Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

The Film Lounge

Post Reply
User avatar
insomnius
Posts: 736
Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Location: Stockholm
Contact:

Re: The Film Lounge

#18961

Post by insomnius » March 5th, 2020, 1:20 pm

"No Time to Die". How ironic.

User avatar
dinah
Posts: 21
Joined: Mar 04, 2020
Contact:

#18962

Post by dinah » March 5th, 2020, 2:10 pm

cinewest wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 1:18 pm
Here are a couple of lists featuring contemporary South Korean cinema:

https://www.highonfilms.com/the-best-korean-movies/

http://www.modernkoreancinema.com/2019/ ... 2010s.html

I actually forgot about Pieta (2012), by Kim Ki-duk, which I liked a lot
How is Parasite not on the highonfilms.com list? Not even as an honorable mention, which itself would have been ridiculous enough?
Some interesting looking titles on both lists, though, that I wasn't aware of.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8418
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#18963

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 5th, 2020, 2:46 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 11:15 pm
The upcoming James Bond film, No Time to Die, has its release pushed back from April to November amid concerns about how coronavirus could negatively affect cinema-going worldwide. Will be interesting to see if other upcoming major films follow suit.
I thought Disney also postponed the release of the new live-action version of Mulan, at least in China.

User avatar
dinah
Posts: 21
Joined: Mar 04, 2020
Contact:

#18964

Post by dinah » March 5th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 2:46 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 11:15 pm
The upcoming James Bond film, No Time to Die, has its release pushed back from April to November amid concerns about how coronavirus could negatively affect cinema-going worldwide. Will be interesting to see if other upcoming major films follow suit.
I thought Disney also postponed the release of the new live-action version of Mulan, at least in China.
They did. Chinese New Year releases were scrapped too.

User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

#18965

Post by Mothravka » March 5th, 2020, 5:04 pm

dinah wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 2:10 pm
How is Parasite not on the highonfilms.com list? Not even as an honorable mention, which itself would have been ridiculous enough?
Some interesting looking titles on both lists, though, that I wasn't aware of.
I think it's because the one who did the list didn't like it enough or didn't see it at the time the list was made and thus didn't have an opinion on it. Nothing of those two options seem ridiculous to me.

User avatar
dinah
Posts: 21
Joined: Mar 04, 2020
Contact:

#18966

Post by dinah » March 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Mothravka wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 5:04 pm
I think it's because the one who did the list didn't like it enough or didn't see it at the time the list was made and thus didn't have an opinion on it. Nothing of those two options seem ridiculous to me.
Not liking a movie is certainly within anyone's prerogative, though I find that rather hard to believe in this case.
Publishing a best-of-the-decade list, on the other hand, without having seen a clear contender (based both on the director's general acclaim and the critical response the film had already received at the time) for said list would be rather ridiculous in my opinion.

User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

#18967

Post by Mothravka » March 5th, 2020, 7:26 pm

dinah wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm
Not liking a movie is certainly within anyone's prerogative, though I find that rather hard to believe in this case.
Publishing a best-of-the-decade list, on the other hand, without having seen a clear contender (based both on the director's general acclaim and the critical response the film had already received at the time) for said list would be rather ridiculous in my opinion.
Well, a couple of clicks later on the site indicates that the one who wrote the article has seen it and liked it, but I can't tell when they did it.

It wasn't released on physical media at the time (late September last year) and mostly had festival screenings and smaller showings in a couple of countries. I know it was on Korean VOD by then, but I can't remember it being officially streamed anywhere else. And if you don't pirate, it doesn't seem too odd not having seen it then.

The article writer clearly likes Bong Joon-ho though, as the list has three of his films on it. So it could be that too, that they don't think Parasite (2019) is as good as the other three that are listed. But you are of course still free to think that all of it is ridiculous, I was just trying to guess why it wasn't there.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1280
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#18968

Post by cinewest » March 6th, 2020, 2:39 am

dinah wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 2:10 pm
cinewest wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 1:18 pm
Here are a couple of lists featuring contemporary South Korean cinema:

https://www.highonfilms.com/the-best-korean-movies/

http://www.modernkoreancinema.com/2019/ ... 2010s.html

I actually forgot about Pieta (2012), by Kim Ki-duk, which I liked a lot
How is Parasite not on the highonfilms.com list? Not even as an honorable mention, which itself would have been ridiculous enough?
Some interesting looking titles on both lists, though, that I wasn't aware of.
Parasite is #1 on one of the lists, and probably wasn't seen before the other was made.
Last edited by cinewest on March 6th, 2020, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30236
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#18969

Post by mightysparks » March 6th, 2020, 5:22 am

Is there any way to export your IMDb watchlist?
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7784
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#18970

Post by maxwelldeux » March 6th, 2020, 5:35 am

mightysparks wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 5:22 am
Is there any way to export your IMDb watchlist?
I *think* if you create a new blank list, when you go to your IMDB Watchlist and click "Edit", you can select everything and copy it to that other list, then export the other list. I don't see an obvious way to do it directly.

EDIT: Or, you know, scroll to the bottom of your Watchlist and click the "Export this list" link. :facepalm:

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30236
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#18971

Post by mightysparks » March 6th, 2020, 8:00 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 5:35 am
mightysparks wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 5:22 am
Is there any way to export your IMDb watchlist?
I *think* if you create a new blank list, when you go to your IMDB Watchlist and click "Edit", you can select everything and copy it to that other list, then export the other list. I don't see an obvious way to do it directly.

EDIT: Or, you know, scroll to the bottom of your Watchlist and click the "Export this list" link. :facepalm:
Lol, well I missed it too, I never scroll to the bottom.. it’s pretty sneaky but thanks for finding :thumbsup:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

blocho
Donator
Posts: 2853
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#18972

Post by blocho » March 14th, 2020, 2:11 am

This is really random. I came across this making-of featurette on No Country for Old Men, and it really did not go how I expected. Hilarious.


User avatar
Chilton
Posts: 509
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
Contact:

#18973

Post by Chilton » March 16th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Short film festivals all over unite and have started organising the online "My Darling Quarantine Short Film Festival". Seven free dystopian shorts every week and an audience award at the end. If you're interested, you can also donate something, 50% goes to Doctors without Borders, the other 50% to the cultural institutions involved.

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13306
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#18974

Post by brokenface » March 19th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Cannes has been delayed. Along with every major release planned for the next two months.

Slightly amusing that The New Mutants among them. This was shot in summer 2017 and has had about four delayed release dates already. Think they should just take a hint and go straight to video.

Imagine Avatar 2 will get pushed back another few years also

blocho
Donator
Posts: 2853
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#18975

Post by blocho » March 23rd, 2020, 5:09 pm

I recommend this recently published interview with Werner Herzog. The interlocutor is David Marchese, who did that fantastic interview with Nicolas Cage a few months ago.

Here are a few Herzogisms from the interview:

"Now we are taking a very close look at the sun with a space probe. Look at the utmost hostility of the hundreds of millions of atomic bombs going off at the same time in its interior."

"Did Michelangelo give us fake news? Defraud us? Lie to us? I’m doing exactly the same."

"I advise you to sniff butyric acid. You’ll know why it makes the chemists lyrical."

User avatar
Lilarcor
Donator
Posts: 2832
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Contact:

#18976

Post by Lilarcor » March 23rd, 2020, 6:34 pm



I highly recommend Disorder (2009)
https://ovid.tv/details/_1949769073001


dirty_score
Posts: 286
Joined: Oct 10, 2016
Contact:

#18978

Post by dirty_score » March 24th, 2020, 5:48 pm

SXSW Film Festival Unveils 2020 Winners After Cancellation:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/sxsw ... 203543164/

Do you think Cannes will follow suit?

User avatar
outdoorcats
Posts: 966
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#18979

Post by outdoorcats » March 24th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Perhaps. I think they'll just delay it to July/August.

Speaking of Cannes, am I the last person to know that Shrek AND Shrek 2 competed at Cannes? That's bizarre.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

User avatar
clemmetarey
Donator
Posts: 2298
Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Contact:

#18980

Post by clemmetarey » March 24th, 2020, 7:55 pm

dirty_score wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 5:48 pm
Do you think Cannes will follow suit?
Yes, they announced it on March 20th. A postpone til late june was mentioned, but I think it's very unlikely.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30911
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18981

Post by joachimt » March 24th, 2020, 7:56 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 7:19 pm
Speaking of Cannes, am I the last person to know that Shrek AND Shrek 2 competed at Cannes? That's bizarre.
Nope, didn't know that as well.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 1103
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#18982

Post by Coryn » March 25th, 2020, 9:53 pm

@blueboybob
@tim2460

Is APEX: The Secret Race Across America (2019) worth a watch ?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8792630/

Can't make up anything really from the trailer and saw you 2 checked it off on ICM.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
outdoorcats
Posts: 966
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#18983

Post by outdoorcats » March 27th, 2020, 9:30 pm

My local arthouse (Philadelphia Film Society) is selling "virtual tickets" (in other words, streaming with rental periods) films they would ordinarily be showing. Which means as far as I can tell at least U.S. viewers all over will have early access to some big arthouse titles (not sure about other countries). They're currently streaming Bacurau, The Wild Goose Lake, The Whistlers, Corpus Christi, Zombi Child, and Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band. Pretty stacked titles if you ask me.

(Warning! The description for Bacurau in this link is extremely spoiler heavy! I recommend not reading it)
http://filmadelphia.org/nowstreaming/

The Wild Goose Lake is cinematic perfection IMO. Every shot individually deserves to hang in a gallery and repeat on loop. It might be the best neo-noir ever made (I'm not kidding). Warning that it does contain scenes of sexual violence which are quite ugly, but it takes place in a very ugly world.

Bacurau is an awesome genre exercise, a throwback to the style of late '70s-early '80s genre thrillers which replaces those films' typically right-wing politics with radical left wing ones and an "eat the rich" message. It also lets itself sprawl in a way most thrillers don't, a bit novelistic, slowly introducing the small remote town and all of its unique residents in a long buildup before they are besieged by mysterious forces. But when the action does happen it is, as expected, as angry as it is badass and set to a pulsing John Carpenter-style synth score. '80s throwback media is dime a dozen nowadays but this one really stands apart as something completely unique. Also some of us will appreciate how matter of factly and casually queer, trans and gender non-binary characters are featured in this one.

The Whistlers is a first for Porumboiu, the director of Police, Adjective, a film with an actual plot and not just a parody of one. It's an honest to goodness neo-noir but still presented in Porumboiu's signature deadpan comedic style. The international locales provide the film with some stunning vistas and beautiful cinematography that one doesn't normally associate with his films.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1280
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#18984

Post by cinewest » March 28th, 2020, 8:20 am

outdoorcats wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 9:30 pm
My local arthouse (Philadelphia Film Society) is selling "virtual tickets" (in other words, streaming with rental periods) films they would ordinarily be showing. Which means as far as I can tell at least U.S. viewers all over will have early access to some big arthouse titles (not sure about other countries). They're currently streaming Bacurau, The Wild Goose Lake, The Whistlers, Corpus Christi, Zombi Child, and Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band. Pretty stacked titles if you ask me.

(Warning! The description for Bacurau in this link is extremely spoiler heavy! I recommend not reading it)
http://filmadelphia.org/nowstreaming/

The Wild Goose Lake is cinematic perfection IMO. Every shot individually deserves to hang in a gallery and repeat on loop. It might be the best neo-noir ever made (I'm not kidding). Warning that it does contain scenes of sexual violence which are quite ugly, but it takes place in a very ugly world.

Bacurau is an awesome genre exercise, a throwback to the style of late '70s-early '80s genre thrillers which replaces those films' typically right-wing politics with radical left wing ones and an "eat the rich" message. It also lets itself sprawl in a way most thrillers don't, a bit novelistic, slowly introducing the small remote town and all of its unique residents in a long buildup before they are besieged by mysterious forces. But when the action does happen it is, as expected, as angry as it is badass and set to a pulsing John Carpenter-style synth score. '80s throwback media is dime a dozen nowadays but this one really stands apart as something completely unique. Also some of us will appreciate how matter of factly and casually queer, trans and gender non-binary characters are featured in this one.

The Whistlers is a first for Porumboiu, the director of Police, Adjective, a film with an actual plot and not just a parody of one. It's an honest to goodness neo-noir but still presented in Porumboiu's signature deadpan comedic style. The international locales provide the film with some stunning vistas and beautiful cinematography that one doesn't normally associate with his films.
Lucky you. All three of those are on my list to see.

The first time I saw Black Coal, Thin Ice, I saw it without subtitles and could only appreciate it for its imagery and sound. Same with The Assassin, but I was able to see both in a real movie theater, and then get back to them a couple of years later when they were on netflix with subtitles.

I should be able to track down Wild Goose Lake in China, but art films are not easy to find/see here, even when they are a domestic product.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1298
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#18985

Post by fori » March 28th, 2020, 9:10 am

Your issue is probably English subtitles, because there are a lot of ways to access Chinese art films domestically, particularly in Beijing.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1280
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#18986

Post by cinewest » March 28th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Double post
Last edited by cinewest on March 28th, 2020, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1280
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#18987

Post by cinewest » March 28th, 2020, 1:20 pm

fori wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 9:10 am
Your issue is probably English subtitles, because there are a lot of ways to access Chinese art films domestically, particularly in Beijing.
I’m just not plugged in in Beijing, and don’t have the time to track things down that might be showing in an obscure venue on a particular evening. I did see Bi Gan’s first film that way, but my life is absorbed in ways that it wasn’t years ago.
When I lived in Costa Rica, and then later in Brazil, I knew all the places for art, music, film, dance, etc, but my life in Beijing is a whole different animal.

If you know of any channels, I’d be much obliged
Last edited by cinewest on March 28th, 2020, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1298
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#18988

Post by fori » March 28th, 2020, 2:27 pm

I know there are some good streaming services, my wife’s cousin had a really great one. For older films online availability is pretty good too. I also know there a bunch of art cinemas in Beijing, as well as cinemas that reliably play with English subtitles (though that Venn diagram mostly doesn’t intersect).


User avatar
fori
Posts: 1298
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#18990

Post by fori » Today, 1:31 pm

I’m thinking of making a video review of Passion of the Christ. Would anyone be interested in seeing that?

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 19904
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18991

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Today, 4:42 pm

So I rewatched Seven Samurai and am appalled by it.

It is the most racist, backwards film I've ever seen. It was released less than 10 years after the WWII and it depicts the Japanese people as "peasants" living in stick huts and fighting bandits with sharpened poles. It's common knowledge that Japan was much more developed in 1954. It portrays the Japanese to be slaves to the samurai class which is a metaphor of the American influence in the country after the war. It's an insult to Japanese culture.

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2026
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#18992

Post by zuma » Today, 6:16 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
Today, 4:42 pm
So I rewatched Seven Samurai and am appalled by it.

It is the most racist, backwards film I've ever seen. It was released less than 10 years after the WWII and it depicts the Japanese people as "peasants" living in stick huts and fighting bandits with sharpened poles. It's common knowledge that Japan was much more developed in 1954. It portrays the Japanese to be slaves to the samurai class which is a metaphor of the American influence in the country after the war. It's an insult to Japanese culture.
Dude, the story takes place in 1586.

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 19904
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18993

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Today, 6:26 pm

zuma wrote:
Today, 6:16 pm
Pretentious Hipster wrote:
Today, 4:42 pm
So I rewatched Seven Samurai and am appalled by it.

It is the most racist, backwards film I've ever seen. It was released less than 10 years after the WWII and it depicts the Japanese people as "peasants" living in stick huts and fighting bandits with sharpened poles. It's common knowledge that Japan was much more developed in 1954. It portrays the Japanese to be slaves to the samurai class which is a metaphor of the American influence in the country after the war. It's an insult to Japanese culture.
Dude, the story takes place in 1586.

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2026
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#18994

Post by zuma » Today, 6:50 pm

Wow. Would love to see his other reviews. Especially fantasy or science fiction.

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 19904
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18995

Post by Pretentious Hipster » Today, 6:59 pm

zuma wrote:
Today, 6:50 pm
Wow. Would love to see his other reviews. Especially fantasy or science fiction.
There is a review of 2001. Unfortunately it made it incredibly obvious that this person is trolling


User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2026
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#18996

Post by zuma » Today, 7:06 pm

In that case it is a waste of time then.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 24095
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#18997

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » Today, 7:22 pm

It's still a funny review.

Post Reply