Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

The Film Lounge

OldAle1
Donator

Re: The Film Lounge

Post by OldAle1 » December 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 9:02 pm
What's the deal with Dutch movies and sex? It seems like every Dutch movie I watched this year has at least one sex scene. Just watched my second Dutch movie of the month and in both movies some adult man has sex with a minor girl. Is this their way of attracting an audience?
I dunno, but if you could post some explicit, uncensored pictures maybe I could tell you.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 18th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Maybe young Dutch filmmakers just really revere Paul Verhoeven.
I thrive best hermit-style.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » December 18th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » December 18th, 2018, 11:04 pm

jvv wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 9:26 pm
https://www.verbluffend.com/75-naakt-en ... dse-films/ (NSW)
Thanks for the recommendations, been hoping to get more exposed to dutch cinema for a while. :sweat:

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » December 22nd, 2018, 11:40 pm

I just found out that the Hungarian National Film Archive had a channel on Vimeo and they had this glorious restoration of György Fehér's Szenvedély on there, I watched it on a shitty TVRip just weeks before they put that up. :facepalm:

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 23rd, 2018, 2:00 am

Ivan0716 wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 11:40 pm
I just found out that the Hungarian National Film Archive had a channel on Vimeo and they had this glorious restoration of György Fehér's Szenvedély on there, I watched it on a shitty TVRip just weeks before they put that up. :facepalm:

And you can download it, with subtitles!

I have subscribed to their channel, what a find!

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 25th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Last night I watched Bad Santa for the first time and enjoyed it greatly. Is the sequel -- without the involvement of the writers, Coen bros., or Terry Zwigoff -- worth watching?
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 25th, 2018, 4:29 pm

God, I effin' love Bad Santa. I haven't seen the sequel, and feel fairly sure it will be terrible, but I just wanted to share that.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » December 25th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 3:03 pm
Last night I watched Bad Santa for the first time and enjoyed it greatly. Is the sequel -- without the involvement of the writers, Coen bros., or Terry Zwigoff -- worth watching?
I am also interested in this inquiry. Haven't seen the sequel either but Bad Santa has been a Christmas staple for me for years now. The absence of the original writers and Zwigoff for the sequel were huge red flags, and the trailers didn't help.
I thrive best hermit-style.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » December 25th, 2018, 8:06 pm

No skip it. Sequel was made too late and faintly depressing in how inferior it was.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 25th, 2018, 10:52 pm

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 5:48 pm
Carmel1379 wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 3:03 pm
I am also interested in this inquiry. Haven't seen the sequel either but Bad Santa has been a Christmas staple for me for years now. The absence of the original writers and Zwigoff for the sequel were huge red flags, and the trailers didn't help.
To provide a counterpoint to brokenface, I actually enjoyed the two about the same - I think the first was better, but the second was still solid. It did what I like with sequels that occur long after the fact - it wasn't so much advancing the plot or characters, but more about nostalgia and recreating that magical reason you enjoyed the first one. For me, BS2 was pretty successful at bringing me back to why I really liked the first film.

That said, Lauren Graham was my favorite part about the first, and Christina Hendricks just didn't substitute well. But the kid's storyline was hilarious, and Kathy Bates is awesome in everything she does.

fori

Post by fori » December 26th, 2018, 3:37 am

Sequels “about nostalgia and recreating that magical reason you enjoyed the first one“ are exactly the kind of bullshit we should be sick of by now.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 26th, 2018, 3:55 am

fori wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 3:37 am
Sequels “about nostalgia and recreating that magical reason you enjoyed the first one“ are exactly the kind of bullshit we should be sick of by now.
I hear Werner Fritsch and JLG laughed their asses off at Bad Santa 2.

fori

Post by fori » December 26th, 2018, 5:36 am

Meanwhile Kubrick & Ron Howard would really love classics like American Psycho II: All-American Girl & S Darko.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 26th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Major props to the trailer editors here. Turning "I Got 5 on It," for instance, into a creepy horror theme was someone's stroke of genius. Give them a raise.

I also like that no one really knows what the film is about yet but people are already analyzing the shit out of it.

I only liked, did not love, Get Out, but I admired its attention to detail and the extra layers that appear when you watch it a second time. This one really has my curiosity though, as I love
SpoilerShow
doppelganger
-themed movies and the rich thematic potential they hold.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 28th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Maybe this'll interest some fellow Cronenberg fans

http://cronenbergmuseum.tiff.net/
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 28th, 2018, 6:03 pm

It does, thank you!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 28th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Has anyone seen Bandersnatch? This was just added to Netflix here and apparently it consists of a total of 300 min of material of which you only get 90 min based on the choices you make during the movie. So at some points in the plot you make a plot decision and the movie continues based on that.

Has this been done before? I haven't seen anything like this yet and am intrigued to watch it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 28th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Steven Soderbergh did something similar with a series called Mosaic. The idea is also similar to video games by Telltale Games, such as their Walking Dead series, where gameplay consists almost entirely of making decisions and dialogue choices which affect the direction of the plot.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 28th, 2018, 7:34 pm

I knew it was done in games already (I don't play videogames btw), but didn't know of any movies yet.
ICM-profile

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » December 30th, 2018, 2:18 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 6:48 pm
Has anyone seen Bandersnatch? This was just added to Netflix here and apparently it consists of a total of 300 min of material of which you only get 90 min based on the choices you make during the movie. So at some points in the plot you make a plot decision and the movie continues based on that.

Has this been done before? I haven't seen anything like this yet and am intrigued to watch it.
I noticed your post here, but already posted on the Black Mirror thread, reposting here:

Anyone check out the new episode? Do you think this is the future of television, i.e. interactive stuff? I do wonder how this affects torrenting and streaming and how all of this develops further - if this picks up I guess some of the series/films could be viewed "properly" only on legal approved platforms (ironically the new episode is not available on Apple TV and Chromecast, heh). This could be an important development.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 30th, 2018, 4:17 pm

bal3x wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 2:18 pm
joachimt wrote:

I noticed your post here, but already posted on the Black Mirror thread, reposting here:

Anyone check out the new episode? Do you think this is the future of television, i.e. interactive stuff? I do wonder how this affects torrenting and streaming and how all of this develops further - if this picks up I guess some of the series/films could be viewed "properly" only on legal approved platforms (ironically the new episode is not available on Apple TV and Chromecast, heh). This could be an important development.
i think it could be a future side of the future but not the only one
i remember couple of years after dvds came there was talk about interactive movies being the future so (maybe there was some demos) im very surprised there havent been pretty much any besides that. if with dvds that can be done (like clicking the menu) then surely with torrents too? the size just would be massive if chosen great quality but then again connections are so fast these days

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » December 30th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Yeah, but I think they could integrate some technology that would not be so easy to "crack" so essentially I guess the torrent would be a regular linear film whereas the real thing could contain more features - this is just a speculation, but I would imagine the studios would be very much interested in such solutions.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 30th, 2018, 8:01 pm

bal3x wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 6:06 pm
Yeah, but I think they could integrate some technology that would not be so easy to "crack" so essentially I guess the torrent would be a regular linear film whereas the real thing could contain more features - this is just a speculation, but I would imagine the studios would be very much interested in such solutions.
That sort of thing is trivial. There are myriad engines that have been developed for playing things with branching storylines from videogames and the like. There is nothing new about branching video.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » December 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

weirdboy wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 8:01 pm
bal3x wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 6:06 pm
That sort of thing is trivial. There are myriad engines that have been developed for playing things with branching storylines from videogames and the like. There is nothing new about branching video.
Yes, I guess it is, I was thinking more about this being just the beginning of some technical solutions that would not be so easily transformed into a simple torrent, but obviously once this goes mainstream solutions will be found :)

HVM

Post by HVM » December 30th, 2018, 9:29 pm

joachimt wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinoautomat

Have yet to watch it...

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » December 31st, 2018, 4:29 pm

HVM wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 9:29 pm
joachimt wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinoautomat

Have yet to watch it...
"No matter what choices are made, the end result is the burning building, making the film—as Činčera intended—a satire of democracy."

:D

fori

Post by fori » January 1st, 2019, 11:03 pm

As we enter 2019, it is worth noting that with each year that goes by, it is increasingly a more solid position to hold that the best film was produced more than a century ago. Intolerance passed that mark a few years ago, and now The Outlaw and His Wife, The Blue Bird, and one of my favourites (if not favourite without exception) of the decade Tih Minh, have all done the same.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » January 2nd, 2019, 2:03 pm

Chinese arthouse film breaks box office records after viewers mistake it for romcom

A Long Day’s Journey Into Night took $38m on its opening day, but many viewers ‘tricked’ by marketing that painted it as a seasonal romcom, rather than a challenging drama
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... into-night

flaiky

Post by flaiky » January 2nd, 2019, 2:30 pm

Ha! $38 million, that is quite a coup! Funny. Even at my festival screening there were several walk-outs, so I can imagine how hopeless it would be for people expecting a mainstream romcom.

That said, it's their fault for not researching the film before watching it. All the reviews make clear that it's a highly unconventional film.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 2nd, 2019, 2:34 pm

rnilsson19 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 2:03 pm
Chinese arthouse film breaks box office records after viewers mistake it for romcom

A Long Day’s Journey Into Night took $38m on its opening day, but many viewers ‘tricked’ by marketing that painted it as a seasonal romcom, rather than a challenging drama
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... into-night
I thought this was hilarious until I saw this part:
...a campaign suggested the film (which has no connection to the classic Eugene O’Neill play) was the perfect first-date film
and
“How will you spend your last night of 2018? Watching ‘Last Night On Earth’ or eating a big meal?”
Jesus fucking Christ, that's just heartless.

Is there a Chinese trailer? I'd be interested to see just how they managed to dress it up as a romcom.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » January 2nd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Found the trailer: http://news.mtime.com/2018/12/31/1587696-all.html

Well, I don't think there's anything dishonest about it, apart from the music maybe.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » January 2nd, 2019, 11:02 pm

On the plus side Bi now has financing for his next 38 features. :P

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » January 2nd, 2019, 11:42 pm

Not paying premium for a couple of months :$ could anyone export my checks pretty please?

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/che ... r=hunziker
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Hunziker wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 11:42 pm
Not paying premium for a couple of months :$ could anyone export my checks pretty please?

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/che ... r=hunziker
You can do that yourself. The script iCM Enhanced has that feature built in. I highly recommend it, I use it all the time.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm

Has anyone got the book of Time Out's 1000 Film to Change Your Life? I watched My Girl yesterday and I watched My Girl 2 today. I can't imagine why they listed part 2 instead of part 1.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 3rd, 2019, 10:03 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm
Has anyone got the book of Time Out's 1000 Film to Change Your Life? I watched My Girl yesterday and I watched My Girl 2 today. I can't imagine why they listed part 2 instead of part 1.
No, but I just requested it from the library. Should be here in a few days - remind me and I can take a look.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » January 4th, 2019, 1:19 am

joachimt wrote:
I have it.

My Girl 2, p.147:
SpoilerShow
Who'd ever thought we'd get upset by Macaulay Culkin being stung to death by bees?
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 4th, 2019, 7:46 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 1:19 am
joachimt wrote:
I have it.

My Girl 2, p.147:
SpoilerShow
Who'd ever thought we'd get upset by Macaulay Culkin being stung to death by bees?
Huh? The events you describe in the spoiler are from part 1.
ICM-profile

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » January 4th, 2019, 1:32 pm

The actor in question doesn't even appear in that film