Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

IMDb getting rid of message boards

sheikofhyrule

IMDb getting rid of message boards

Post by sheikofhyrule » February 4th, 2017, 12:36 am

http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

They are getting rid of the message boards because of social media like Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Snapchat, Pintrest and Tumbler. None of those are good for having discussions that can be spread apart in time.

It looks like I will be spending less time on IMDb.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 4th, 2017, 12:44 am

Not cool. Even with all the nutjobs and garbage they have the odd useful/interesting threads and social media ain't the same format

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 4th, 2017, 12:59 am

Maybe this will lead to some interesting users coming here.
This includes the Private Message system.
Imdb's PM system was pretty shitty, but this is a pretty asshole move with only two weeks notice for people who used it and the message boards.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on February 4th, 2017, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » February 4th, 2017, 1:34 am

Very disappointing. The tenor of the discussion was often low, especially on the boards for blockbuster films, but on a lot of the arthouse and foreign film boards there would be threads with that might have insightfull discussions about the meaning of the films. I found that reading discussions on message boards helped me get a better understanding of the positives and negatives of a film than the IMDb approved reviews, which tended to be along the lines of "it was perfect" or "it was awful".

It always seemed like in the more contentious threads many of the messages would be deleted by an administrator. Maybe they decided it was just too much work to police them.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 4th, 2017, 1:41 am

Wow, that's is a major move. And a bad one. I agree that although most discussions there were awful and it was full of trolls or just plain idiots, (which is why I never spent very much time there), there were also the occasional insightfull and useful threads and posts, which helped me to understand a movie better.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » February 4th, 2017, 2:04 am

I will echo Lonewolf's sentiments because they match my own.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 4th, 2017, 2:50 am

after swimming past the inevitable "worst movie ever" and "best movie ever" topics, yes, there was plenty of value in movie specific discussions - "what was the meaning ... ?" or "I think the double ... showed ..." While I didn't make a habit of swimming too deeply in the message boards largely because one could easily drown in the dross (and let's be honest, most message board type systems really suffer - I mostly ignore them anymore), it was one place that we could go to ask questions and get opinions - the good, the bad, the ugly, the moronic.

Yes, it would be nice to attract quality users here; just not sure it's worth the risk of a troll invasion. It would also be preferable to have a more robust commenting system on iCM (since it makes the most sense to have comments attached to the movie - do we really want threads in film discussion for every single movie people watch here?) but unfortunately, I doubt we'll see that come to pass

:rip: IMDb Message Boards and :shoot: the few idiots that have ruined it for the rest of us! :cowboy:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 4th, 2017, 3:01 am

xianjiro on Feb 3 2017, 07:50:45 PM wrote:Yes, it would be nice to attract quality users here; just not sure it's worth the risk of a troll invasion.
Our moderation isn't perfect, but we have a handle on things and the forum has enough of an identity that this wouldn't happen. Plus I'm not expecting a significant number of those users, but maybe a few will look for other boards and find this one.
do we really want threads in film discussion for every single movie people watch here?
Not every movie, but I wouldn't mind more movie and director threads for ones that merit discussion.

Also , it only just registered that this shutdown also includes the mini forums on individual film pages.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 4th, 2017, 3:10 am

Hey everyone. A refugee from IMDb here. Hope to meet many new film fans, and hopefully will recognize some of my fellow refugees as well.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 4th, 2017, 3:12 am

outdoorcats on Feb 3 2017, 08:10:19 PM wrote:Hey everyone. A refugee from IMDb here. Hope to meet many new film fans, and hopefully will recognize some of my fellow refugees as well.
Welcome! :party:

Some others are already regulars here, like ANGEL_GLEZ, MarcusCinemus (insomnius here), Carmel, Gloede, and you will probably also remember metaller. timmy_501 hasn't really been posting here lately, but now without IMDb I hope to see some more of him again here. GruesomeTwosome just registered after my invitation, and more quality posters are to come, I hope.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 4th, 2017, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 4th, 2017, 3:23 am

outdoorcats on Feb 3 2017, 08:10:19 PM wrote:Hey everyone. A refugee from IMDb here. Hope to meet many new film fans, and hopefully will recognize some of my fellow refugees as well.
Welcome, and don't be afraid to make threads if you want to. A lot of the film discussion lately has been in the challenge threads where we watch movies following a theme, but there's no reason it has to be confined there.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 4th, 2017, 3:50 am

Howdy. Just registered here today myself. Here's to hoping that FGFF 2017 can still go ahead in some way, shape or form.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 4th, 2017, 3:53 am

sol on Feb 3 2017, 08:50:02 PM wrote:
Howdy. Just registered here today myself. Here's to hoping that FGFF 2017 can still go ahead in some way, shape or form.
What's FGFF?

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 4th, 2017, 3:55 am

Hey sol! Yup, the plan is to continue our "online film festival" here in pretty much the same format. Though we'll have to call it something different now, won't we? :huh:

("Online film festival?" you might be wondering. Here's a thread that may help explain...but read it quick, it will be gone in a couple of weeks! IMDbFF 16 )

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 4th, 2017, 3:57 am

mjf314 on Feb 3 2017, 08:53:13 PM wrote:
What's FGFF?
A "film festival" organised on the IMDb message boards. A handful of jurors watch a selection of recent films within the space of 2-4 weeks and then hand out awards. Films needed to have less than a certain number of IMDb votes to qualify, so it's a great way of discovering some of the less mainstream films out there. For the most recent festival we held (where films from 2013 to 2015 could qualify), the delightfully madhouse 'Tokyo Tribe' was voted Best Film.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 4th, 2017, 4:03 am

What's FGFF?
Originally stood for Film General Film Festival (we later changed it to IMDb Film Festival). See the link above for the whole story!

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 4th, 2017, 4:18 am

Hi sol, great to see you here! I hope to welcome some more Classic Film boarders here (maybe you can help inviting them?). I wasn't that much of a Classic Film board regular myself, a lot of the conversations didn't particularly interest me, but certainly in the past few years it overall has become the more agreeable board for me, compared to the juvenile and troll-ridden Film General board.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 4th, 2017, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 4th, 2017, 4:47 am

I'm probably out of my depth here, but would there be any point in having some subforums under General Film discussion? E.g. one for the ex-IMDB film festival, one for Film of the week, possibly one for individual film discussion threads?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » February 4th, 2017, 4:49 am

sol on Feb 3 2017, 08:57:04 PM wrote:A "film festival" organised on the IMDb message boards. A handful of jurors watch a selection of recent films within the space of 2-4 weeks and then hand out awards. Films needed to have less than a certain number of IMDb votes to qualify, so it's a great way of discovering some of the less mainstream films out there. For the most recent festival we held (where films from 2013 to 2015 could qualify), the delightfully madhouse 'Tokyo Tribe' was voted Best Film.
Who picks the selection of films? Can anyone nominate films?

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » February 4th, 2017, 6:16 am

mjf314 on Feb 3 2017, 09:49:41 PM wrote:
sol on Feb 3 2017, 08:57:04 PM wrote:A "film festival" organised on the IMDb message boards. A handful of jurors watch a selection of recent films within the space of 2-4 weeks and then hand out awards. Films needed to have less than a certain number of IMDb votes to qualify, so it's a great way of discovering some of the less mainstream films out there. For the most recent festival we held (where films from 2013 to 2015 could qualify), the delightfully madhouse 'Tokyo Tribe' was voted Best Film.
Here's how it worked - for the two years we did it, there were only 5 of us (programmers) who were willing to keep watching eligible films year round and narrow down a list. The rule we had was that a film had to be supported by at least two programmers to make the list. (Exceptions were made. I believe all of the 5 of us work full-time in RL so committing to this was always a struggle.) We certainly wouldn't have minded more programmers, but it's a tough commitment to make.

Anyone could nominate films, but it was up to the programmers to make final calls.

The list was divided into sub-sections like International, English-Language, LGBT Focus, Just Before Dawn (Horror/Violent Thriller/weird/other "Midnight Movies") and Main Slate (more on that in a sec).

Then there were another dozen-or-so users called the Jury (including a Jury President) who were expected to watch the films and hand out awards.

Then the general public were invited to participate in a 2-3 week window to watch, discuss, and rate the films selected. At the end of this period the jury would announce their awards. An "Audience Award" was also handed out to the film with the highest average rating from everyone - programmers, jury, and general public alike.

The Main Slate: we had the jury help select this one. Explanation--the jury would be picked out well in advance of the festival date, and once selected we presented the full list of eligible programmed films in alphabetical order with a short description for each film. Each jury member then rated the film by interest level on a scale of 0 (not interested) to 5 (highly interested). The 10 films that scored the highest made the main slate.

Centerpiece - If all of the programmers supported a film, we called it a Centerpiece (previous examples include Omar, The Missing Picture and Embrace of the Serpent).

Generally the focus is on the type of films you see at a good festival, but for whatever reason - lack of star power, disinterested or nonexistent distributor, wrong language or country, too "arthouse" - didn't get a release proportional to the film's quality. I watch a lot of these types of films every year at the Philadelphia Film Festival (and I follow press coverage at Cannes and the NYFF pretty closely), but most film fans don't live close to such a readily available access point for great independent/international films... so by the time many of these films become available to them (years later in some cases) they wouldn't know to take a second look at them. For instance, if you live in the U.S. and have Netflix, you might be a fan of foreign language films but unaware that Netflix U.S. has a massive selection of films that received critical acclaim on the festival circuit (like Aquarius, Divines, Mustang, The Wailing, Sunset Song, Disorder, The Measure of a Man, Les Cowboys, The Kindergarten Teacher, and Arabian Nights--for just a few examples) The festival was created to help bridge that gap and introduce the wider public to some of these high-quality under-the-radar films.
Last edited by outdoorcats on February 4th, 2017, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 4th, 2017, 6:25 am

3eyes on Feb 3 2017, 09:47:42 PM wrote:I'm probably out of my depth here, but would there be any point in having some subforums under General Film discussion? E.g. one for the ex-IMDB film festival, one for Film of the week, possibly one for individual film discussion threads?
We could, though I don't see it as necessary at the moment. The main reason for subforums is to keep threads from drowning each other out, and at the moment the volume of new threads isn't enough to really make that necessary. If we do start getting a large number of threads for individual movies we could always add a section later.

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » February 4th, 2017, 6:36 am

Imdb message boards really helped me understanding certain number films like Mulholand, Enemy and the likes. Also its fun to read ocassionally few rants on blickbuster films like Frozen. Gonna miss everything.. :(

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 4th, 2017, 6:39 am

outdoorcats on Feb 3 2017, 11:16:54 PM wrote:
mjf314 on Feb 3 2017, 09:49:41 PM wrote:
Here's how it worked
Sounds interesting and something that would surely fit in well in this forum.

I personally don't get around to watching nearly enough recent movies, so something like that would be a good motivation to check out the ones that fly under my radar.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 4th, 2017, 7:10 am

Wow, I just caught up on this... This is crazy. There's what, 20 years of debate kept there? How many of the database contributors will leave as a result of this?

IMDb has been going downhill for a number of years, seeming to focus on generating sales for Amazon, but still, this is very surprising. Ignorant Moves Database.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » February 4th, 2017, 7:32 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 3 2017, 08:01:04 PM wrote:Also , it only just registered that this shutdown also includes the mini forums on individual film pages.
:'( I rarely looked through the main message board, but I like to read through the message board of an individual movie. Definitely when it's for a film with very few reviews. Plus, it's nice when I feel like I missed some sub-plot or confused about a scene or when the film's plot is very misleading (A Taste of Honey being the latest example for me <_< ) and somebody else has already posted about it.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 4th, 2017, 9:52 am

sol on Feb 3 2017, 08:57:04 PM wrote:
sol on Feb 3 2017, 08:50:02 PM wrote: Howdy. Just registered here today myself. Here's to hoping that FGFF 2017 can still go ahead in some way, shape or form.
What's FGFF?
A "film festival" organised on the IMDb message boards. A handful of jurors watch a selection of recent films within the space of 2-4 weeks and then hand out awards. Films needed to have less than a certain number of IMDb votes to qualify, so it's a great way of discovering some of the less mainstream films out there. For the most recent festival we held (where films from 2013 to 2015 could qualify), the delightfully madhouse 'Tokyo Tribe' was voted Best Film.
ooh! sounds fun! :)

And unlike some other places on the planet ;) , I'll join in the chorus of welcoming refugees! Enjoy!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 4th, 2017, 9:58 am

FGFF sounds like an idea that would work very well on this forum. I'd appreciate if you'd wait to start it until our World Cup is over. We're in the semi-finals now, so it's just a few weeks left.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 4th, 2017, 10:47 am

joachimt on Feb 4 2017, 02:58:38 AM wrote:FGFF sounds like an idea that would work very well on this forum. I'd appreciate if you'd wait to start it until our World Cup is over. We're in the semi-finals now, so it's just a few weeks left.
The FGFF (at least up until now) has been an annual event, and we just finished the last one recently, the next one wouldn't be due until November/December, everything up to that date is pretty much just preparation that wouldn't take away much attention from other activities on the forum, so you won't have to worry about that any time soon. But I certainly understand the concern to coordinate it with the World Cup in terms of timing.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 4th, 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » February 4th, 2017, 11:18 am

Cocoa on Feb 4 2017, 12:32:50 AM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 3 2017, 08:01:04 PM wrote:Also , it only just registered that this shutdown also includes the mini forums on individual film pages.
:'( I rarely looked through the main message board, but I like to read through the message board of an individual movie. Definitely when it's for a film with very few reviews. Plus, it's nice when I feel like I missed some sub-plot or confused about a scene or when the film's plot is very misleading (A Taste of Honey being the latest example for me <_< ) and somebody else has already posted about it.
This indeed.

I mean, the subforums for blockbusters where heavily trolled swamps of hate. But the subforums of the smaller films have likely thought me more about films than any other single source on the internet.
When you watched something unusal and liked it there was the good chance to get solid recs for similar films. Sometimes even people involved in the production shared a bit of their knowledge or stories.
So much pure good film discussions will be destroyed with that dick move.

And like PdA already mentioned, I started my (english language) film forum experience at IMDB's film general forum. Which lead me to FG3, which led me to the facebook group and this forum. Which led me to actually meeting up with some of the fine folks here and spending my holidays with them.

I hardly can't imagine that the forum databses and webservers would generate so much traffic and load that it is producing astronomical costs for IMDB / amazon. Dick move all around.
Last edited by metaller on February 4th, 2017, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » February 4th, 2017, 11:25 am

I guess IMDb has a few more "surprises" up their sleeve...
http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement
help our customers communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways while leveraging emerging technologies and opportunities
:facepalm:

Yes, "dick move" is a correct characterisation of this, what is even more disturbing how little notice they've given and shutting down almost immediately.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 4th, 2017, 11:51 am

I fear they will get rid of lists :unsure:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 4th, 2017, 12:16 pm

I have to wonder, if, like so many other places where users are able to comment, IMDb is tired of policing the whole mess. They certainly aren't the first to shut down such a feature, and who knows, maybe they'll replace it with something in the future - likely the Facebook comment system or something similar. IDK, maybe this will be more of trend, especially on large, popular sites.

sol can find me here

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » February 4th, 2017, 2:13 pm

CFB refugees welcome!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 4th, 2017, 2:17 pm

That FGFF sure sounds interesting. We really should do that. If I understand correctly the focus is on lesser known recent movies, so let's say 2015-2017 productions for next edition. Might be a good addition to the WC and <400 where the focus is more on obscure older movies.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on February 4th, 2017, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 4th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Cocoa on Feb 4 2017, 12:32:50 AM wrote:
Me too.
Those boards were especially usefull when you wanted to discuss the ending or something else you didn't understand, since most reviews keep away from talking about that because of spoilers.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on February 4th, 2017, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 4th, 2017, 4:03 pm

This has to be an opportunity for us to get some new users.

Which projects are there on the IMDb forums which we could incorporate on here? There are a huge amount of users on there and many could enhance the forum. I know that there's a lot of trolling too but it's easy to moderate that. I think that the IMDb forums probably struggle with moderation because of the sheer volume of users. We're unlikely to ever have a problem like that. IMDb is a worldwide famous forum; we're a small forum.

Let's try to use some of their projects. Doubling the Canon for example. It's already become pretty prominent on here because of Angel's posts. Could we host it? I think it's hosted on the IMDb forums just now, right?

Other things like that film festival sound promising too.

I don't expect any huge changes because of IMDb but there is some potential for us because IMDb has a massive membership which will suddenly lose a place to post (I'm sure lots of them post on other forums already...I'm also not sure how many regulars there are on there but I'm guessing a lot with all of the forums, individual forums for films/TV programmes etc.)

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 4th, 2017, 4:06 pm

brokenface on Feb 4 2017, 04:51:53 AM wrote:I fear they will get rid of lists :unsure:
They already removed most of the lists anyway including the Top 50s. The only thing of any real substance that's left is the Top 250. I'd be surprised if they removed that but you never know. Seems that they also added top 250s for Indian films, TV programmes and English-language films. Those are the only ranked lists left as far as I can tell. The rest are simply search result pages with no ranking. And the bottom 100.

insomnius

Post by insomnius » February 4th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Been posting here a few years already, but I've always felt most at home on the CFB, however sporadic my posts have been (as MarcusCinemus). Really sad to see it go, but hope to see more of that crowd coming here now.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » February 4th, 2017, 4:07 pm

AdamH on Feb 4 2017, 09:06:37 AM wrote:
brokenface on Feb 4 2017, 04:51:53 AM wrote:I fear they will get rid of lists :unsure:
They already removed most of the lists anyway including the Top 50s. The only thing of any real substance that's left is the Top 250. I'd be surprised if they removed that but you never know. Seems that they also added top 250s for Indian films, TV programmes and English-language films. Those are the only ranked lists left as far as I can tell. The rest are simply search result pages with no ranking. And the bottom 100.
I think brokenface means personal lists.

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » February 4th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Maybe they were sick of all the "Is Actor Gay?" threads. I am mad that IMDb keeps trying to get me to sign in with something other than my IMDb account.

I liked going to older films' message boards to find interesting trivia and reactions or seeing no messages because no one watches that movie. I also liked seeing the opening weekend audience crowd levels/trailers/reactions. My favorite threads were the ones that confirmed that the crappy trailer I just watched is agreed to be a crappy trailer.