quantum ... ure-movies with https://whatsonmubi.com/collection/492- ... ure-movies
That is indeed a bug. I thought special/collection IDs were unique regardless of country, but that doesn't seem to be the case :(.
For Crystal Swan it should be these collections:
Women with movie cameras (ID = 492)
Film festival favorites (ID = 486)

But looks like the movie was found in Malaysia and had different collections there with the same ID, so they were overwritten:
Blood Quantum: Sneak peek at BOO's Creature Movies (ID = 492)
Syamsul Yusof on Sinema (ID = 486)

Will hide collections temporarily until everything is scraped correctly again. Thanks for reporting!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 21st, 2020, 11:13 am

d3ver wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 10:58 pm
Obgeoff wrote:
Thanks d3ver, if you add scrapping the library for Ireland, you will make me very happy.
Done! along with the rest of the countries. In fact even more countries are being added now to cover a total of 127 countries!
Oh no, that's more countries than available in my VPN-client! :o
Now you might be teasing me with available movies that might not be available to me. That would be terrible!
:P

I've skipped my weekly "check the last 7 additions on MUBI in all countries in my VPN" this week and I started using your site. I don't really plan what to watch. Most of the time I just watch the next movie that will expire on MUBI. So I decided to use your site like that for now. I simply sort by "Expires (arrow up)" and figure out the first movie on that list that I want to watch. The first time I checked everything from the beginning, so it was a bit of work. But now I just continue from the last movie on that list that I watched.

I noticed the order changes a bit. Yesterday the first title that way I came across was Bhumika. Right after that was Va savoir, which I also want to see. Today I see Va savoir listed before Bhumika. Both expire in 6 days, but it made me wonder what the second sorting criteria is.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

d3ver

Post by d3ver » June 21st, 2020, 1:26 pm

joachimt wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:13 am
d3ver wrote:
Obgeoff wrote:
Now you might be teasing me with available movies that might not be available to me. That would be terrible!

I've skipped my weekly "check the last 7 additions on MUBI in all countries in my VPN" this week and I started using your site. I don't really plan what to watch. Most of the time I just watch the next movie that will expire on MUBI. So I decided to use your site like that for now. I simply sort by "Expires (arrow up)" and figure out the first movie on that list that I want to watch. The first time I checked everything from the beginning, so it was a bit of work. But now I just continue from the last movie on that list that I watched.

I noticed the order changes a bit. Yesterday the first title that way I came across was Bhumika. Right after that was Va savoir, which I also want to see. Today I see Va savoir listed before Bhumika. Both expire in 6 days, but it made me wonder what the second sorting criteria is.
Actually the reason you've noticed a change is because I scraped everything from scratch yesterday to fix the issue where some library films were being flagged as "now showing", and also a lot more countries have been added. So maybe the films you mentioned were expiring soon until they were found to expire later in other countries...

I'm excited to start working on the watchlist and notifications feature soon!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » June 21st, 2020, 1:30 pm

d3ver wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:44 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
This is not feasible for now as it requires a LOT more bandwidth to get this information and it would slow down the whole process. Unless I can figure out a more efficient way. Will investigate this some more once I've implemented the more urgent stuff.
No worries, just a suggestion, but not essential.
d3ver wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:44 am
Fergenaprido wrote:

That is indeed a bug. I thought special/collection IDs were unique regardless of country, but that doesn't seem to be the case :(.

Will hide collections temporarily until everything is scraped correctly again. Thanks for reporting!
:thumbsup:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » June 21st, 2020, 3:45 pm

d3ver wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 1:26 pm
joachimt wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 11:13 am
d3ver wrote:

Actually the reason you've noticed a change is because I scraped everything from scratch yesterday to fix the issue where some library films were being flagged as "now showing", and also a lot more countries have been added. So maybe the films you mentioned were expiring soon until they were found to expire later in other countries...

I'm excited to start working on the watchlist and notifications feature soon!
You are absolutely amazing!! :worship:
ICM-profile

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » June 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm

Welp, I was going to cancel my MUBI subscription because I'm now done with all the movies I wanted to watch (that didn't already expire before I had the chance to watch it), and then they give me 30 more free days added to my subscription when I was attempting to cancel it so I guess I'll use MUBI for another month :lol: Out of all the films I watched on the USA's version of MUBI in the past 27~ish days, Boot Polish (1954) is the only film with a chance at being in my top 1000 favorite films list (probably in the 950-1000 range at best) and there are a few other films that would make it to my 500<400 list.

d3ver

Post by d3ver » June 24th, 2020, 10:47 am

brokenface wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
One thing that would be really cool, but I don't know if possible, would be if you could get the info on upcoming films. Some data is definitely on the site on this, e.g. if there's a category like currently there's 'Ida Lupino Double Bill', one of the films is available currently and you can click the label and it'll tell you the other film is coming in 6 days. Are you able to get at that info?

I figured something out for this, will implement soon.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 1st, 2020, 6:17 pm

So many movies are only available in Malaysia, which is not included in my VPN. Made me think of another feature: the ability to select and deselect countries. Now you can only check the availability in one country or all countries. I would like to select all the countries in my VPN-client (and preferably save the settings).
ICM-profile

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 1st, 2020, 6:21 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:17 pm
So many movies are only available in Malaysia, which is not included in my VPN. Made me think of another feature: the ability to select and deselect countries. Now you can only check the availability in one country or all countries. I would like to select all the countries in my VPN-client (and preferably save the settings).
Great suggestion, I think this would be best included in the "account features". So hopefully in a few weeks. I'm trying to get the audio+subtitles, hidden content, collections bug, upcoming films implemented ASAP. I'm also improving on the code performance.

Can you please add that to the feedback site? Thank you!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 1st, 2020, 8:58 pm

d3ver wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:21 pm
joachimt wrote:
Great suggestion, I think this would be best included in the "account features". So hopefully in a few weeks. I'm trying to get the audio+subtitles, hidden content, collections bug, upcoming films implemented ASAP. I'm also improving on the code performance.

Done
ICM-profile

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 1st, 2020, 8:59 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 8:58 pm
d3ver wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:21 pm
joachimt wrote:

Done
Thank you!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 2nd, 2020, 4:37 am

joachimt wrote:
Good suggestion. Keep in mind, though, that most of those movies are not only in Malaysia, but all of Southeast Asia. D3ver just didn't scrape for the same channels in those other countries, though. So if your VPN works for Singapore, or Philippines, or Thailand for example, you'd be able to view those films.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 2nd, 2020, 6:04 am

I've got Singapore! Slow connection though, but it's worth a try.
ICM-profile

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:24 am

Great helpful site, d3ver. But does anyone has any more clear insight into Mubi's policy about which films will be added to the library, how long they will stay there and such? It seems all pretty random now to me.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 2nd, 2020, 3:14 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 6:04 am
Good luck! It's mostly Asian fare on the three extra channels, including a fair amount of popular Bollywood films on the two official Indian lists in the Dekho channel. Only the lesser known films don't have subtitles. The only trouble I've found is that many of the Indian films are from Shemaroo, and you can also watch them on YT on Shemaroo's official channels, but sometimes the runtime is different or there are no subtitles on Shemaroo. So I often doublecheck the runtime to make sure I'm watching the complete version (it's usually the long films more than 2.5 hours that have a discrepancy; sometimes only 5 minutes, other times 20 minutes).
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 10:24 am
Great helpful site, d3ver. But does anyone has any more clear insight into Mubi's policy about which films will be added to the library, how long they will stay there and such? It seems all pretty random now to me.
Based on my conversations with their customer support, they curate the films to be shown in each country for 30 days, and often follow themes (hence the specials and collections). In terms of the open library they just started, I don't know about that. Does indeed seem pretty random, but I'm sure it's related to what they can get the rights to.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 2nd, 2020, 8:29 pm

Isn’t there a search function in the app? I selected a movie using What’s on MUBI, but I can’t find it, because I can’t find a searchbox. (Normally I watch MUBI on a laptop. Browser version has a searchbox)
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 3rd, 2020, 9:42 am

Nope. App version (at least on Android) doesn't have a search feature. The app is very limited overall. All it has for me is the films on each channel, a downloaded films section, and settings.

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 9:42 am
Nope. App version (at least on Android) doesn't have a search feature. The app is very limited overall. All it has for me is the films on each channel, a downloaded films section, and settings.
The library section is available on the beta version of the android app (you have to explicitly join the beta from the play store to get it), I don't know about other platforms

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 3rd, 2020, 11:09 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 4:37 am
joachimt wrote:
Good suggestion. Keep in mind, though, that most of those movies are not only in Malaysia, but all of Southeast Asia. D3ver just didn't scrape for the same channels in those other countries, though. So if your VPN works for Singapore, or Philippines, or Thailand for example, you'd be able to view those films.
I thought I had checked most of those countries to see which of them had separate channels, I guess not. I'll rectify this soon.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 3rd, 2020, 11:17 am

New Herzog (Family Romance LLC) is streaming free for anyone today: https://mubi.com/films/family-romance-llc

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » July 3rd, 2020, 12:16 pm

brokenface wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 11:17 am
New Herzog (Family Romance LLC) is streaming free for anyone today: https://mubi.com/films/family-romance-llc
Not working for me. :(

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 3rd, 2020, 12:26 pm

clemmetarey wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:16 pm
brokenface wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 11:17 am
Not working for me. :(
:( sorry, maybe it's country limited?

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 3rd, 2020, 2:56 pm

Yeah, in the email it mentioned not available in all countries, but many. It works for me here in Malaysia, surprisingly, and it seems like it will be available for some time after today's premiere.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 3rd, 2020, 3:56 pm

d3ver wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 9:42 am
The library section is available on the beta version of the android app (you have to explicitly join the beta from the play store to get it), I don't know about other platforms
I'm on iOS. The library is available, that's not the problem. There just isn't a searchfunction. So I can browse collections, but I can't search for a specific movie. So even if I know it's there somewhere, I can't track it down. That's completely stupid!
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 4th, 2020, 7:40 am

If a title says this for example:
1 day (Max: 4 months )
It is listed at 1 day when sorted by "Expires on". If that one day expires, will it be listed by 4 months then? In this case the title is available for 1 more day in Switzerland and 4 months in Germany and nothing more. I choose to skip such a title at the moment and prioritize a title that actually expires in 1 day.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 4th, 2020, 8:47 am

joachimt wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:40 am
It is listed at 1 day when sorted by "Expires on". If that one day expires, will it be listed by 4 months then? In this case the title is available for 1 more day in Switzerland and 4 months in Germany and nothing more. I choose to skip such a title at the moment and prioritize a title that actually expires in 1 day.
That's my understanding, yes. First is country-specific, second is overall. I think the only risk for you is that you need to check that the country that is listed in Max is available via your VPN.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 4th, 2020, 9:23 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 8:47 am
joachimt wrote:
That's my understanding, yes. First is country-specific, second is overall. I think the only risk for you is that you need to check that the country that is listed in Max is available via your VPN.
Good point. I skipped Wendy and Lucy in my selection process, because it said:
3 days (Max: Unlimited)
But it seemed in the two unlimited countries you have to pay an extra fee to watch it.
ICM-profile

Chilton

Post by Chilton » July 4th, 2020, 3:11 pm

joachimt wrote:
I think this only happens when you filter on films of the "Now Showing" section (which is the default setting), meaning that the film will disappear from that section in one day, but will be available somewhere either in the library or for rent for the next four months.

I always select "All films", and there the timer will just say "4 months".

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 4th, 2020, 3:17 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 9:23 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 8:47 am
joachimt wrote:
Good point. I skipped Wendy and Lucy in my selection process, because it said:
3 days (Max: Unlimited)
But it seemed in the two unlimited countries you have to pay an extra fee to watch it.

Hmm yeah good point, I'm not sure if I should exclude the rent dates from the "max date" in this case 🤔

Chilton wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 3:11 pm
joachimt wrote:
I think this only happens when you filter on films of the "Now Showing" section (which is the default setting), meaning that the film will disappear from that section in one day, but will be available somewhere either in the library or for rent for the next four months.

I always select "All films", and there the timer will just say "4 months".
Yes, this is correct.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 4th, 2020, 7:08 pm

If I follow Chilton's advice, Wendy and Lucy isn't listed anymore as a soon expiring movie, so I think you should exclude the rent dates from the max dates indeed.
ICM-profile

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 4th, 2020, 8:12 pm

joachimt wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:08 pm
If I follow Chilton's advice, Wendy and Lucy isn't listed anymore as a soon expiring movie, so I think you should exclude the rent dates from the max dates indeed.
Hmm, okay I'll consider what change would make the best user experience here..

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 5th, 2020, 9:25 pm

https://whatsonmubi.com/film/just-don-t ... -ll-scream
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ne+ ... +je+hurle/
Synopsis
During years of solitude in an Alsatian village following the end of a relationship, Frank Beauvais found solace in the screen by watching films obsessively. He then crafted an audiovisual diary by editing shots of the films he was devouring, in which he links his private life with world events.
Strongly recommend this for the essay film fans and the obsessive film watchers, which probably covers most people here. Made in 2016, based on the references, but it's almost too perfectly appropriate for both this forum and the current lockdown life many of us are (or have recently been) living.

The whole film is a montage of other films. It even has a complete list of the films used in the credits :wub:

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 5th, 2020, 9:33 pm

joachimt wrote:
BTW, you don't have to stay connected to the VPN all the time, actually you just need to launch the VPN and start playing the film then you can turn it off and continue watching with your regular IP 🤓

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » July 5th, 2020, 11:39 pm

brokenface wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 9:25 pm
https://whatsonmubi.com/film/just-don-t ... -ll-scream
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ne+ ... +je+hurle/
Synopsis
During years of solitude in an Alsatian village following the end of a relationship, Frank Beauvais found solace in the screen by watching films obsessively. He then crafted an audiovisual diary by editing shots of the films he was devouring, in which he links his private life with world events.
Strongly recommend this for the essay film fans and the obsessive film watchers, which probably covers most people here. Made in 2016, based on the references, but it's almost too perfectly appropriate for both this forum and the current lockdown life many of us are (or have recently been) living.

The whole film is a montage of other films. It even has a complete list of the films used in the credits :wub:
Nice, thanks for the rec!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » Yesterday, 9:11 am

d3ver wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 9:33 pm
joachimt wrote:
BTW, you don't have to stay connected to the VPN all the time, actually you just need to launch the VPN and start playing the film then you can turn it off and continue watching with your regular IP 🤓
I'll have to try what happens when I pause it and restart it.
ICM-profile