Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

The Film Lounge

Post Reply
User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

Re: The Film Lounge

#19121

Post by St. Gloede » July 20th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Really focussing on silent films on official lists so welcome recommendations
What are you interested in and what have you seen?

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#19122

Post by St. Gloede » July 20th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Really focussing on silent films on official lists so welcome recommendations
In terms of UK silents, I would say my top 5 are:

Underground (1928)
The Open Road (1926)
Drifters (1929)
The Great White Silence (1924)
The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog (1927)

All 5 are on official lists, but you may have seen all. The Open Road is particularly beautiful as it is a colour documentary depicting the time it was made in. A beautiful document, and now in fantastic condition.

User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4381
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#19123

Post by Dolwphin » July 20th, 2020, 2:46 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 2:28 pm
Cippenham wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Really focussing on silent films on official lists so welcome recommendations
The Great White Silence (1924)
Robin DiAngelo made a silent movie? :o
Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10943
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#19124

Post by St. Gloede » July 20th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Dolwphin wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 2:46 pm
St. Gloede wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 2:28 pm
Cippenham wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Really focussing on silent films on official lists so welcome recommendations
The Great White Silence (1924)
Robin DiAngelo made a silent movie? :o
Had to look up who that was. :lol:

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13341
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#19125

Post by Cippenham » July 20th, 2020, 6:00 pm

I am looking for what I haven’t seen, I have seen a lot. Not seen Underground a British film apparently so will watch that next , thanks.

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3379
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#19126

Post by blocho » July 20th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Cippenham wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 6:00 pm
I am looking for what I haven’t seen, I have seen a lot. Not seen Underground a British film apparently so will watch that next , thanks.
I second the recommendation of Underground, along with some of the other silents made by director Anthony Asquith -- Shooting Stars and especially A Cottage on Dartmoor.

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 1113
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#19127

Post by Coryn » July 23rd, 2020, 12:03 pm

Tomorrow I'm going to watch the restored version of Zerkalo (The Mirror) in cinema before they close again due to covid.

It's a movie I have seen and only slightly liked when I was 17, I expect it to be a whole other experience now.

Has anyone else seen the restored version of Zerkalo ? Is it well done ? If not, what about the restored versions of Solaris and Stalker ?
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
prodigalgodson
Posts: 287
Joined: Jul 30, 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

#19128

Post by prodigalgodson » July 23rd, 2020, 8:27 pm

Does "restored" mean digitized?

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13614
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#19129

Post by brokenface » July 23rd, 2020, 9:08 pm

Coryn wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 12:03 pm
Tomorrow I'm going to watch the restored version of Zerkalo (The Mirror) in cinema before they close again due to covid.
Belgium? What's the story there, are cases going up badly or is it a pre-emptive thing?

Cinemas here were allowed to open from a couple of weeks ago, but majority haven't yet. I don't think any in my town have.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4722
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#19130

Post by OldAle1 » July 23rd, 2020, 10:47 pm

What's a "cinema"?

User avatar
Mothravka
Posts: 168
Joined: Jan 18, 2016
Location: Европа
Contact:

#19131

Post by Mothravka » July 24th, 2020, 4:40 am

OldAle1 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 10:47 pm
What's a "cinema"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_theater

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13341
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#19132

Post by Cippenham » July 24th, 2020, 5:37 am

I think our local cinemas can open and I think one big multiplex opens at the end of the month

Cippenham
Donator
Posts: 13341
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Dorset England
Contact:

#19133

Post by Cippenham » July 24th, 2020, 5:40 am

I have seen many of the great silent films, I like documentaries, history, drama, and comedy . I have seen 223 out of 304 on the Silent Era top 300 films list but still leaves many to watch.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4722
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#19134

Post by OldAle1 » July 24th, 2020, 10:26 am

Mothravka wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 4:40 am
OldAle1 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 10:47 pm
What's a "cinema"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_theater
Interesting. Never heard of such a thing. Movies come out of cables and the ether here to appear on my computer. Learn something new every day.

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13614
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#19135

Post by brokenface » July 24th, 2020, 12:25 pm

All the big films that were looking at aug/sep/oct release dates now being pushed back, following Tenet. Means cinema won't see much point reopening until Autumn.

AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12445
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#19136

Post by AdamH » July 25th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I totally missed, until now, that that there's a new Ghibli film out this year in Japan (Earwig and the Witch directed by Goro Miyazaki and written by Hayao Miyazaki).

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 3067
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#19137

Post by GruesomeTwosome » July 25th, 2020, 5:52 pm

AdamH wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 5:02 pm
I totally missed, until now, that that there's a new Ghibli film out this year in Japan (Earwig and the Witch directed by Goro Miyazaki and written by Hayao Miyazaki).
I wish it wasn’t CG-animated though...
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd


User avatar
outdoorcats
Posts: 1073
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#19139

Post by outdoorcats » August 4th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Not really new news that the HPFA is a corrupt private club that openly takes bribes to guarantee Golden Globe nominations...but news to me they are actually tax exempt?

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

Post Reply