Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Do Bollywood films suck?

xianjiro
Donator

Do Bollywood films suck?

Post by xianjiro » October 5th, 2016, 9:16 pm

What's your take?

Are there any Bollywood films you like or even adore?

edit 9 July 2018: When we moved, we couldn't bring our polls with us. Here were the results:

Do Bollywood films suck?
Yes 16 (21.6%)
Most do 24 (32.4%)
Too many do 12 (16.2%)
Some do 15 (20.3%)
No 5 (6.8%)
What's Bollywood? 2 (2.7%)
Total Votes: 74

Should iCM make IMDb's "Top Rated Indian Movies" an official list?
Yes! Immediately! 6 (15.8%)
Nah, it's not really a good quality list. 12 (31.6%)
Oh HELL no! 19 (50%)
What's India/Bollywood anyway? 1 (2.6%)
Total Votes: 38
Last edited by xianjiro on July 9th, 2018, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 5th, 2016, 9:19 pm

(sorry, couldn't resist even though I know eyes will roll)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 5th, 2016, 9:20 pm

iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

RBG

Post by RBG » October 5th, 2016, 9:22 pm

there's no question some do -- like some hollywood films suck. they may be an acquired taste but i adore many bollywood films. from classics like pyaasa and awaara to newer films like gangs of wasseypur and band baaja baaraat. there are some terrific tamil and telugu films too (tollywood)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 5th, 2016, 9:24 pm

clearly I didn't dig far enough :(

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 5th, 2016, 9:25 pm

I'd be a lot more forgiving towards Bollywood films if they weren't 3+ hours long. I can see how the silliness is appealing and some sequences here and there can be fun in the right mindset, but they hardly ever justify the time investment.

RBG

Post by RBG » October 5th, 2016, 9:27 pm

recently been watching ss rajamouli (telugu director), some of the most imaginative stuff i've seen in years. yamadonga (2007), maryada ramanna (2010) and especially eega (2012) were great
Last edited by RBG on October 5th, 2016, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 5th, 2016, 9:30 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Oct 5 2016, 03:25:26 PM wrote:I'd be a lot more forgiving towards Bollywood films if they weren't 3+ hours long. I can see how the silliness is appealing and some sequences here and there can be fun in the right mindset, but they hardly ever justify the time investment.
absolutely a fair complaint in my book

I wonder what drives this. Clearly the market wants them to be so long.

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 5th, 2016, 9:31 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on Oct 5 2016, 03:25:26 PM wrote:I'd be a lot more forgiving towards Bollywood films if they weren't 3+ hours long. I can see how the silliness is appealing and some sequences here and there can be fun in the right mindset, but they hardly ever justify the time investment.
Yeah. Perhaps to train patience so you can be good indian worker :/
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 5th, 2016, 9:40 pm

This song, and the dance number, is what I do enjoy about Bollywood. It's fun, exuberant, colorful, and uses it's own, unique visual imagery to communicate the mood. No subtitles needed. And yes, I'll admit the song's a bit bubblegum, but it all comes together for me.

I'm sure there are others I liked a lot when watching them, but none have stuck (or made it to my Tumblr. Yet.)

Besides 3 Idiots, I also gave Gangs of Wasseypur and Lagaan similar ratings though I'm not sure if Gangs fully meets the definition to be Bollywood.

sol can find me here

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 5th, 2016, 10:39 pm

I enjoy them for a number of reasons and I think the vitriol they get on this forum is funny. That said, I can't say that they are objectively good, and I can only take them in small doses (one every once in a while).

monty

Post by monty » October 5th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Bollywood films are not for me. I'd rather watch a Hababam feature.
Last edited by monty on October 5th, 2016, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » October 5th, 2016, 11:08 pm

The reason for their excessive length is jokingly (or seriously?) credited to cinemas having air-con! For some reason it's always been like that. Co-incidentally I found a bunch of 1930s Indian cinema that I hadn't seen today over at indiancine.ma. Will be checking those out the next week. But even back then the films where over 2 hours and closing in on 3. Crazy really, but the music business have had a heavy hand in the song & dance stuff using the films to promo their hits. Now that things are going over to streaming things might be changing a little as singles sales are not done in the same way.

Regardless in 2015 I decided to test my patience with Bollywood and try and understand it a little better, only to find out there is also Tollywood, Mollywood and several other. Different regions and languages, which sometimes creates a ton of remakes in the different spoken words and local sensibilities. For example, I pretty much disliked the Hindi film Drishyam (2015), but really liked it's Tamil adaptation Papanasam (2015). Both a remake of the Malayalam language film Drishyam (2013) which was also remade as Drishya (2014) in Kannada and Drushyam (2014) in the Telugu language. Maybe I'll check those last 3 out to see how different the same story can get depending on place of origin. So as you can see Indian cinema is a confusing landscape.

On my dig through "Bollywood" (and the others) I found that there were actually a lot of good to great films being made in the country, even with my fear of the song & dance stuff. Ton of crap too, but that's the case anywhere. But it helps if you like over-the-top stuff to endure the punishment.

Picking out the good from the bad is close to impossible as the Indian crowd overrates even the worst of films, but there are films being made in a more international flavor (without the music stuff) and I had several films scoring high in my Top-150 for 2015. These might be interesting to some that want to experiment with Indian cinema:

5. Dum Laga Ke Haisha (2015) 8/10 Rom-com
12. Talvar (2015) 8/10 Thriller
34. Badlapur (2015) 7/10 Action
56. Papanasam (2015) 7/10 Thriller
82. Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! (2015) 6/10 Thriller
98. Shamitabh (2015) 6/10 Comedy/Drama
104. Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015) 6/10 Action
124. Manjhi: The Mountain Man (2015) 6/10 Drama
140 . Nh10 (2015) 6/10 Thriller

In short, Indian cinema can be real good.... but it's mostly crap.
Last edited by PUNQ on October 5th, 2016, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The Western Challenge 2016 & 2017, Asian Challenge 2016 GOLD medallist!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 25,000 Checks Club!
- The guy with the most reviews on Letterboxd!

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » October 5th, 2016, 11:34 pm

That one where the guy's a robot and he multiplies him self and turns into a massive snake made of his robot clones, I liked that.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 6th, 2016, 12:11 am

pjim on Oct 5 2016, 05:34:19 PM wrote:That one where the guy's a robot and he multiplies him self and turns into a massive snake made of his robot clones, I liked that.
Sounds like a Thai/Japanese collaboration to me.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

RBG

Post by RBG » October 6th, 2016, 12:41 am

i've seen a fair few bollywood horror films too, gonna watch raat (1992) soon (hindi poltergeist remake :o)
Last edited by RBG on October 6th, 2016, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 6th, 2016, 3:33 am

PUNQ on Oct 5 2016, 05:08:31 PM wrote:The reason for their excessive length is jokingly (or seriously?) credited to cinemas having air-con! For some reason it's always been like that. Co-incidentally I found a bunch of 1930s Indian cinema that I hadn't seen today over at indiancine.ma. Will be checking those out the next week. But even back then the films where over 2 hours and closing in on 3. Crazy really, but the music business have had a heavy hand in the song & dance stuff using the films to promo their hits. Now that things are going over to streaming things might be changing a little as singles sales are not done in the same way.

Regardless in 2015 I decided to test my patience with Bollywood and try and understand it a little better, only to find out there is also Tollywood, Mollywood and several other. Different regions and languages, which sometimes creates a ton of remakes in the different spoken words and local sensibilities. For example, I pretty much disliked the Hindi film Drishyam (2015), but really liked it's Tamil adaptation Papanasam (2015). Both a remake of the Malayalam language film Drishyam (2013) which was also remade as Drishya (2014) in Kannada and Drushyam (2014) in the Telugu language. Maybe I'll check those last 3 out to see how different the same story can get depending on place of origin. So as you can see Indian cinema is a confusing landscape.

On my dig through "Bollywood" (and the others) I found that there were actually a lot of good to great films being made in the country, even with my fear of the song & dance stuff. Ton of crap too, but that's the case anywhere. But it helps if you like over-the-top stuff to endure the punishment.

Picking out the good from the bad is close to impossible as the Indian crowd overrates even the worst of films, but there are films being made in a more international flavor (without the music stuff) and I had several films scoring high in my Top-150 for 2015. These might be interesting to some that want to experiment with Indian cinema:

Thanks for the leads. The AC thing makes some sense, especially if these lengths have been standard for years. Also, maybe Indians are just more willing to spend that much time in the cinema - but I know Bollywood (and I'm only talking about films from Mumbai in Hindi) is also pretty popular from the Middle East through SE Asia. Of course most of the films have only a hint of sex and the violence is tame by American standards, so I'm sure that makes it more appealing in Muslim countries. [Not sure how big the films are in Pakistan though.]

I've wondered if they aren't marketed as giving people more than Hollywood does - yes, in terms of sore bums certainly, but also more of the things which are generally cheaper to do in movies: song, dance, merriment, old-fashioned visuals, etc. Just thinking in bits and bytes.

But more than anything, the idea that the Indian music industry has a huge interest makes the most sense, especially given that all the DVDs have quick navigation to the musical numbers and also judging by the logos attached to the more modern of films.

Thanks for sharing your assessment, PUNQ.

sol can find me here

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 6th, 2016, 5:45 am

Generally speaking, I can take or leave them. The ones I didn't care too much for I just chalk up as ignorance toward the Indian culture and leave it at that. But, there's some I've seen that I've actually enjoyed; Like Stars on Earth and Lagaan comes to mind.

But, as said earlier, one of the off-putting things is the length. I can only fit them in on days off, so, I don't watch them too often.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » October 6th, 2016, 9:31 am

RBG on Oct 5 2016, 03:22:37 PM wrote: there are some terrific tamil and telugu films too (tollywood)

"Terrific tamil movies" is not something one would hear more often :D So, what are those films ? Also, you haven't seen Rajamouli's magnum opus yet..

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » October 6th, 2016, 9:40 am

Regarding the length, Indian audience (at least till last decade) love to watch every genre mixed as a nice package in a film. You will have bit of drama, musical numbers, comedy, romance, action and some thrills in a single film. In recent times only, coupled with this generation's low attention span, people have been accepting single genre films. So you'd see lot of films with less than 140 minutes now. Nowadays, the only films that get around 3 hour runtime is the films with mega stars (the Khans, Rajnikanth etc.) or epic-in-scope films (Baahubali). Exceptions can be there like Gangs of Wasseypur, but that's just director's wish (The director Anurag Kashyap is currently the best in Bollywood. Try some of his films. His recent output Raman Ragav 2.0 is a good thriller)

Also, Bollywood (Hindi language) films without mega stars are having decent quality, less songs, less runtime. Almost all the recent Bollywood films that are said to be decent are the ones without mega stars.

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » October 6th, 2016, 10:06 am

Gershwin on Oct 5 2016, 06:11:03 PM wrote:
pjim on Oct 5 2016, 05:34:19 PM wrote:That one where the guy's a robot and he multiplies him self and turns into a massive snake made of his robot clones, I liked that.
Sounds like a Thai/Japanese collaboration to me.
Enthiran, that's the one. Not really bollywood though as it's Tamil apparently.

Here is some of its genius.

Last edited by Coco LaBerge on October 6th, 2016, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daviddoes

Post by Daviddoes » October 6th, 2016, 10:53 am

tommy_leazaq on Oct 6 2016, 03:40:58 AM wrote:Exceptions can be there like Gangs of Wasseypur, but that's just director's wish (The director Anurag Kashyap is currently the best in Bollywood. Try some of his films. His recent output Raman Ragav 2.0 is a good thriller)
I recently watched Raman Ragav 2.0 and it made me sick to my stomach, as the movie focuses on a remorseless killer that is a compliment.

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » October 6th, 2016, 12:11 pm

xianjiro on Oct 5 2016, 09:33:02 PM wrote:
PUNQ on Oct 5 2016, 05:08:31 PM wrote:The reason for their excessive length is jokingly (or seriously?) credited to cinemas having air-con! For some reason it's always been like that. Co-incidentally I found a bunch of 1930s Indian cinema that I hadn't seen today over at indiancine.ma. Will be checking those out the next week. But even back then the films where over 2 hours and closing in on 3. Crazy really, but the music business have had a heavy hand in the song & dance stuff using the films to promo their hits. Now that things are going over to streaming things might be changing a little as singles sales are not done in the same way.

Thanks for the leads. The AC thing makes some sense, especially if these lengths have been standard for years. Also, maybe Indians are just more willing to spend that much time in the cinema - but I know Bollywood (and I'm only talking about films from Mumbai in Hindi) is also pretty popular from the Middle East through SE Asia. Of course most of the films have only a hint of sex and the violence is tame by American standards, so I'm sure that makes it more appealing in Muslim countries. [Not sure how big the films are in Pakistan though.]

I've wondered if they aren't marketed as giving people more than Hollywood does - yes, in terms of sore bums certainly, but also more of the things which are generally cheaper to do in movies: song, dance, merriment, old-fashioned visuals, etc. Just thinking in bits and bytes.

But more than anything, the idea that the Indian music industry has a huge interest makes the most sense, especially given that all the DVDs have quick navigation to the musical numbers and also judging by the logos attached to the more modern of films.

Thanks for sharing your assessment, PUNQ.
Bollywood movies are definitely violent. Sometimes brutally so. But in way it's more dream like, fantasy like choreography, almost as if they hero/mega star are superheroes. Cheesy as hell most of the time, but definitely violent. As for the sex. The sexuality is present, it's just not a nipple fest. In those respects Indian movies surprised me as less conservative then expected.

I can agree with what tommy has to say about not all films being 3 hours anymore, and when they are that long it's the mega stars (or wanna be mega stars/producers sons/4th generation rich brats, etc) that try their best to appeal to everybody using everything, including the kitchen sink, to fill the 3 hour cinema experience.... and it's usually a mess narratively. On a positive, the smaller film makers are smarter and appeal more to a international market, though they struggle to shine through because of the Bollywood jungle flooded with films "only" Indians want to watch.

To keep things positive about Indian film, they are very colorful. More visual then substance perhaps, but amazing to look at from a composition level. That's a aspect Bollywood is ahead compared to most of the movie world. So if you can take the hyperbole of their acting/storytelling, and take the cheesy stuff for what it is, Bollywood films are like candy for the eyes.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 6th, 2016, 3:50 pm

One I saw and liked recently was Airlift, set in Kuwait during the 1990 Iraq invasion thereof (currently streaming on NF US). There were a couple of song-and-dance numbers and a few love songs, but mostly it was a political thriller with the requisite nod to Bollywood conventions. These do take some getting used to but once I learned to take them in stride I've found and enjoyed quite a few with real substance. They're by no means all fluff.
Last edited by 3eyes on October 6th, 2016, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » October 6th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Yeah, Airlift (2016) is alright. Sort of a Indian Schindler's List story (though not as great of course). I like the lead guy Akshay Kumar, especially in cheesy action movies. And I agree, the atmosphere/acting style takes some get used to in Bollywood films (in what I call the hyperbole style), especially since movies in the west have a tendency to tone down the acting to almost extreme levels nowadays (MY GOD, start to show some personality, NOT less then what you have!), but once you are able to accept that the style is different and can look past that, one is able to appreciate the qualities many of those films have.

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » October 6th, 2016, 4:59 pm

I quite liked Lagaan (2001) it was pretty cheesy, but definitely entertaining.

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » October 10th, 2016, 8:27 am

Speaking of Indian films. Had the pleasure to see three fairly rare official checks this past week. All classics from the National Film Archive of India 125 Great Indian Films list and available with English subtitles!

Kunku [Marriage of Children] (1937) - See it
--- A brave tale of a daughter standing up to her parents trying to marry her off to a old man. Gets weary after a while, which is a typical thing considering the exaggerated length of Indian movies, but there are some exceptionally strong scenes here too. I'm thinking of the few scenes where the girl shows her strength against the pressure and the old man's conscience talking with himself in the mirror. That last one was a classic paranoia moment!
5/10

Manoos [Life Is for the Living] (1939) - See it
--- If there is one subject which have interested film makers since dawn of movies, is the story of the prostitute with the heart of gold. Common theme during Hollywood's precode years and in many ways what Japanese cinema has lived off on, here is the Indian variety of the subject. Cheerful on one hand with songs filling the air. On the other a tearful girl in remorse about her situation and flirt with the policeman. For me it was all handled a little safe to hit any emotional core. Sweet in parts, but compared to so many films with a similar moral lesson Manoos (1939) feels very average, though the film has it's fans.
5/10

Diamond Queen (1940) - See it
--- Diamond Queen (1940). English title, Indian film in Hindi, starring white Australian circus lady with the wonderful artist name of Fearless Nadia! Welcome to some wonderful world cinema hokum! Fearless Nadia and her male co-star have bar brawls as if they were Terence Hill and Bud Spencer! I didn't know what was going on half the time, and I've sure they didn't care either. What was sure was they were there to entertain! Not going to go as far as call Diamond Queen a great movie, but it's one culture clash I wouldn't want to be without!
6/10

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 10th, 2016, 8:34 am

Not sure when I'll have time to see it, but I did download this: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/umrao+jaan/ it looks good.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » October 10th, 2016, 10:12 am

PUNQ on Oct 10 2016, 02:27:38 AM wrote:Speaking of Indian films. Had the pleasure to see three fairly rare official checks this past week. All classics from the National Film Archive of India 125 Great Indian Films list and available with English subtitles!

Kunku [Marriage of Children] (1937) - See it
--- A brave tale of a daughter standing up to her parents trying to marry her off to a old man. Gets weary after a while, which is a typical thing considering the exaggerated length of Indian movies, but there are some exceptionally strong scenes here too. I'm thinking of the few scenes where the girl shows her strength against the pressure and the old man's conscience talking with himself in the mirror. That last one was a classic paranoia moment!
5/10

Manoos [Life Is for the Living] (1939) - See it
--- If there is one subject which have interested film makers since dawn of movies, is the story of the prostitute with the heart of gold. Common theme during Hollywood's precode years and in many ways what Japanese cinema has lived off on, here is the Indian variety of the subject. Cheerful on one hand with songs filling the air. On the other a tearful girl in remorse about her situation and flirt with the policeman. For me it was all handled a little safe to hit any emotional core. Sweet in parts, but compared to so many films with a similar moral lesson Manoos (1939) feels very average, though the film has it's fans.
5/10

Diamond Queen (1940) - See it
--- Diamond Queen (1940). English title, Indian film in Hindi, starring white Australian circus lady with the wonderful artist name of Fearless Nadia! Welcome to some wonderful world cinema hokum! Fearless Nadia and her male co-star have bar brawls as if they were Terence Hill and Bud Spencer! I didn't know what was going on half the time, and I've sure they didn't care either. What was sure was they were there to entertain! Not going to go as far as call Diamond Queen a great movie, but it's one culture clash I wouldn't want to be without!
6/10
thanks for the leads!

sol can find me here

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 10th, 2016, 4:54 pm

Ettinauer226XL on Oct 10 2016, 02:34:25 AM wrote:Not sure when I'll have time to see it, but I did download this: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/umrao+jaan/ it looks good.
Don't get put off by the somewhat crappy beginning - the movie picks up after a while. Another good thing about the movie are the songs by Asha Bhosle.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 15th, 2016, 5:43 am

just recieved via email:
Dear film lover,

We are excited to bring to you an IMDb experience catered to the interests of the millions of movie & TV fans in India. Today we launched www.imdb.com/india. Now, in addition to using IMDb as the authoritative destination for international films and TV shows, you can rely on us as an entertainment destination that will keep you up to date on the latest and greatest Indian movies.

Bookmark www.imdb.com/india/trending or download the IMDb app to stay current with “What’s Trending in India” across upcoming movies and celebrities, updated daily.

You can now plan your movie nights based on the “IMDb Top Rated Indian Movies” list that includes movies in Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, and Bengali. The list is ranked by a rigorous formula which includes the number of ratings each movie received among other criteria. To complement the movie recommendations based on inputs from IMDb users, you will also discover recommendations based on our editors picks. Our editors put me through an Amitabh Bachchan quiz today. I scored a measly 5/10 – clearly I have more Big B movie watching to do.

I am proud and humbled to see millions of people across the world using IMDb everyday. IMDb was born out of my personal film diary and lifelong obsession with cinema. IMDb’s first version was the simple database I created on my computer of every film I saw since the age of 13. I encourage you to visit IMDb and join the community of passionate movie fans across the world. I have 234 Indian movies on my watchlist currently, and my most memorable Indian film is 3 Idiots (2009). What is yours? Tell us using the hashtag #IMDbIndia

Cheers,
Col

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 15th, 2016, 5:44 am

no idea yet if this means the IMDb Top 250 India will move off to the new site or not - nor what this means for that pesky problem (some have) with Bollywood hits making the standard IMDb Top 250

interesting development

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » December 15th, 2016, 5:52 am

I assume it means that allowing Indian films into the top 250 and making a separate Indian 250 were preparation for this announcement, not that something else will change going forward. If they made a non-English language+non-Bollywood Top 250 to accompany the two Top250s they added it might be ok, but otherwise this is a horrid compromise.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 15th, 2016, 6:00 am

As soon as I saw Aamir Khan's face plastered on the side of an imdb page, I knew something was wrong.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 15th, 2016, 6:10 am

yeah, I'm just watching from the sideline but it never fails to amaze me when I read reviews/comments for the Bollywood films that do make it to the standard Top 250. It's pretty clear that Indian IMDb users feel slighted - and yet, try as I might, I can only find an occasional film that I have to question rating higher than a 7 - and yet when I look at the breakdown, it's clear someone thinks the movie is the greatest ever.

I guess imdb.com/turkey is next?
Last edited by xianjiro on December 15th, 2016, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » December 15th, 2016, 6:13 am

Well, it's just the blockbusters that seem to make it here. I love Indian cinema. I just hate that Aamir Khan style bullshit, which seem to be the ones getting attention.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » December 15th, 2016, 9:46 am

To me, I see no difference in the Bollywood stuff and the latest Superhero flick. Neither really deserves to be on the list, and almost always their stay is temporary. Both are voted way up (especially early on in their release) by over-enthusiastic fanbases that are quite popular.

Granted, not all superhero films or Bollywood films are terrible. Just most are.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 15th, 2016, 10:06 am

treadwaynathan on Dec 15 2016, 02:46:36 AM wrote:To me, I see no difference in the Bollywood stuff and the latest Superhero flick. Neither really deserves to be on the list, and almost always their stay is temporary. Both are voted way up (especially early on in their release) by over-enthusiastic fanbases that are quite popular.

Granted, not all superhero films or Bollywood films are terrible. Just most are.
:thumbsup: well put!

sol can find me here

Rene Narciso

Post by Rene Narciso » December 15th, 2016, 4:12 pm

treadwaynathan on Dec 15 2016, 02:46:36 AM wrote:To me, I see no difference in the Bollywood stuff and the latest Superhero flick. Neither really deserves to be on the list, and almost always their stay is temporary. Both are voted way up (especially early on in their release) by over-enthusiastic fanbases that are quite popular.

To be honest, there is a lot more weirdness in IMDB lists than just superhero or Bollywood films placed too high. I will probably get some bashing for saying this, but it starts at the very top. The Shawshank Redemption is an excellent movie, no doubt, but the greatest movie ever? Nope. I would say the same of Fight Club, American History X and many others in the Top 250. All very decent movies, but not the very best movies ever.

The IMDB list has a thing for male bonding movies, and also 1990s movies (though not as much as the male bonding). It's simply a reflection of the demography that votes on the movies. And that is okay. It will always be subjective. The deluge of Indian movies just makes this more explicit.

Speaking of it, I think I only watched one Indian movie in my life, Mother India (1957). It was no worse than Hollywood 1950s epics (and considerably more Freudian).
Last edited by Rene Narciso on December 15th, 2016, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 15th, 2016, 9:51 pm

You're not the only one who thinks Shawshank's rating needs redemption.
Last edited by xianjiro on December 15th, 2016, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here