Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

The Film Lounge

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Onderhond wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 1:24 pm In relation to that, I just read today that the director of the opening ceremony of Tokyo 2020 was fired today (one day before the opening) because of a Holocaust joke he made ... 23 years ago.
Wow. I read the other day that the composer of the ceremony was fired too, because he bragged in the '90s about making a mentally handicapped boy masturbate in front of people and eat his own shit. That guy needs to be in prison (or, ideally, worse).
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

prodigalgodson wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:47 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: July 21st, 2021, 2:39 pm People are really good at compartmentalizing.
Pretty much. Thomas Mann himself was sexually obsessed with his prepubescent son, there's no major movement to cancel his books that I'm aware of. Likewise with Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his 13-year-old cousin, Gloria Grahame screwing her 13-year-old stepson, Alan Ginsburg's man-boy love thing, Cardi B drugging and raping partners, etc. etc. etc. There seems to be no consistency in internet-age moral outrage.
Cardi B never raped anybody lol. She drugged and robbed predatory men who went home with her as a homeless teen. And sadly there was tons of outrage from Bill Cosby defenders who insisted this was a double standard because he drugged people, she drugged people, then they must be just as bad and he should go free.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Apologies in advance for the transphobic bent of the article, but I had this situation in mind:
https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.50791/titl ... deo#signup
Not trying to be inflammatory or draw parallels to Cosby, but I think willfully getting partners too incapacitated to consent and then initiating group sex with individuals they wouldn't knowingly have sex with constitutes rape. The most lenient reading of this is that she's speaking hypothetically in the instagram video, but I dunno man...

I still listen to Cardi too -- and a lot of other probably more problematic, also uncanceled artists -- don't get me wrong, but there does seem to be a lot of inconsistency with what we the internet community find worthy of our outrage.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

prodigalgodson wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 6:29 pm Apologies in advance for the transphobic bent of the article, but I had this situation in mind:
Not trying to be inflammatory or draw parallels to Cosby, but I think willfully getting partners too incapacitated to consent and then initiating group sex with individuals they wouldn't knowingly have sex with constitutes rape. The most lenient reading of this is that she's speaking hypothetically in the instagram video, but I dunno man...

I still listen to Cardi too -- and a lot of other probably more problematic, also uncanceled artists -- don't get me wrong, but there does seem to be a lot of inconsistency with what we the internet community find worthy of our outrage.
Damn, that makes me lose all respect for her. Not just because of what she did, which I agree is rape, but for being such a fucking transphobe. She said "tranny" a million times. I wouldn't call her (or anyone) the n-word, because I'm clearly a more decent person.

Still gonna listen, though. I love "WAP," "Up" and her album. Kanye's a fucking moron in his personal life too, but I'll be sitting online tonight waiting for DONDA to drop.
🏳️‍⚧️
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

prodigalgodson wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 6:29 pm Apologies in advance for the transphobic bent of the article, but I had this situation in mind:

I mean, she's clearly speaking hypothetically about a revenge scenario...Unless you're reading into it as, she confessed in advance to a crime she's about to commit on Instagram, and then somehow actually found a transgender sex worker willing to rape a guy for her? That's more likely? :shrug:

As for her transphobia, hopefully she's grown as a person since she's gotten out of the hood. Very few people are willing to be judged for the things they said and did as teenagers, and her living environment (kicked out of home as a kid, joined the Bloods, stripping and robbing people as a teen to survive) was not conducive to kindness, emotional intelligence or an empathetic mindset. It's a similar case to Mark Wahlberg, who did some horrific, violent and racist shit as a young teen but who appears to have completely changed as a person. Like until he does some new racist shit (anything newer than his teenage years I'm unaware of) I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

outdoorcats wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:31 pm the benefit of the doubt.
Now there's a concept that needs a comeback.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

To fix my stats, I'm on a streak of watching movies which are on approx. 11-13 lists (the more the better). The decision which one to pick for a evening mostly comes on impulse.
By pure chance, 4 out of my 6 last picks were from the year 1971! I even thought Two-Lane Blacktop was a 1972 film. I know I'm weak on the much lauded 1970s, funny how so many titles are from that particular year; and I still got Sweet Sweetback's left (12 lists) which is, of course, also from 1971. :woot:
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

outdoorcats wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:31 pm I mean, she's clearly speaking hypothetically about a revenge scenario...Unless you're reading into it as, she confessed in advance to a crime she's about to commit on Instagram, and then somehow actually found a transgender sex worker willing to rape a guy for her? That's more likely? :shrug:

As for her transphobia, hopefully she's grown as a person since she's gotten out of the hood. Very few people are willing to be judged for the things they said and did as teenagers, and her living environment (kicked out of home as a kid, joined the Bloods, stripping and robbing people as a teen to survive) was not conducive to kindness, emotional intelligence or an empathetic mindset. It's a similar case to Mark Wahlberg, who did some horrific, violent and racist shit as a young teen but who appears to have completely changed as a person. Like until he does some new racist shit (anything newer than his teenage years I'm unaware of) I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Maybe I was influenced by how those articles frame it, but I'd assumed she was talking about how she got revenge on cheating exes, despite the ambiguous tenses. I certainly don't think she was threatening Offset. In any case, apologies if I'm contributing to the spread of misinformation.

I think benefit of the doubt is important in general, and I'm still not sure where I come down on separation of art and artist -- I think close to kong. A propos...
Still gonna listen, though. I love "WAP," "Up" and her album. Kanye's a fucking moron in his personal life too, but I'll be sitting online tonight waiting for DONDA to drop.
Oh shit, I forgot that's tonight, haha. Something to look forward to. I'd also like to give Invasion of Privacy a spin at some point, Bodak and I Like It slap.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

prodigalgodson wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 5:39 am
outdoorcats wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:31 pm I mean, she's clearly speaking hypothetically about a revenge scenario...Unless you're reading into it as, she confessed in advance to a crime she's about to commit on Instagram, and then somehow actually found a transgender sex worker willing to rape a guy for her? That's more likely? :shrug:

Maybe I was influenced by how those articles frame it, but I'd assumed she was talking about how she got revenge on cheating exes, despite the ambiguous tenses. I certainly don't think she was threatening Offset. In any case, apologies if I'm contributing to the spread of misinformation.

I think benefit of the doubt is important in general, and I'm still not sure where I come down on separation of art and artist -- I think close to kong. A propos...
Oh shit, I forgot that's tonight, haha. Something to look forward to. I'd also like to give Invasion of Privacy a spin at some point, Bodak and I Like It slap.
Shit still ain't out smh. And yes, I agree with you, although the tenses are confusing, I think it sounds like she is speaking about something she did. If so, no amount of "having a rough life" excuses that. She also made a derogatory remark recently about "white twinks." But again, I like Cardi's music.
🏳️‍⚧️
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I had to listen to a Cardi B album once and I don’t understand how anyone can listen to it and not want to stab themselves in the ears :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

mightysparks wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 5:44 pm I had to listen to a Cardi B album once and I don’t understand how anyone can listen to it and not want to stab themselves in the ears :(
Because it's just bad music and the world is full of it. I wouldn't have any ears left :ph43r:
sebby

Post by sebby »

Cardi B is a predator. Let's please not double-standard our way into making excuses for her predatory behavior bc she doesn't fit the "right" demographic we have in our minds for such people. She's also shown no remorse for being a human garbage dump. Not like her behavior since then has improved. I do believe remorseful people who turn their lives around deserve second chances, but she ain't that.

Also, her music is fucking atrocious. Her net effect on the world is pretty damn negative. Bleh.