Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Roku, Plex, & other streaming solutions

blocho
Donator

Re: Roku, Plex, & other streaming solutions

Post by blocho » June 27th, 2019, 2:31 pm

The New York Public Library just announced it was canceling its contract with Kanopy ... about six days after I discovered I had access to Kanopy through the NYPL.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » June 27th, 2019, 2:37 pm

That sucks.

I am watching Kanopy right now (Wiseman's film Reacetrack). I love it and would use it more often if they did not have the 4 per month limit.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 27th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Check your local community college. If they have access, enroll in the scool (but dont sign up for classes). This is usually free. Bonus student discounts.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 27th, 2019, 6:00 pm

blueboybob wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 2:49 pm
Check your local community college. If they have access, enroll in the scool (but dont sign up for classes). This is usually free. Bonus student discounts.
That's immensely devious. I admire your audacity.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » June 27th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Awhile ago, I compiled a list of about 60 things that I might watch if I had Kanopy access, though most of them wouldn't be too hard to find elsewhere. But I still haven't found a way in.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 27th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Apparently, the NYPL had a per-view contract with kanopy, paying about $2 for each time a user watched a video (a watch counted as 30 seconds or more of a video). That seems like an insane deal for the NYPL. Public libraries want the public to use their products, but in this case the more the public used it the more the library got its budget socked.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 28th, 2019, 12:26 am

Well, then the NYPL has issues with calculating it's budget. The price per view, from what I've been able to tell, is the same for all libraries. I know it's what both public library systems I belong to and use Kanopy on pay as well. One limits to 6 views per month, the other 10. My understanding is at least my most local system chose Kanopy over spending more on physical DVDs, especially 'less popular' items. So I'm guessing something else is going on in NYC.

And for the record, I think one should be able to watch the first 5 minutes without it counting. 30 seconds barely gets you into the credits!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 28th, 2019, 10:45 am

xianjiro wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 12:26 am
Well, then the NYPL has issues with calculating it's budget. The price per view, from what I've been able to tell, is the same for all libraries. I know it's what both public library systems I belong to and use Kanopy on pay as well. One limits to 6 views per month, the other 10. My understanding is at least my most local system chose Kanopy over spending more on physical DVDs, especially 'less popular' items. So I'm guessing something else is going on in NYC.

And for the record, I think one should be able to watch the first 5 minutes without it counting. 30 seconds barely gets you into the credits!
Heck, mistakenly clicking on something that starts the film instead of giving more information or adding to watchlist counts as a watch.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » June 29th, 2019, 2:01 am

zuma wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 2:37 pm
That sucks.

I am watching Kanopy right now (Wiseman's film Reacetrack). I love it and would use it more often if they did not have the 4 per month limit.
Hmmm my account through LA library system has a 10-per-month limit.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » June 29th, 2019, 3:05 am

weirdboy wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 2:01 am
zuma wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 2:37 pm
That sucks.

Hmmm my account through LA library system has a 10-per-month limit.
Lucky. Ottawa Public Library is way more limited.

It is fine though. It’s not like I am stuck for a film to watch or anything.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » June 29th, 2019, 7:43 am

Kanopy is unsustainable for public institutions and apparently Kanopy takes a 50% cut which is hilariously profiteering (yes I know they run servers, their costs don't scale nearly fast enough to require that). Also by putting public institutions between them and the viewers they're able to market it as free through the media, leaving the public holding the bill. Hope others follow the NYPL's lead. Also 30 seconds counting as a view for a feature is ridiculously stingy.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 29th, 2019, 7:56 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 7:43 am
Kanopy is unsustainable for public institutions and apparently Kanopy takes a 50% cut which is hilariously profiteering (yes I know they run servers, their costs don't scale nearly fast enough to require that). Also by putting public institutions between them and the viewers they're able to market it as free through the media, leaving the public holding the bill. Hope others follow the NYPL's lead. Also 30 seconds counting as a view for a feature is ridiculously stingy.
I'm locked out of my former university for I believe the same reason - blew the budget. I haven't found a formal announcement, but it's definitely awkward on Kanopy with the "Access is limited, per your institution's request..." message.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » June 29th, 2019, 8:09 am

You can still watch movies that others have already watched. Universities have a different payment system ($150 per film per year, unlimited views) but yeah, that message was what prompted me to look it up a few months ago. Can't imagine there are many universities that will average 150 viewers per film so it's quite a bad deal. The first 2 or 3 viewings of a film are free, which works well if hardly anyone is using kanopy, but as popularity increases and with a mere 30 seconds counting as a view (and the same person can trigger multiple views) it was a disaster waiting to happen.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » June 29th, 2019, 8:23 am

https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/li ... ind-rewind
What kicked up all the ruckus wasn’t just that a library was dropping a bundle of digital stuff it could no longer afford, but the way library users found out about it. They got an email from Kanopy, personally addressed to them by name, to express how disappointed the company was.
Any NYC users can confirm? That's really disgusting.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 29th, 2019, 2:58 pm

https://filmquarterly.org/2019/05/03/ka ... -not-free/

anybody know how the cost to libraries of hoopla compares with that of kanopy?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » June 29th, 2019, 5:25 pm

3eyes wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 2:58 pm
https://filmquarterly.org/2019/05/03/ka ... -not-free/

anybody know how the cost to libraries of hoopla compares with that of kanopy?
About the same for public libraries, it seems:
It’s pay-per-use, not subscription-based.
Hoopla is free to public library users in cities that sign up for it, but do come at a cost to the libraries that adopt it. When a user borrows an item, libraries pay between $0.99 to $2.99 per title. Each library system sets limits as to the number of items a patron can borrow each month
Sounds like the same kind of thing as what Kanopy had with NYPL, so if it takes off it'll have the same problems. The pay per view model is bad, but still not as bad as Kanopy's University model.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 29th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I subscribe to both, but Kanopy has more of the sort of stuff I'm interested in. I should maybe explore Hoopla more, though.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 29th, 2019, 9:49 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 8:23 am
https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/li ... ind-rewind
What kicked up all the ruckus wasn’t just that a library was dropping a bundle of digital stuff it could no longer afford, but the way library users found out about it. They got an email from Kanopy, personally addressed to them by name, to express how disappointed the company was.
Any NYC users can confirm? That's really disgusting.
I can't speak for other New Yorkers, but I did not receive an email from Kanopy. I found out from a NYTimes article a few days ago. Interestingly, the article claimed that the NYPL informed users through a mass email. I didn't receive that email either.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 4th, 2019, 2:45 am

Hulu seems to be hijacking the keys on my Roku remote. When I try to pause it says "do you want to leave [amazon etc] and launch Hulu?" without pausing the film. Only way to pause is to exit and start over. (or get out of Roku and use AV where possible.) Anyone else had such a problem?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 4th, 2019, 4:37 am

3eyes wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 2:45 am
Hulu seems to be hijacking the keys on my Roku remote. When I try to pause it says "do you want to leave [amazon etc] and launch Hulu?" without pausing the film. Only way to pause is to exit and start over. (or get out of Roku and use AV where possible.) Anyone else had such a problem?
Not this problem, no. Is your Roku always on? We have two - one always on, and one that turns on with the TV. The one that's always on frequently starts screwing up, so we have to put it in timeout for a bit.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 4th, 2019, 4:44 am

3eyes wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 2:45 am
is your remote one of the later models that has its own personal hulu button? (along with a netflix button and something else...)
it could be that something is stuck inside your remote, gunk or a paper clipping or something, and is pressing both buttons (pause and hulu) down simultaneously. you might need to unscrew the back off the remote and clean it out.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 4th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them. I have a stick thing which I guess is on when the TV is, but I have to switch out of AV to use it. I've now gone back to AV which is fine for NF and Amazon and youtube and behaves. So maybe it is something about the button on the remote.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Those stupid buttons on the roku remote are ridiculous.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 22nd, 2019, 10:01 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Awhile ago, I compiled a list of about 60 things that I might watch if I had Kanopy access, though most of them wouldn't be too hard to find elsewhere. But I still haven't found a way in.
I finally got it! I realized that I could gain access by getting a library card from an adjacent city that happens to be over the line in Los Angeles County.

Unfortunately, Kanopy isn't quite as good as it once was, because apparently the debut of the Criterion Channel means almost all the Criterion films are pulled from Kanopy.

I did go through the inventory and write down about 120 titles (so far?). I added the most essential ones to the queue: 9 Songs, Brakhage, Brittania Hospital (rewatch), By the Law, Daguerrotypes, Helas Pour Moi, Ikiru (rewatch), Judex, Kamikaze '89, Kung Fu Master, La Religieuse, Les Parents Terribles, Les Vampires, Loving Vincent, Michael, Mysteries of Lisbon, Pelle the Conqueror, Quai des Orfevres, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, The Howl, The Image Book, The Juniper Tree, The Last Laugh (rewatch), The Love of Jeanne Ney, The Turin Horse, The Two of Us, The Vanquished, Titicut Follies and Touchez Pas au Grisbi. My top priorities are La Religieuse and The Turin Horse.

I didn't know until subscribing that it only allows 10 films watched per month. This could be a problem, mainly because my girlfriend wants to watch stuff too. And unfortunately, she leans heavily toward modern horror films that rarely interest me...sigh.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 22nd, 2019, 10:09 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 10:01 pm
Ebbywebby wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 9:08 pm
I finally got it! I realized that I could gain access by getting a library card from an adjacent city that happens to be over the line in Los Angeles County.

Unfortunately, Kanopy isn't quite as good as it once was, because apparently the debut of the Criterion Channel means almost all the Criterion films are pulled from Kanopy.

I did go through the inventory and write down about 120 titles (so far?). I added the most essential ones to the queue: 9 Songs, Brakhage, Brittania Hospital (rewatch), By the Law, Daguerrotypes, Helas Pour Moi, Ikiru (rewatch), Judex, Kamikaze '89, Kung Fu Master, La Religieuse, Les Parents Terribles, Les Vampires, Loving Vincent, Michael, Mysteries of Lisbon, Pelle the Conqueror, Quai des Orfevres, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, The Howl, The Image Book, The Juniper Tree, The Last Laugh (rewatch), The Love of Jeanne Ney, The Turin Horse, The Two of Us, The Vanquished, Titicut Follies and Touchez Pas au Grisbi. My top priorities are La Religieuse and The Turin Horse.

I didn't know until subscribing that it only allows 10 films watched per month. This could be a problem, mainly because my girlfriend wants to watch stuff too. And unfortunately, she leans heavily toward modern horror films that rarely interest me...sigh.
Hooray that you got in! But cheer up, 10 films per month is lavish compared to the 4 that some of us get. I don't suppose your girlfriend has a library card?

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 22nd, 2019, 10:33 pm

That's exactly what I've been thinking, 3eyes. Girlfriend needs to take a drive, apply for her own library card and get a separate Kanopy account.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 23rd, 2019, 5:23 am

btw, I have access to two libraries - in Oregon, if you have a library card in one system, it's pretty much as good as a card in a new system, so I can watch 16 items in a given month

also, some libraries here even allow e-access. I'm not really sure of the details since I have a regular library card and account in good standing, but you might watch out for that as well.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 24th, 2019, 6:14 am

I tried logging into Criterion Channel while in Japan and it seems to work.

Unfortunately my network connection here kind of sucks so I wasn't able to actually watch a film from beginning to end due to buffering, etc. But at least it does not appear to be blocked outside North America.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 24th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:

Tried to use Kanopy last night and made an odd, unfortunate discovery. Three of the films I queued had no subtitles in the TV/Roku version, but DID have subtitles in the Web version. Why? And unfortunately, two of the three were my stated top priorities La Religieuse and The Turin Horse! (The third was Pelle the Conqueror.)

I'm watching La Religieuse anyway, via computer.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 24th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 7:32 pm
Ebbywebby wrote:

Tried to use Kanopy last night and made an odd, unfortunate discovery. Three of the films I queued had no subtitles in the TV/Roku version, but DID have subtitles in the Web version. Why? And unfortunately, two of the three were my stated top priorities La Religieuse and The Turin Horse! (The third was Pelle the Conqueror.)

I'm watching La Religieuse anyway, via computer.
I have only used Roku a couple of times to access Kanopy and I found the interface a bit difficult. Have you checked all your Kanopy settings on Roku - especially by accessing the hidden menu on the left?

It's seems unlikely that, if subs exist, that they wouldn't be available on all platforms.

Also, have you turned on subs for any other streaming service on TV/Roku? Could there be a master setting that affects all channels?

sol can find me here

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 24th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I don't think anything you mentioned could be the problem, and I don't have trouble displaying subtitles with other Roku channels.

There's a "CC" icon next to the star rating on any film's Kanopy page, and in the case of Pelle, Religieuse and Turin, the "CC" icon is fainter and has a slash through it. Oops. I didn't notice this subtle warning until I after already started Religieuse.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 13th, 2020, 8:08 pm

I started using Plex the last few days again for playing music and suddenly I noticed lots of free movies. Apparently they started a free streaming service:
https://www.plex.tv/blog/boom-we-just-d ... -for-free/
Anyone using this yet? I already found a few interesting titles I'm going to watch. Now I wonder if there's a way to find a complete list of available movies.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 13th, 2020, 11:30 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 8:08 pm
I started using Plex the last few days again for playing music and suddenly I noticed lots of free movies. Apparently they started a free streaming service:
Anyone using this yet? I already found a few interesting titles I'm going to watch. Now I wonder if there's a way to find a complete list of available movies.
I toyed with the idea, but I get really annoyed by content with ads, so I haven't turned on a movie. I haven't seen a way to figure out what's streaming on Plex yet, other than searching directly in the app. Reelgood and JustWatch don't have them yet.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 14th, 2020, 2:49 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 11:30 pm
joachimt wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 8:08 pm
I toyed with the idea, but I get really annoyed by content with ads, so I haven't turned on a movie. I haven't seen a way to figure out what's streaming on Plex yet, other than searching directly in the app. Reelgood and JustWatch don't have them yet.
Yeah, the new way ads drop into content (as opposed to the old way they had in commercial TV) has always felt really jarring to me. Way back just after the turn of the millennium when I still watched TV, it seemed like they still had a body at a control panel looking for a slightly more appropriate place to drop the commercial break and tv shows had this clearly defined - always have. So it's really annoying when there's a clear act/scene break, that gets ignored and then in the middle of a characters sentence we are told it's time to ask our doctor if Kraxozidy is right for us, that we really need to change auto insurance, etc. I've also had the feeling with a couple of the ad-based streaming services that some of the content gets clipped in the process. :angry: So I basically ignore all those channels as well. The other issue - are they tracking, cataloging, and reselling our watches? So, you like teen comedies? You must need pimple cream. :lol:

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 8:36 am

Forgive the cross-post, but I'm not sure everyone is reading both threads. This article also doesn't mention if this is only applicable in the US or other countries as well

Plex makes live TV free for three months

sol can find me here