Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

The Film Lounge

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I'm hoping to see 51 features at virtual Tribeca over the next two weeks.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I watched Mysterious Skin finally after it has been recommended here by i don't know but well i finally watched it. It's certainly a good movie!
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

:thumbsup:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

First time back in the cinema yesterday. They had a trailer for "Marvel", which just turned out to be one big trailer for 6 to 8 (I stopped counting) upcoming marvel films. I never saw that before.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I finished watching all the films from the Modernist Baltic Cinema retrospective (again, thank you so much for bringing it to our attention, Rainbow!).

The thing I was most impressed by is that nearly all of them are high-quality prints (not my #1 though, that's a telecined rip of some kind...please, let someone come along and release a proper remaster of this amazing film).

That, and two of them are major discoveries for me.

June, the Beginning of Summer (Raimondas Vabalas - 1969) 9+
Ave, Vita! (Almantas Grikevičius - 1969) 9
The Dead Mountaineer's Hotel (Grigori Kromanov - 1979) 8.5
Madness (Kaljo Kiisk - 1968) 8.5
The Ideal Landscape (Peeter Simm - 1980) 8
Four White Shirts (Rolands Kalniņš - 1967/1986*) 8
Redundant (Aloizs Brenčs - 1976) 7
The Beauty (Arūnas Žebriūnas - 1969) 6.5
Apple in the River (Aivars Fremanis - 1974) 6.5

I see that both me and Roger favorited June, the Beginning of Summer on iCM. If you have time to watch just one, perhaps it should be that (though it's drifting, plotless, slice-of-life narrative may not be for everyone).

Overall thoughts from a total newcomer to Soviet-era Baltic cinema:
-there's a surprising amount of anti-authoritarian, anti-Soviet sentiment expressed either subtextually or just brazenly and openly.
-'60s pop and mod fashion were a pretty big deal
-Echoes (and past traumas) from WWII are a commonly recurring theme in nearly all the films
-Perhaps it's just the selection, but every film's cinematography ranges from merely great to fantastic
-Latvian directors love, love, love filming Riga, particularly in gorgeous wide-angles of the city-scape. Makes you wonder why you never seem to see international productions set in Baltic cities, even though they have many of the same qualities that make other European cities such attractive filming locations: beautiful old architecture, modern infrastructure, middle class economies, etc. Tenet filmed a bit in and around Tallinn, but I'm not sure why as we only ever saw highways and warehouses. Maybe it was a tax thing.
Tallinn
Riga
Vilnius
Thoughts on individual films:
-The Dead Mountaineer's Hotel, written by the Strugatsky Brothers and based on their novel, is a destination film for fans of weird cinema. Gorgeous cinematography, gorgeous scenery, awesome set design, wildly exaggerated use of light, shadow and color by the cinematographer, and an eerie electronic soundtrack. Despite all the great qualities that went into it, I can't call it a favorite - at least, I'm not sure what to make of it, yet. The twists and turns of the plot are pretty weird, even by the Strugatsky's standards.
-Ave, Vita reminded me of Diamonds of the Night a little; maybe because both have a stream-of-consciousness editing style and both are about the Holocaust in some way. They are very different films, of course. Ave, Vita is more about trauma and memory, as two characters, a Holocaust survivor and his daughter, sift through their memories of his friend, a fellow survivor, who has recently died. There's also a film crew following them around, ostensibly to help the daughter make some version of the film we're watching, which adds an avant-garde, self-reflexive element and lets Grikevicius play with form.
-I am surprised Four White Shirts was ever made in the first place. The musical-ish film is about a songwriter for a pop band who rails against state censorship of his subversive lyrics. The soundtrack is full of Latvian '60s pop earworms which apparently became hits despite the film never being released. The opening credits are drawn in colorful chalk on a road and the camera just slowly pans over them, which is one of my favorite opening credits sequences ever.
-Redundant is a noirish crime drama about a newly-released thief torn between a lucrative heist and going straight. I found the main character both unllikeable and uninteresting, which should have doomed the film...but my god, every shot in this black and white film just looks amazing. At one point, he leaves Riga and goes on a road trip to Tbilisi, Georgia and it becomes this beautiful travelogue. Then we get the adrenaline shot of the climax and it is quite something. Action scenes with extremely dangerous and practical car stunts, some of which seemed to be inspired by The French Connection, were not what I was expecting in a film programmed by the Anthology Film Archives. So I can't give it less than a 7.

*IMDb and iCM are at odds with the release year, apparently because although it was made in '67, it was immediately banned and perhaps never released anywhere for 20 years.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Sounds like a great time. I loved The Beauty, which you just liked, and just liked Madness which you seem to have loved - and sadly these are the only two I have seen. From these two however, I completely agree on the cinematography. Seems like a great lineup. Will watchlist all. Should have joined in for this one.

(There is actually a lot of anti-authoritarian films from the old Eastern Block, especially from the 60s which is when the USSR in particular tried to open up for more free speech and expression. There are also notable examples from the 20s - and then of course there is the extremely prominent Yugoslav Black Wave from the late 60s)
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I thought of the Czech New Wave when I watched many of the films. I still have not seen any Yugoslav Black Wave films (availability for nearly all of them is an issue). Some cinephile I am.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Watching a movie on Netflix only because it is on iCM Forum's 1001 Favourite Movies 10 Years Edition. I sometimes crossreference everything on Netflix with all forum created lists and watchlist almost everything. Being on the top 5000 of the forum apparently doesn't mean so much, because I'm wondering who else besides Onderhond voted for this movie (unofficial check with less than 20 checks).
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Are we supposed to guess what movie?
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Onderhond wrote: June 11th, 2021, 10:30 pm Are we supposed to guess what movie?
Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by the lack of a title. :D
🏳️‍⚧️
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I'm guessing it's Hot Gimmick though.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Onderhond wrote: June 12th, 2021, 7:30 am I'm guessing it's Hot Gimmick though.
Yup, that's it!
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I don't blame you for being the sole recommender of a movie, btw. I do wonder now though what the point of a top 5000 is for such a list. There are even several movies on this list with 0 checks, including one by Joel Schumacher! Did the voter really see that one? I have an idea who the voter is of course......

But seriously, Tim, can you take a look at the source spreadsheet and make the size more reasonable?
ICM-profile
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Isn't there a regular top 1000 from that list? I think the longer version was made on specific request for people who prefer to look beyond official checks.
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

joachimt wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:14 pm Watching a movie on Netflix only because it is on iCM Forum's 1001 Favourite Movies 10 Years Edition. I sometimes crossreference everything on Netflix with all forum created lists and watchlist almost everything.
I think the solution to this is to NOT "watchlist almost everything" from a top 5000. :lol:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Onderhond wrote: June 12th, 2021, 8:22 am Isn't there a regular top 1000 from that list? I think the longer version was made on specific request for people who prefer to look beyond official checks.
Sure, but I like the idea of a 10 year edition. If people want to look beyond the obvious 1000, there's always a "all votes" list. A 10 year edition implies it's the ultimate canon according to 10 years of community. It shouldn't include films with only one vote in 10 years. Not sure what would be a good length, maybe 2000-2500.....
ICM-profile
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

joachimt wrote: June 12th, 2021, 9:04 am
Onderhond wrote: June 12th, 2021, 8:22 am Isn't there a regular top 1000 from that list? I think the longer version was made on specific request for people who prefer to look beyond official checks.
Sure, but I like the idea of a 10 year edition. If people want to look beyond the obvious 1000, there's always a "all votes" list. A 10 year edition implies it's the ultimate canon according to 10 years of community. It shouldn't include films with only one vote in 10 years. Not sure what would be a good length, maybe 2000-2500.....
Just combine the top 1000 of each year for the past 10 years.
Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker »

General Buller's Transport Train of Ox-Teams (1900)
- Has anyone been able to locate this on imdb? Maybe it doesn't exist yet?
This is the voice of world control. 🤖 - iCM
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

http://rarefilmm.com is shut down again?

Edit: Hmm, now it's working again. Never mind.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I randomly watched Valerie a tyden vu and I felt in love with it. What a great movie. Seems a bit underrated to me, as i have little experience watching these kind of older movies, but the themes it handles are very interesting to say in the least, in terms of sound & visuals, i don't know of any movie made back than being this good. For me this is an underrated gem, basically some kind of masterpiece everyone forgot about. It is a movie that was able to hypnotize me, so far the only 20th century movie that has done that is Suspiria (which is one of my all-time favourites).

And I have my first check for the list Golden Foundation of Czech and Slovak Cinema, which is now among my top 10 best lists suddenly, so that's great too.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... ar-in-film
I def agree on 1971 being a stellar year... it's one of my top rated and my #1 in terms of # films seen.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

The article is down for me. :wacko: Either it just 404s or gives me an error message of: "We’re currently experiencing problems and the service is currently unavailable. We are working to resolve the issue - please try again later."
.. but the URL is right, I googled it. Hm.

Found this comment on reddit: "Here's what I saw in theaters in '71" :woot: - maybe someone can invite him over to ICM, if he isn't using the site already?
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Karen: The Movie

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Well .. :huh:
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

It's like an Asylum Jordan Peele ripoff. Is Coke Daniels a stage name? If so, why?

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

outdoorcats wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:39 pm It's like an Asylum Jordan Peele ripoff. Is Coke Daniels a stage name? If so, why?
Seems more like a Lifetime Jordan Peele ripoff. And yes it's a stage name. Why not?
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Because it sounds goofy.

Imagine trying to say in your toughest, coolest voice, "How are you. The name is Coke...Coke Daniels."

Any real friends would have talked him out of that one. :(

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Maybe he drinks a lot of Jack & Coke.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Language Lessons is so deeply moving. Through nothing but Zoom calls between two people, the story unfolds masterfully. Mark Duplass gives the best performance by anyone in 2021 so far. It's too small of a film for it to happen, so I'm already calling shenanigans on his inevitable Oscar snub.
🏳️‍⚧️
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

This imdb redesign is super annoying.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I'm still at reference view. Still the same.
ICM-profile
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Hey, that's a good thought. I'm switching to reference view, because the new design is GHASTLY otherwise. Everything I don't want to see is overstressed, everything I want to see is understressed.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

How do you switch to reference view?
Mothravka

Post by Mothravka »

blocho wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 6:48 am How do you switch to reference view?
https://www.imdb.com/preferences/general

Under "Contributors", check the box at the bottom that says "Show reference view with full cast and crew (advanced view)".
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Mothravka wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:07 am
blocho wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 6:48 am How do you switch to reference view?
https://www.imdb.com/preferences/general

Under "Contributors", check the box at the bottom that says "Show reference view with full cast and crew (advanced view)".
Thanks!
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

joachimt wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 4:54 am I'm still at reference view. Still the same.
I got switched over a few days ago. Reference view is a million times better, never would have occurred to me to switch, so thanks!
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

I wasn’t a “reference view” guy before…but yeah, after this re-design by IMDB, I certainly will be now!
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I was wondering, instead of FotW, perhaps a DotW (director of the week) could be a good replacement for a nice change, where people can discuss directors and what defines them?
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I saw Possessor. It reminds me that I need to see way more movies from David Cronenberg. Even his son is so freaking good. But so far, David Cronenberg is one of the only directors i haven't seen a bad movie from (together with Sion Sono).

I also need to watch way more folk horror movies and also movies that have the occult, cults, religion, existence, ideology, being, questioning, psychology of humans (and society) as a theme, although in some sense every movie perhaps is... But especially movies that have a darker theme and zoom on it. I can't seem to dislike those kind of movies (unless it's a religious moral that's been pushed into you, but aside of that, i actually like those kind of movies). Think of Kreuzweg, Valerie, Saint Maud, Midsommar, The Wicker Man, ... . I think they're very interesting. There are a lot of directors or movies that focus on it. I think I certainly need to work on watching more Herzog movies and documentaries.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I've just been thinking... i really like movies again. I think I already saw movies than last year (luckily), although i wish i had some more time to also play some games. The next two weeks i'll be unable to see movies. After that, i've already planned to watch all WKW movies (little every movie him), and also watch the remaining NWR films i haven't seen yet (maybe minus Fear X and Bleeder, but for me that's going to be Valhalla Rising, Bronson and the three Pushers).

But... at the end of september i'll have less time because i want to focus on studying psychology. To be honest, my brain can't handle more than max 2 movies a day, and mostly 1 movie a day, so i actually need to stick to 1 movie everyday, so perhaps there's not even going to be so much change, since at some days i'll come home and watch a movie and than sleep and it's perfectly do-able. Nobody studies after 9pm. You need your leisure, and i can study during the day and follow my lessons (which are mainly going to be monday morning, tuesday, wednesday and thursday and in those days mostly the afternoon and early evening).

Because i have to only wake up quite early on monday... i'm thinking of watching a longer movie on sunday (the over two hours, perhaps over three hours movies), because i'll usually be coming home in the early afternoon from my mom where i mostly spend the weekend, and i think sunday afternoon is a perfect moment for that kind of movies, while in the week i can focus a bit more on the movies i already usually watch, and try to watch 1 movie a day... In the weekend i might also have some "time to game", but in the week i probably won't game or at least not a lot, and than i have the time for my movies in the evening.

I'm just not really sure on what lists to work on, what movies to watch and that kind of stuff... The list of movies i want to watch is just so overwhelming that it paralyzes me more than that it makes me productive and choosing can be so hard, and that's what i'm struggling with.