Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Mar 20th)
Polls: Documentaries (Results), 2018 (Feb 17th), 2003 awards (Feb 24th), Fantasy (Feb 28th), DtC Nominations (Feb 28th), Children (Apr 7th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, 1930s, China+HK+Taiwan
World Cup: Semi finals preparation (Feb 23rd)
Film of the Week: Bian zou bian chang

Roku, Plex, & other streaming solutions

weirdboy
Donator

Re: Roku, Plex, & other streaming solutions

Post by weirdboy » October 26th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Oh, and I'm pretty sure their customer support contact went to /dev/null because I never received any contact from them on any question.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 26th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Yeah, they didn't seem to care whether I subscribed or not; I couldn't until six months ago when I got Roku. And today I can't get into my watchlist.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » October 27th, 2018, 1:17 am

I found Filmstruck exceptional and used it a lot. Really too bad. We are now starting to see the fallout of the AT&T merger and the push for a major Warner streaming service. Big company cutting quality to make way for more comic book shit. Their statement makes me cringe;

“While FilmStruck has a very loyal fanbase, it remains largely a niche service. We plan to take key learnings from FilmStruck to help shape future business decisions in the direct-to-consumer space and redirect this investment back into our collective portfolios.”

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » October 27th, 2018, 5:45 am

Like many people, I couldn't get any films to play on FilmStruck without constant skipping, stopping, and loading (I tried many suggested fixes to no avail). I imagine that had something to do with their lack of popularity.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » October 27th, 2018, 1:44 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 5:45 am
Like many people, I couldn't get any films to play on FilmStruck without constant skipping, stopping, and loading (I tried many suggested fixes to no avail). I imagine that had something to do with their lack of popularity.
In a sensible, non corporate, world popularity would factor into a decision.

It was not about popularity. It was more about the new ownership taking over and closing down a bunch of projects to consolidate resources. That way they can release similar projects later with their stamp on it and the shareholders will be happy. From what I have read there are a bunch of other services on the chopping block as well. This happens with every merger, in every industry.

The assumption is they will try to combine Criterion, Warner Archive, TCM, and maybe even Cruncyroll into a new streaming service.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » October 27th, 2018, 2:05 pm

This definitely had everything to do with AT&T's purchase.

Case in point - Filmstruck expanded into France and Spain in June!

I'm just concerned whether AT&T will go after TCM next, as they are clearly too big to give a shit about any petitions / fans / anyone - except their shareholders.

The Criterion / Janus films are too large and lucrative of a catalog to not be fought over by some entity. They'll turn up somewhere - be it Netflix / Amazon, or someone else.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 27th, 2018, 2:10 pm

AT&T also shut down my favourite youtube channel Super Deluxe after the merger

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 27th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 28th, 2018, 1:13 am

Minkin wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 2:05 pm
The Criterion / Janus films are too large and lucrative of a catalog to not be fought over by some entity. They'll turn up somewhere - be it Netflix / Amazon, or someone else.
Before Criterion joined Hulu they were on Netflix. When Criterion left, they slammed the door, being very vocal about how unhappy they were with not having a separate section. They had a separate section on both Hulu and Filmstruck.

EDIT: https://gizmodo.com/5761560/the-criteri ... ng-netflix
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » October 28th, 2018, 6:36 am

Well Netflix made a special section for marvel stuff, didn't they?

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 28th, 2018, 12:35 pm

It could be easier for NF now to have a special section or line on their streaming platform, but as far as I can see they don't much care about having quality stuff other than their own.
'

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » November 16th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » November 17th, 2018, 5:55 pm

So the Criterion Collection will have their own Criterion streaming services starting in Spring and will also appear on WarnerMedia whenever that is set up late next year? I'll likely try the Criterion Channel when it launches.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 17th, 2018, 8:02 pm

It all depends on availability. It's no use to have a streaming service that only works on Apple TV or only on Chromecast. That was why I never got on Filmstruck (plus the kids love Netflix). If the availability is there, I may sign up (and no, "coming later" or "coming soon" won't cut it). If Criterion want their service to be successful they need to make it work on the devices people have and not just shrug and go "too bad, maybe next year". The only reaction that'll invoke is a identical response from consumers.
ImageImageImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » November 17th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Filmstruck was even worse than that. They are still the only streaming service I have ever heard of that would only work on certain versions of chromecast.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » November 18th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Guys, anyone here in Europe using Amazon Fire stick or Roku stick? I'm not sure I understand what the limitations are, but it appears most of the content on these devices works in the US only so apparently a VPN is required. I'm actually mostly interested in setting up a KODI box, I did get a Chinese X96 mini box running Android 7, but cannot quite get KODI to work with that,.. does anyone use Exodus or some other streaming add-ons? Seems those streams are blocked fairly quickly (or they require registration and payment...) so I'm not even sure if the problem is with the Chinese cheap box or it will be the same problem with those other solutions.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » November 19th, 2018, 1:01 am

Roku is not limited to US only. Roku is basically just a platform to host streaming applications with a good user interface. I have a Roku TV and it's wonderful.

Fire Stick is ostensibly similar to Roku (or Apple TV, as another example) but it is very Amazon-centric. Yes, you can get Netflix, etc. on there but Amazon's products push you to use other Amazon products first and foremost.

I don't use Kodi. I do use Plex quite a lot, though which is similar but a bit more simplified and in general easier to use.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 19th, 2018, 3:09 am

bal3x wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 11:43 pm
Guys, anyone here in Europe using Amazon Fire stick or Roku stick? I'm not sure I understand what the limitations are, but it appears most of the content on these devices works in the US only so apparently a VPN is required. I'm actually mostly interested in setting up a KODI box, I did get a Chinese X96 mini box running Android 7, but cannot quite get KODI to work with that,.. does anyone use Exodus or some other streaming add-ons? Seems those streams are blocked fairly quickly (or they require registration and payment...) so I'm not even sure if the problem is with the Chinese cheap box or it will be the same problem with those other solutions.
I have that box too! It comes with a "K Media Player" (or something like that), which is just a rebranded Kodi player. You can uninstall that and install the real Kodi player from the Play Store. I never bothered with it, since I use Plex, but if Plex gets any worse I might look into it. The thing to remember with Kodi is that it doesn't transcode the way Plex Media Server does, so you need to "prepare" the media in advance for the player to handle. I've never bothered with any of the streaming plugins, but that's just because our Internet is so slow that it doesn't seem worth it (1.5 Mpbs).
ImageImageImageImage

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » November 19th, 2018, 9:57 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 3:09 am
bal3x wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 11:43 pm
I have that box too! It comes with a "K Media Player" (or something like that), which is just a rebranded Kodi player. You can uninstall that and install the real Kodi player from the Play Store. I never bothered with it, since I use Plex, but if Plex gets any worse I might look into it. The thing to remember with Kodi is that it doesn't transcode the way Plex Media Server does, so you need to "prepare" the media in advance for the player to handle. I've never bothered with any of the streaming plugins, but that's just because our Internet is so slow that it doesn't seem worth it (1.5 Mpbs).
OK, thanks for the feedback! Will try to tinker with that box a bit still. Yeah, I understand the difference between Plex and Kodi - I had been running Plex from a MacBook to stream on smart TV, there's only Plex plug-in on LG so Kodi is not an option there. The MacBook died a few days ago, wouldn't start, apparently a logic board issue (it was 10 years...) so will have to get a new laptop that should be possible to hook up Kodi via HDMI I guess. I was just looking at that Amazon Stick since it's now selling at $24 which is peanuts - the only problem is that they don't ship the US device here since they're offering some sort of "basic" international edition that's two times more expensive, lol.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » December 11th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Signed up for a month on Netflix.. the selection is horrible here, no way I'm paying 9 EUR for 1/6 of the content the US is getting. I estimate there's probably 5-10% of content that I'm interested in and that is obviously already seen, the selection of classic films is non-existent, I saw 2 B&W films in the entire catalog...

I did manage to see what is probably one of the worst films I've seen in years:
Edge of Fear (2018)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7149916/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This is utterly ridiculous, but what saddens me most is that I see recognizable actors working on such projects, really such a shame, cannot they really find better projects?

Good article on the streaming subject:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/10/tv-an ... direction/

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 11th, 2018, 5:07 pm

bal3x wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Signed up for a month on Netflix.. the selection is horrible here, no way I'm paying 9 EUR for 1/6 of the content the US is getting. I estimate there's probably 5-10% of content that I'm interested in and that is obviously already seen, the selection of classic films is non-existent, I saw 2 B&W films in the entire catalog...

I did manage to see what is probably one of the worst films I've seen in years:
Edge of Fear (2018)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7149916/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This is utterly ridiculous, but what saddens me most is that I see recognizable actors working on such projects, really such a shame, cannot they really find better projects?

Good article on the streaming subject:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/10/tv-an ... direction/
Get a VPN and you may be able to access the US Netflix. I seem to remember that Netflix blocks "known" VPNs, but since VPNs switch datacenters and servers, it may be possible for you to get it to work.
ImageImageImageImage

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm

bal3x wrote:
US Netflix currently has 48 movies made before 1980 in their catalogue: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchno ... =1880-1979

12/48 are the WW2 docs (e.g., "Why We Fight" series)
Roughly half are cheap SE Asian/Indian productions
And the remaining quarter are "classics" in a generous sense of the word, ranging from The Godfather to Benji. :shrug:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 11th, 2018, 6:42 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm
bal3x wrote:
US Netflix currently has 48 movies made before 1980 in their catalogue: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchno ... =1880-1979

12/48 are the WW2 docs (e.g., "Why We Fight" series)
Roughly half are cheap SE Asian/Indian productions
And the remaining quarter are "classics" in a generous sense of the word, ranging from The Godfather to Benji. :shrug:
Yeah, that's a pitiful selection. I was wondering why non-Americans would be pining for access to US Netflix. :mw_confused:
I thrive best hermit-style.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » December 12th, 2018, 12:49 am

Oh dear, so it's even worse than I thought.. oh, well, no point in continuing with a subscription anyway, I'll just watch what I have added to my list and cancel the subscription. The guys needs to step up their game, I realise music and movies are a different business and what Spotify did with music is not easy to do with movies, but still this is rather sad state of affairs as far as availability of legal content is concerned, Geo-restriction is so last century, I don't even understand why it's still a thing in this global environment when people are moving around, working, studying etc. and they need to set up VPN and stuff.

@Knalds, - thanks for the suggestion, but I've read Netflix is targeting VPNs so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, especially since the content is really lacking.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 12th, 2018, 3:41 am

Well, Netflix has realized their money maker is TV - ~2/3 of viewing on their platform is TV, so they focus on that. Even worse, the majority of people watching movies don't care what they're watching, so they don't have to spend big. A few high profile licensing deals (e.g., The Godfather series) is enough to placate most folks.

Personally, the only reason I'm still paying for it is that my parents and grandparents both use my login. But it's high on my list to sub out when there's a better option.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 12th, 2018, 4:20 am

oh god maxwell's gone full Willy Wonka

roll the blueberry outta here!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 12th, 2018, 4:48 am

funkybusiness wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 4:20 am

I'll take Willy Wonka - MUCH better than anything Minions adjacent.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 12th, 2018, 4:59 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 4:48 am
funkybusiness wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 4:20 am

I'll take Willy Wonka - MUCH better than anything Minions adjacent.
I've made avatars for people in the past (see: mightysparks' beautiful space waffle chicken toilet), and my offer is still open, if you're interested. Just list three disparate elements (+ a backup element and/or theme) and I'll work my alchemy.

This offer is open to others as well. First come, first served, delays to be expected &c.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 12th, 2018, 5:25 am

funkybusiness wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 4:59 am
I've made avatars for people in the past (see: mightysparks' beautiful space waffle chicken toilet), and my offer is still open, if you're interested. Just list three disparate elements (+ a backup element and/or theme) and I'll work my alchemy.
Thanks, but I think I'm OK now - the blue doesn't look like a Minion (thank goodness!), and the smiley face is a nice bit of personal irony since I generally want to have the exact opposite expression on my face.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 12th, 2018, 5:34 am

no problem.

and in more on-topic news, TCM is streaming on Roku now. east and west coast feeds + their usual monthly selection of on-demand titles. You have to have TCM thru your cable/satellite provider log-in business but, yeah it's a thing. Basically their website streaming but on a device on your television now.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm

I can't connect to Netflix anymore on my laptop. For some reason it redirects me to a page to ask me to sign in with a google-account. Why is that? It doesn't matter if I turn VPN on or off.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 12th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Never mind. Googling for the loginpage of Netflix brought me to the right place to login with Netflix-account.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 12th, 2018, 10:29 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 9:03 pm
Never mind. Googling for the loginpage of Netflix brought me to the right place to login with Netflix-account.
It could be that Netflix are switching to OAUTH methods for logging in to prevent people from sharing subscriptions.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 4th, 2019, 4:08 am

Just noticed this about Fandor (arrgh):
https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/f ... 203084579/

Meanwhile,
The Criterion Channel will launch April 8 in the U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android devices. Charter subscription brings discounts, weekly movie between now and then, etc.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » February 4th, 2019, 1:05 pm

It does look like Fandor was bought out by some bond stooges though - so they live on for now. But I'm sure they'll just be scrapped in a couple of years as a tax write-off; just as is happening with most companies nowadays.

The Criterion Channel hasn't launched yet, but you can get a free extended trial for signing up now. Plus they have a weekly film available to subscribers leading up to launch.

Per xianjiro's post from a couple years ago:
I know I'm mostly curious if anyone has recommendation of streaming channels - say, a free version of Netflix - that they find useful for finding official checks. I've been looking without much luck.
There's quite a few free options out there for US residents. I'd checkout
Tubi (ad-supported)
Kanopy (library-supported)
Vudu (has quite a few free films)
Roku channel (ad-supported)
Crackle (Sony content, ad-supported)
Yahoo View (AKA ad-supported version of Hulu)
IMDB Freedive (just came out, ad-supported)

Roku has like a million additional ad-supported free channels - like Filmrise - but those all kinda start to blend together and look like Tubi rip-offs.