Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

The Film Lounge

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

OldAle1 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:00 pm Pretty cool little bit of film history here -

The L.A. Alley That's a Subtle Silent-Film Landmark

This little alley is where scenes from Chaplin's The Kid, Lloyd's Safety Last, and Keaton's Cops - three of the most significant films from the three most significant American silent comedians - were filmed, and historian John Bengtsen states that “I can absolutely guarantee you that there is no place anywhere that has three of the biggest stars and three of their most important movies in one spot,” It's hard to disagree but...can anybody come up with something close?
I am sure you must have seen the Thom Anderson film Los Angeles Plays Itself, in which there are several good candidates besides that alley in Los Angeles.

I can think of a few others in LA off the top of my head:
Griffith Observatory
Sixth Street Viaduct
Angel's Flight

Worldwide there are many other places that come to mind.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

TWF releasing a new Toyoda boxset. Hanging Garden was confirmed yesterday, today they revealed Monsters Club. I think that marks the first time I've actually seen a film being released that I was actively on the lookout for. More reveals still coming up. Since they skipped Blood of Rebirth, I'm guessing it'll be either I'm Flash or Day of Destruction. I'm fine with either. Crows Explode seems somewhat unlikely, The Miracle of Crybaby Shottan might be nice too since I've never seen that one before.

Either way, instant buy for me.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

weirdboy wrote: May 10th, 2021, 5:18 am
OldAle1 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:00 pm Pretty cool little bit of film history here -

The L.A. Alley That's a Subtle Silent-Film Landmark

This little alley is where scenes from Chaplin's The Kid, Lloyd's Safety Last, and Keaton's Cops - three of the most significant films from the three most significant American silent comedians - were filmed, and historian John Bengtsen states that “I can absolutely guarantee you that there is no place anywhere that has three of the biggest stars and three of their most important movies in one spot,” It's hard to disagree but...can anybody come up with something close?
I am sure you must have seen the Thom Anderson film Los Angeles Plays Itself, in which there are several good candidates besides that alley in Los Angeles.

I can think of a few others in LA off the top of my head:
Griffith Observatory
Sixth Street Viaduct
Angel's Flight

Worldwide there are many other places that come to mind.
yes I've seen the Anderson film - 3 or 4 times in fact. Easily my favorite film-oriented documentary. I think the point the article I linked to was trying to make was that this is just an ordinary, nondescript alley, and yet it's a centerpiece in three iconic films. The places you list aren't quite in the same category, though I would put them in the category of places that are much more famous because of film associations than they otherwise would be. I mean, the Louvre is the Louvre and Godard shooting even one of his most famous scenes for Bande à part there doesn't really increase it's fame. But who outside of L.A. or space geeks would really know or care about Griffith Observatory? There are loads of famous observatories around the world but most don't have associations as famous as Rebel Without a Cause.

Here's another article from the same source about locations for science fiction films, including some very famous places like the Ennis House (Blade Runner) but also some not quite as obvious choices

The Real-World Locations of 14 Sci-Fi Dystopias
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

OldAle1 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:06 pm yes I've seen the Anderson film - 3 or 4 times in fact. Easily my favorite film-oriented documentary. I think the point the article I linked to was trying to make was that this is just an ordinary, nondescript alley, and yet it's a centerpiece in three iconic films. The places you list aren't quite in the same category, though I would put them in the category of places that are much more famous because of film associations than they otherwise would be. I mean, the Louvre is the Louvre and Godard shooting even one of his most famous scenes for Bande à part there doesn't really increase it's fame. But who outside of L.A. or space geeks would really know or care about Griffith Observatory? There are loads of famous observatories around the world but most don't have associations as famous as Rebel Without a Cause.

Here's another article from the same source about locations for science fiction films, including some very famous places like the Ennis House (Blade Runner) but also some not quite as obvious choices

The Real-World Locations of 14 Sci-Fi Dystopias
I do not think the 6th street viaduct has many notable qualities as an attraction apart from the fact that it is in so many films.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

NBC has dropped the Golden Globes. Warner, Netflix, and Amazon are also refusing to participate in Golden Globes-related events.

Is it too much to hope that this could be the beginning of the end for the Globes?

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

outdoorcats wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:51 pm NBC has dropped the Golden Globes. Warner, Netflix, and Amazon are also refusing to participate in Golden Globes-related events.

Is it too much to hope that this could be the beginning of the end for the Globes?
Honestly, even aside from the horrible behind the scenes behavior of the HFPA, they deserve it for the show they put on this year. :lol: Worst awards show I've ever watched. Even with the constraint of everyone having to Zoom in, it was pathetic.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Onderhond wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:46 pm TWF releasing a new Toyoda boxset. Hanging Garden was confirmed yesterday, today they revealed Monsters Club. I think that marks the first time I've actually seen a film being released that I was actively on the lookout for. More reveals still coming up. Since they skipped Blood of Rebirth, I'm guessing it'll be either I'm Flash or Day of Destruction. I'm fine with either. Crows Explode seems somewhat unlikely, The Miracle of Crybaby Shottan might be nice too since I've never seen that one before.

Either way, instant buy for me.
Third announcement for Day of Destruction. The best news is that 2 more announcements are coming, that's a boxset of 5 films then!! Crazy :)
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

New trailer for is out for David Lowery’s The Green Knight, one of those films that’s been long-delayed by the pandemic. I think I know what my first trip to the cinema in over a year will be (comes out July 30 in the US):

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:08 pm New trailer for is out for David Lowery’s The Green Knight, one of those films that’s been long-delayed by the pandemic. I think I know what my first trip to the cinema in over a year will be (comes out July 30 in the US):

I've been under the weather this week (chronic fatigue), but I'm hoping to make my first theatrical trip in 15 months this afternoon. Wrath of Man seems very enticing.
🏳️‍⚧️
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

kongs_speech wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:11 pm
GruesomeTwosome wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:08 pm New trailer for is out for David Lowery’s The Green Knight, one of those films that’s been long-delayed by the pandemic. I think I know what my first trip to the cinema in over a year will be (comes out July 30 in the US):

I've been under the weather this week (chronic fatigue), but I'm hoping to make my first theatrical trip in 15 months this afternoon. Wrath of Man seems very enticing.
I am totally not a Guy Ritchie “guy” (heh) but I hope you get to go and enjoy it. Yeah the last movie I saw in the theater was Birds of Prey in early March of last year. Just got my second COVID shot yesterday, so whenever something appealing comes out I’m ready to go back to the movies soon. I think I can wait until The Green Knight.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Um.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

Damn.
Owner of three platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Animation Top 50
  • IMDb's Fantasy Top 50
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Jesus. I could walk right past that dude and never realize he's one of my favorite comic actors.
🏳️‍⚧️
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Steve McQueen to co-direct Uprising, 3 part doc, for BBC...
https://thefilmstage.com/steve-mcqueen- ... g-for-bbc/

Unequivocally on my radar.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Torgo wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:06 am Um.

No one mentioned it, but hasn't he lost a ton of weight besides?

I wouldn't have been able to identify him either.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Ebbywebby wrote: May 14th, 2021, 3:11 pm
Torgo wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:06 am Um.

No one mentioned it, but hasn't he lost a ton of weight besides?

I wouldn't have been able to identify him either.
Yeah, but I think he’s actually been noticeably slimmed down for several years now.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I still don't believe that's Seth Rogen.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I was pretty surprised that Hamilton didn’t totally suck. Knew nothing about it until it entered the top 250 last year, haven’t even heard of the dude before, but it was surprisingly good. Not a favourite or anything but I liked it and Jonathan Groff and Daveed Diggs were great.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Right? I have no idea about Broadway, didn't expect a "R'n'B" / Hip Hop musical and was surprised to enjoy it so much (apart from the leeeeength). Definitely more my thing than Vincente Minnelli musicals .. :ph43r:
Daveed Diggs is a guy who has so much energy, shiiet.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

That's really interesting. I haven't seen it, but have definitely wondered how something like that would be perceived by folks outside the US who didn't have Alexander Hamilton drilled into their heads in school.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I don't think it was very useful as an educational/historical look because I still don't really understand why the guy had a musical made about him or what he did that was so important but the production/choreography/music were good and it had a nice sense of humour and playfulness--though the audience often laughed at things that didn't seem like jokes. Just really dynamic and lively and it never lets that energy dip.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

maxwelldeux wrote: May 20th, 2021, 1:01 am definitely wondered how something like that would be perceived by folks outside the US who didn't have Alexander Hamilton drilled into their heads in school.
I'm not completely uninterested or fully uneducated in US history, but didn't bring ... much background along to this narrative here. Yeah, it must be something else over there :)
Also enjoyed it more for formal reasons.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I still haven't even seen any form of "The Book of Mormon." That's what I want to see first. :)
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Ebbywebby wrote: May 20th, 2021, 4:38 am I still haven't even seen any form of "The Book of Mormon." That's what I want to see first. :)
Oh yes, I’d be all over a filmed version of The Book of Mormon, the way that was done with the Hamilton film.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Hehe, agree about The Book.

Another thing .. isn't it weird how a handful of the 31 Carry On movies is official, scattered among different lists, and of all these, Carry on Emmannuelle (1978) (3.2 on IMDb) in the TimeOut Top 1000. :blink:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

maxwelldeux wrote: May 20th, 2021, 1:01 am That's really interesting. I haven't seen it, but have definitely wondered how something like that would be perceived by folks outside the US who didn't have Alexander Hamilton drilled into their heads in school.
As a former history teacher, I can tell you that if you learned much about Alexander Hamilton in school, then you received a much more thorough history education than most Americans. Usually, he's one or two paragraphs in a textbook, although the musical has led to a lot of teachers using Hamilton as a way to lure students into actually caring about history.

For non-Americans: Hamilton was a very important political figure from the 1770s to the 1800s, but in American education other political figures of the era such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson tend to get much more attention.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Psychic Buñuel?

At some point in 1968, Satyajit Ray and Luis Buñuel stayed at the same hotel in Acapulco, and as both were early risers they would have breakfast together every day.

Ray recalled these meetings as part of in an interview with S&S in 1970 (reprinted in the May issue in honour of his birthday), and while the interview as a whole was great, Ray quoting Buñuel with a very spot on-prediction was a highlight.

Ray's main observations on Buñuel was "Tremendous admirer of Pather Panchali, very deaf and very anti-Godard". He went on to quote Buñuel as saying:

"I give him two years more, he's just a fashion"

In a way Buñuel was even too kind, as 1968 was the year Godard burned almost all his bridges with the industry, and he would be out of the traditional spotlight already the next year with his highly politically charged films that were revolutionary not just in form but call to action. Granted, this was not so much critics abandoning him for doing the same thing, but rather Godard specifically taking a new, alienating line, but all the same eerie.

Of course, he was also dead wrong in terms of long term impact. JLG continues to be one of the most respected directors to this day, and even his latest work, The Image Book topped many toplists - but of course, he would never again gain the level of respect and popularity as he received for his 60s work.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Onderhond wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:21 pm Third announcement for Day of Destruction. The best news is that 2 more announcements are coming, that's a boxset of 5 films then!! Crazy :)
So, all five films announced:

I’M FLASH!
HANGING GARDEN 空中庭園
MONSTERS CLUB モンスターズクラブ
DAY OF DESTRUCTION 破壊の日
WOLFS CALLING 狼煙が呼ぶ

That's 4/5 that were never released with English subs before and 3/5 I desperately needed for my collection. Best box set ever.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I watched Luna (2014 - Dave McKean) and George of the Jungle this evening. One is one three official lists, the other on zero. The universe is not right.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

mfw George of the Jungle is in 3 lists: :huh:
But hey, at least the sequel is in zero lists. (Caught in on TV back then - horrible trash lol)
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Trailer premiere for Edgar Wright's newest project - in somewhat of a departure, we have a psychological horror/thriller.

Was looking forward to this before, but now it's one of my most anticipated films of the fall. And just in time for spooo00ky season. :turned:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I generally refuse to watch trailers, but what people are commenting about this sounds fantastic! :thumbsup:
Psyched!
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Almond Taylor-Joy, Alma Tinker Tailor Spy or whatever her name is is becoming the new Adam Driver. Inescapable.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Has been similar for Timothy Chalmers, um, Timon Chamalanté.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

From about 2014 to 2018 it was Domhnall Gleeson in everything. I’ll take more Anya Taylor-Joy any day.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

George of the Jungle was the first movie I saw in the cinema. I've had a crush on Leslie Mann ever since.
🏳️‍⚧️
Wonderful Rainbow

Post by Wonderful Rainbow »

A showcase of Baltic Modernist Cinema available here: https://vimeo.com/showcase/8500709
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Wonderful Rainbow wrote: May 26th, 2021, 1:51 pm A showcase of Baltic Modernist Cinema available here: https://vimeo.com/showcase/8500709
Incredible, thanks!

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Wonderful Rainbow wrote: May 26th, 2021, 1:51 pm A showcase of Baltic Modernist Cinema available here: https://vimeo.com/showcase/8500709
Are any of these official?
🏳️‍⚧️
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Great, thanks. any idea how long they will be available? Dead Mountaineer's Hotel been on my watchlist for ages. Another film based on a novel by the Strugatskys, who also wrote the (very different) book Stalker was based on, as well as Hard to be a God.