Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

That's the Name?!?

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6957
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: That's the Name?!?

#41

Post by 3eyes » April 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm

There was a Danish silent film which ended with the hero bringing his Martian bride home to meet his mother - final title: SLUT

[the end]

Giggles back in college when we found out that tampon was French for "manhole cover"
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
Minkin
Posts: 515
Joined: Jan 13, 2015
Location: Ventura County, CA
Contact:

#42

Post by Minkin » April 12th, 2019, 7:53 am

I'm sure I can come up with a decent list of oddities that I've run across, but the two stories below are the best that immediately come to mind:

-I had a professor who's name was James bond (he went by Jim for obvious reasons). He was the least James Bond person you could think of too. Apparently the University department made a trip to Japan, and the guide or someone excitedly read out his name, and then a flock of Japanese locals swarmed him wanting their picture taken with The James Bond. I'm sure the other professors never let him live that moment down. Which reminds me of a kid in my middle school: Lance Armstrong (who was super jazzed about his namesake; I wonder what happened when the doping allegations surfaced).

-I was dragged to some fucked-up super conservative church service in my youth, and the only thing that got me through the 2 hour sermon was seeing that the flowers were "donated by the Hurlbutt family." (with two T's, although a single T spelling appears to be rather oddly common).


@ 3eyes - we must've seen the same movie (forgot which one), as we were shocked when we saw that ending too. Just sat there thinking "well, that wasn't very nice."
Actually, I just looked into it, and the Turkish film Dry Summer (1963) ends with that!

User avatar
pitchorneirda
Posts: 81
Joined: Feb 11, 2019
Contact:

#43

Post by pitchorneirda » April 12th, 2019, 9:51 am

3eyes wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm
There was a Danish silent film which ended with the hero bringing his Martian bride home to meet his mother - final title: SLUT

[the end]

Giggles back in college when we found out that tampon was French for "manhole cover"
Tampon is French for..."tampon", or "stamp"...but "manhole cover"? I really don't think so, it would be "bouche d'égoût"

User avatar
Ivan0716
Posts: 1208
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Contact:

#44

Post by Ivan0716 » April 12th, 2019, 10:41 am

Not film related but here's a classic:

Image

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6957
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#45

Post by 3eyes » April 12th, 2019, 12:32 pm

pitchorneirda wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:51 am
3eyes wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm
There was a Danish silent film which ended with the hero bringing his Martian bride home to meet his mother - final title: SLUT

[the end]

Giggles back in college when we found out that tampon was French for "manhole cover"
Tampon is French for..."tampon", or "stamp"...but "manhole cover"? I really don't think so, it would be "bouche d'égoût"
We got that from our French-English dictionary (forget name, but college standard in those days) - mind you, this was 60 years ago and I'm aware that the language has changed quite a bit since then. Languages have a way of doing that. "Tu" was very restricted back then.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

PirateJenny
Posts: 417
Joined: Feb 21, 2019
Contact:

#46

Post by PirateJenny » April 12th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 10:41 am
Not film related but here's a classic:

Image
I suppose it's quite a common name, but watching Play It Again, Sam the other day, the amount of times there's a line along the lines of "I love Dick" made me chuckle.

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7544
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#47

Post by xianjiro » October 17th, 2019, 4:59 am

Just finished reading a book by a guy with the last name "Bate". And I thought I had it bad growing up when people called me Master X (you didn't think I'd actually type my family name here, did you?) I seem to recall that some private schools (to everyone but the English - who call them 'public') called students Master surname - did I see it in a movie somewhere? If so, I can imagine the titters as this poor guy reached adolescence. The book doesn't include any biographical information on the editors, but given that it's a Royal Shakespeare Company edition ... As I said, I'm glad that isn't my family name.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
yllow
Posts: 66
Joined: Dec 10, 2018
Contact:

#48

Post by yllow » October 17th, 2019, 2:23 pm

And Norman Bates was Master Bates

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3946
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#49

Post by Onderhond » October 17th, 2019, 2:54 pm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114126/

Pik Lik Foh. For a Dutch person, that reads like Dick Lick Foh.

User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#50

Post by gromit82 » October 18th, 2019, 12:50 am

3eyes wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm
There was a Danish silent film which ended with the hero bringing his Martian bride home to meet his mother - final title: SLUT

[the end]
I realize that this isn't the point of this thread, but did you say the main character married a woman from another planet?

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6957
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#51

Post by 3eyes » October 18th, 2019, 12:55 am

gromit82 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 12:50 am
3eyes wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm
There was a Danish silent film which ended with the hero bringing his Martian bride home to meet his mother - final title: SLUT

[the end]
I realize that this isn't the point of this thread, but did you say the main character married a woman from another planet?
Yes. The movie was Himmelskibet / A trip to Mars (Denmark 1918)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
gromit82
Donator
Posts: 312
Joined: Feb 06, 2017
Location: USA
Contact:

#52

Post by gromit82 » October 18th, 2019, 1:44 am

3eyes wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 12:55 am
gromit82 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 12:50 am
3eyes wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm
There was a Danish silent film which ended with the hero bringing his Martian bride home to meet his mother - final title: SLUT

[the end]
I realize that this isn't the point of this thread, but did you say the main character married a woman from another planet?
Yes. The movie was Himmelskibet / A trip to Mars (Denmark 1918)
Thanks. Reportedly, during the Production Code era, American distributors would leave "FIN" at the end of French films and "FINE" at the end of Italian films, but not surprisingly, they would remove "SLUT" from the end of Swedish films.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6957
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#53

Post by 3eyes » October 18th, 2019, 2:22 am

:D at least in Norwegian it's slutt.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7544
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#54

Post by xianjiro » October 18th, 2019, 3:13 am

wonder what they'd do with an Italian Swedish co-production. Would it be "fine slut" or "slut finé"?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7895
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#55

Post by maxwelldeux » October 18th, 2019, 4:35 am

gromit82 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 1:44 am
"SLUT" from the end of Swedish films.
That's one of my nicknames for my wife (long story, won't share, but she's definitely fine with it). Whenever I watch a Swedish film, I have to ask her if it's OK the film finished.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6957
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#56

Post by 3eyes » October 18th, 2019, 12:06 pm

When I was a child (with no knowledge of either the noun or its significance) I invented the (onomatopoetic) verb "slut" for a dog licking its privates.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7895
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#57

Post by maxwelldeux » October 18th, 2019, 10:34 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 12:06 pm
When I was a child (with no knowledge of either the noun or its significance) I invented the (onomatopoetic) verb "slut" for a dog licking its privates.
It does kinda fit... :lol:

Ally Theater
Posts: 69
Joined: Oct 11, 2019
Contact:

#58

Post by Ally Theater » October 18th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Rusty Kuntz is always the first one that comes to my mind when discussing amusing names.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6957
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#59

Post by 3eyes » October 19th, 2019, 3:30 am

xianjiro wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 3:13 am
wonder what they'd do with an Italian Swedish co-production. Would it be "fine slut" or "slut finé"?
Just saw this - :lol:
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7544
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#60

Post by xianjiro » March 6th, 2020, 6:08 pm

:rip: Hossein Sheikholeslam

And recently I came across the name Beyoung Yu in a news report.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 7544
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#61

Post by xianjiro » May 4th, 2020, 8:46 pm

kind of like this one ... he wasn't a dummkopf, he was Theophan Ouchakoff

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Post Reply