Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 5 released June 2nd)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1935 (Results), 1966 awards (Jun 9th)
Challenges: TSPDT, 1960s, China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Film of the Week: Údolí vcel, July nominations (Jun 26th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

The Film Lounge

Cippenham
Donator

Re: The Film Lounge

Post by Cippenham » February 8th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Sorry you are right. Has anyone seen Cats?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 8th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Cippenham wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Has anyone seen Cats?
I have.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 9th, 2020, 8:13 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Cippenham wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Has anyone seen Cats?
I have.
Is it really bad 🐱

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 9th, 2020, 8:35 pm

It's certainly not great, but if you can appreciate the weird there's been a lot worse in cinemas this year.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 9th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Doesn't deserve to be in the bottom top 100, but it's not really worth your time.
ICM-profile

fori

Post by fori » February 10th, 2020, 11:33 am

La la land with weirdo digital effects and a few jaw droppingly off scenes

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 10th, 2020, 11:52 am

At least I liked it a lot better than La La Land. Shorter and crazier.

fori

Post by fori » February 10th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Yeah couldn’t agree more: solid, well above average Hollywood oddity. I wish we could trade the dominance of superheroes in box office and obnoxious throwbacks in terms of acclaim for more Cats and Valerian & the city of 1000 planets-style big budget follies.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 10th, 2020, 3:55 pm

fori wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Yeah couldn’t agree more: solid, well above average Hollywood oddity. I wish we could trade the dominance of superheroes in box office and obnoxious throwbacks in terms of acclaim for more Cats and Valerian & the city of 1000 planets-style big budget follies.
I'd definitely go see an adaptation of one of Jodorowski's comic books, no matter which one it was. I suspect I may be in the minority on that - and that I'd have to wait a really long time before having the chance.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

fori

Post by fori » February 10th, 2020, 4:52 pm

What happened to that animated Incal movie that had a fundraiser page going round? Took the money and ran? I would love to see one too, I reckon someone should do a cgi one, it’s probably the only way one of them could get made, and it could be interesting. Even if the animation is Z-tier, it could probably pull something interesting out of the hat if the boring “geometric norms” of most cgi films are thrown out the window. Frankly I’d support any method of bringing the incal to the screen that isn’t a complete insult to the book.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » February 11th, 2020, 7:11 pm

https://collider.com/the-french-dispatc ... son-movie/

New poster for the new Wes Anderson movie coming up this year. Cast couldn't be more Andersonesque either.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 11th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Coryn wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:11 pm
https://collider.com/the-french-dispatc ... son-movie/

New poster for the new Wes Anderson movie coming up this year. Cast couldn't be more Andersonesque either.
With Woody Allen now persona non grata for a lot of actors, I guess WA is now the primary go-to-guy if you just want a small role that you can do in under a week, and the chance to hang out with a whole bunch of other famous actors.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 11th, 2020, 7:27 pm

So bloody excited. Wes Anderson is yet to make a film that isn't great, and love him or hate him, at this point his style is so perfected, pure that it has become an entity upon itself. It took Ozu and others like Malick and Andersson, entire careers to achieve this degree of purity, and Wes is still young.

(It will be interesting to see if this is the final form, and what will happen next - at his age he must surely seek another path eventually, and the question then is, will it be some kind of strange jump to straight films, an even more extreme saturation or an attempt to switch styles and go for a PTA/Kubrick style).

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 11th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Yup, that certainly looks like a Wes Anderson movie poster alright, heh. Looking forward to it, he rarely misses for me.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Coryn

Post by Coryn » February 11th, 2020, 9:12 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:27 pm
So bloody excited. Wes Anderson is yet to make a film that isn't great, and love him or hate him, at this point his style is so perfected, pure that it has become an entity upon itself. It took Ozu and others like Malick and Andersson, entire careers to achieve this degree of purity, and Wes is still young.

(It will be interesting to see if this is the final form, and what will happen next - at his age he must surely seek another path eventually, and the question then is, will it be some kind of strange jump to straight films, an even more extreme saturation or an attempt to switch styles and go for a PTA/Kubrick style).
Good point that he might or might not search for an alternative path. A life is short though and his films are all quality if they are something you like, I'd be perfectly okay with him bringing out 10 more movies in his coming 25 years or so in the same style. I can't see him making some regular drama at all and I'm not sure he is willing to take the risk to take on a PTA/Kubrick style.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

fori

Post by fori » February 11th, 2020, 10:45 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
He’s not young though. Ozu had already made Tokyo Story at his age. And I saw a study once that averaged the ages at which people achieve their best work, and it was early 40s, so based on that he’s already over the hill.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 11th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Coryn wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 9:12 pm
to take on a PTA/Kubrick style.
What a terrible waste that would be.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 11th, 2020, 11:03 pm

fori wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:45 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
He’s not young though. Ozu had already made Tokyo Story at his age. And I saw a study once that averaged the ages at which people achieve their best work, and it was early 40s, so based on that he’s already over the hill.
1. He is 50, which is still relatively young for a director.

2. Not sure what your point is re: Ozu. Wes did Rushmore when he was 29 and The Royal Tenenbaums when he was 31. Granted, Ozu did not lose it and continued strong (but then he also died very young).

3. I'd love to see the study, would be odd for directors to peak at a time before most even have decentbouvres (though it may have been taking older generations into account).

4. It is perfectly possible, even likely he peaked. That was my point above. He has been considered one of the greatest directors in the world for almost two decades already, hence the worry he will lose it.

fori

Post by fori » February 11th, 2020, 11:32 pm

I don’t want to have an argument about this. 50 isn’t young, 40 isn’t even young. Is 60 young, or just average? You should be in your 30s to be a young director, e.g “Ozu was young when he made The Only Son”. It’s weird you used Ozu as an example too, because he died when he was less than 10 years older than Anderson now. The study was interdisciplinary, across science and the arts. I’m not sure if film was even included.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 11th, 2020, 11:50 pm

50 is usually when we no longer consider a director to be young, but it is extremely young to have long since perfected your style and essentially checked all the boxes. (Granted, many may still consider 50 youngish).

40 is very young, an up and comer age. At 30 most directors have just debuted, if that. If you misunderstood me I am talking about young in terms of a director's career.

I used Ozu as an example because he slowly fine-tuned his style over his career, while Wes did it a long long time ago. I'm not sure I'd agree Ozu had perfected it by Tokyo Story either. Of course, we can debate when either perfected their style, and what that even means.

Re: Study. Directors, especially today, barely get started by the time they are 40, so they can't be compared to painters, musicians, etc.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 12th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Anderson just made his best film a few years ago (Budapest).

I'd say he's had a few different phases. The humor changed over time (though subtly). The color palette has become more extreme and fine-tuned. As have the sets. There's more sentiment in his films now than his young ones, which is the biggest reason Budapest was so masterful. IMO he's the most visually gifted filmmaker - all things considered - that's ever lived. That he tells such engaging and well-crafted stories is what makes him more than just a guy who knows how to think in colors.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 12th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Wes Anderson is hit and miss for me (my ratings are all between 1-8/10). His films all kind of look the same (though sometimes beautiful, sometimes meh and sometimes ugly) but they're mostly not good and I don't find them very consistent in any other way (except maybe the humour, but sometimes they're funny and other times they're so stupid I want to die).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 12th, 2020, 3:36 pm

I guess I"m somewhere between mighty and Gloede/sebby here; I've liked all of WA's films except for The Darjeeling Limited (and I didn't hate that or anything) but I usually don't take a lot away from them or think much about them or him; to me he's in that category of filmmakers whose work I'll definitely see in the cinema - which is certainly something - but who I suspect would be a low priority if I lived somewhere like NYC or LA and could actually see a wider variety of stuff. When you live where I do, a Wes Anderson film really does seem special, because there aren't many things that are special that show up on the big screen. But I've never re-watched any of his films and there are only a couple that are in any way priorities - Grand Budapest I suppose because I think it's his only great film so far, and Bottle Rocket because I barely remember it, and Rushmore because I think I might like it more.

He's a solid visual artist for sure and has an imagination that is unique to him but he just doesn't hit me in the spot he hits a lot of people I guess.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Well, since we've been talking about it, might as well post the first trailer that came out today for The French Dispatch:

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 12th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Tati reference at the 7-second mark?

I had to quit the trailer after a minute because I started feeling annoyed.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » February 12th, 2020, 6:38 pm

I'm not even watching that trailer. Will see it anyway, so what's the point?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 12th, 2020, 7:44 pm

4 weeks ago there's finally a decent quality rip of Black Harvest. If you haven't seen it yet definitely get on it.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 12th, 2020, 9:32 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm
Well, since we've been talking about it, might as well post the first trailer that came out today for The French Dispatch:

Oh no, not another "Love letter to cinema" please!
(I don't like Wes anyway, except for his animated films)

sebby

Post by sebby » February 13th, 2020, 2:00 am

Great trailer, should be another masterstroke.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » February 13th, 2020, 5:28 am

I'm probably around where OldAle1 is on Wes Anderson. I like seeing his films, especially in the theater where the colors and design of them can really flourish. And like most, I think that his best was Grand Budapest, though I have enjoyed most of his others quite a bit, especially Moonrise Kingdom, perhaps the other one of his that would make one of my yearly top 20's.

Though his stylish comedic wit has its own flare, he does remind me of several other filmmakers in certain ways: Tati, of course, and Jeunet, as well as even Almodovar, who also stresses the colors and design of his sets. There is also Woody Allen, in particular early Woody Allen (films like Sleeper, for example, but also the more mature work like Broadway Danny Rose, etc), and some of the Coen Brothers more comedic turns, like A Serious Man (though I usually get more out of the Coen Brothers than Wes Anderson).

I do like his sense of humor and design, but would hardly call him one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, more like a very good one in his time, particularly among his generation of American filmmakers.
He doesn’t approach the genius of a filmmaker like Fellini, though, who imbues his theatrical comedy with more meaningful content.
I suppose there are some who think Lemony Snicket is one of the world’s great authors, too, and it probably comes down to what ones’s expectations of literature or cinema are, as well as what abilities and accomplishments we ascribe the greatest values to

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » February 13th, 2020, 6:13 pm

I agree with cinewest, especially the last paragraph.

Anderson is great in his particular niche of films, but he doesn't really take risks or push boundaries. Even his most esoteric movies (like Isle of Dogs) still have the same overall themes and choices. I'd love to see him try to do something more intimate or grander scale.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 13th, 2020, 10:59 pm

MUBI is actually premiering a new Luca Guadagnino film on Saturday on their website. Granted, it's only 37 minutes, but it stars Julianne Moore and Kyle Maclachlan.

Take that, Netflix! Your days are numbered! Well, probably not. But I wonder if other filmmakers will follow suit?

Oh, and I've always wanted to see a Sir Gawain and the Green Knight movie (read the poem, it will take you an hour tops) and now we're getting a great-looking one from David Lowery and A24:

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » February 13th, 2020, 11:22 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 10:59 pm
MUBI is actually premiering a new Luca Guadagnino film on Saturday on their website. Granted, it's only 37 minutes, but it stars Julianne Moore and Kyle Maclachlan.

Take that, Netflix! Your days are numbered! Well, probably not. But I wonder if other filmmakers will follow suit?

Oh, and I've always wanted to see a Sir Gawain and the Green Knight movie (read the poem, it will take you an hour tops) and now we're getting a great-looking one from David Lowery and A24:

37 minutes is good. I'm glad theyre experimenting. A lot of folks don't have 1 and a half hours and you can do good stuff in 30-44.

I can't imagine anyone being able to adapt sir gawain well

fori

Post by fori » February 14th, 2020, 12:55 am

The Knight With Two Swords is the best Arthurian Story.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 16th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Can anyone tell me which movie this is? It's certainly not from the 1998-documentary that was just added to the Box Office list.

ICM-profile

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 16th, 2020, 7:26 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Just watched this, it is basically an extended ad for Valentino.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 18th, 2020, 5:11 am

Speaking of Wes Anderson, I somehow have gone multiple years without seeing this:

The easiest explanation is that SNL generally sucks and I never watch it, but doggone did they nail it here. I enjoyed this more than every Wesley movie I've seen.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » February 20th, 2020, 8:56 am

Bab'Aziz cropped up on the icm most favourite list today and I'm curious to check it out as it's on youtube. However, it appears to be the third part of Nacer Khemir's desert trilogy. Can anyone who has seen all three advise if they are the continuation of a story or just linked thematically? I'm wondering if it would be best to start with the first entry in the trilogy? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

fori

Post by fori » February 20th, 2020, 9:36 am

I’ve seen the first and third, and I’m under the impression they aren’t related

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 20th, 2020, 11:51 am

filmbantha wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 8:56 am
Bab'Aziz cropped up on the icm most favourite list today and I'm curious to check it out as it's on youtube. However, it appears to be the third part of Nacer Khemir's desert trilogy. Can anyone who has seen all three advise if they are the continuation of a story or just linked thematically? I'm wondering if it would be best to start with the first entry in the trilogy? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
Here's an interesting topic for you
ICM-profile