Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Akage, June nominations (May 28th)

The Film Lounge

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Good_Will_Harding wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:51 pm
Torgo wrote: April 25th, 2021, 8:26 pm
joachimt wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:54 pm Just watched Da 5 Bloods. Didn't realize it was a best pic nom.
You must be mixing up something there, because it isn't :) Only nominated for Best Original Score. Some people call that a snub and demand that Lee at least should have gotten the nomination for directing. What I usually notice is how audiences enjoy it way less than critics.
That audience score is almost guaranteed to be the result of trolls and racists spamming the score and down-voting the film until it became rotten - due only to the fact that the film is directed by/features a predominantly black ensemble cast, as well as featuring subject matter relating to current racial issues in America. The critics score is a much stronger indicator of the film's quality.
Oh yeah, that's definitely what happened. Racists are severely triggered by Spike.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

OldAle1 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 12:00 am
Good_Will_Harding wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:54 pm Last minute, personal rankings of this year’s Best Picture nominees at this much belated awards show. I've been fortunate enough to have seen all but one - Trial - in theaters over the course of the last couple of weeks/months (fully vaccinated btw)

Sound of Metal - 10
Nomadland
The Father
Minari - 9
Judas and the Black Messiah
Mank
Trial of the Chicago 7 - 8
Promising Young Woman

Despite a handful of notable exclusions (Never Rarely Sometimes Always and Da 5 Bloods, for example), this is one of the better lineups of recent years imo. Liked them all and there’s nothing here that’s too embarrassing or undeserving, for once. :P
I'm glad to see someone more enthusiastic than me (not that I was that enthusiastic). And good on you for making the effort to go out and see them properly, something I didn't do - I also haven't been vaccinated yet (this week) and I think I'd have had to drive a ways to see most of them - none of them have played here in the past couple of weeks and I suspect a lot of them just were around for a week(end, since the local AMCs were just Fri-Sun for quite a while). Eh, in some ways it's good to go without the big screen for a while - maybe I'll appreciate it all the more when I finally start going again.
Heh, well I saw most of these over a decent span of time and had lots of time to mull them over and compare/contrast to one another. A handful of the upper trier improved more on second viewings, so if you crammed them all in during a day or two marathon, I can see how it might be over or underwhelming. ;)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

kongs_speech wrote: April 26th, 2021, 12:00 am

You must be mixing up something there, because it isn't :) Only nominated for Best Original Score. Some people call that a snub and demand that Lee at least should have gotten the nomination for directing. What I usually notice is how audiences enjoy it way less than critics.
That audience score is almost guaranteed to be the result of trolls and racists spamming the score and down-voting the film until it became rotten - due only to the fact that the film is directed by/features a predominantly black ensemble cast, as well as featuring subject matter relating to current racial issues in America. The critics score is a much stronger indicator of the film's quality.
Oh yeah, that's definitely what happened. Racists are severely triggered by Spike.
:blink: That's your take really? I mean Judas has 96 vs. 95% and Miami 98 vs. 82%, also Ma 98 vs. 74%, two of which are heavily into (racial/civil rights) politics. Must be some pretty lazy racist assault on black films. 3,5 out of 8 comments on ICM are, partly severely, negative, by the way, and I recall negative critique in this forum, too. :shrug: (Oh, and you gentlemen should take a look at Get Out (2017) on Rotten)
Nah, I just think the film isn't very successful or, to make it sound more neutral, doesn't work for a whole lot of the audience. (Haven't seen it myself so far)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: April 26th, 2021, 2:46 am

:blink: That's your take really? I mean Judas has 96 vs. 95% and Miami 98 vs. 82%, also Ma 98 vs. 74%, two of which are heavily into (racial/civil rights) politics. Must be some pretty lazy racist assault on black films. 3,5 out of 8 comments on ICM are, partly severely, negative, by the way, and I recall negative critique in this forum, too. :shrug: (Oh, and you gentlemen should take a look at Get Out (2017) on Rotten)
Nah, I just think the film isn't very successful or, to make it sound more neutral, doesn't work for a whole lot of the audience. (Haven't seen it myself so far)
It does happen - though it seems to be erratic. Black Panther got really heavily shelled with 1s when it came out. So did Spike's Chi-raq. Other films don't. I don't know if people organize campaigns against certain films, but if you watch the votes when the films are new, you can definitely see these patterns sometimes. I think the two you mention were low-enough profile initially that they didn't attract as much negative attention, but I think there are quite a few factors involved - it's not simply "there are black people in this movie, vote it down".
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I'm American. Trust me. Racists fucking hate Spike Lee. I can personally confirm that.
🏳️‍⚧️
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Well, you all couldn't agree on something, so I just went with what I felt like tonight, which was Promising Young Woman. I really liked it. It's the kind of "original" film where no individual element is original, but the way they are put together is unique and felt fresh. I doubt everyone will like it, but if nothing else it makes for good discussion fodder - I'm sure most people will be split down the middle on the ending (for me, it was the final act that really sold the film for me).

It's far from a perfect film for me - a lot of the dialogue, particularly towards the beginning, is way too quippy for me - but first films usually aren't this good. Very interested to see what Fennell does next.

Anyway, just finished the film to hear that it won Best Original Screenplay, and apparently Fennell is the first woman to win a screenplay Oscar in 13 yea--

--wait, what?

Seriously, Oscars?

What the fuck? :shrug:

[edit: I checked. It's true. In either Adapted or Original screenplay, the last woman to win was Diablo Cody for Juno. Many of the films that have won have had 3 or more writers, too, but no women]

Anyway, Nine Inch Nails picked up another Oscar. It's like they're the establishment now, man. :cowbow:

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

kongs_speech wrote: April 26th, 2021, 2:52 am
kongs_speech wrote: April 26th, 2021, 12:00 am Oh yeah, that's definitely what happened. Racists are severely triggered by Spike.
I'm American. Trust me. Racists fucking hate Spike Lee. I can personally confirm that.
;) I trust you on that and know how Spike Lee is a very political figure and outspoken at that.
It's just that I think it's more complicated than that. BlacKkKlansman has a beautiful 96 vs. 83% score on RT, very good on IMDb, people wherever I met them liked it .. and now encounter Da 5 Bloods rather lukewarm.
Don't forget also it's on Netflix, so it will be seen by many more people who know shit about films. If D5B is less accessible than BlacKkK, this would explain enough - without a racist trollstorm over Rotten Tomatoes. :thumbsup:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

outdoorcats wrote: April 26th, 2021, 2:56 am Well, you all couldn't agree on something, so I just went with what I felt like tonight, which was Promising Young Woman. I really liked it. It's the kind of "original" film where no individual element in original, but the way they are put together is unique and felt fresh.
Yeah, pretty much exactly.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Congrats to Nomadland and Chloé Zhao!

I haven't yet seen it, but it sounds like for the second year in a row, a genuinely really good film was actually awarded the big prize. You just know they'll have to make up for it by picking something terrible next year. :D

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

outdoorcats wrote: April 26th, 2021, 2:56 am the last woman to win was Diablo Cody for Juno
And that's the worst movie ever made so this is why women shouldn't be allowed to win awards :folded:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sebby

Post by sebby »

Nomadland was like someone's mediocre vanlife youtube channel put to film. Yawn.

No exciting films nominated at all this year imo. Lot of mediocrity. I heartily agree with what someone said above about the mole agent. how does something like that pass the smell test and get nominated.

Mank was at least fun and had some whipping dialogue, i guess.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

joachimt wrote: April 25th, 2021, 7:54 pm Just watched Da 5 Bloods. Didn't realize it was a best pic nom.
I misread hurluberlu's reply to outdoorcats.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

OldAle1 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 12:00 am And good on you for making the effort to go out and see them properly, something I didn't do - I also haven't been vaccinated yet (this week) and I think I'd have had to drive a ways to see most of them - none of them have played here in the past couple of weeks and I suspect a lot of them just were around for a week(end, since the local AMCs were just Fri-Sun for quite a while). Eh, in some ways it's good to go without the big screen for a while - maybe I'll appreciate it all the more when I finally start going again.
You better because this is waiting for you tehe

Mothravka

Post by Mothravka »

sebby wrote: April 26th, 2021, 5:53 amNo exciting films nominated at all this year imo. Lot of mediocrity.
If you ask me, that is usually the case.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Stay alert, guys!
https://okcfox.com/news/local/oklahoma- ... -years-ago

McBride said over the last 20 years, she's been let go from several jobs without being given a reason why. She told FOX 25, now, it all makes sense.

"This is why... because when they ran my criminal background check, all they're seeing is those two words: felony embezzlement," McBride said.
Poor woman. :pinch:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I still have the very first VHS of South Park we ever rented back in 1998 (eps were Pinkeye, Tom's Rhinoplasty.. and I think another one). We kept it a bit too long and then the video store closed down. But it's not under my name since I was 7 so I don't think I have to worry :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I'm so square I would often return things ahead of schedule if I finished watching them prior to the due date. :lol:
🏳️‍⚧️
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I own my favorite film of all-time now. I went in Best Buy and grabbed a very promising young Blu-Ray today. :D
🏳️‍⚧️
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

kongs_speech wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:19 am I own my favorite film of all-time now. I went in Best Buy and grabbed a very promising young Blu-Ray today. :D
But now you've admitted it's your all-time favorite to EVERYONE!
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I just endured "Mother India" (1957), one of the 40-something films I hadn't seen on 10+ official lists.

I saw it via Amazon Prime. Tell me, are there versions where the songs are subtitled? Because in this version, the songs were unsubbed and I feel like I was robbed of substantial content.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I feel like there's probably a better thread for this, but I can't think of it or find it at the moment.

Came across the wonderfully-titled African Kung-Fu Nazis just now - it's HERE and looks perfectly normal - a very low number of checks but what do you expect? But if you look at the IMDb page you get something weird - no ratings, no place to put ratings. And it has 13 reviews so you'd imagine normally that it'd have more than 5 ratings so a number would be visible, but nada. I think I've seen this thing before or somebody's mentioned a similar instance but no idea how to search for that. Maybe somebody "in charge" thought the title was just terribly offensive or would bring in a bunch of trolls to attack it? But then again THIS film is rateable so...

Weird.
Last edited by OldAle1 on April 29th, 2021, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Hey Ale. It was me who encountered a similar thing for a completely normal 2019- or 2020-film with thousands of votes and no fraudulent behavior to be seen - lasted for a week or so and then went back to normal.
Your instance is the second time I see this. I hope it doesn't happen regularly at IMDb now, like the "check-free evening" on ICM does .. :rolleyes:

You linked the same film twice btw, now I'm curious what your example for a truly unexplicable film would be ..
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm You linked the same film twice btw, now I'm curious what your example for a truly unexplicable film would be ..
I'm guessing Gay Niggers from Outer Space.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:17 pm
Torgo wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm You linked the same film twice btw, now I'm curious what your example for a truly unexplicable film would be ..
Nope. But that would have been equally good. Fixed link now.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Very solid picks for that matter.
So, yeah, it must be a bug or something they're fixing about this title on IMDb, expect to return it soon. (And observe the issue for scientific purposes, please!)
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

OldAle1 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:56 pm I feel like there's probably a better thread for this, but I can't think of it or find it at the moment.

Came across the wonderfully-titled African Kung-Fu Nazis just now - it's HERE and looks perfectly normal - a very low number of checks but what do you expect? But if you look at the IMDb page you get something weird - no ratings, no place to put ratings. And it has 13 reviews so you'd imagine normally that it'd have more than 5 ratings so a number would be visible, but nada. I think I've seen this thing before or somebody's mentioned a similar instance but no idea how to search for that. Maybe somebody "in charge" thought the title was just terribly offensive or would bring in a bunch of trolls to attack it? But then again THIS film is rateable so...

Weird.
Tossing a Nigger in a Blanket has a higher rating than Da 5 Bloods. Stay classy, IMDb. :facepalm:
🏳️‍⚧️
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:56 pm I think I've seen this thing before or somebody's mentioned a similar instance
There you are. You even responded back then!
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

OldAle1 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:56 pm I feel like there's probably a better thread for this, but I can't think of it or find it at the moment.

Weird.
Double-weird - the exact same thing just happened to me for a different film I saw last night, the El-Salvador-produced documentary The Metal Stork. In that case, though, it appears to be that the film is still listed on IMDb as "Post-Production" even though it hasn't been updated since 2012. I submitted some changes on IMDb and hopefully the page should be fixed.

I was able to check it on iCM, where I appear to be the only check. Weird, since it's available on Kanopy through Pragda, has a powerful subject (interviewing people who were displaced or kidnapped as children during El Salvador's civil war in the '80s, and the process of finding their biological families decades later) and is easily the best film I've seen from El Salvador. :shrug:

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Ebbywebby wrote: April 29th, 2021, 8:58 am I just endured "Mother India" (1957), one of the 40-something films I hadn't seen on 10+ official lists.

I saw it via Amazon Prime. Tell me, are there versions where the songs are subtitled? Because in this version, the songs were unsubbed and I feel like I was robbed of substantial content.
BTW, Amazon Prime really seems to be hemorrhaging movies lately. My queue isn't especially large, but I've had to delete about 25 films within what seems like just a few weeks. The one I was most sorry to lose was "An Elephant Sitting Still."
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Onderhond wrote: April 29th, 2021, 3:17 pm
It's Gayniggers. One word. And that of course completely changes the meaning of the title.

[EDIT: I feel like I should point out that the director, Morten Lindberg (aka. "Master Fatman"), started a political party, "The Cosmic Party" that promised that through meditation we could slow down the rotation of the earth and thus all get a little more time every day. I also met him a couple of times, once he was dressed up as Master Fatman and had a Hare Krishna-like entourage and was handing out free hugs at Roskilde Festival. He also hosted a talk show where he'd do nothing but chit chat and pamper his guests (always offering them a glass of Dubonnet). He also claimed to be the reincarnation of Bobby Ewing from the TV Show "Dallas." He generally promoted gentleness and love, including starting an orphanage in Brazil. I'm 100% convinced that anyone taking offense at his movie isn't getting the joke. He sadly died a couple of years ago.]
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Hey sol...

https://www.screendaily.com/news/david- ... 82.article
David Cronenberg to direct Viggo Mortensen, Léa Seydoux, Kristen Stewart in ‘Crimes Of The Future’
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

peeptoad wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:29 pm Hey sol...

David Cronenberg to direct Viggo Mortensen, Léa Seydoux, Kristen Stewart in ‘Crimes Of The Future’
I'm so fucking excited for this. Cronenberg back in genre mode where he belongs, and what a cast!
🏳️‍⚧️
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Yeah I read about this earlier today, sounds fantastic! I’ve liked several of his recent films but I have to admit I’m happy to see him doing what sounds like sci-fi and body horror stuff again.

Interesting that he’s re-using the title of one his early films (and this new film doesn’t really sound like a remake of that film or anything).
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Yeah I read about this earlier today, sounds fantastic! I’ve liked several of his recent films but I have to admit I’m happy to see him doing what sounds like sci-fi and body horror stuff again.

Interesting that he’s re-using the title of one his early films (and this new film doesn’t really sound like a remake of that film or anything).
It is interesting. When I first saw the headline I thought he was remaking one of his early films. And that would have been interesting enough, but this sounds even cooler.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Just gonna leave this here.
Pink Angels (1971)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Pretty cool little bit of film history here -

The L.A. Alley That's a Subtle Silent-Film Landmark

This little alley is where scenes from Chaplin's The Kid, Lloyd's Safety Last, and Keaton's Cops - three of the most significant films from the three most significant American silent comedians - were filmed, and historian John Bengtsen states that “I can absolutely guarantee you that there is no place anywhere that has three of the biggest stars and three of their most important movies in one spot,” It's hard to disagree but...can anybody come up with something close?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

OldAle1 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:00 pm Pretty cool little bit of film history here -

This little alley is where scenes from Chaplin's The Kid, Lloyd's Safety Last, and Keaton's Cops - three of the most significant films from the three most significant American silent comedians - were filmed, and historian John Bengtsen states that “I can absolutely guarantee you that there is no place anywhere that has three of the biggest stars and three of their most important movies in one spot,” It's hard to disagree but...can anybody come up with something close?
Hey, I just watched The Kid this afternoon!
🏳️‍⚧️
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

OldAle1 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:00 pm Pretty cool little bit of film history here -

If you pick a famous enough landmark you can get close. Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, Uluru, The Coliseum, the Pyramids, etc.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:49 pm

If you pick a famous enough landmark you can get close. Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, Uluru, The Coliseum, the Pyramids, etc.
Yeah that's probably true. But the difference is that those places are not special primarily - or really, at all - because of movies shot there.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Dope, thanks for the share. Hollywood and Cahuenga huh...I'll have to make sure to film something there soon.