Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The Film Lounge

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 13th, 2020, 3:05 pm

I don't know who those people are.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » April 13th, 2020, 3:18 pm

I really can't tell if that's a troll because it happened on another forum.

It's Tarkovsky's Solaris

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » April 13th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Ah, I recognize it now.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » April 22nd, 2020, 2:44 am

Trolls World Tour was a hit, so now Scoob! is going direct to Video on Demand. It was one thing with Trolls, which was not a box office sure thing and made sense to find a larger audience by capitalizing on everybody's kids being stuck at home, but although Scoob! is theoretically for the same audience, it was likely to be a big box office hit. If it proves to be a big success, it could radically change the way films are released and prove devastating to the already wounded movie theaters. Ruh-roh.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » April 22nd, 2020, 1:00 pm

Trolls World Tour would still be a hit if we were in normal times, because the first one was a hit. It would probably have made less money. Now, they took advantage of quarantine and made good money with it, hence the reason why WB will bet on Scoob! Heck, even Netflix is releasing The Willoughbys which will come in handy for people with kids.

But I don't see no change in the process that was already, well... in process, meaning, going to the movie theatres will be only for "event" films such as blockbusters or popular movies with less budget but respectable actors or directors. There will be also few select theatres to premiere arthouse and indie movies.

The truth is, as painfully sometimes the cinema experience is and with the advent of streaming platforms, people prefer to stay at home. Not to mention that nowadays you can 'build' your own cinema at home.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 22nd, 2020, 10:41 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 1:22 am
Ava Gardner while filming Mogambo:
Frank Sinatra had come to Africa to be with her, and when Ford introduced her to the British governor of Uganda and his wife, Ford said, “Ava, why don’t you tell the governor what you see in this one-hundred-twenty-pound runt you’re married to.” “Well,” she replied, “there’s only ten pounds of Frank but there’s a hundred-ten pounds of cock.”

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » April 24th, 2020, 12:10 pm

In case anyone is interested (it's free; you just have to register). This is right up the street from me every year normally, but they are virtual this year: https://ivyfilmfestival2020.org/

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 27th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Also in virtual festivals:

https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/canne ... -festival/

could be good, will keep eye out for lineup

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 27th, 2020, 6:32 pm

brokenface wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Also in virtual festivals:

https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/canne ... -festival/

could be good, will keep eye out for lineup
Yeah this could potentially be really, really cool. Just subscribed to the YouTube channel for this so that I don't forget.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 27th, 2020, 10:16 pm

We thought of it first! ;)

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 28th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Not sure if it's just me or something weird going on with IMDB, but I'm not seeing my most recent ratings (I've always had them public) on my IMDB profile page. Tested some other IMDB profiles of people who I know have typically had public ratings, and their recent ratings aren't showing up either.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 29th, 2020, 6:05 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 7:04 pm
Not sure if it's just me or something weird going on with IMDB, but I'm not seeing my most recent ratings (I've always had them public) on my IMDB profile page. Tested some other IMDB profiles of people who I know have typically had public ratings, and their recent ratings aren't showing up either.
No problem with my ratings.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 29th, 2020, 6:33 am

joachimt wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 6:05 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
I searched around the forum to find your IMDb profile...found it, and your ratings aren’t visible to others (have you had them set to public?). Someone else brought up this issue on another forum and everyone responding had the same issue. If your ratings are set to public (as mine are), your profile page should show your five most recently rated titles, but they’re not showing up as they’re supposed to (checked plenty of other people’s profiles who have their ratings set to public). I can still click to see ALL of my ratings though. But for the last 24 hours or so that I’ve checked, public ratings aren’t visible on other people’s profiles that you try to view.

Try clicking my IMDB profile link below, if you wanna check.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 29th, 2020, 7:30 am

Looks like they've changed something, when I click on my profile I get a 'profile checklist' and 'make ratings public' and 'rate some titles' are shown in error. I can't click on the make ratings public link. I already have mine set to public and when I try to re-save that option it doesn't change anything.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 29th, 2020, 8:12 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 6:33 am
joachimt wrote:
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
I searched around the forum to find your IMDb profile...found it, and your ratings aren’t visible to others (have you had them set to public?). Someone else brought up this issue on another forum and everyone responding had the same issue. If your ratings are set to public (as mine are), your profile page should show your five most recently rated titles, but they’re not showing up as they’re supposed to (checked plenty of other people’s profiles who have their ratings set to public). I can still click to see ALL of my ratings though. But for the last 24 hours or so that I’ve checked, public ratings aren’t visible on other people’s profiles that you try to view.

When I click on your profile, I can't click on the button "ratings".
You said "I'm not seeing my most recent ratings". What do you mean by that? When I go to my ratings everything looks fine to me. Or do you mean your most recent ratings were shown on your profile page? I never go to my profile page, so I didn't notice anything changed. My ratings say they are set to public, but if you indeed can't see them, something's up indeed.
ICM-profile

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 29th, 2020, 12:34 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:12 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 6:33 am
joachimt wrote:

When I click on your profile, I can't click on the button "ratings".
You said "I'm not seeing my most recent ratings". What do you mean by that? When I go to my ratings everything looks fine to me. Or do you mean your most recent ratings were shown on your profile page? I never go to my profile page, so I didn't notice anything changed. My ratings say they are set to public, but if you indeed can't see them, something's up indeed.
Yes, the bold part - on your actual profile page, not your Ratings page, that's where your last 5 rated films would always show up, and they're not showing up. You can still access your overall ratings, yes. So there's that relatively minor (but still annoying to me) issue, and then the more annoying issue to me that you can't see other people's ratings AT ALL, even if they have them set to public.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 29th, 2020, 12:38 pm

mightysparks wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 7:30 am
Looks like they've changed something, when I click on my profile I get a 'profile checklist' and 'make ratings public' and 'rate some titles' are shown in error. I can't click on the make ratings public link. I already have mine set to public and when I try to re-save that option it doesn't change anything.
Yep, that's part of this issue too, seems it's affecting every IMDB profile. Been over 24 hours since I first noticed these issues...starting to wonder now if I should still keep calling them (temporary) "issues," or if they need to be called (permanent) "changes." :(

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Traveller

Post by Traveller » April 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:38 pm
mightysparks wrote:
Yep, that's part of this issue too, seems it's affecting every IMDB profile. Been over 24 hours since I first noticed these issues...starting to wonder now if I should still keep calling them (temporary) "issues," or if they need to be called (permanent) "changes." :(
While I don’t doubt that IMDb makes stupid decisions (and making this a permanent change would be one), what mightysparks pointed out points more toward it being a problem. Also, is there no other way to access the statistics that were displayed on the right on the profile page (seen films sorted by genre and year as well as average rating per year)?
ICM
August Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 29th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Traveller wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:38 pm
mightysparks wrote:
While I don’t doubt that IMDb makes stupid decisions (and making this a permanent change would be one), what mightysparks pointed out points more toward it being a problem. Also, is there no other way to access the statistics that were displayed on the right on the profile page (seen films sorted by genre and year as well as average rating per year)?
Right, those stats on the right side of one’s profile page, and the graph showing your ratings distribution, are no longer visible. And I’m not aware of another way to find that stuff.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 30th, 2020, 12:31 am

Regarding the last few posts above, thankfully everything is back to normal with IMDB profile pages.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » April 30th, 2020, 1:37 am

Only odd behavior I've noticed is that when I visit my profile page on IMDB a message pops up asking me why I haven't re-watched Inception yet.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 30th, 2020, 11:29 am

I'm running into some very weird sex scenes lately. Yesterday I watched Tromeo & Juliet, which really fits its place on the weird movies list.

Just now I ran into this:

ICM-profile

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 30th, 2020, 12:06 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:29 am
I'm running into some very weird sex scenes lately. Yesterday I watched Tromeo & Juliet, which really fits its place on the weird movies list.

Just now I ran into this:

Southland Tales, right?

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 30th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Indeed. Southland Tales could very well be on the weird list too. Not just for the car sex.
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 30th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Keep meaning to re-watch that. One of those films that is definitely trying to do lots of... things, but on a first viewing it really didn't work for me much. I think I need to have a day of "everything but the kitchen sink" films, which would include at the least Southland Tales, Magnolia and The Fifth Element. Only seen each one once, when new, and only really liked Magnolia. If I hadn't just seen it Hausu would be another great example. Other suggestions?

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » April 30th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Happiness of the Katikuris

--

Southland Tales is going to be put out by Arrow Video, maybe it'll get its cult reevaluation. Don't remember liking it much but I saw it soon after release and was probably just after another Donnie Darko at that time.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 30th, 2020, 3:55 pm

brokenface wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Happiness of the Katikuris
Seconded. Watched it again not too long ago and there is so much random in there :D

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 30th, 2020, 5:09 pm

brokenface wrote:
Happiness of the Katakuris

--
Thirded!

If you're region-free, Arrow regularly has it on sale on blu-ray for somewhere in £5-10 range.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 30th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 5:09 pm
brokenface wrote:
Happiness of the Katakuris

--
Thirded!

If you're region-free, Arrow regularly has it on sale on blu-ray for somewhere in £5-10 range.
Never upgraded to region-free unfortunately - and am unlikely to in the near future - but I think I have a decent-looking copy of that somewhere. Seems like a good rec.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 1st, 2020, 8:06 pm

Does anyone know/understand why most streaming services don't offer a list of all available content somewhere in their app or website? Most of them look like the example from Netflix below. You can browse some recs for genres or recs because you watched something else. You often have some "recently added", but that's far from completely most of the time. I can't think of any logical reason why there shouldn't be a page somewhere that just lists all content alphabetically.

ICM-profile

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 1st, 2020, 8:28 pm

If you want something specific, you can search. If you want to browse they prefer you browse like this because:
1. They want to show you the best/most popular/what they think you'll like/what they got paid to promote because it gives a better impression in their eyes
2. It gives a sense of "there are all these hidden films I might find" whereas a clear listing makes it easier to see how much garbage filler they have.
3. In an exhaustive list it's easier to know the thing you want isn't there. If you have to search and browse in obtuse ways well they hope you'll stumble on something else and forget about the thing they don't have.

There are no good reasons, only marketing and business reasons. Same as why a lot of these services won't let you see what they have without signing up.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 1st, 2020, 8:30 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:28 pm
There are no good reasons, only marketing and business reasons.
I could have expected this answer......
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 1st, 2020, 8:35 pm

Yeah Peaceful probably gets at most of it. Also everything is oriented primarily if not exclusively to phone users now, and I'm sure the presumption is that people would rather scroll through a bunch of pictures one after another on a small screen then be presented with a list in small type. As to why they can't even give you that option, I dunno, but there it is. I notice IMDb went to the nothing-but-pictures format on it's main page a few weeks or maybe a couple of months ago. Hate it, but that's the way everything MUST be now, just pictures and promotions of stuff Joe Average wants to see.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 1st, 2020, 9:39 pm

Not everything, but you can force it to display everything for a genre by sorting alphabetically... e.g., for comedies: https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/6548?so=az

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » May 1st, 2020, 9:53 pm

I was frustrated with this as well but found quite a useful solution via letterboxd after it recently partnered with justwatch. I exported my imdb watchlist of over 6000 titles (when will I ever find the time?!) to my letterboxd watchlist. In the letterboxd app/website you can select which streaming services are available to you. You can then filter your watchlist to only show films which are available on the streaming services you use. Out of the 6000 on my watchlist it has narrowed these down to 650 available to me for free on amazon prime/Netflix/bbciplayer etc... and I can filter these further by genre, decade or sort by rating/runtime.

I know this isn't exactly what you are after, and I'm not sure if this is something that would be useful to you? I refer to it almost every time I select a film to watch and it updates close to real time with new additions/removals. I can't imagine how I got by without it now but I don't need to browse streaming platforms ever again as I can just refer to my list on letterboxd that displays all in one place.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 1st, 2020, 10:04 pm

Like it or not, most streaming services aren't geared towards film fans, instead they shoot for "regular viewers". People who want to choose from a couple of "tailored" choices, not scroll through or filter an endless list of titles. Of course these streaming services could make more of an effort to provide for the people like us, but it's not like we're not joining because of this, so why bother?

Related (but not quite the same): I remember Netflix ditched their API because it was mostly used to figure out which films were disappearing, which gave off a negative vibe. I'm actually more bothered by the fact that none of these services have a decent chronological listing of newly added content. But yeah, most of it has to do with perception and easy of choice. For the average viewer that is.

Then again, these services usually have such a limited library that looking for specific films isn't really worth it anyway. Better to keep track of new additions and add the interesting-looking ones to your watchlist.