Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th), 1951 (Sep 4th), 500<400 (Sep 23rd)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Roku, Plex, & other streaming solutions

xianjiro
Donator

Re: Roku, Plex, & other streaming solutions

Post by xianjiro » July 16th, 2020, 8:05 pm

cool, thanks for the info Cocoa - while I hadn't dreamed of looking at it before now, you've peaked my interest and since I can stream from my PC to the big monitor ...

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 17th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Cocoa wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:33 pm
I've only tried Peacock twice so far. I didn't experience any ads thanks to my popup blocker. There was some lag with the first film I watched (but it was launch day, so it wasn't completely unexpected) and no lag with the second film. They also have a spot that list all their films (and another for tv series) in alphabetical order which is a plus [ https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/movies/ ... all-movies ; https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/enterta ... -all-shows ]. There is a bunch of official checks on the site, so I would recommend getting a free account. All they asked for was an email address when making an account, they didn't ask for any credit card info stuff which is nice. I wish I had time to go through it all and make a list of all that is official but I don't have time to do that at the moment (u) Unfortunately I don't think Peacock has released Apps for all the tv streaming services.
I haven't checked it, but saw a "review" video of it on Youtube last night. The reviewer mentioned that 2/3 of the library is available for free (with ads) and the entire library is available for 4.99/month (with ads), "Premium". They have an introductory offer of free "Premium" (with ads) for 3 months. If you can find the "exclusive" part of the library and just binge watch that for 3 months, you might have a sweet deal.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 18th, 2020, 5:18 am

idk, part of me is just getting really annoyed with everything getting siloed off in proprietary streaming services. I read an article today claiming that the reason Peacock isn't going to be available any time soon on Roku has less to do to with the paying each of for the rights to the platform/content and is all about who gets the rights to collect and use the data on views, how someone binges, etc - in other words, who gets to control and use the data

and they want us to pay for that

and it's not just NBC/Universal v Roku, WB/HBO has similar battle with ... can't keep track of them all, need some sort of diagram, but all we have to do is list the big names jumping into streaming: Disney/ABC (and not the Aussie channels), Amazon/IMDb, Apple, Google

ugh

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 21st, 2020, 9:15 am

Just sign up for Streamer X because they were playing that big franchise you can't get enough of? Well guess what, nothing stays there forever. Or even to the end of the year.

HBO Max and Peacock are losing some of their biggest titles just after launching: Let’s explore the intricacies of windowing
Conglomerates like WarnerMedia or NBCUniversal have treasure troves of valuable IP. They can license that IP to other streamers like Netflix who are more than willing to pay for content that might attract subscribers. So long as NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia can earn additional revenue — and as long as it doesn’t have a negative impact on their own streaming ecosystem — they’ll likely continue to do it. “Syndication” is an easy way for a company to earn revenue on the IP it purchased for a handsome fee.

This is something that industry insiders call film windowing. Movies appear for a certain amount of time and then roll out, only to be brought back later in the year.
the full article

sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 26th, 2020, 5:39 am

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 28th, 2020, 1:55 am

joachimt wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 5:39 am
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/unofficia ... stall-now/

Is this legal?
Doesn't matter. Plex discontinued the installation of plugins last year.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.