Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Free, legal streaming of ICM films

magnusbe

Free, legal streaming of ICM films

Post by magnusbe » September 21st, 2011, 2:38 pm

I didn't find a topic about this, so I thought I'd start a thread myself.

This is for links to free and legal streaming (or download, of course) of films in ICM lists. Please note if there are geographical restrictions on the sites you link to.

Voddler:
Voddler is currently available in all the nordic countries;
Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. Voddler is launching its services in Spain shortly.
El espinazo del diablo ICM
Morvern Callar ICM
Gwoemul ICM
White Zombie ICM
The Last Man on Earth ICM
Angel and the Badman ICM
Saw ICM
Oktyabr ICM
The Hours ICM
The Cider House Rules ICM
The Third Man ICM
Sabrina ICM
Metropolis ICM
The Immigrant ICM
My Man Godfrey ICM
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens ICM
Lat sau san taam ICM
The Italian Job (1969) ICM
Zulu ICM
Scanners ICM
House on Haunted Hill (1959) ICM
Häxan ICM
Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages ICM
The Raven (1935) ICM
The Birth of a Nation ICM
The Pawnshop ICM
The Cure ICM
Easy Street ICM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) ICM
Blood for Dracula ICM
8 1/2 ICM
Stazione Termini ICM
The Thief of Bagdad (1940) ICM
A Farewell to Arms (1932) ICM
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. ICM
Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam ICM
Die Büchse der Pandora ICM
Bronenosets Potyomkin ICM
Suddenly ICM
The Lady Vanishes ICM
Sabotage (1936) ICM
Flesh for Frankenstein ICM
Broken Blossoms ICM
The War of the Worlds (1953) ICM
The Brood ICM
Batoru rowaiaru ICM
Night of the Living Dead ICM
The Lost World ICM
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1920) ICM
Faust - Eine deutsche Volkssage ICM
Primer ICM

(I've gone through the films marked 'classics' on Voddler. I'll check for more later. Please add other movies in the thread, and I'll update this list.)
Last edited by magnusbe on September 21st, 2011, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » September 21st, 2011, 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting about this, great initiative! I'll certainly follow this thread. Does the films that are not in the english language include subtitles?

LarsC

Post by LarsC » September 21st, 2011, 3:01 pm

magnusbe on Sep 21 2011, 08:38:41 AM wrote:I didn't find a topic about this, so I thought I'd start a thread myself.

This is for links to free and legal streaming (or download, of course) of films in ICM lists. Please note if there are geographical restrictions on the sites you link to.

Voddler:
El espinazo del diablo ICM

Morvern Callar ICM

Gwoemul ICM

White Zombie ICM

The Last Man on Earth ICM

Angel and the Badman ICM

Saw ICM

Oktyabr ICM

(I will update this post with films from Voddler.)
You should probably note Voddlers geographical restrictions. But they do have a lot of icm-listed free movies. My watchlist still contains almost 100 of those titles.

magnusbe

Post by magnusbe » September 21st, 2011, 3:01 pm

Yeah, they have subtitles. Voddler is Swedish, so they have subs in Scandinavian or English, but they are not concistent. Some will only have subs in Swedish, some in both Swedish and Norwegian, some only in English.

magnusbe

Post by magnusbe » September 21st, 2011, 3:03 pm

LarsC on Sep 21 2011, 09:01:08 AM wrote:You should probably note Voddlers geographical restrictions.
Done!

afirm

Post by afirm » September 23rd, 2011, 11:06 am

Here are a couple.. Both on IMDB top250.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly ICM (Le scaphandre et le papillon)

Infernal Affairs ICM (Mou gaan dou)

magnusbe

Post by magnusbe » September 23rd, 2011, 11:01 pm

From NRK:
Herman ICM (Norwegian only)

magnusbe

Post by magnusbe » September 23rd, 2011, 11:24 pm

Last edited by magnusbe on September 24th, 2011, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Bailey

Post by George Bailey » October 17th, 2011, 9:56 pm

It doesn't work. Could it be because I am from Faroe Islands? :O

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 14th, 2017, 8:45 am

B) giving this topic a bump in case anyone has found good free streaming sources in the last few years.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 14th, 2017, 8:51 am

If we start listing all the official checks on archive.org, this list will become enormous.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 14th, 2017, 8:59 am

true, but it's a good reminder of a place to look for older things (that have passed copyright?)

I know I'm mostly curious if anyone has recommendation of streaming channels - say, a free version of Netflix - that they find useful for finding official checks. I've been looking without much luck.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 14th, 2017, 10:33 am

I think this thread is more useful if it's just for lists... posting the actual films here is less beneficial, especially if streaming services change which films they have available.

For example...
Internet Archive
Korean Film Archive on Youtube
Last edited by Fergenaprido on May 14th, 2017, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 14th, 2017, 11:14 am

Fergenaprido on May 14 2017, 04:33:24 AM wrote:I think this thread is more useful if it's just for lists... posting the actual films here is less beneficial, especially if streaming services change which films they have available.

For example...
Internet Archive
Korean Film Archive on Youtube
Indeed or listing of free streaming sites/streaming (with their geographical restictions).
Listing of films is highly impracticable, especially when taking into account different restrictions to the same services.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 14th, 2017, 11:40 am

That Korean Film Archive link looks quite useful, thanks! It's the sort of lead I was thinking about.

Likewise, I've had some success finding shorts on NATIONAL FILM BOARD OF CANADA webpage. Haven't tried them for the Canadian list though.

sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 14th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Mosfilm Youtube Channel. Not all the movies have English subs but a fair amount do.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » May 14th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Knaldskalle on May 14 2017, 01:02:51 PM wrote:Mosfilm Youtube Channel. Not all the movies have English subs but a fair amount do.
Which also has an ICM list MosFilm online

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 15th, 2017, 5:01 am

xianjiro on May 14 2017, 05:40:18 AM wrote:That Korean Film Archive link looks quite useful, thanks! It's the sort of lead I was thinking about.

Likewise, I've had some success finding shorts on NATIONAL FILM BOARD OF CANADA webpage. Haven't tried them for the Canadian list though.
Some of the official Canadian films can be found on NFB. Off the top of my head, I think Kanehsatake, Le chat dans le sac, Ernie's Game, and most of the short films are all available to view online.

Adam also put together two lists of all NFB films, though it doesn't include many recent additions.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/nati ... 979/adamh/ (27 official checks)
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/nati ... ent/adamh/ (28 official checks)
I'd say most of those films can be found on the NFB page, but some will only be in French. Many of the short films have no dialogue though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 16th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Gonna put this here, though it's not an "official" check:

https://jfac.jp/en/culture/news/n-asian ... -streaming

Omnibus featuring a Yukisada and Brillante Mendoza short, free until June 30th.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 17th, 2020, 4:54 am

And more free stuff: https://radiichina.com/classic-chinese- ... subtitles/
12 Classic Chinese Films are Now Available for Free on YouTube with English Subtitles
Some of the most important movies from China's first "Golden Age" are now available
Again, haven't checked whether they have an "official" status ... but who cares really.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 17th, 2020, 3:46 pm

This was posted somewhere else, but I can't remember where or by who (sorry!):

https://filmarchiv.hu/en/news/hungarian ... e-to-watch

definitely a number of these on lists, e.g.

The Boys of Paul Street, A Pál utcai fiúk, 1968
The Fifth Seal, Az ötödik pecsét, 1976
Men on the Alps, Emberek a havason, 1941
Love, Szerelem, 1970
Angi Vera, 1979

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 17th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Onderhond wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 4:54 am
12 Classic Chinese Films are Now Available for Free on YouTube with English Subtitles
Some of the most important movies from China's first "Golden Age" are now available
Again, haven't checked whether they have an "official" status ... but who cares really.
complete list of films at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -Porcj7bui (and no, I haven't checked for official status yet either - but given my backlog, it's usually something I DO care about) but thanks for sharing anyway!

sol can find me here

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 17th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Well, Spring in a Small Town is among them, so I guess I finally have no more valid excuse not to see it :)

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » April 25th, 2020, 9:24 am

Onderhond wrote:
I was curious so I checked and put them in a short list on icm: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/12+c ... genaprido/
9/12 are official, for those who care :p

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » April 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm

I recently started digging into what TubiTv had available (a free with ads streaming service) and they actually have quite a few more modern films on country-specific official lists, especially on the Cinema Tropical lists. I won't list all of them but a few include Pelo Malo (2013), Caramel (2008), Tanta Agua, Alamar and quite a few more. Many of them are in the "Award Winners & Nominations" Collection. Definitely worth browsing around in there.

beasterne

Post by beasterne » April 29th, 2020, 10:03 pm

It's Such A Beautiful Day (2012) by Don Hertzfeldt: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/itssuchabeautifulday Use the coupon code IAMSTUCKINSIDE after clicking Rent to watch for free.

Baseball (1994) by Ken Burns: https://www.pbs.org/show/baseball/ Streaming free on PBS.org

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 30th, 2020, 11:20 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 9:24 am
Onderhond wrote:
I was curious so I checked and put them in a short list on icm: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/12+c ... genaprido/
9/12 are official, for those who care :p
Thanks, your short lists explains why I'm doing relatively poorly on the two main Chinese lists! :D

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 2nd, 2020, 7:47 pm

I made a list of movies available to stream for free on Plex:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/plex ... /joachimt/

1. No idea if this is country dependent.
2. It's far from complete. I collected the titles manually by browsing the app. In the meantime I already found over 200 more titles. I hope there will be a way to automate this in the future.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 9th, 2020, 10:20 am

joachimt wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 7:47 pm
I made a list of movies available to stream for free on Plex:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/plex ... /joachimt/

1. No idea if this is country dependent.
2. It's far from complete. I collected the titles manually by browsing the app. In the meantime I already found over 200 more titles. I hope there will be a way to automate this in the future.
I just expanded this list. I already found 558 movies (with an IMDb-page, a lot don't have one). Some are missing on the iCM-list, because I just imported them to iCM (I keep getting the whoops-message).
103 official checks to watch for free!
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 9th, 2020, 10:23 am

How is the dub/sub situation on these films? First I saw was a Russian film listed with Language: English.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 9th, 2020, 11:29 am

Onderhond wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 10:23 am
How is the dub/sub situation on these films? First I saw was a Russian film listed with Language: English.
So far I only watched English movies. Most of the movies are English anyway. Which movie did you check?
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 9th, 2020, 11:51 am

Aleksandr Nevskiy.

Didn't have time to watch it at that time though (so not even certain if it's dialogue or just intertitles in this case), but my experience with Prime/Netflix has made me a little weary of these things. Maybe because I live in Belgium and the streaming giants seem to thing we love French dubs here in Flanders, but I can't just add interesting films to my watchlist anymore without doublechecking the dub/sub situation these days. It's becoming quite frustrating (especially because there is no good reason why this situation should even exist in this digital age.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » May 9th, 2020, 11:59 am

Onderhond wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 11:51 am
Aleksandr Nevskiy.
I saw this online five years ago on some Russian movie site. Can't remember what it's called, though.

There are decent copies on YT with English subtitles of this film, in case you're looking for it. Differing runtimes (1:43-1:48), but they should be mostly the same. I think the shortest one is from Mosfilm.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 9th, 2020, 12:17 pm

No particular interest to be honest, but it was the film the highest number of official check on Joachim's Plex list, so that's why I did a quick check.

beasterne

Post by beasterne » May 9th, 2020, 2:17 pm

The stay at home order is forcing me to get creative. Normally I use the library and check out dvds or Blu-rays, but with the libraries being closed I’m trying other options.

I watched Reds (1981) on Crackle last night. It was free to stream, but there was an ad break every 15-20 minutes. And they really threw off the pacing of the movie in a big way. Not the best experience but it worked in a pinch.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 9th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 11:51 am
Aleksandr Nevskiy.
I just checked and although it says "language: English" it's not dubbed, but subbed.
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 9th, 2020, 5:45 pm

That's good to know! Thanks for checking :)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 12th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 10:23 am
I just started watching Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot!. It said "Audio stream: English". However, there was only an Italian dub and no subs. I removed it from the iCM-list, because this is pointless.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 13th, 2020, 4:51 am

beasterne wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 2:17 pm
The stay at home order is forcing me to get creative. Normally I use the library and check out dvds or Blu-rays, but with the libraries being closed I’m trying other options.

I watched Reds (1981) on Crackle last night. It was free to stream, but there was an ad break every 15-20 minutes. And they really threw off the pacing of the movie in a big way. Not the best experience but it worked in a pinch.
Does your library offer streaming services? I probably watch at least one film a day between Kanopy and Hoopla, but it's going to be quite some time before I get to see the final crop of 2019 blockbusters and award nominees since they won't be hitting (free) streaming any time I can tell. So yeah, without being able to get physical media from the library, it's like being hamstrung - but will get my backlog worked down a fair big.

sol can find me here