Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

The Film Lounge

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10446
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

Re: The Film Lounge

#18241

Post by funkybusiness » May 20th, 2019, 10:48 am

mine's like $120/year, and I think there's a like $15/month option. but that's for Prime US. I think each country has their own.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28579
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18242

Post by joachimt » May 20th, 2019, 11:04 am

funkybusiness wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 10:48 am
mine's like $120/year, and I think there's a like $15/month option. but that's for Prime US. I think each country has their own.
But it shouldn't depend on the language I'm viewing the website in, right? So it uses my location to determine the price? According to my VPN I'm in Spain right now.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 11997
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#18243

Post by Cippenham » May 20th, 2019, 6:25 pm

It’s around 72 pounds a year in the Uk. I think you can pay yearly or monthly but not 36 a month surely. Too low for yearly I would say. Previous prices are as below.


https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/alg ... etherlands

matthewscott8
Donator
Posts: 1403
Joined: May 13, 2015
Contact:

#18244

Post by matthewscott8 » May 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Amazon Prime is cheap. It's a no brainer for me because you get free postage with it, so it makes sense for me to do it just based on that.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28579
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18245

Post by joachimt » May 20th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Free trial started. After 30 days it's 5,99 euro each month.
I don't think I will use it to order dvd's, just for the streaming service, but I'll soon run out of things to watch. Probably within 30 days.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

blocho
Donator
Posts: 1668
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#18246

Post by blocho » May 20th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Amazon Prime is a tough one. I think the company is pretty evil (though not exceptionally by American standards). I rationalize it by saying I'm just bogarting my parents' subscription, so I'm not paying amazon anything for it. And I do watch a bunch of movies from amazon prime. But then I find myself buying things with it too. I rationalize that by saying my anxieties make it hard for me to go shopping for things physically. I need to find a less morally dubious online retailer.

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10446
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#18247

Post by funkybusiness » May 20th, 2019, 10:40 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 11:04 am
funkybusiness wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 10:48 am
mine's like $120/year, and I think there's a like $15/month option. but that's for Prime US. I think each country has their own.
But it shouldn't depend on the language I'm viewing the website in, right? So it uses my location to determine the price? According to my VPN I'm in Spain right now.
it seems you sorted it out in the meantime, but, yeah.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3501
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#18248

Post by OldAle1 » May 21st, 2019, 8:19 pm

blocho wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 7:50 pm
Amazon Prime is a tough one. I think the company is pretty evil (though not exceptionally by American standards). I rationalize it by saying I'm just bogarting my parents' subscription, so I'm not paying amazon anything for it. And I do watch a bunch of movies from amazon prime. But then I find myself buying things with it too. I rationalize that by saying my anxieties make it hard for me to go shopping for things physically. I need to find a less morally dubious online retailer.
Apart from the thing about your parents this is pretty much exactly my feeling.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5907
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#18249

Post by maxwelldeux » May 24th, 2019, 1:02 am

So, I love hilarious search results. Searched today for "Jeremiah Johnson" - top result is exactly what I was looking for. Second result makes a lot of sense, too. But they get increasingly ridiculous from there...

Image

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10446
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#18250

Post by funkybusiness » May 24th, 2019, 1:32 am

Is the connection that they're all films to which you could use the Jeremiah Johnson reaction meme?

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 5907
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#18251

Post by maxwelldeux » May 24th, 2019, 2:25 am

funkybusiness wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 1:32 am
Is the connection that they're all films to which you could use the Jeremiah Johnson reaction meme?
There are so many ways you could go with "Johnson" and that fourth title... :whistling:

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28579
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18252

Post by joachimt » May 26th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I'm going to watch The Emoji Movie now, because my youngest was allowed to pick a movie today. She has seen it at a friend's house and wants to see it again, because it's so much fun.
Wish me luck!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3418
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#18253

Post by weirdboy » May 26th, 2019, 3:44 pm

:circle: :thumbsup:

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28579
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18254

Post by joachimt » May 26th, 2019, 4:46 pm

<_< :blink: :unsure: :ermm: :think: :down:


:lol:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 3660
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#18255

Post by Dolwphin » May 26th, 2019, 5:19 pm

:rolleyes: :folded: B) (D:) :sarcasm: :cheers: :ermm: :sweat: :rip: :guns: :guns: :mw_confused: :pinch: :imdb: tehe :facepalm: :facepalm: (u) (u) (l) :satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: :satstunned: :/ :unsure: :blink: ;) :cowbow: :banana: (D:) :mrgreen: :tongue: :clap: (l) :run: :run: :lies: :innocent: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :cowbow: :cowbow: :finger: :finger: :sarcasm: :smilz19: :smilz19: ^o) ^o) ^o) ^o) :hug: :satstunned: :wub: ;) :ph43r: :ph43r: :yucky: :ICM: :ICM: :Crtiticker:
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28579
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18256

Post by joachimt » May 26th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Stop it! I've seen enough emoji's today! :verymad:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7066
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#18257

Post by Gershwin » May 27th, 2019, 11:36 am

It was emoji language for saying you're a check whore. At least that's how I read it.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Rainy Red Carpet
Posts: 63
Joined: May 20, 2019
Contact:

#18258

Post by Rainy Red Carpet » May 27th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Would be a great double with Pixel or Angry Birds. :woot: :ermm:
Money talks and bullshit walks.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28579
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18259

Post by joachimt » May 27th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Pixels was enjoyable actually.
I hope my daughter never suggests Angry Birds.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 3660
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#18260

Post by Dolwphin » May 27th, 2019, 9:08 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 3:14 pm
Pixels was enjoyable actually.
I hope my daughter never suggests Angry Birds.
Just be glad your daughter is not into Angry Foreigner. :D
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18261

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 31st, 2019, 12:39 am

Someone add this on imdb


User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18262

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 31st, 2019, 1:08 am

Turns out it was already on imdb. Fantastic film.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4346
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#18263

Post by Carmel1379 » May 31st, 2019, 1:13 am

Earliest IMDb entry is this one as far as I know: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3155794/reference



Also a fantastic film.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#18264

Post by Knaldskalle » May 31st, 2019, 4:34 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 1:08 am
Turns out it was already on imdb. Fantastic film.
:thumbsup:
It even managed to capture the corona (the glowing ring during the totality), I did not expect that. I'd figured it'd be too little light for the camera to capture, but no, the corona was beautiful. Doesn't beat the real thing, though, seeing it IRL. B)
Carmel1379 wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 1:13 am
Earliest IMDb entry is this one as far as I know: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3155794/reference



Also a fantastic film.
Photographed the Venus Passage in 2004. Pointed a telescope towards the sun and put a piece of paper in front of the dangerous end and saw Venus as a small dot passing the sun. You can view sunspots the same way. I seem to remember seeing the 2012 passage as well at the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley, but I don't have a clear memory, so maybe I'm just making it up.

Oh well, there's always next time, December 2117. :whistling:
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18265

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 31st, 2019, 4:54 pm

It became one of my favourite films of pre 1910s cinema. It's captivating and extremely impressive that it was recorded in 1900.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4346
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#18266

Post by Carmel1379 » May 31st, 2019, 6:00 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 4:34 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 1:08 am
Turns out it was already on imdb. Fantastic film.
:thumbsup:
It even managed to capture the corona (the glowing ring during the totality), I did not expect that. I'd figured it'd be too little light for the camera to capture, but no, the corona was beautiful. Doesn't beat the real thing, though, seeing it IRL. B)
Carmel1379 wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 1:13 am
Earliest IMDb entry is this one as far as I know: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3155794/reference



Also a fantastic film.
Photographed the Venus Passage in 2004. Pointed a telescope towards the sun and put a piece of paper in front of the dangerous end and saw Venus as a small dot passing the sun. You can view sunspots the same way. I seem to remember seeing the 2012 passage as well at the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley, but I don't have a clear memory, so maybe I'm just making it up.

Oh well, there's always next time, December 2117. :whistling:
That's awesome! Surprisingly I actually wasn't aware of the Venus transits, how rare they are, how they occur in pairs, etc. Fascinating. 2117... I'll be there! :D

According to wikipedia apparently the genuine 1874 photographs of 'Passage de Venus' have actually been lost, and this film uses a practice model? Somehow that makes it even cooler, the oldest imdb entry being something of a scam. :lol:
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 28579
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#18267

Post by joachimt » May 31st, 2019, 6:10 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 1:08 am
Turns out it was already on imdb. Fantastic film.
Link to IMDb please?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18268

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 31st, 2019, 6:31 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 6:10 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 1:08 am
Turns out it was already on imdb. Fantastic film.
Link to IMDb please?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2403668/

It was hella empty. Not even the director is listed. Whatever, I didn't add it.

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18269

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 3rd, 2019, 2:38 am

Decided to watch an episode of Iron Chef Japan and look at who one of the judges is

Image

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18270

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 3rd, 2019, 5:19 pm

Will I enjoy A Field in England and High-Rise if I disliked Kill List? My initial plan was to love that film, rekindle my interest in films, and see those other 2 in the same day. Now I'm not sure. The final act was cool but it didn't make up for the rest of the film which had crudely drawn characters, and I felt like the casting was off was well.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29216
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#18271

Post by mightysparks » June 3rd, 2019, 11:45 pm

I haven’t liked anything by Ben Wheatley (though haven’t seen High Rise), I find him pretty consistently not enjoyable though my opinions probably don’t help that much. But I think A Field in England has more of a black/dry sense of humour whereas Kill List is more serious so it’s possible you could like his sense of humour more I guess?
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3501
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#18272

Post by OldAle1 » June 4th, 2019, 6:27 pm

My experience with Wheatley:

Liked High-Rise a lot, but it's right up my alley too - intelligent, non-action-oriented dystopia, a rather rare creature these days.

Mixed but generally positive feelings about A Field in England - certainly different, but it didn't all gel for me, and it might help to know more about the English Civil War than I do.

So-so about Free Fire.

User avatar
fori
Posts: 1018
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#18273

Post by fori » June 5th, 2019, 10:04 am

Been fascinating to see the Korean Film Archive get a boost in recognition due to Parasite. Have to agree with him, Korean movies are vastly underwatched (outside of a few areas that get drastically overwatched)

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18274

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 7th, 2019, 12:58 am

Frederick Wiseman's new film is online. First The Garden now this. Great last 2 weeks.

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18275

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 7th, 2019, 1:10 am

The masterpiece The Beach Bum is online too.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4346
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞ | myself am Hell
Contact:

#18276

Post by Carmel1379 » June 7th, 2019, 1:38 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 1:10 am
The masterpiece The Beach Bum is online too.
:worship:
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 6090
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#18277

Post by RBG » June 7th, 2019, 1:40 am

gonna watch it in like 10 mins B)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3418
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#18278

Post by weirdboy » June 7th, 2019, 1:48 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 12:58 am
Frederick Wiseman's new film is online. First The Garden now this. Great last 2 weeks.
What's this about The Garden? Was that publicly released and I didn't realize it?

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18685
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#18279

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 7th, 2019, 1:58 am

weirdboy wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 1:48 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 12:58 am
Frederick Wiseman's new film is online. First The Garden now this. Great last 2 weeks.
What's this about The Garden? Was that publicly released and I didn't realize it?
Not publicly. It got uploaded on a private torrent site. The quality is very low though.

User avatar
RBG
Posts: 6090
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Location: desert usa
Contact:

#18280

Post by RBG » June 7th, 2019, 2:10 am

and there's a cat in the first fucking scene :circle:

Image

B) :thumbsup: can this be my new avatar

Image
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Post Reply