Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

IMDb getting rid of message boards

AdamH
Site Admin

IMDb getting rid of message boards

Post by AdamH » February 4th, 2017, 4:20 pm

jvv on Feb 4 2017, 09:07:56 AM wrote:
AdamH on Feb 4 2017, 09:06:37 AM wrote:
brokenface on Feb 4 2017, 04:51:53 AM wrote:I fear they will get rid of lists :unsure:
They already removed most of the lists anyway including the Top 50s. The only thing of any real substance that's left is the Top 250. I'd be surprised if they removed that but you never know. Seems that they also added top 250s for Indian films, TV programmes and English-language films. Those are the only ranked lists left as far as I can tell. The rest are simply search result pages with no ranking. And the bottom 100.
I think brokenface means personal lists.
Ah, sorry. Didn't realise that. Now, removing personal lists would be a huge deal. Especially as they're often used to import lists for iCM.com.

I have to say that I think the traditional forum format is still the best. This trend of moving towards social media, groups, comments etc. for discussion isn't at all conducive to real discussion in my opinion. I dislike the more "trendy" new forum software like on Marijn's forum and I also dislike using social media or groups or things like that to have discussions. I think it's all set up for very short discussions and there's less sense of community. I don't like Zetaboards particularly as a software but I think the tradiational forum format like we have here (obviously it's present in lots of other forums too) is still the best way to have discussions online for communities. I actually always hated the layout of IMDb forums and that put me off them too but at least they were still forums.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 4th, 2017, 4:24 pm

15 new members overall today and yesterday so far. Linked to this?

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 4th, 2017, 4:31 pm

AdamH on Feb 4 2017, 09:20:29 AM wrote:
jvv on Feb 4 2017, 09:07:56 AM wrote:
AdamH on Feb 4 2017, 09:06:37 AM wrote:They already removed most of the lists anyway including the Top 50s. The only thing of any real substance that's left is the Top 250. I'd be surprised if they removed that but you never know. Seems that they also added top 250s for Indian films, TV programmes and English-language films. Those are the only ranked lists left as far as I can tell. The rest are simply search result pages with no ranking. And the bottom 100.
I think brokenface means personal lists.
Ah, sorry. Didn't realise that. Now, removing personal lists would be a huge deal. Especially as they're often used to import lists for iCM.com.
Yep, personal lists is what I'm worried about. Just think they could easily see that as an expendable bit of the site as probably relatively resource heavy and doesn't gain them much in advertising clicks. following the logic they've used for deleting message boards, I bet only a very tiny % of all site users use the personal list functionality.

RBG

Post by RBG » February 4th, 2017, 5:11 pm

omg i've been working on a private list that's up to 1200 something. at least they would give us an opportunity to export these, right?

went through this at mubi just a couple of years ago. many great forum conversations lost forever. :'(

i wonder if they've decided to concentrate on monetizing as a streaming service. i never used the forums at imdb but did enjoy the comment threads on individual films. seems a shame to delete those too
Last edited by RBG on February 4th, 2017, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

fakeusername2

Post by fakeusername2 » February 4th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Seeing the message boards disappear is pretty sad, like watching a loop of Blade Runner's ending.

I am also here on Perception's recommendation.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 4th, 2017, 8:55 pm

I bet that now I won't be the only regular anymore who is posting here without having an ICM account. :lol:
Ironically with all this shit going on on IMDb I'm actually considering finally getting one.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 4th, 2017, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » February 4th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 4 2017, 01:55:49 PM wrote:I bet that now I won't be the only regular anymore who is posting here without having an ICM account. :lol:
Ironically with all this shit going on on IMDb I'm actually considering finally getting one.
Would be nice having you on ICM ;)

Maybe some other users will come to ICM too.

Adam you should ask the Guys for a cut :lol:

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » February 4th, 2017, 11:34 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 4 2017, 01:55:49 PM wrote:I bet that now I won't be the only regular anymore who is posting here without having an ICM account. :lol:
This can't be good for my ICM Ranking... :mellow:

But the more we are the merrier, it would be nice to see you on ICM...

Seven_Doors

Post by Seven_Doors » February 5th, 2017, 12:07 am

Hi everyone. I'm here because of the IMDb boards closing too. I didn't post a lot there, but I checked the boards almost every time I watched a movie. It seemed like whenever I didn't understand something about a movie's plot, my question had already been answered on the boards. I guess it was because I watch a lot of older cult movies, but I didn't see many trolls; it seemed like the trolling went on in the boards of new releases for some reason. I don't think trolling is a good reason to kill the boards, and the suggestion IMDb has made that everyone should go over and use Facebook to talk about movies is just goofy. Some people elsewhere on the web have theories that maybe studios were tired of people trashing new movies and leaking spoilers? Anyway, I hope to find some good threads to read here. I found y'all via Reddit btw.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » February 5th, 2017, 12:38 am

Hi everyone. I've been a regular at the IMDb boards since 2010, and also joined ICM soon after, which I continue to use as a regular part of my film hobby. Great little site! I definitely had an account here in the past and did some *cough*lurking*cough*, but I legit can't remember what that was so here's a new account with the same username I have on IMDb and ICM.

I'm bummed about the IMDb boards closing, but this is a cool place - I like how you encourage each other to watch new stuff with games and tournaments. The next few months won't be the best time for me to join in much, but I definitely hope to in the future! :cheers:
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » February 5th, 2017, 12:46 am

Seven_Doors on Feb 4 2017, 05:07:50 PM wrote:Some people elsewhere on the web have theories that maybe studios were tired of people trashing new movies and leaking spoilers?
studio pressure could have done it. Big movies like Passengers got their own IMDb wallpaper that must have cost a lot. I can't help thinking the studio would have been willing to trade a big drop in the number of clicks in return for not having a series of threads in the footer about what a creepy, Stockholm syndrome movie it was.

Facebook is much more favourable for movies because there isn't really a specific place to go and talk about a movie. And I'm convinced they have algorithms that promote favourable comments about a movie and demote unfavourable comments (for a fee from the studio of course).

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 5th, 2017, 1:27 am

AdamH on Feb 4 2017, 09:03:01 AM wrote:Which projects are there on the IMDb forums which we could incorporate on here?
Good question.

Doubling the Canon originally may have started out on IMDb, but by now its home base is just as much here (and on Super Champion Film Zone) as it is on IMDb, Angel Glez ran the project in exactly the same way on all three forums, but correct me if I'm wrong, Angel.
ICM thread: viewtopic.php?t=2361&1/
IMDb thread: http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/thread/253475194
SCFZ thread: http://w11.zetaboards.com/The_Auteurs/topic/11523316/1

Now, a new thing that we absolutely do need to have here is a "weekly viewings" thread, in which posters share all their viewings of the previous week, usually with ratings and more often than not with some thoughts on the films or even reviews. Some users may think now of the "Last Movie Seen" thread here and think that there is no need for such a thread or even much of a demand, but trust me, those threads have their own dynamic. They have been a mainstay of at least the four biggest film-related boards of the IMDb main board (Film General, Classic Film, Movie Awards, Horror), and they almost all had their own unique participants with very little overlap in posters between the individual boards, but they were very popular on all of these boards and have already been so when I joined IMDb back in 2004, and I personally have participated in them every week since 2006 or so. They always generated some very good discussions and exchanges of ideas or recommendations between some of the posters, this weekly thread (as everyone simply called it) was almost the only reason why I still kept posting on IMDb those past few years when things got gradually worse. Here are some example threads:

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/nest/265113810
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/nest/265313579
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/nest/264911261
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/nest/265532624

Those threads traditionally were started on Sundays (I think on the Movie Awards board it was on Mondays, but whatever, I didn't go there). I think it will work much better if we can have a fresh weekly thread each week instead of using the same thread every week. If there is a concern that soon they may clutter up a board maybe it's possible to have a subforum dedicated to them? I know many users who already joined here who are dedicated regular participants of the weekly thread (sol, viktor-vaudevillain, ebossert, Carmel, RogerTheMovieManiac88, Cynical Cynephile, flaiky), and some other posters who are more occasional participants. Can some of you guys back me up on this?

We also did a retrospective thread every first of the month in which users shared their Top 10 (or sometimes more) first viewings of the past month, which I have actually been hosting since 2013, but they also have been a mainstay of Film General for as long as I can remember, and which we simply called - surprise - the monthly thread. Here was the last one:

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/nest/265632007

Maybe we could use that same subforum for this monthly thread.

I also had an idea for a "daily short film discussion" project (possibly called "One Short a Day") in which a user picks one short film to discuss that day. Projects with people coming together to watch and discuss the same feature films are often problematic because who has the time or the interest to sit through a random feature, right? Besides, the ICM forum already has the World Cup, the Film of the Week and other similar things anyway. But most people can find enough time per day to watch a 1-minute short, or a 5-minute short, or a 15-minute short, or however long the particular short happens to be, and to exchange some words about it. Plus, I find short films to be way too little talked about in any depth. Anyway, this isn't something that has previously existed on IMDb before, I just thought I may as well use the occasion to get that idea out there now. Let me know if there is an interest for it.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 5th, 2017, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 5th, 2017, 1:33 am

I plan to make this place my primary film board destination once IMDb's boards (and Film General in particular) go kaput in about 2 weeks. Thanks to Perception for the heads-up on this and I look forward to contributing here.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 5th, 2017, 1:52 am

In a way, it's a little sad to see the IMDb boards go away, as I've been posting on there somewhat regularly the last year or so, but, on the other hand, it can be an exciting time for here.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » February 5th, 2017, 1:59 am

Yeah, it's pretty exciting to see so many cinephiles coming here after the IMDB announcement.

Think of all the lists they can make :O

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 5th, 2017, 2:58 am

Hey guys. Can someone help with me with how to link my icheckmovies.com profile with this account? I see that some users have links to their ICM accounts in their signature lines and some nifty statistics too. I signed up for ICM yesterday (shortly after creating this account) and exported/imported all my IMDb ratings into ICM, but I'm stumped on how to make this account connect with the ICM account.

Thanks in advance!
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » February 5th, 2017, 3:16 am

sol on Feb 4 2017, 07:58:01 PM wrote:Hey guys. Can someone help with me with how to link my icheckmovies.com profile with this account? I see that some users have links to their ICM accounts in their signature lines and some nifty statistics too. I signed up for ICM yesterday (shortly after creating this account) and exported/imported all my IMDb ratings into ICM, but I'm stumped on how to make this account connect with the ICM account.

Thanks in advance!
Hiya,
I am IMDB diaspora too... I signed up for icm yesterday as well and figured out on the main page below your name there is a dropdown menu, go to signature, select the one you want and paste the UBB code in your iCMforum signature... looks pretty neat, seems I need to work on my "Awards"...
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » February 5th, 2017, 3:23 am

Another IMDb refugee here. I introduced myself in that Off Topic thread already (don't know how many of you saw it). I'm glad to see we're being welcomed here with open hands. I'm also glad that you're excited about the Film Festival we've been organizing for the last 2 years (shout out to outdoorcats). I was one of the programmers and it was a lot of fun, and not only because I've seen some great films. It's a great concept because most of the films stay fresh in most of participants' minds, so discussions go really in depth.

For me, It'll take a bit of getting used to to the dynamics of this forum and getting to know the regular posters. But, that's all part of the process and I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I just wanted to comment on PdA's suggestions. "Weekly threads" were the biggest reason why I never gave up FG, even when it was being destroyed by trolls. I'd love to see those threads introduced here. They always generated good discussions and recommendations. Same goes for "Top First Viewings".
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 5th, 2017, 3:24 am

Yeah, the accounts aren't connected. As hurluberlu says, you can get the code for the lists you want to display here: https://www.icheckmovies.com/signature/ and then add them into your signature from the preferences menu.

The Weekly threads sound like a good idea, not enough people use the Last Seen thread, so if a weekly thread would get people posting and discussing recent viewings outside challenges it'd be great. For now this General Film Discussion section is a good place to put them. If they start crowding out other threads we can make a section for them later.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on February 5th, 2017, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 5th, 2017, 3:30 am

hurluberlu on Feb 4 2017, 08:16:59 PM wrote:
sol on Feb 4 2017, 07:58:01 PM wrote:Hey guys. Can someone help with me with how to link my icheckmovies.com profile with this account? I see that some users have links to their ICM accounts in their signature lines and some nifty statistics too. I signed up for ICM yesterday (shortly after creating this account) and exported/imported all my IMDb ratings into ICM, but I'm stumped on how to make this account connect with the ICM account.

Thanks in advance!
Hiya,
I am IMDB diaspora too... I signed up for icm yesterday as well and figured out on the main page below your name there is a dropdown menu, go to signature, select the one you want and paste the UBB code in your iCMforum signature... looks pretty neat, seems I need to work on my "Awards"...
Thanks. Got it now. Unfortunately iCM are waaaaaayyyyyyy behind on things. I should have a ton of awards by now (it's been more than 24 hours) given that I have seen 50%+ from a bunch of lists.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 5th, 2017, 3:32 am

sol on Feb 4 2017, 08:30:36 PM wrote:
hurluberlu on Feb 4 2017, 08:16:59 PM wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Hiya,
Thanks. Got it now. Unfortunately iCM are waaaaaayyyyyyy behind on things. I should have a ton of awards by now (it's been more than 24 hours) given that I have seen 50%+ from a bunch of lists.
Awards update every two or three days. They last updated yesterday morning.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » February 5th, 2017, 3:44 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 4 2017, 08:32:44 PM wrote:
sol on Feb 4 2017, 08:30:36 PM wrote:
hurluberlu on Feb 4 2017, 08:16:59 PM wrote:Hiya,
Awards update every two or three days. They last updated yesterday morning.
Ah, okay. Thanks for that. I'll try to be patient for the next 48 hours while I decide which/what lists I want to include in my signature here.
Image Image Image

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » February 5th, 2017, 4:08 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 4 2017, 08:24:04 PM wrote:The Weekly threads sound like a good idea, not enough people use the Last Seen thread, so if a weekly thread would get people posting and discussing recent viewings outside challenges it'd be great. For now this General Film Discussion section is a good place to put them. If they start crowding out other threads we can make a section for them later.
Great, man. Considering that it used to be a Sunday tradition, should we start with those today/tomorrow (depending on the timezone)? I'd love to have the honor of hosting the first one.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

Private Witt

Post by Private Witt » February 5th, 2017, 4:25 am

Yep, I'm here from IMDb. It's a shame what is happening, although this seems like a solid forum.
Last edited by Private Witt on February 5th, 2017, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » February 5th, 2017, 4:33 am

Private Witt on Feb 4 2017, 09:25:16 PM wrote:this seems like a solid forum.
Looks can be deceptive... tehe
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 5th, 2017, 4:46 am

Cynical Cynephile on Feb 4 2017, 09:08:51 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 4 2017, 08:24:04 PM wrote:The Weekly threads sound like a good idea, not enough people use the Last Seen thread, so if a weekly thread would get people posting and discussing recent viewings outside challenges it'd be great. For now this General Film Discussion section is a good place to put them. If they start crowding out other threads we can make a section for them later.
Great, man. Considering that it used to be a Sunday tradition, should we start with those today/tomorrow (depending on the timezone)? I'd love to have the honor of hosting the first one.
For what it's worth, you hosting would be fine by me. We haven't really settled the whole subforum/no subforum issue yet, I feel, but a mod can always do that at a later point and then move the thread.

Actually, taking a look around now, I think it would make sense to just use the "Film Logs" subforum on the "General Film Discussion" board (THIS), there currently isn't very much going on on that board anyway and thematically "Film Logs" kind of fits, right?

On Film General we usually had the host trying to reply to every single post. Personally I never particularly cared for that, it's a nice gesture but ultimately it only meant a lot of work for the host that rarely amounted to much (neither for him nor for the other posters). Besides, this also worked better with IMDb's nest mode, with the forum structure here it makes less sense. What do you think, Cynical?
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on February 5th, 2017, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » February 5th, 2017, 5:03 am

It is good to see more people finding their way here and I hope you like it. Looking at IMDb's facebook page, every one of their posts has people complaining even though none of the posts are about it and I do not think they even addressed it there. If you go by the amount and consistency of comments, they should keep them, but I fear they are already doomed.

Maybe I am weird, but I never checked out the Film General, etc. message boards on IMDb, I always checked the message boards for the individual films after I watched them.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 5th, 2017, 5:30 am

That'd be ok with me.
Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 4 2017, 09:46:13 PM wrote: Actually, taking a look around now, I think it would make sense to just use the "Film Logs" subforum on the "General Film Discussion" board (THIS), there currently isn't very much going on on that board anyway and thematically "Film Logs" kind of fits, right?
I was thinking that too. For now it's probably best to keep it in this section for visibility but I can move past threads into that subforum after a week or two so they're easier to find.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 5th, 2017, 5:40 am

PeacefulAnarchy on Feb 4 2017, 10:30:04 PM wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 4 2017, 09:46:13 PM wrote: Actually, taking a look around now, I think it would make sense to just use the "Film Logs" subforum on the "General Film Discussion" board (THIS), there currently isn't very much going on on that board anyway and thematically "Film Logs" kind of fits, right?
I was thinking that too. For now it's probably best to keep it in this section for visibility but I can move past threads into that subforum after a week or two so they're easier to find.
Sounds good. :)
dream realityImage

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » February 5th, 2017, 5:51 am

sheikofhyrule on Feb 4 2017, 10:03:53 PM wrote:...I always checked the message boards for the individual films after I watched them.
Although obviously not quite the same, I think decent alternatives worth looking into for those who will miss the individual movie boards on IMDb are https://letterboxd.com/ and https://mubi.com/films. Both are popular film databases that offer comment/review sections that allow other users to reply to those comments/reviews. iCM's own comments section of course also can be worthwhile checking out sometimes, although it isn't being used very much. At least those are the worthwhile ones that I know of.
dream realityImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 5th, 2017, 6:41 am

AdamH on Feb 4 2017, 09:03:01 AM wrote:This has to be an opportunity for us to get some new users.

Which projects are there on the IMDb forums which we could incorporate on here? There are a huge amount of users on there and many could enhance the forum. I know that there's a lot of trolling too but it's easy to moderate that. I think that the IMDb forums probably struggle with moderation because of the sheer volume of users. We're unlikely to ever have a problem like that. IMDb is a worldwide famous forum; we're a small forum.

Let's try to use some of their projects. Doubling the Canon for example. It's already become pretty prominent on here because of Angel's posts. Could we host it? I think it's hosted on the IMDb forums just now, right?

Other things like that film festival sound promising too.

I don't expect any huge changes because of IMDb but there is some potential for us because IMDb has a massive membership which will suddenly lose a place to post (I'm sure lots of them post on other forums already...I'm also not sure how many regulars there are on there but I'm guessing a lot with all of the forums, individual forums for films/TV programmes etc.)
set up a landing page that directs searchers here

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 5th, 2017, 6:44 am

Seven_Doors on Feb 4 2017, 05:07:50 PM wrote:Hi everyone. I'm here because of the IMDb boards closing too. I didn't post a lot there, but I checked the boards almost every time I watched a movie. It seemed like whenever I didn't understand something about a movie's plot, my question had already been answered on the boards. I guess it was because I watch a lot of older cult movies, but I didn't see many trolls; it seemed like the trolling went on in the boards of new releases for some reason. I don't think trolling is a good reason to kill the boards, and the suggestion IMDb has made that everyone should go over and use Facebook to talk about movies is just goofy. Some people elsewhere on the web have theories that maybe studios were tired of people trashing new movies and leaking spoilers? Anyway, I hope to find some good threads to read here. I found y'all via Reddit btw.
studio pressure - that also makes good sense for why this is happening

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » February 5th, 2017, 6:58 am

My feeling is that today's social media has hurt online discussion in some ways. While it is more accessible to a wider number of participants, it's way too ephemeral compared to message boards. You can reply and bring new life to a 3-month old thread on a message board, but good luck starting a valuable discussion on a months old Tweet or Facebook post. Not to mention this new transient form of discussion probably ends up being really repetitive because it's so immediate; it's harder to build on what people have said in the past.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » February 5th, 2017, 7:08 am

well, and given something like Facebook is so malleable - especially for a few $s

sol can find me here

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » February 5th, 2017, 10:09 am

Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 4 2017, 09:46:13 PM wrote:
For what it's worth, you hosting would be fine by me. We haven't really settled the whole subforum/no subforum issue yet, I feel, but a mod can always do that at a later point and then move the thread.

Actually, taking a look around now, I think it would make sense to just use the "Film Logs" subforum on the "General Film Discussion" board (THIS), there currently isn't very much going on on that board anyway and thematically "Film Logs" kind of fits, right?

On Film General we usually had the host trying to reply to every single post. Personally I never particularly cared for that, it's a nice gesture but ultimately it only meant a lot of work for the host that rarely amounted to much (neither for him nor for the other posters). Besides, this also worked better with IMDb's nest mode, with the forum structure here it makes less sense. What do you think, Cynical?
Replying to every post made sense on IMDb because of the reason you mentioned (nest mode), here it doesn't add much to discussion if I were to reply with: "Sorry, I've seen none of yours".

It's probably best to reply only if one has something constructive to say or ask.

Anyway, I'll start the topic now.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 5th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Thanks Perception de Ambiguity for inviting people here. Honestly, you've been hugely positive for the forum with all of the games etc. threads. I think you've generated a lot of activity and interesting threads. I hope a few people you invite will stick around here in the absence of the IMDb forum.

I'm thinking that maybe we could start a sub-forum on here for IMDb. Just to see how it goes. Maybe it would attract more former IMDb users. We could have all of the IMDb projects in there. Doubling the Canon, the film festival and any other things that we could try to use from the IMDb forums. Maybe just see how it goes and we can remove it if it's not worth it.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » February 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Alternatively, maybe a section for all of this stuff (IMDb or not). Voting threads, world cup, film of the week etc.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 5th, 2017, 4:29 pm

outdoorcats on Feb 3 2017, 08:10:19 PM wrote:Hey everyone. A refugee from IMDb here. Hope to meet many new film fans, and hopefully will recognize some of my fellow refugees as well.
Hi 'cats... I also gave dark_frances a PM with the location here... seems a lot of posters have already relocated!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 5th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Feb 4 2017, 06:27:05 PM wrote:
AdamH on Feb 4 2017, 09:03:01 AM wrote:Which projects are there on the IMDb forums which we could incorporate on here?
Good question.

Doubling the Canon originally may have started out on IMDb, but by now its home base is just as much here (and on Super Champion Film Zone) as it is on IMDb, Angel Glez ran the project in exactly the same way on all three forums, but correct me if I'm wrong, Angel.
ICM thread: viewtopic.php?t=2361&1/
IMDb thread: http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/thread/253475194
SCFZ thread: http://w11.zetaboards.com/The_Auteurs/topic/11523316/1

Now, a new thing that we absolutely do need to have here is a "weekly viewings" thread, in which posters share all their viewings of the previous week, usually with ratings and more often than not with some thoughts on the films or even reviews. Some users may think now of the "Last Movie Seen" thread here and think that there is no need for such a thread or even much of a demand, but trust me, those threads have their own dynamic. They have been a mainstay of at least the four biggest film-related boards of the IMDb main board (Film General, Classic Film, Movie Awards, Horror), and they almost all had their own unique participants with very little overlap in posters between the individual boards, but they were very popular on all of these boards and have already been so when I joined IMDb back in 2004, and I personally have participated in them every week since 2006 or so. They always generated some very good discussions and exchanges of ideas or recommendations between some of the posters, this weekly thread (as everyone simply called it) was almost the only reason why I still kept posting on IMDb those past few years when things got gradually worse. Here are some example threads:

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/nest/265113810
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/nest/265313579
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000010/nest/264911261
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/nest/265532624

Those threads traditionally were started on Sundays (I think on the Movie Awards board it was on Mondays, but whatever, I didn't go there). I think it will work much better if we can have a fresh weekly thread each week instead of using the same thread every week. If there is a concern that soon they may clutter up a board maybe it's possible to have a subforum dedicated to them? I know many users who already joined here who are dedicated regular participants of the weekly thread (sol, viktor-vaudevillain, ebossert, Carmel, RogerTheMovieManiac88, Cynical Cynephile, flaiky), and some other posters who are more occasional participants. Can some of you guys back me up on this?

We also did a retrospective thread every first of the month in which users shared their Top 10 (or sometimes more) first viewings of the past month, which I have actually been hosting since 2013, but they also have been a mainstay of Film General for as long as I can remember, and which we simply called - surprise - the monthly thread. Here was the last one:

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/nest/265632007

Maybe we could use that same subforum for this monthly thread.

I also had an idea for a "daily short film discussion" project (possibly called "One Short a Day") in which a user picks one short film to discuss that day. Projects with people coming together to watch and discuss the same feature films are often problematic because who has the time or the interest to sit through a random feature, right? Besides, the ICM forum already has the World Cup, the Film of the Week and other similar things anyway. But most people can find enough time per day to watch a 1-minute short, or a 5-minute short, or a 15-minute short, or however long the particular short happens to be, and to exchange some words about it. Plus, I find short films to be way too little talked about in any depth. Anyway, this isn't something that has previously existed on IMDb before, I just thought I may as well use the occasion to get that idea out there now. Let me know if there is an interest for it.
Those weekly reviews and best of the month threads sounds like good additions. It would be great if there a bit more real movie discussing/-reviews threads here. That's one of the things I feel are missing. Although those sometimes can become a bit of a sum-up threads, when people don't engage in discussions with each other.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » February 5th, 2017, 5:14 pm

AdamH on Feb 5 2017, 07:54:18 AM wrote:Alternatively, maybe a section for all of this stuff (IMDb or not). Voting threads, world cup, film of the week etc.
I don't think a special IMDb section will be a good idea. Because we want them to incorporate them into our forum, with a special board they could become a kind of separate group in the forum.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on February 5th, 2017, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.