Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Films streaming on MUBI

d3ver

Re: Films streaming on MUBI

Post by d3ver » July 16th, 2020, 11:27 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 11:24 am
I've noticed that I'll check the site at 4 or 5 am my time, and the previous days films will still be listed even though they expired at midnight (true, they may be available in another country still, but not where I am). Sometimes one channel will update, but the others won't.

I watched it Joachim, I can tell you the ending if you want :P

I'll probably add a "user timezone" setting, so films that can't be watched in your timezone won't show up. It will be UTC by default and users can override that.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » July 28th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Are there any news about the enhancements/where will they be announced? :)

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 28th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Melvelet wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 1:18 pm
Are there any news about the enhancements/where will they be announced? :)
Hey there, thanks for your continued interest. I've been getting some other work done, but I should be able to push some new updates next week. I will announce them here as well as in the Twitter and Subreddit.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 28th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Great that you keep posting here as well!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

d3ver

Post by d3ver » July 28th, 2020, 5:56 pm

You guys provided great feedback all along, the least I can do is keep you posted on updates :)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 6th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Amazing! Thanks for posting toromash. Strangely, the first film for me is already leaving in seven days (Haneke's Seventh Continent), yet it's not one of the films in my regular 30-day list. I would have missed all of these completely.

Looks like I only get 17 of the 20 here, but I'm really looking forward to catching some of them. I wonder how long all of them will be available, of if they're (semi-)permanent additions to the library.

Here are the films selected (except the 3 I don't have access to; I find it a pity in that these specials, Mubi doesn't list all of the films, so you never know what you're missing):
The Seventh Continent (Haneke 1989 AUT) - Saw on Mubi last year during a Haneke special.
**Germany Year Zero (Rossellini 1948 ITA) - Looking forward to it.
India Song (Duras 1975 FRA) - Been putting this off forever, but I don't know why. Maybe I'll get to it this time.
The Terrorizers (Yang 1986 TWN) - Saw it for World Cup.
Metropolitan (Stillman 1990 USA) - I think they showed this and I missed it, so glad to get another chance to see it.
Horse Money (Costa 2014 POR) - It's mentioned a fair bit on the forum, so I'll give it a go.
A Moment of Innoncence (Makhmalbad IRN 1996) - Seen it.
No Home Movie (Akerman 2015 BEL) - Not too keen on Akerman, and maybe not the best film to start delving into her work with.
Love Meetings (Pasolini 1964 ITA) - Looks interesting.
M (Zauberman 2018 FRA) - Saw this on Mubi last year; I strongly recommend this doc.
The Perfumed Nightmare (Tahimik 1977 PHL) - Seen it.
Rapado (Rejtman 1992 ARG) - They did a mini-special of Retjman films last year, but didn't include his debut, so glad to get to see it.
Invasion (Santiago 1969 ARG) - Looking interesting.
**The Jester (Morais 1987 POR) - I might give it a go since it's official.
**Charles, Dead or Alive (Tanner 1969 SUI) - Ditto.
In the Name of Christ (M'Bala 1993 CIV) - I'll see this one; Côte d'Ivoire is a country that I haven't seen anything from yet.
Land of Fire All Night Long (Klopfenstein & Legnazzi 1981 SUI) - I might catch it if I have time.

The ones with ** are Golden Leopard Winners.

toromash

Post by toromash » August 6th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 12:23 pm
Amazing! Thanks for posting toromash. Strangely, the first film for me is already leaving in seven days (Haneke's Seventh Continent), yet it's not one of the films in my regular 30-day list. I would have missed all of these completely.

Looks like I only get 17 of the 20 here, but I'm really looking forward to catching some of them. I wonder how long all of them will be available, of if they're (semi-)permanent additions to the library.

Here are the films selected (except the 3 I don't have access to; I find it a pity in that these specials, Mubi doesn't list all of the films, so you never know what you're missing):
The Seventh Continent (Haneke 1989 AUT) - Saw on Mubi last year during a Haneke special.
**Germany Year Zero (Rossellini 1948 ITA) - Looking forward to it.
India Song (Duras 1975 FRA) - Been putting this off forever, but I don't know why. Maybe I'll get to it this time.
The Terrorizers (Yang 1986 TWN) - Saw it for World Cup.
Metropolitan (Stillman 1990 USA) - I think they showed this and I missed it, so glad to get another chance to see it.
Horse Money (Costa 2014 POR) - It's mentioned a fair bit on the forum, so I'll give it a go.
A Moment of Innoncence (Makhmalbad IRN 1996) - Seen it.
No Home Movie (Akerman 2015 BEL) - Not too keen on Akerman, and maybe not the best film to start delving into her work with.
Love Meetings (Pasolini 1964 ITA) - Looks interesting.
M (Zauberman 2018 FRA) - Saw this on Mubi last year; I strongly recommend this doc.
The Perfumed Nightmare (Tahimik 1977 PHL) - Seen it.
Rapado (Rejtman 1992 ARG) - They did a mini-special of Retjman films last year, but didn't include his debut, so glad to get to see it.
Invasion (Santiago 1969 ARG) - Looking interesting.
**The Jester (Morais 1987 POR) - I might give it a go since it's official.
**Charles, Dead or Alive (Tanner 1969 SUI) - Ditto.
In the Name of Christ (M'Bala 1993 CIV) - I'll see this one; Côte d'Ivoire is a country that I haven't seen anything from yet.
Land of Fire All Night Long (Klopfenstein & Legnazzi 1981 SUI) - I might catch it if I have time.

The ones with ** are Golden Leopard Winners.
np, for some reason the seventh continent is not available for me, but i have seen it anyway, when they had their Haneke special. For others, remember not to have native audio/subtitles on your library set on as this will remove almost every film from this catalogue (unless your native language is english).

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 7th, 2020, 10:55 am

I received the email about it today. At the end it says "Find this special series in LIBRARY through the end of August." So in theory they should be available all month long.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 10th, 2020, 5:55 pm

@d3ver:
Could you set the first filter at "All films" by default instead of "Now showing"? I always forget to change that filter. I want to see everything first. When I want to narrow down, I want to do that myself.
ICM-profile

d3ver

Post by d3ver » August 10th, 2020, 6:22 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 5:55 pm
@d3ver:
Could you set the first filter at "All films" by default instead of "Now showing"? I always forget to change that filter. I want to see everything first. When I want to narrow down, I want to do that myself.
Yeah I could do that, but that would include films for rent. As a temporary solution, you could bookmark this URL until I make the change / figure out a better solution: onmu.bi/all
AdamH wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 6:18 pm
Do @s work on here?
They don't, but I have mail notifications on for this post :)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 10th, 2020, 7:26 pm

I'll bookmark this instead:
https://whatsonmubi.com/?catalogue=all&sort=expires-asc
That's my preferred way to browse your site.
ICM-profile

d3ver

Post by d3ver » August 10th, 2020, 7:28 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Yeah, onmu.bi is just a short domain for the site. Do you think switching the default to all films (including the rent films) is a good idea ?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 10th, 2020, 8:09 pm

d3ver wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 7:28 pm
joachimt wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Yeah, onmu.bi is just a short domain for the site. Do you think switching the default to all films (including the rent films) is a good idea ?
Any idea how many of the 2859 are only available for rent and not "Now showing" or "Library"?
If it's a small percentage, I'd say switch to "All" by default.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 10th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Why didn’t I check immediately? Pretty easy.
So yes, switch to all by default.
ICM-profile

d3ver

Post by d3ver » August 10th, 2020, 8:33 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:31 pm
Alright, sounds good. When the films are only available for rent, they show the price. Maybe I should highlight that better somehow. Will switch the default setting soon 👌

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » August 11th, 2020, 8:39 am

Or have another option like "included in Premium" that groups Library and Now Showing together?

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 11th, 2020, 10:20 am

My bookmarked page is https://whatsonmubi.com/?showing=my&sort=expires-asc showing only the Now Showing films in Malaysia, sorted by when the leave (leaving today at the top). Since there are 4 channels here, it works perfectly for me that each row has 4 films :D

d3ver

Post by d3ver » August 11th, 2020, 11:14 am

joachimt wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:31 pm
Done. Switched default catalogue to 'all' with 'Date found descending' as the default sorting.
Melvelet wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:39 am
Or have another option like "included in Premium" that groups Library and Now Showing together?
Hmm, yeah that might be a good idea!
Fergenaprido wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 10:20 am
My bookmarked page is https://whatsonmubi.com/?showing=my&sort=expires-asc showing only the Now Showing films in Malaysia, sorted by when the leave (leaving today at the top). Since there are 4 channels here, it works perfectly for me that each row has 4 films :D
You should switch to this instead (now that the default catalogue is all films): https://whatsonmubi.com/?catalogue=ns&s ... xpires-asc

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 24th, 2020, 9:59 am

d3ver wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 11:14 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
You should switch to this instead (now that the default catalogue is all films): https://whatsonmubi.com/?catalogue=ns&s ... xpires-asc
I think something changed d3ver. Now on that list there are only 37 films instead of 120.

And if I just look at the main channel, there are only 8 films instead of 30.

d3ver

Post by d3ver » August 24th, 2020, 11:05 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 9:59 am
d3ver wrote:
Fergenaprido wrote:
I think something changed d3ver. Now on that list there are only 37 films instead of 120.

Should be fixed now, not sure what happened with the scraper there 🤔. Thank you for reporting the issue!

PS: Dekho! channel seems to only have 15 films now, not sure if it was always the case ?

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 24th, 2020, 11:47 am

d3ver wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 11:05 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 9:59 am
d3ver wrote:

Should be fixed now, not sure what happened with the scraper there 🤔. Thank you for reporting the issue!

PS: Dekho! channel seems to only have 15 films now, not sure if it was always the case ?
Huh, you're right. I hadn't noticed. I suspect that they're going to phase out that channel then, since most of the Indian films they've shown are now available in the library. The rest are mostly modern Bangladeshi films without subtitles, and they've been adding them on repeat to the channel lately.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 24th, 2020, 5:11 pm

I'm often surprised how many zero check movies are on MUBI. In some countries often even movies that are not on IMDb yet.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 24th, 2020, 5:20 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shutter/

Fergy, this movie is only available in Malaysia. Any idea if it could be available in some other country nearby you, which isn't scraped by d3ver? My VPN doesn't have Malaysia.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 24th, 2020, 5:39 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:20 pm
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shutter/

Fergy, this movie is only available in Malaysia. Any idea if it could be available in some other country nearby you, which isn't scraped by d3ver? My VPN doesn't have Malaysia.
Did you check Singapore? I think you said before you had access to that.

The other countries that I would suggest all are listed on d3ver's site but don't appear to be listed for that film, which is odd since it's streaming in the Sinema section covering Southeast Asia, so if you have access to Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, or Philippines, it should show under those countries too. I think d3vey only scrapes the extra channels for Malaysia because of me (thanks d3vey!) but those channels should be available for those countries too. Other than that, Cambodia, Laos, Brunei, and possibly East Timor should have it as well. It's also part of this special: https://mubi.com/specials/the-best-of-thai-movies

I see Allison posted a few months ago that it's available on Netflix. I just checked and it's also there for me, so if you can't find any country to watch it in on Mubi, perhaps try Netflix next?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 24th, 2020, 5:48 pm

It's not showing in Singapore unfortunately and I haven't got any of the other countries you mentioned. No Netflix account in my house as well.
Thanks for trying anyway.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2020, 5:43 am

What's on MUBI says "Sympathy for the Devil" (1968) is showing in France (expires in 5 days), but when I go to MUBI (VPN in France) it says it's not showing currently.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2020, 5:47 am

Hm, might be that the French connection is unstable at the moment. I'll try again later.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2020, 6:19 am

Connection restored. Playing now.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2020, 6:05 pm

@Fergy, are you sure those other countries should have those channels?

My VPN-client just had an update and I now have Vietnam, Philippines and Cambodia as well. I went to all of those, shutter wasn't available. I didn't see any channels. When I go to India, I can see two channels (world and India), so I know where to look and it seems MUBI it correctly checking my VPN country.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 26th, 2020, 8:07 pm

No, it's a big assumption on my part :D I can write to support and ask them for clarification.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 3rd, 2020, 6:23 pm

https://whatsonmubi.com/film/the-model-couple

Whatsonmubi says it's available in the library here in the Netherlands, but I can't watch it. There's no play-button. Just tried in Ireland as well, but not there too. Anything going wrong? Makes me wonder how reliable the "unlimited" note is.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » September 6th, 2020, 2:32 am

joachimt wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 6:05 pm
@Fergy, are you sure those other countries should have those channels?

My VPN-client just had an update and I now have Vietnam, Philippines and Cambodia as well. I went to all of those, shutter wasn't available. I didn't see any channels. When I go to India, I can see two channels (world and India), so I know where to look and it seems MUBI it correctly checking my VPN country.
Mubi Support finally got back to me. Turns out my assumption was wrong. :D
Mubi Support wrote:You are correct, we watch very closely to see what content and channels are most popular with our members and make sure to provide the best possible curated content experience. Overall we saw that DEKHO was not as appealing as our other channel offerings, so we made the decision to close that channel and focus more on making the other three (SINEMA, BOO, and WORLD) even better.

Yes, the Boo and Sinema channels are unique to the programming in Malaysia. You can stream and download movies on MUBI in over 250 countries around the world. Every country has its own unique line-up, as the rights to show even a single film are often divided by different distributors and territories, making it very difficult to show the same movies in every country at once. This in turn allows us to tailor each country's selection for the local audience.
I'm curious as to what they consider a country, though, since there definitely aren't "over 250" of them :lol: