Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Mar 20th)
Polls: 2018 (Feb 17th), 2003 awards (Feb 24th), Fantasy (Feb 28th), DtC Nominations (Mar 18th), Children (Apr 7th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, 1930s, China+HK+Taiwan
World Cup: Semi finals preparation (Feb 23rd)
Film of the Week: Bian zou bian chang

The Film Lounge

Traveller

Re: The Film Lounge

Post by Traveller » February 3rd, 2019, 11:43 am

fori wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 12:10 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 11:13 pm
Apparently the new Jafar Panahi now has English subtitles.
These posts are very useful, you should expand the scope of this service.
Seconded.
ICM
February Challenge: Image Image Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 4th, 2019, 12:11 am

OK nobody else probably cares but...

Super Bowl movie trailers

Us - saw this during the pre-game show, maybe it aired again while I was cooking? Anyway... I didn't love Get Out but it was different enough that am definitely interested in what Peele does next

Alita Battle Angel or whatever, was this before or after Wonder Park shit who cares? More dumb action dressed up with some feminist tropes I suppose. Blah. The lead actress is freaky-looking, is it make-up/CGI that makes her face look so robotic-weird?

Wonder Park - typical modern animation, a mix of sappiness and frenetic action it looks like. Could be OK I suppose but probably not for me at least in cinema.

Revengers Parte Quatre: Dem Heroes Comes Back from Death Y'all - Fuck this shit

OK not a movie but a little teaser for Jordan Peele's new Twilight Zone. Not really knowing his work as an actor I don't know what to expect from him as a host, but this is a show that can be rebooted/redone infinitely IMO - if the right people are involve and some real thought is put into it.

NO FUCKING MOVIE ADS AT ALL IN 2nd OR 3rd QUARTERS WTF???!!??

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - 10 second teaser tells me nothing except schoolgirl with a hair growing out of her cheek or something. Horror I guess. Maybe a little "Alice in Wonnderland" vibe?

Thought there was supposed to be a trailer for Hobbs & Shaw but didn't see it - could have missed it in the 1st or the pre-game I suppose. What a waste of an evening.

I WILL UPDATE DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO REPLY THIS IS JUST FOR MY OWN INCREASINGLY DRUNKEN AMUSEMENT

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 4th, 2019, 5:26 am

OldAle1 wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 12:11 am
OK nobody else probably cares but...

Super Bowl movie trailers

Us - saw this during the pre-game show, maybe it aired again while I was cooking? Anyway... I didn't love Get Out but it was different enough that am definitely interested in what Peele does next

Alita Battle Angel or whatever, was this before or after Wonder Park shit who cares? More dumb action dressed up with some feminist tropes I suppose. Blah. The lead actress is freaky-looking, is it make-up/CGI that makes her face look so robotic-weird?

Wonder Park - typical modern animation, a mix of sappiness and frenetic action it looks like. Could be OK I suppose but probably not for me at least in cinema.

Revengers Parte Quatre: Dem Heroes Comes Back from Death Y'all - Fuck this shit

OK not a movie but a little teaser for Jordan Peele's new Twilight Zone. Not really knowing his work as an actor I don't know what to expect from him as a host, but this is a show that can be rebooted/redone infinitely IMO - if the right people are involve and some real thought is put into it.

NO FUCKING MOVIE ADS AT ALL IN 2nd OR 3rd QUARTERS WTF???!!??

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - 10 second teaser tells me nothing except schoolgirl with a hair growing out of her cheek or something. Horror I guess. Maybe a little "Alice in Wonnderland" vibe?

Thought there was supposed to be a trailer for Hobbs & Shaw but didn't see it - could have missed it in the 1st or the pre-game I suppose. What a waste of an evening.

I WILL UPDATE DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO REPLY THIS IS JUST FOR MY OWN INCREASINGLY DRUNKEN AMUSEMENT
Yeah...awful, dull Super Bowl game, and the movie trailers were underwhelming and there seemed to be fewer of them this year than the Super Bowls in recent memory.

As for the girl in Alita, yeah, it’s a bunch of CGI on her, most notably the huge anime-style eyes.

There was indeed a trailer for Hobbs & Shaw, you must have been grabbing another beer at that time, heh. As someone who has only seen the original Fast & the Furious movie in 2001 and that was more than enough for me, I couldn’t give two shits about this one.

There was a little teaser thing for Toy Story 4 right after the game ended. I’m selective in my interest in Pixar’s stuff, but I do like the Toy Story franchise so this is one film advertised tonight that I’ll actually see. (And I didn’t catch the Us trailer that you mentioned as I wasn’t watching any pre-game stuff, but I’ll definitely see that since I was pretty high on Get Out).
I thrive best hermit-style.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sebby

Post by sebby » February 4th, 2019, 6:44 am

There were also a couple trailers for generic looking superhero movies. I'm sure they will be billion dollar trash bags.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 4th, 2019, 6:45 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 11:13 pm
Apparently the new Jafar Panahi now has English subtitles.
Dooood the wait from when that guy said "I have the subs" til they appeared was a real test of patience.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » February 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

sebby

Post by sebby » February 4th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Liam neeson admitting that he walked the streets wanting to murder black people sure is a strange way to promote his new movie.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 4th, 2019, 11:59 pm

sebby wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 10:15 pm
Liam neeson admitting that he walked the streets wanting to murder black people sure is a strange way to promote his new movie.
I read a brief bit about that - doesn't' give the year or age he was, which to me certainly makes a difference. If he was 15 when this incident happened that's one thing; if it was last year when he was 65 though...

sebby

Post by sebby » February 5th, 2019, 2:12 am

OldAle1 wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 11:59 pm
sebby wrote:
I read a brief bit about that - doesn't' give the year or age he was, which to me certainly makes a difference. If he was 15 when this incident happened that's one thing; if it was last year when he was 65 though...
15 would be better than 65 i guess, but one week stalking the streets thinking "any black bastard will do" is pretty horrifying no matter the age. he also only addressed the vengeance aspect of this being problematic, not the racial one. which, ya know, is kind of a big deal. pretty sure if his friend/family member said "it was a white guy with brown hair and blue eyes" instead, he wouldn't have reacted the same way.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 5th, 2019, 11:14 pm

sebby wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:12 am
OldAle1 wrote:
sebby wrote:
15 would be better than 65 i guess, but one week stalking the streets thinking "any black bastard will do" is pretty horrifying no matter the age. he also only addressed the vengeance aspect of this being problematic, not the racial one. which, ya know, is kind of a big deal. pretty sure if his friend/family member said "it was a white guy with brown hair and blue eyes" instead, he wouldn't have reacted the same way.
Sorry I think that's BS. If he was 15 (or--younger, anyway) and just being honest about his attitudes at the time, and demonstrating that his attitudes have changed since then and he'd never think like that today, what is the problem? It means there's hope for all the other racially motivated nonsense, too.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 5th, 2019, 11:37 pm

weirdboy wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:14 pm
sebby wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:12 am
OldAle1 wrote:

Sorry I think that's BS. If he was 15 (or--younger, anyway) and just being honest about his attitudes at the time, and demonstrating that his attitudes have changed since then and he'd never think like that today, what is the problem? It means there's hope for all the other racially motivated nonsense, too.
Like I said, he didn't even acknowledge the racial aspect of his vengeance-seeking as problematic now, as a world traveled 65 year old man. That's not an issue? Also, he was roughly 30, not 15. I don't doubt his sincerity when he says he regretted his actions, but I also truly wonder how he would react now faced with the same situation. And i don't believe he would have done the same if it was a brit or a scot, as he claims. Otherwise why immediately ask the woman what colour the man was? While I agree it's good to have honest conversations about race and how one can grow over time, they actually have to be honest. Behaving like a racist and then playing the "But I'm not a racist" card isn't the way to do it. Neeson went halfway towards owning his behavior, but he could have opened up a much more real, fruitful dialogue by saying "I harbor racist thoughts despite my desire to be something better, and in this instance that racism manifested in an incredibly horrifying way." But bc it's career suicide he doesn't admit the obvious -- the racism -- and so we have another instance of a wealthy privileged dude downplaying the real issue to save his own ass.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 5th, 2019, 11:59 pm

yo, fuck Liam Neeson, didn't he realize he might someday have to live in the future? I want my movie stars pure, like flawless diamonds, completely unblemished, mimicking nothing of reality. Hyper-escapism. Why does Marvel even cast people in their films? They should be 100% CG, produced by artificial intelligence. No human hand or thought should sully my hallowed entertainment.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 6th, 2019, 1:36 am

i'm not saying the guy's career should be over, but what he did was horrifying. A 30 year old man stalking the streets for a week looking to kill black people with a crow bar isn't a slightly unpolished diamond, funky. Is this reality to you? have you done this? Have most people? He brought this incident up. It's now a national conversation. It would be nice if it was an honest and fruitful one, but it can't be unless the dude opens up about his latent racism and how it turned him into a monster.

And to be completely fucking honest, the number of white people jumping to the defense of this white dude that wanted to randomly kill black people is fucking sickening.

Liam Neeson can be forgiven for acting like the literal embodiment of every POC's worst nightmare if he is truly contrite and a changed man. But we nevertheless should not diminish what he did, dude. And we need to acknowledge that that way of thinking is, in 2019, still rather common. This idea that one black person's actions are representative of all black people is straight from the alt-right MAGA playbook.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 6th, 2019, 1:56 am

First off, I did not say what he did was acceptable behavior so stop insinuating that I'm okay with black people being murdered. That's the sort of outrageous commentary that stops discussion. He said simply having the desire to do so is the greatest regret of his life. He grew up in Northern Ireland in a time when you'd kill your neighbor and their entire family for not agreeing with you on whether Jesus is in a wafer or not, so, his violent thoughts aren't surprising. Racism, and a tolerance for violence, is a social issue, not just one person's individual psychological issue (as the journalist tried to frame it by having a "professional" diagnosis him by proxy, which was weird and gross) and vilifying one person isn't going to fix anything. It's just going to stop anyone in the future from coming out and saying "hey, I was wrong about something but I've changed" because you will be labeled a monster and never be able to go out in public again. Accepting that people can change, and forgiving them for their past mistakes (not necessarily tolerating those mistakes!), might help. and that's ultimately what I was criticizing. the Twitterverse and clickbait journalism that fuels it aren't interested in change or dialogue. It's only interested in collective anger, vilification, and self-gratification. Liam Neeson was just the subject of everyone's outrage wank yesterday.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 6th, 2019, 2:31 am

funky:

I'm sorry, I can't go along with the idea that it's "outrage wanking" to explode at a man who, by his own admission, came thisclose to killing a random black dude with a crow bar without cause. He deserves to be shit on for his past the same way someone like Polanski does. what if he stalked the streets for a week looking for a child to rape? would you be downplaying it as much as this, a crime of similar if not greater gravity?

Now if he actually starts a constructive conversation about it, all the better. but right now he seems much more interested in doing damage control. your point about ppl jumping all over him for talking about this preventing ppl in the future from doing similar completely misses the mark -- if neeson actually said, "hey i did this thing bc i harbored a lot of anger and racist feelings and it manifested in the worst way, let's acknowledge and talk about that," black twitter and clickbait journalism and whoever you're jumping on for villifying him would absolutely not be reacting the same way. we could be having that conversation. but again, that's not what he's doing. "revenge is wrong, and also, i'm not a racist" is what he's doing.

Also, outrageous exaggeration that i insinuated i think you're cool with black people getting murdered. not sure where you're getting that from, and just feels like bait.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 6th, 2019, 2:56 am

I like that from one story about violent thoughts, that he might have made up just to illustrate that revenge is bad, people have extrapolated that he's still an extreme racist who wants to murder black people, and if you defend someone's ability to change and progress as an individual, you are also marked a racist. Pick a side, we're not about progress, or people's lives or well-beings, this is just sport.

I don't know what Liam Neeson is or was or will be. His past actions were wrong but he seems to acknowledge that wholeheartedly in the initial story. But you don't seem particularly interested in nuance, jumping from one hyperbolic rhetorical statement to another. which to quote you, is straight from the alt-right MAGA playbook. "Funkybusiness might be a perfectly great guy but he's defending a person I have labelled a racist also I've equated that to raping 13 year-olds, therefore he is probably a racist and wants black people murdered and is fine with child predators. I'll let him defend himself but I've already put the statement out there that he's probably the worst, so, ya know, whatever. fuck 'em."

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 6th, 2019, 3:03 am

sebby wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 2:31 am
if neeson actually said, "hey i did this thing bc i harbored a lot of anger and racist feelings and it manifested in the worst way, let's acknowledge and talk about that,"
WTF did you actually read the fucking interview? He says almost exactly that.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 6th, 2019, 5:37 am

funkybusiness wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 2:56 am
I like that from one story about violent thoughts, that he might have made up just to illustrate that revenge is bad, people have extrapolated that he's still an extreme racist who wants to murder black people, and if you defend someone's ability to change and progress as an individual, you are also marked a racist. Pick a side, we're not about progress, or people's lives or well-beings, this is just sport.

I don't know what Liam Neeson is or was or will be. His past actions were wrong but he seems to acknowledge that wholeheartedly in the initial story. But you don't seem particularly interested in nuance, jumping from one hyperbolic rhetorical statement to another. which to quote you, is straight from the alt-right MAGA playbook. "Funkybusiness might be a perfectly great guy but he's defending a person I have labelled a racist also I've equated that to raping 13 year-olds, therefore he is probably a racist and wants black people murdered and is fine with child predators. I'll let him defend himself but I've already put the statement out there that he's probably the worst, so, ya know, whatever. fuck 'em."
This is some more weird nonsense. So now you're jumping to some weird hypothetical that he may have made up this story, which not even he is claiming? Take a step back and look at that statement, man....

And to misquote and misrepresent what I said while oh-so-ironically claiming that I'm the one not interested in nuance? Shit, man. Cherry on top of a pretty disgraceful set of posts. You're generally pretty reasonable, man. I'll chalk this up as a bad day or -- again, ironic -- overreactionary arrow-slinging at perceived overreactionaries.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 6th, 2019, 5:52 am

weirdboy wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 3:03 am
sebby wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 2:31 am
if neeson actually said, "hey i did this thing bc i harbored a lot of anger and racist feelings and it manifested in the worst way, let's acknowledge and talk about that,"
WTF did you actually read the fucking interview? He says almost exactly that.
Yeah, I did. And unless something new has come to light, all I've seen him condemn is his need for vengeance as a form of honoring/standing up for a woman, not the racist aspect of targeting all black people with whom he may have made contact during the week+ he decided it was cool to become a homicidal maniac. He did say "well, hey he could have killed me too" when Robin Roberts explicitly stated why a black person could empathize with being in a situation where a Liam Neeson type picks a fight with him and thus being hurt by this news. Does that sound like a man who actually realizes why people are upset, or someone that's totally tone-deaf? Also nice that he awkwardly threw in a fucking plug for his movie at the end of what was a serious interview about a rising controversy about wanting to kill some blacks.

So shit, if the Liam Neeson hill is the one you guys want to die on, so be it. I'd have expected this on reddit, but am surprised to see it here. All the dude is doing is saying "violence is bad" and "the troubles, the troubles" while a lot of black people shake their heads. He can't see the forest for the trees.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 6th, 2019, 6:13 am

I think his words are taken out of context, personally. I think he regrets BOTH the racism and the vengeance, but because the movie was about vengeance he focused on that aspect. Naturally he made a mistake in not being brutally clear and didn't anticipate that the journalist was going to write up the interview in that fashion, but that's why PR folks basically advise actors to say absolutely nothing interesting during any interview.

Also nice that he awkwardly threw in a fucking plug for his movie at the end of what was a serious interview about a rising controversy about wanting to kill some blacks.
You are aware that actors have series of interviews (called "film junkets") when movies they star in are released, for the purpose of promoting the film in question, right? In fact you can be sure that the interview that started the whole thing is one of these junkets because one of the other stars of the film was sitting next to Neeson during the interview.

I'm not saying Neeson didn't put his foot in his mouth, but I also don't think he genuinely didn't realize what he did was racist. I think his comments about regretting what he did were specifically that he realized he was being racist and (eventually) learned this lesson, luckily without acting on his impulses at the time.
Last edited by weirdboy on February 6th, 2019, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 6th, 2019, 6:17 am

weirdboy wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:13 am

You are aware that actors have series of interviews (called "film junkets") when movies they star in are released, for the purpose of promoting the film in question, right? In fact you can be sure that the interview that started the whole thing is one of these junkets because one of the other stars of the film was sitting next to Neeson during the interview.
You are aware that there is a time and place to shill your latest action flick and a serious conversation about your younger self's desire to lynch black people ain't it, right?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 6th, 2019, 6:19 am

This is some more weird nonsense. So now you're jumping to some weird hypothetical that he may have made up this story, which not even he is claiming? Take a step back and look at that statement, man....
It was a reference to your own initial statement that it was a strange way to promote his new movie.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 6th, 2019, 6:21 am

sebby wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:17 am
weirdboy wrote:

You are aware that there is a time and place to shill your latest action flick and a serious conversation about your younger self's desire to lynch black people ain't it, right?
You have inverted the order of events. He was on a junket interview to promote his film, and burst out with this other revelation, which is why in the original interview the author quotes the co-actor as being surprised by this disclosure. He blurts this thing out, then says he deeply regrets his actions and motivations at the time, and then closes with typical PR junket "hey violence is bad, but check out my movie!"

The author led with the racism thing because that sells copies.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 6th, 2019, 6:23 am

weirdboy wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:21 am
sebby wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:17 am
weirdboy wrote:

You have inverted the order of events. He was on a junket interview to promote his film, and burst out with this other revelation, which is why in the original interview the author quotes the co-actor as being surprised by this disclosure. He blurts this thing out, then says he deeply regrets his actions and motivations at the time, and then closes with typical PR junket "hey violence is bad, but check out my movie!"

The author led with the racism thing because that sells copies.
No, I'm referring to the second interview on GMA which was solely about him stumbling around doing damage control, not the first one where he blurts out the story.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 6th, 2019, 6:25 am

funkybusiness wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:19 am
It was a reference to your own initial statement that it was a strange way to promote his new movie.
Oh, you thought I was being serious.

I was not. That was snark. Which i assumed was plenty obvious.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 6th, 2019, 6:26 am

sebby wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:25 am
funkybusiness wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 6:19 am
Oh, you thought I was being serious.

I was not. That was snark. Which i assumed was plenty obvious.
This is turning into that sequence in a Scooby Doo episode with the doors, in and out and back again, one is the chaser and then becomes the chased. Yeah, I knew it was sarcasm.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 6th, 2019, 6:28 am

WTF I am so confused at this point.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 7th, 2019, 6:00 pm

I should reach 8000 films fairly soon (91 to go), especially if I choose to do another quick marathon of short films.

Any idea what would make a good film for #8000? I'm thinking of seeing God's Not Dead.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 7th, 2019, 6:05 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 6:00 pm
I should reach 8000 films fairly soon (91 to go), especially if I choose to do another quick marathon of short films.

Any idea what would make a good film for #8000? I'm thinking of seeing God's Not Dead.
An EXCELLENT choice, but why not do the whole trilogy for #s 7999, 8000, 8001?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 7th, 2019, 6:10 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 6:05 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

An EXCELLENT choice, but why not do the whole trilogy for #s 7999, 8000, 8001?
I'm actually tempted to do that now.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » February 7th, 2019, 7:15 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:

You messed up, that should have been your 7 777th.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » February 7th, 2019, 11:32 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 4:30 pm
Hong Sang-soo's Grass is now online... but once again no English subtitles.
It has English subs now. Definitely gonna see it tomorrow.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » February 8th, 2019, 1:00 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 11:32 pm
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 4:30 pm
Hong Sang-soo's Grass is now online... but once again no English subtitles.
It has English subs now. Definitely gonna see it tomorrow.
Bah. Watermarked AND Chinese hardcoded. I am not in that much of a rush.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 8th, 2019, 2:57 am

I am going to wait for the 16K, Titano-stereo, 4D MegaQuasar Deluxe version that gets beamed directly onto my inner eyelids.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 10th, 2019, 5:21 am

Anyone seen anything about this upcoming Johnny Depp film Minamata?

RBG

Post by RBG » February 10th, 2019, 6:00 am

i finally watched la la land on the plane. ummmmmmmmm no
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

fori

Post by fori » February 10th, 2019, 6:17 am

RBG wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 6:00 am
What did you dislike about it? I don’t like it either, but I recall the effects being very good.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 10th, 2019, 7:19 am

RBG wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 6:00 am
I'm not sure you could find a worse place to watch that film. I mean, I'd recommend "doctor's office during a colonoscopy" over a plane. :shrug:

RBG

Post by RBG » February 10th, 2019, 11:21 am

honestly i had little desire to watch it but less desire to watch anything else there. it just seemed really phony. the opening scene reminded me a lot of the 80s film fame. gosling's whiny jerk and emma stone smiling so much it hurt. and the ending....too corny!! as a fan of old hollywood musicals, i just :shrug:

"but i don't know what i'll do if i can't play jazz" :( sorry oldale, you know i love you but :yucky:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » February 10th, 2019, 12:47 pm

I'm not a fan of La La Land either. To me it's The Artist (2011) of the musical genre, a musical for people who don't really like musicals. The likes of Astaire/Rogers could elevate a bland script by being great performers but this remained a bog-standard Gosling/Stone romcom with tacked on musical segments. Good actors but they don't have the pizzazz for this sort of thing.