Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

The Film Lounge

beavis

Re: The Film Lounge

Post by beavis » November 17th, 2018, 9:45 pm

not much to reccomend you haven't seen yet. Lo Sceicco Bianco maybe… I liked it a lot, but it's nothing really major...

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 17th, 2018, 9:51 pm

First, you've seen one of the Naruse films of that year, you've got another watch-listed, so you might as well see the third, Okunei to Gohei as well, which I liked just about as much as Okaasan and a little more than Inazuma. Ozu's Ochazuke no aji is also pretty terrific. Of your to-see list besides the Naruse, I really love Park Row and The Captive City.

Others -

The Big Sky
The Crimson Pirate
A Phantasy
Red Planet Mars
- no question I''m an outlier on this - its a commie paranoid SF film and something about it just clicks for me; given your tastes in "outsider" cinema you are one of the few I'd recommend it to here
Son of Paleface
The Stranger Left No Card
Without Warning!
- severely underrated/underseen police procedural-noir, especially notable for the really excellent location work

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 17th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Looking through a list of 1952 films, I keep seeing ones I enjoyed and then checking your rym list, and... you've already seen them.

I think you might like Park Row. It's pretty radical and has had a positive reappraisal over the last few years since its dvd release.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 17th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Would I enjoy Lo Sceicco Bianco [The White Shiek] if I usually don't enjoy Fellini's work?

Without Warning sounds interesting and it's on Arthur Lyons' noir book which I find has many good noirs. I also downloaded La minute de vérité [The Moment of Truth] as it has Jean Gabin and his films are usually great. Red Planet Mars sounds entertaining yet a risky watch.

I'll eventually get to the Naruse films, maybe even rewatching Lightning. Although I am trying to avoid them for now cause I noticed in the other years that Naruse and Mizoguchi films end up making my top 10 of that year. I wanna have some more variety. However, for these years it might not be an option. It's also only gonna be harder from year when I enter the WWII era.

RBG

Post by RBG » November 17th, 2018, 11:07 pm

duel at silver creek with audie murphy :D i love the big sky even tho not a fan of kirk douglas

joan crawford in sudden fear! oh you've seen that one

don't bother to knock?

my son john??
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

insomnius

Post by insomnius » November 18th, 2018, 12:15 am

You might like 'Wienerinnen'. Not quite a favorite for me, but I should give it another go sometime.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 18th, 2018, 12:44 am

newly reconstructed Dziga Vertov film is premiering at the IDFA next week! Woo! Hopefully this makes it outside of the IDFA.

https://variety.com/2018/film/global/id ... e-comments

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 18th, 2018, 1:24 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:05 pm
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Would I enjoy Lo Sceicco Bianco [The White Shiek] if I usually don't enjoy Fellini's work?
It's early Fellini, so very different from his later stuff. It's a fun little movie.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

max-scl

Post by max-scl » November 18th, 2018, 1:28 am

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 18th, 2018, 5:53 pm

I'll definitely look up Wienerinnen. Someone who I trust thought that Si muero antes de despertar was meh, but it has good ratings on letterboxd so I may get around it. I really wanna see Las aguas bajan turbias but it has no English subs.

EDIT: Have an idea for more recs as well. There are 126 films from 1952 that were submitted for the <400 list. I'll go through them as well.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » November 18th, 2018, 8:55 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 10:45 pm
Gershwin wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 7:56 pm
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is now available! :guns:
Loved it. And wow I watched a western before Kas did
A very fine film indeed. Not yet completely sure about my final rating, because it calls for so many emotions. Gives tragicomic a new meaning.

In other news: Near Dark. Just watched it. Good film.

Has there ever been an analysis how this is metaphorically hinting at the AIDS epidemic? That might be extremely interesting.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 18th, 2018, 11:19 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:01 pm
I think you might like Park Row. It's pretty radical and has had a positive reappraisal over the last few years since its dvd release.
Good call on Park Row. Amazing film.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » November 19th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Revisited Meshes recently with sound which enhanced the experience significantly. The new cover is awesome by the way: http://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/mesh ... afternoon/ B)
Top 100|Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » November 21st, 2018, 5:07 am

Is this ubu link really Breer's Lmno (1978)? Runtime and description do not match.

edit: Found it elsewhere. It is not.
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 21st, 2018, 5:32 am

Hunziker wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 5:07 am
Is this ubu link really Breer's Lmno (1978)? Runtime and description do not match.

edit: Found it elsewhere. It is not.
if you click the red link to the mp4, yes, that's it. the credits say LMNO and it's got the gendarme and the fishes and all that. it's 5 seconds shorter than the one I watched (probably blank vhs bits cut or something), but it's the right film.

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » November 22nd, 2018, 2:37 am

You're 100% right, funky. Never encountered that bug before tbh.

Couldn't find a Book Lounge I could have sworn existed, didn't know where else to post this:
Looking for book recommendations on experimental and/or avant-garde cinema.

iCM -Twitter

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 22nd, 2018, 4:58 am

Hunziker wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 2:37 am
You're 100% right, funky. Never encountered that bug before tbh.

Couldn't find a Book Lounge I could have sworn existed, didn't know where else to post this:
Depends on how avant-garde your definition might be, of course there's about ten thousand books on the silent soviets, and there tends to be much more written about older (usually much older) films but, all that aside, here are some I've enjoyed reading:
Jean Epstein - Critical Essays and New Translations (available here http://www.oapen.org/search?identifier=413034 )
David Thomas - Vertov, Snow, Farocki
Philip Cavendish - The Men With the Movie Camera
Film as Film: Formal Experiment in Film 1910-1975
Malcolm Turvey - The Filming of Modern Life: European Avant-Garde Film of the 1920s
Scott MacDonald - The Garden in the Machine (his A Critical Cinema series is quite good as well)
Dziga Vertov - Kino Eye: The Writings of Dziga Vertov
Peter Gidal - Materialist Film
Peter Gidal - Structural Film Anthology
Stan Brakhage also has many writings available, the best known of which is probably Metaphors on Vision, but his Lectures/Biographies are quite good as well, although not entirely focused on the avant-garde.

and here's an article by Luke Fowler recommending a bunch of books. He writes about six of them but there's a full list of his recs towards the bottom.
https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/new ... books-film

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » November 22nd, 2018, 5:41 am

funky knows his business, I'll just add that P. Adams Sitney is an excellent historian and theorist on the field(s). His Visionary Film: The American Avant-Garde (1943–2000) is an essential book and can be flipped through here: https://archive.org/details/Visionary_F ... AvantGarde

The BFI article by Luke Fowler above mentions the book Useful Cinema, be aware that this book largely doesn't deal directly with avant-garde / experimental. Most of the focus is on orphaned films / sponsored films / utility films /educational film / non-theatrical film. Not saying that there's no experimental tendencies in these types of film, but I think making a distinction is useful (heh). It discusses films more in the realm of the obscurities on the National Film Library list rather than the Anthology Archives list if you catch my drift, to take an ICheckMovies example.
Last edited by Lilarcor on November 22nd, 2018, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » November 22nd, 2018, 5:41 am

P. Adams Sitney! I knew I was forgetting something essential.

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » November 22nd, 2018, 8:19 am

funkybusiness wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 4:58 am
Hunziker wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 2:37 am
Depends on how avant-garde your definition might be, of course there's about ten thousand books on the silent soviets, and there tends to be much more written about older (usually much older) films but, all that aside, here are some I've enjoyed reading:
Jean Epstein - Critical Essays and New Translations (available here http://www.oapen.org/search?identifier=413034 )
David Thomas - Vertov, Snow, Farocki
Philip Cavendish - The Men With the Movie Camera
Film as Film: Formal Experiment in Film 1910-1975
Malcolm Turvey - The Filming of Modern Life: European Avant-Garde Film of the 1920s
Scott MacDonald - The Garden in the Machine (his A Critical Cinema series is quite good as well)
Dziga Vertov - Kino Eye: The Writings of Dziga Vertov
Peter Gidal - Materialist Film
Peter Gidal - Structural Film Anthology
Stan Brakhage also has many writings available, the best known of which is probably Metaphors on Vision, but his Lectures/Biographies are quite good as well, although not entirely focused on the avant-garde.

and here's an article by Luke Fowler recommending a bunch of books. He writes about six of them but there's a full list of his recs towards the bottom.
https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/new ... books-film
Wow. Thanks!

I've only read Metaphors on Vision, and I remember flipping through some of Vertov's writings before I really was into avant-garde. I do tend to be more interested by the movements of the second half of the century. I like dada and all the 20s craziness just fine, but there's something about American Structuralism that hits all the right spots.

I'll see what I can get my hands on. The avant-garde cinema sections in public libraries are often depressingly poor.

Lilarcor wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 5:41 am
It discusses films more in the realm of the obscurities on the National Film Library list rather than the Anthology Archives list if you catch my drift, to take an ICheckMovies example.
Yes. Perfect way to illustrate the difference. :lol:

iCM -Twitter

RBG

Post by RBG » November 24th, 2018, 2:31 am

ok what the fuck did i just watch
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 24th, 2018, 2:56 am

We had to watch a trailer for that film in one of my classes but it looked awful and dumb, but all trailers make all films look awful and dumb so Idk
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

RBG

Post by RBG » November 24th, 2018, 3:05 am

it threw a lot of stuff out there, enough of it worked to keep it interesting but the twist was... even worse than get out. idk
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » November 24th, 2018, 3:07 am

RBG wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 2:31 am

ok what the fuck did i just watch
Right?

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 24th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Nuri Bilge Ceylan's The Wild Pear Tree is online.

fori

Post by fori » November 25th, 2018, 2:52 am

Directed by Jiang Wen
Original Story by William Shakespeare

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 25th, 2018, 8:03 am

Just got back from seeing the Suspiria remake... What a piece of shit. Two and a half hours of forgettable trash. An insult to the original. I hated the original the first time I saw it, but it stayed on my mind for days. The only thing you'll remember from this is the agony you feel having to sit through it. Worse acting than the original, crappy dialogue, stupid soundtrack, pointless subplots, no atmosphere or dread. Such a waste of time. 3/10
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » November 25th, 2018, 11:21 am

I still regard the original Suspiria as one of the best and most frightening horror films. I think the music and colour cinematography plays a large part making it memorable with yes dread and atmosphere . No plans to see a remake from this review 😆. I am no horror fan of course.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » November 25th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I liked the Suspiria remake. Thom Yorke's score didn't quite elevate the film in a way that Goblin's did but it did come alive during the dance scenes, which were some of the most striking dance scenes I've ever seen put on screen. The dabbling with the political backdrop was the weakest parts for me along with the rather superfluous subplot and epilogue. A strong 7/10 overall.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 26th, 2018, 12:58 am

I thought the dance stuff was ok but it really didn’t impress me much. It also didn’t help that the lead was about as charismatic and interesting as a piece of cardboard so every scene she was in totally zapped the energy of the editing and sound. I really hated all the music, and I must include a shout out to the awful climax scene which was one of the most amateurish pieces of crap I’ve seen in a while made even worse by the terrible choice of music.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 26th, 2018, 1:10 am

mightysparks wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 12:58 am
I thought the dance stuff was ok but it really didn’t impress me much. It also didn’t help that the lead was about as charismatic and interesting as a piece of cardboard so every scene she was in totally zapped the energy of the editing and sound. I really hated all the music, and I must include a shout out to the awful climax scene which was one of the most amateurish pieces of crap I’ve seen in a while made even worse by the terrible choice of music.
You make it sound pretty good, looking forward to it now.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 26th, 2018, 1:16 am

mightysparks wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 12:58 am
That's an interesting way of saying you thought it was incredibly faithful to the original. :lol:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 26th, 2018, 1:38 am

Nah, even when I hated the original, the music and the visual style was so unique and captivating that despite all the amateurish acting and filmmaking stuff it was such an interesting and memorable film (I liked it much more on a rewatch a few years ago). This is just a bad and generic film that lacks subtlety and emotion. Tilda Swinton is the only good thing about it.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » November 27th, 2018, 6:59 pm

The new Asghar Farhadi film is online, but it's missing English subs :(

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » November 28th, 2018, 12:01 am

Yorke's soundtrack has really grown on me after listening through it on spotify.

fori

Post by fori » December 2nd, 2018, 1:54 pm

Can somebody work out how many of my checks are features? (Excluding TV, miniseries & episodes and of course short films). Any other statistics you could glean would be most useful, thanks.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 2nd, 2018, 3:06 pm

fori wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 1:54 pm
Can somebody work out how many of my checks are features? (Excluding TV, miniseries & episodes and of course short films). Any other statistics you could glean would be most useful, thanks.
It's not something that can be easily done from iCM. Have you rated all your checks on IMDb? Then export your ratings and filter from there. If you haven't extract your checks from iCM (if you can't, I can help you) and add those as a list on IMDb to export from there.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

fori

Post by fori » December 2nd, 2018, 6:32 pm

Ah ok, I may have a go with that then. Thanks.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 2nd, 2018, 11:35 pm

John Waters Top 10 of the Year list is out. Its as peculiar as usual. With the best movie being Dumont’s Jeannette: The Childhood Of Joan Of Arc; “It’s the best movie of the year. You’ll hate it.” :lol:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 3rd, 2018, 8:26 am

omg Le livre d'image