Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

The Film Lounge

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka »

Hey, hey, hey. National Gallery of Art are showing Joshua Bonnetta's The Two Sights (2020) for free on their website.

https://www.nga.gov/audio-video/film-pr ... ights.html
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Wow, thanks for sharing! Sounds right up my alley. Time to continue my stoner's twilight quest...
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Damn, thanks again for that link, it was fantastic.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

No full list yet, but Kinema Junpo has placed Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Wife of a Spy at #1 on their 2020 Best Ten list.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

One of the biggest gaps in my cultural experiences is that I've never watched Les Miserables. I decided to watch the 1934 Raymond Bernard version because I read it was most faithful to the original novel. I was really impressed by the story, an incredible epic with some really well-done battle sequences. Though I'm sure one of the things that helped is that it's such a long version, clocking in at about 4 hours. It's broken into 3 distinct parts that were meant to be watched over three successive days.

Which makes me wonder about film classification. Why isn't this considered a trilogy? Each part is labelled with a subheading, have a self-contained mini-arc, and have their own credits. Is the difference between this and something like Lord of the Rings just the fact that all the parts were released at the same time?
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Just found out that the masterpiece Ivansxtc came out on bluray a few months ago by the amazing distributor Arrow. I've seen it a few years ago in a pretty bad condition (early dvd rip with a film using digital cameras when they were new), but the bluray makes it look a million times better.

Looks like no one knows this movie and it blows my mind. It's a modern retelling of a Tolstoy novella about a hedonistic as hell guy getting cancer, and eventually having an existential crisis as he comes to terms with it. Danny Huston (John Huston's son) gives one of my all time favourite performances in this.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I don't feel like starting a thread on it, which I have in the past on other forums (maybe here? don't remember, don't care to search) but the Superbowl is on and that means several nwe blockbuster movie commercials. I can't get as motivated to even watch for the commercials this year because I don't know that I'll even get to see any of the blockbusters in the cinema, and that's the only place I usually watch them. Strange I know, I watch the worst movies in the cinema and save the good stuff for home on my little 40" TV but that's what happens in the boonies. Anyways if anybody else has comments on any of the movie ads, I'd love to hear 'em. I'm going to go watch more Roger Corman now, much more fun to watch cars and motorcycles beating on each other than humans.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Not too many so far, at least that I'm aware of. From what I remember, there's been...

Fast & Furious 9 - Basically more of the same. Only seen a few of these & can enjoy them in the right mood, but no way am I risking a trip to the theater for their latest outing. **Maybe** if it's playing at a local drive in, but that's only if I can get a decent/safe sized crew of people together to chortle at the pure ridiculousness of everything.

Nobody - Looks like Bob Odenkirk doing a riff on the whole Death Wish or possibly Taken formula, which was old even when Liam Neeson did it. Could be fun if done in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, but this looks to be taking itself extremely seriously. Probably a pass from me.

Old - Latest from M Night Shyamalan, supposedly based on/inspired by a French Graphic novel. Automatically on board for anything MNS does, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

Raya & the Last Dragon - New Disney animated flick, getting simultaneous online & theatrical release. Looks pretty similar to Moana, though I'm not sure this one is a musical. Will probably give it a watch.

That's all I can think of for now. Unsurprisingly less than previous years, given the COVID of it all.
Last edited by Good_Will_Harding on February 8th, 2021, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sebby

Post by sebby »

I only saw the ad for Old. MNS has had enough of a late career comeback that his name is being attached to movies he makes again (lol). Dialogue was ridiculous but it could be fun if there's some self-aware campiness to it.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:37 am Not too many so far, at least that I'm aware of. From what I remember, there's been...

Fast & Furious 9 - Basically more of the same. Only seen a few of these & can enjoy them in the right mood, but no way am I risking a trip to the theater for their latest outing. **Maybe** if it's playing at a local drive in, but that's only if I can get a decent/safe sized crew of people together to chortle at the pure ridiculousness of everything.

Nobody - Looks like Bob Odenkirk doing a riff on the whole Death Wish or possibly Taken formula, which was old even when Liam Neeson did it. Could be fun if done in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, but this looks to be taking itself extremely seriously. Probably a pass from me.

Old - Latest from M Night Shyamalan, supposedly based on/inspired by a French Graphic novel. Automatically on board for anything MNS does, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

Raya & the Last Dragon - New Disney animated flick, getting simultaneous online & theatrical release. Looks pretty similar to Moana, though I'm not sure this one is a musical. Will probably give it a watch.

That's all I can think of for now. Unsurprisingly less than previous years, given the COVID of it all.
There's also Disney+ Marvel series The Falcon & the Winter Soldier and Coming 2 America, the sequel of the 1988 film.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

dirty_score wrote: February 8th, 2021, 11:39 am
Good_Will_Harding wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:37 am Not too many so far, at least that I'm aware of. From what I remember, there's been...

There's also Disney+ Marvel series The Falcon & the Winter Soldier and Coming 2 America, the sequel of the 1988 film.
Pretty dire prospects. Out of all of those, the Shyamalan film is the only one I have a little interest in.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Thanks guys. Uggh, the kinds of films that get promoted at this event every year seem to get worse and worse don't they? That said I'm sure I'll see Fast and Furious 9 on video - I've seen the whole series - but there's nothing here that looks worth risking disease to see in the cinema, even if any of the theaters located less than 1 hour from me were open, which they're not. I suspect it'll be well into summer before I see something on the big screen again, and I'm pretty sure this has already been my longest drought since...1976? When I was 10-11? Yeesh.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Given the rise of social media the best film I have seen recently is the unintended comedy meeting of the Handforth Parish Council via Zoom seen on YouTube. It deserves an award. If you have not seen it, give it a try. Someone has even done a musical version.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Anyone on here who struggles with his own ratings for past movies ?

I only started getting into cinephilia in 2018 and in the first year I was very generous because of all the new amazing stuff being thrown right at me. Lately I have been going through my ratings and saw some movies I rated 10/10 which I think wouldn't get that score if I watched them right now. Capturing the Friedmans (2003), Some Like It Hot (1959), Moonrise Kingdom (2012) being some examples of this.

On the other hand I have been rating movies an 8 or 9/10 which if I had seen them earlier, would've been a 10: thinking about Dancer in the Dark (2000), Local Hero (1983), La pianiste (2001)

Do you think it's okay to rescore your past watchings without rewatching them ? I know it's all personal but what are your reasonings behind either allowing this or not ... I'm curious
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

I have the same issue, there are films I gave a high rating about 10 years ago that wouldn't pass the 5/10 threshold nowadays (because my rating system changed and my taste evolved). I'll spot those when I'm ranking director's filmography, if I see a rating that's way off, I'll change it if I remember enough of the film. If not I'll just take off one or two points.

I never had the issue of giving a film a higher rating after a few years based on my memories. If I think I was too harsh I'll just rewatch it and see.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I put more trust in the rating of my past self than in my memories of a film. Then again my taste is pretty stable and I have a routine of rewatching old favorites, so that makes things easier.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Coryn wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:51 am Anyone on here who struggles with his own ratings for past movies ?

Do you think it's okay to rescore your past watchings without rewatching them ? I know it's all personal but what are your reasonings behind either allowing this or not ... I'm curious
Yes, before ICM was also pretty generous after having finished film school. A decade later, my tastes changed a lot so I started to rewatch stuff, mainly childhood favorites to see if they still hold up. Most of them don't.

I think it's okay to rescore/reevalute your past watchings without rewatching them, if you still have a good recollection of it, otherwise I suggest rewatching. But there's a catch: rewatching old stuff can make you like less an old favorite childhood movie, for instance.

"Who framed Roger Rabbit" used to be a favorite of mine as a kid. Upon rewatching as an adult I couldn't stand the movie with all the shouting and non-sense. I do understand its place in pop-culture and one of the few movies that mix live-action with animation well.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

@clem

There are some movies (Local Hero being a great example) I have thought of basicly every day since I watched it and that makes me want to give it a 10 instead of its current 9.

@dirty_score

I do have a good recollection so I'm going to do a thorough evaluation of my top rated movies.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

The Oscar shortlist is out for 9 categories: https://www.oscars.org/oscars/93rd-oscars-shortlists

The most important being: Best "International" Feature Film
Bosnia and Herzegovina, “Quo Vadis, Aida?”
Chile, “The Mole Agent”
Czech Republic, “Charlatan”
Denmark, “Another Round”
France, “Two of Us”
Guatemala, “La Llorona”
Hong Kong, “Better Days”
Iran, “Sun Children”
Ivory Coast, “Night of the Kings”
Mexico, “I’m No Longer Here”
Norway, “Hope”
Romania, “Collective”
Russia, “Dear Comrades!”
Taiwan, “A Sun”
Tunisia, “The Man Who Sold His Skin”
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

What drives me bananas about the Oscars every year is how the Documentary and Short Subject categories are so overwhelmingly focused on what the right calls "virtue-signaling." Always about commending whatever ponderous humanitarian issue the filmmaker chose to be concerned about.

"Issues" in the Documentary Short category: abortion, Mexican deportees, Nazis, Black history, protests in China, starvation in Yemen, race violence...

"Issues" in the Documentary Feature category: health care in Romania, disabled teenagers, race-biased jail sentence, COVID, LGBTQ, war in the Middle East, Martin Luther King, elder abuse...

There are some exceptions ("The Painter and the Thief" sounds interesting), but watch those films get eliminated from the final nominee list.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Oscar winners for Best Documentary in the past decade include two sports docs, three music documentaries, and a documentary about free solo climbing.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Coryn wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:09 pm @clem

There are some movies (Local Hero being a great example) I have thought of basicly every day since I watched it and that makes me want to give it a 10 instead of its current 9.

@dirty_score

I do have a good recollection so I'm going to do a thorough evaluation of my top rated movies.
To each their own - if you want to rerate to recalibrate your scale, by all means do so.

Personally, I don't. That's because I have a very specific scale I'm using and have used it consistently since I started rating. I'm also slightly obsessed with psychometrics and rating systems, so that's also why I'm hesitant to rerate on memory.

Of course, back when I was teaching, I'd do that all the time. You start grading a paper/assignment, realize after a while that you were grading in not the best way, then I'd go back and re-evaluate. As you're settling into your personal rating scale, definitely readjust.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Ebbywebby wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:21 pm What drives me bananas about the Oscars every year is how the Documentary and Short Subject categories are so overwhelmingly focused on what the right calls "virtue-signaling." Always about commending whatever ponderous humanitarian issue the filmmaker chose to be concerned about.

"Issues" in the Documentary Short category: abortion, Mexican deportees, Nazis, Black history, protests in China, starvation in Yemen, race violence...

"Issues" in the Documentary Feature category: health care in Romania, disabled teenagers, race-biased jail sentence, COVID, LGBTQ, war in the Middle East, Martin Luther King, elder abuse...

There are some exceptions ("The Painter and the Thief" sounds interesting), but watch those films get eliminated from the final nominee list.
I don't think anyone will deny that the Oscars have a history of caring about political signalling over quality, but humanitarian issues =//= virtue signalling, especially if simply about "whatever ponderous humanitarian issue the filmmaker chose to be concerned about".

Critiquing the selection of documentaries based on a large number of them being topical strikes me as misplaced frustration though. Especially as you seem to write off the films based solely on having potentially topical issues. And let's be honest, is Healthcare in Romania or Teenagers with Disabilities really topics of virtue signalling?

Or more importantly, would it not be odder/more frustrating if a large number of documentaries were not about key topical issue - while another set tried to raise additional issues into the zeitgeist?

If anything this could be seen more as a commentary on how the Oscars have a more limited view on what documentaries are, seeing them as ways to inform or raise issues as opposed to being pieces of art, but having fairly conservative/traditionalist views on cinema is rather the hallmark of all categories at the Oscars regardless.

I'm generally not interested in the type of documentaries the Academy highlights, so I can't really comment on them, but one of my favourite films from 2019, Honeyland, was nominated just last year - and it is just a beautiful, cinematic tale of an aging beekeeper and trouble that starts when new neighbours move in (not seen any of the others).

Adding to that, I think outdoorcats added quite a nice counter facts, showcasing that the interest in issue signalling may be much smaller than you think, given films like Searching for Sugar Man, Free Solo (not seen), etc. The only other winner I have seen from the last decade is O.J.: Made in America, which is topical in that it investigates racial relatiiescin America, and O. J.s work to be accepted in White America, but it truly is a thoroughly fascinating and epic essay film - and seeing an essayesque film win is incredible (it is also a great film IMO).

TL:DR It seems far more natural that topical issues are documented and cacthes the spotlight than vice versa.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Did anyone catch this amazing skit?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Casino Royale, by far the worst Bond of the franchise, is on 8 official lists, exceeding most (if not all) other Bond films. Goes to show how serious one has to take these lists. People worry about Ghostbusters and Oceans Eleven franchises being ripped apart by PC, but when they tore all the fun, joy and entertainment out of the Bond series people would just applaud and call it the future of Bond?

Calling it more serious and more raw is like calling the North Pole more tropical than outer space. It's not technically wrong, but it's missing the point a bit. Utterly dull, boring and overly long.
JW1996

Post by JW1996 »

Onderhond wrote: February 13th, 2021, 12:07 pm Casino Royale, by far the worst Bond of the franchise, is on 8 official lists, exceeding most (if not all) other Bond films. Goes to show how serious one has to take these lists. People worry about Ghostbusters and Oceans Eleven franchises being ripped apart by PC, but when they tore all the fun, joy and entertainment out of the Bond series people would just applaud and call it the future of Bond?

Calling it more serious and more raw is like calling the North Pole more tropical than outer space. It's not technically wrong, but it's missing the point a bit. Utterly dull, boring and overly long.
According to Rotten tomato, CASINO ROYALE (2006) is ranked 2nd while the 1967 version is ranked #26.
I personally love the oldest Bond films. There is something magical in them. :rolleyes:
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Not to interfere with today's reading from the Gospel of Onderhond, but I thought Casino Royale (2006) was surprisingly good. Didn't enjoy any of the subsequent Bonds as much.

I'm not sure what I'd rank as the worst Bond...something from the Pierce Brosnan era. I can't distinguish them in memory.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Yeah, Casino Royal is not great, but easily among the better Bond films.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: February 13th, 2021, 8:39 pm Yeah, Casino Royal is not great, but easily among the better Bond films.
Well, maybe you also think Nolan's Batman films are among the better in the franchise, and we have a pattern there :)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Onderhond wrote: February 13th, 2021, 9:48 pm
St. Gloede wrote: February 13th, 2021, 8:39 pm Yeah, Casino Royal is not great, but easily among the better Bond films.
Well, maybe you also think Nolan's Batman films are among the better in the franchise, and we have a pattern there :)
I haven't seen any of the Batman films since, nor the 40s or 60s versions so I can't really comment on that. :lol:

However, they are better than all the other DC films I have seen, with possible exception of Burton's Batman Returns.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: February 13th, 2021, 9:57 pm However, they are better than all the other DC films I have seen, with possible exception of Burton's Batman Returns.
Myeah, I'm a bit allergic to the half-hearted attempts of turning silly entertainment into more gritty and serious films. It's somewhat of a 00s trend I think, can't think of anything good that has come out of it.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I quite enjoyed the trend myself - not sure what you mean by good coming from it, but I think the phenomenon in itself was one of the best things to happen in mainstream cinema. It was such a great breath of fresh air - coupled with wonderful misanthropy, and familiarizing mainstream audiences with darker themes, emotions and experiences.

If anything the good that came from it was that more gritty medium projects were greenlit. Not sure if many of them were that great, but a welcome change that what they were putting out before - and I do think it is a shame it disappeared so quickly - but then I just generally like grittiness more than the alternatives. Not as enthused now as when it first occurred (I was hoping it would usher back a wave of 70s grit - which I was a particularly big fan of at the time - obviously Peckinpah, Frankenheimer, etc. were among my favourite directors at the time - but of course, that did not happen).
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Onderhond wrote: February 13th, 2021, 10:33 pm
St. Gloede wrote: February 13th, 2021, 9:57 pm However, they are better than all the other DC films I have seen, with possible exception of Burton's Batman Returns.
Myeah, I'm a bit allergic to the half-hearted attempts of turning silly entertainment into more gritty and serious films. It's somewhat of a 00s trend I think, can't think of anything good that has come out of it.
Agreed that efforts to give grit and serious dramatic heft to goofy superhumans in costumes is an asinine trend in general, but I do love Casino Royale and The Dark Knight (and Joker for a more recent example). But I think part of the problem is that somehow this nerdy children's entertainment now completely dominates the box office, and is the only means to explore any kind of stories for a wide audience. So we still have the likes of Shazam and Sonic, but we also have the MCU trying to fashion poignant ambitious tales around what Scorsese hilariously called these theme park movies, because apparently there's not a wide audience for poignant ambitious tales about anything else anymore anymore.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: February 14th, 2021, 12:36 am I quite enjoyed the trend myself - not sure what you mean by good coming from it, but I think the phenomenon in itself was one of the best things to happen in mainstream cinema. It was such a great breath of fresh air - coupled with wonderful misanthropy, and familiarizing mainstream audiences with darker themes, emotions and experiences.
I just meant films I liked. Not quite sure what it did for humanity :D

As for grit, I don't really mind it, I just don't really like half work I guess. And since this all happened in Hollywood and it had to stay within the confines of easily marketable cinema, I just felt more was lost (i.e. fun entertainment) than gained. Putting it like that, it maybe also ties in with just about every comedy becoming a dramedy in the past 10-15 years.
prodigalgodson wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:29 am Agreed that efforts to give grit and serious dramatic heft to goofy superhumans in costumes is an asinine trend in general, but I do love Casino Royale and The Dark Knight (and Joker for a more recent example). But I think part of the problem is that somehow this nerdy children's entertainment now completely dominates the box office, and is the only means to explore any kind of stories for a wide audience. So we still have the likes of Shazam and Sonic, but we also have the MCU trying to fashion poignant ambitious tales around what Scorsese hilariously called these theme park movies, because apparently there's not a wide audience for poignant ambitious tales about anything else anymore anymore.
The only upside for me is that I never really depended on movie theaters for good films, I've always found plenty of things to enjoy. It's just that the filler and hype stuff got a lot less fun over the years. I guess Joker is a good recent example. Or something like Logan.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Do people know the MUBI site is free viewing, just for today? Didn't see any mention of this.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I had no idea. Wish I had known earlier, no chance now. :(
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

St. Gloede wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:15 pm I had no idea. Wish I had known earlier, no chance now. :(
I already watched the new Yanthimos short "Nimic." Now I'm into "Eccentricities of a Blonde-Haired Girl." If I really go nuts with it, I'll also finish "Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania," "Tarr Bela: I Used to Be a Filmmaker" and something by Zanussi ("Illumination" or "Family Life"?) today. But I may burn out on watching that much.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

If you want to watch free longer, you can use this link for a free trial:
https://mubi.com/t/web/global/EU7nZXXh
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

St. Gloede wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:15 pm I had no idea. Wish I had known earlier, no chance now. :(
You might still have time for Guy Maddin's fun new short Stump the Guesser. Recommend!
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Stump the Guesser isn't available for streaming, as far as I can tell?