Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

The Film Lounge

OldAle1
Donator

Re: The Film Lounge

Post by OldAle1 » November 20th, 2019, 2:12 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 8:00 pm
I find it baffling really, it's fun(the first half at least, I spent most of the second half rolling my eyes), but it doesn't really do the "class war" thing any better than the dozens of other films we get every year on that very same topic. Not exactly a film I'll be thinking about a few years down the line.
I just saw it and...yeah, pretty much. I definitely liked it overall, but Shoplifters last year did some similar things better, and this certainly isn't my favorite Bong film so far. At this point it'd be in my top 10 of the year, but I've only seen 26 2019 films so far and right now this is a very, very weak year.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 21st, 2019, 7:48 am

I did a bit of error checking with my film spreadsheet yesterday by comparing it against my IMDb ratings; I found a few I'd forgotten to add to the spreadsheet, a couple I hadn't rated, a few accidental short films and mini-series being included etc. Felt good to fix that up, however...

There are a few things I've rated that I'm conflicted on including in the spreadsheet:

Stand-up/comedy shows
Eddie Murphy: Raw
Bottom Live 3: Hooligan's Island
Bottom Live: The Big Number 2 Tour
Bottom Live
The Fast Show Live
Bottom 2001: An Arse Oddity
The Fast Show Farewell Tour
Bottom Live 2003: Weapons Grade Y-Fronts Tour
Dylan Moran: Monster
Lano & Woodley: The Island
Stephen Merchant: Hello Ladies... Live!

TV stuff
The Big Fat Anniversary Quiz
The Big Fat Quiz of the Year
The Big Fat Quiz of the 00s
The Big Fat Quiz of the 90s
The Big Fat Anniversary Quiz

Other
The Short Films of David Lynch
Concert for George

I'm not sure whether I should include stand-up. I had them in there once before but then later took them out. Now I have no idea. I think of them separately to documentaries and such, but maybe they technically do count...

I don't think I should include The Big Fat quizzes since I consider them more like annual TV episodes, and on IMDb they are tagged as 'Game Show' which is a convincing argument to leave them out.

The David Lynch thing.. idk. It's listed as a documentary but I'm not sure what it really is. The Concert for George I'm leaning towards including because I've included other music 'documentaries' but I watched it before I even liked The Beatles so I don't even remember what it was like or if it should count.

Any suggestions/arguments about what I should include? As much as possible I try to go by IMDb classifications, but sometimes I have to make my own judgment calls and I get stressed. I include feature length films only (no mini-series, TV series, short films), but TV movies/straight to video and documentaries are included too (as long as they are feature length).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 21st, 2019, 12:09 pm

Eddie Murphy: Raw was a theatrically-released film - I saw it myself, first run, in a mainstream cinema. So to me that's a no-brainer. Haven't seen any of the others so can't comment, though I've seen several Lynch shorts as individual works. My tendency is not to include something of that sort if the individual works included have all been available separately (and I would have rated/checked them all separately); the only exception would be a thematic feature, i.e. something like all those Italian or French portmanteau films in the 60s from several directors that had commercial theatrical releases. The Lynch thing isn't really in that category is it? Just a compilation of previous released shorts?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 21st, 2019, 11:25 pm

mightysparks wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 7:48 am
I'm not sure whether I should include stand-up. I had them in there once before but then later took them out. Now I have no idea. I think of them separately to documentaries and such, but maybe they technically do count...
Well, as (I'm guessing) the biggest stand-up nerd around, I don't include them (which one exception, which I'll mention shortly). For a while, I was listing them in my spreadsheet, but I also included a tag so I could easily filter out stand-up specials. And with every bit of stats tabulation, I remove them. I still rate them on IMDB/Trakt and check them on ICM, I just don't include them in lists, so I don't bother keeping them in my spreadsheet. I maintain a separate list on trakt for stand-up.

Now for the exception: Bo Burnham: Make Happy. I personally don't care about theatrical releases, so that's not the reason for the exception. What sets Make Happy apart for me is that you won't get the full experience if you don't watch the Netflix release. The visuals are too stunning, the camera angles too important, and the editing joke exists, so it's got that cinematic quality. The distinction I make (and it's imperfect, but it's the best I've come up with) is if you can get the full experience and enjoyment watching the special live in the audience, it fails the "cinema" test. I have 436 stand-up specials in my list, and I'd argue 435 of them would be just as good (or bad) sitting in the audience. Make Happy is the one exception for me.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 21st, 2019, 11:36 pm

Hmm I guess that possibly makes things more complicated but I think a mix of theatrical release and ‘cinema’ test are probably a good combination of factors to consider for inclusion. I think I’ll also leave off the David Lynch thing and just put in Raw and Concert for George. I’m nearing my 6000th film so I wanted to make sure all my numbers are correct before hitting the milestone :D
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 22nd, 2019, 12:13 am

Has anyone ever tried a D-Box film in the theater?

Apparently, my local theater has one and I had to look up what it was. Seems interesting, but I'm not sure...

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 22nd, 2019, 5:14 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 12:13 am

Apparently, my local theater has one and I had to look up what it was. Seems interesting, but I'm not sure...
"D-BOX Motion System may be harmful to women who are pregnant, the elderly, people with heart conditions, back, head or neck conditions, injuries or pre-existing medical conditions. Children under ten (10) years of age or under 45lbs are not recommended to participate. Avoid using hot liquids in the vicinity of the D-BOX seats"

Erhm... nope?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » November 22nd, 2019, 5:58 am

I've now seen two films from Lav Diaz - Melancholia and From What is Before. While I'm not in love with the uber slow cinema style that he specializes in, the best ideas and imagery in his work are really affecting. The ending of From What is Before, which I just saw today, was utterly disturbing. Good stuff.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 22nd, 2019, 11:18 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:14 am
maxwelldeux wrote:

"D-BOX Motion System may be harmful to women who are pregnant, the elderly, people with heart conditions, back, head or neck conditions, injuries or pre-existing medical conditions. Children under ten (10) years of age or under 45lbs are not recommended to participate. Avoid using hot liquids in the vicinity of the D-BOX seats"

Erhm... nope?
Well, it's the standard warning you get on rides and whatnot in theme parks. I don't think it was designed to murder people. :P

It just seems like a cool concept. I'll have to try it out one of these days and report back. Unless I die. Then I'll have my wife report back that D-Box killed me. :lol:

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 23rd, 2019, 12:45 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 11:18 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:14 am
maxwelldeux wrote:

Erhm... nope?
Well, it's the standard warning you get on rides and whatnot in theme parks. I don't think it was designed to murder people. :P

It just seems like a cool concept. I'll have to try it out one of these days and report back. Unless I die. Then I'll have my wife report back that D-Box killed me. :lol:
And holding a warm cup of coffee in a chair that suddenly shakes won’t be very smart ;)

I never been to one. It doesn’t appeal to me. But friends have, one of them liked it cause it added something to his experience of a movie. The other said it was quite fun and cool at the start when it’s all still novel, but it’s gets tiresome and annoying after a while. The girlfriend of one of them did get nausea from it, but she’s also gets carsick quickly or sick on rides, so yeah if you’re inclined to that it better to avoid it. (That was for a 4dx theatre but I guess it’s the same principle for d-box)

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 25th, 2019, 12:56 am

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7869070/

Limp Bizkit made a film? LOL! Did he do it all for the nookie?

fori

Post by fori » November 25th, 2019, 1:39 am

Fred Durst has been directing features for well over a decade right? At this stage it’s probably his main thing. Haven’t seen them though, doesn’t really appeal to me.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 25th, 2019, 2:58 am

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 12:56 am

I’m surprised you weren’t on top of this already.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 25th, 2019, 5:04 am

You can take that cookie and stick it up your :yas:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » November 25th, 2019, 8:37 am

This is from 1931

fori

Post by fori » November 25th, 2019, 9:26 am

Wow, hard to believe the lack of subsequent progress on this front...

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » November 25th, 2019, 1:33 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 5:04 am

You can take that cookie and stick it up your :yas:
Ok I might have to see it.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » November 27th, 2019, 3:11 pm

The Irishman is out on Netflix today, FYI.

I still wanna try to see it in the cinema but I'm not sure that's in the cards for me in the near future, very limited screenings around here and been too busy to go.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 27th, 2019, 3:17 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 3:11 pm
The Irishman is out on Netflix today, FYI.

I still wanna try to see it in the cinema but I'm not sure that's in the cards for me in the near future, very limited screenings around here and been too busy to go.
I noticed that. At least you have the option of seeing it theatrically. It is not being released in cinemas down here - or at least not on my side of the country. That said, given that it is close to 4 hours long, it might be nicer to view it in the comfort of my home where I can stop and take food or bathroom breaks without having to miss out on part of the movie.

I don't know if I will watch it this month. It currently fits the Unofficial Challenge, but I imagine it will go Official (IMDb Top 250) any day now, so maybe best to save for next month.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Coryn

Post by Coryn » December 2nd, 2019, 6:51 am

I'm about to watch d'est aka from the east by Akerman but can't find any subtitles. Do they not speak in the docu at all or is it just hard to find?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 2nd, 2019, 6:53 am

Coryn wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:51 am
I'm about to watch d'est aka from the east by Akerman but can't find any subtitles. Do they not speak in the docu at all or is it just hard to find?
No subs needed.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Coryn

Post by Coryn » December 2nd, 2019, 7:03 am

joachimt wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:53 am
Coryn wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:51 am
No subs needed.
Great, thanks!
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 2nd, 2019, 1:20 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 10:38 pm
I'll be that one grinch who hated The Whispering Star. I usually love Sono's films though.
:verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

you swine!!!!

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 5th, 2019, 8:04 am

Funny how there's all these memes about how long The Irishman is but if it'd been released on Netflix as four 50 min episodes separated by credits everyone would've just binged through them in succession without saying a word about length.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 6th, 2019, 7:27 pm

IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » December 6th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Why are they so in love with Twin Peaks?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 6th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Why are they so in love with Twin Peaks?
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 6th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Joker had a great performance (not even close to the 2 leads in The Lighthouse though), and it also depicted mental illness to a tee. It is over-the-top and melodramatic, but that's how it is in your head with you're mentally ill. Everything else about it was practically a mess. Just stick with Taxi Driver.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » December 9th, 2019, 9:01 am

Any Krimi fans here? I feel like I've seen just about every Giallo/Noir that are worth watching, so I'm looking to get into Krimi. Saw a few last week and they're already getting a bit too samey, I'd like some help picking out which ones to watch next. What are the standouts?

fori

Post by fori » December 9th, 2019, 9:09 am

Not really a fan (and honestly barely knowledgeable at all) but Lenzi's Kriminal was loads of fun, and I also love the Harald Reinl stuff. Again I would encourage you to get in touch with my irl friend and icm user 'Barnes'. He loves Peplum, Krimi, Cannibal, Giallo, Spaghetti Westerns and all that other stuff. You might have passed him by in terms of knowledge though...

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 9th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Kirk Douglas turned 103 today :party:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 9th, 2019, 10:21 pm

brokenface wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Kirk Douglas turned 103 today :party:
One of the greats.

In other news, I saw Paul Giammatti when I went to the opera last week (two rows behind me--he wasn't performing). I'm usually terrible at celeb sightings because of my mild face-blindness, but I'm 95% sure it was him. I think he's a great actor, but I wasn't going to say anything to him. There's a kind of informal New York code about not bothering celebrities. There's a very, very limited pool of people I would be willing to break that rule for. My father told me that in 45 years in New York, he only broke that rule when he saw Yves Montand in a record store.

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » December 16th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Screener Season has begun. Uncut Gems is online! B)

fori

Post by fori » December 16th, 2019, 2:29 pm

I’ve watched just under 2000 films this year, but here are some I didn’t watch, and don’t really plan to:
- The Irishman
- One Upon A Time in Hollywood
- Avengers: Endgame
- Marriage Story
- Uncut Gems
- Midsommar
- Ad Astra
- Captain Marvel
- Joker
- It Chapter 2
- Booksmart
- The Souvenir
- Hustlers
- Shazam
- Spider-Man 7
- Pain & Glory
- Jojo Rabbit
- El Camino
- those two documentaries about the Ja Rule music festival god I wish I never heard about any of that

There are many others too, some of which I do plan to see.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 16th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:27 pm
I never quite understand whether Cahiers are joking or not. I fully agree with them on Melancholia, and even The Image Book (wonderful, under-distributed, under-appreciated). But then I saw Holy Motors as mostly disposable, and whilst I liked P'tit Quinquin, it's a bit crude for inclusion on a top 10 of the decade. Slightly surprised they didn't try and shoehorn an Abel Ferrara movie in there.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 16th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Also, can I watch 2017 Twin Peaks without having watched any of the rest of Twin Peaks? If not how would I do it?

max-scl

Post by max-scl » December 16th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I think it's necessary to watch the original series. The first part at least.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » December 16th, 2019, 5:54 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 3:05 pm
Also, can I watch 2017 Twin Peaks without having watched any of the rest of Twin Peaks? If not how would I do it?
There is not too much in the way of it potentially working very well, it works on so many different levels and also as a stand-alone piece, that the relative lack of context you would bring to it won't necessarily hamper your viewing pleasure at all, it might even enable you to see many things in a different light, not being distracted by a clout of expectations and such of how things ought to play out and how the series ought to be like, because it IS very different to the original series. It will certainly be very much a profit to you, though, if you at least see 'Fire Walk With Me' first (that's the film, prequel to the original series, made after the series), I don't know if you already have. It's amazing as fuck, so no loss there (you're well-advised to brace yourself for an intensely emotional ride there). Especially when it comes to the concluding episodes of the new series, they will pack infinitely more of a punch if you have seen 'Fire Walk With Me'. And if you are willing enough it will also do you very good to see the Twin Peaks pilot first of all (before 'Fire Walk With Me'), you'll get a sense of what the show was like (since 'Fire Walk With Me' also is drastically different to the original series), and you'll get to know pretty well what the whole thing is about, in terms of story, characters and themes, all in a compact package. The "European" version, aka "International" version adds about 20 minutes to the end that wraps it all up nicely (as far as Lynch is prone to do so). Most fans would advise against watching this version first, considering the ending a major spoiler, but I think it doesn't really hurt even if you do decide to watch the original series later on, since there things play out very differently.

But if you want to forgo watching anything else at the very least do the Wikipedia thing, and familiarize yourself with the backstory in broad strokes, though I'm sure you couldn't have gone through life without already having picked up some notions of what "Twin Peaks" is and is like. Also, while watching I'd advise to keep in mind the context in which the new series premiered - as a 25-years later thing, made for the passionate, nostalgic fans first and foremost - don't worry about call-backs to earlier material (the majority of which you will get if you have watched the Pilot and 'Fire Walk With Me') or the specific ways in which it plays with the old events of Twin Peaks, as the new one is not so much a subversion of the original series, than it is a subversion of what it has become in the hearts and minds of people, 'Twin Peaks' the revered cult object, the soap opera with surreal elements, the story of the evil thing that happened to a wholesome town community, etc. So the viewers' expectations of having this classic show revived, with all the reappearing characters having aged 25 years, living now in a different world, is a very integral part of 'Twin Peaks' 2017. The relationship between the nostalgic viewer with his set expectations and the creator who has moved on and wants to do something fresh is a huge theme of the new series. Certainly it tends to be the overarching one for me, and doesn't only pertain to the 'Twin Peaks' phenomenon, but speaks of the viewer-creator relationship at large wherever expectations are involved, especially when it comes to episodic things, whether it's TV shows, Marvel films, or remakes, in extension, of course, being about life itself, for what is life but the longest-running radio play in history...
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on December 17th, 2019, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.