Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

The Anime lounge

kingink

The Anime lounge

Post by kingink » May 9th, 2015, 4:24 pm

All you anime lovers out there can consider this your home from now on.

Too many discussions and great recomendations are scattered throughout the forum, so it's time for an anime lounge.

Post your favorites, what you're watching, make recommendations or even complain about why you don't like anime :P

Don't forget to check all the discussions we had at the Anime series challenge

kingink

Post by kingink » May 9th, 2015, 4:29 pm

I'm currently watching Monster, which is an absolute delight!

And I just started Shigurui Death Frenzy.
I've only seen the first episode, but it seemed very interesting.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 9th, 2015, 4:39 pm

I'm currently watching Urusei Yatsura which is... okay. Too nutty/annoying for me. Segments thus far in season 1 have been 10 mins long and little continuity is retained as most segments end in some over the top situation. Some segments introduce moderately interesting sci-fi concepts. I still plan to see 100 episodes of it and wonder in what ways movie 2 is going to improve

Currently nothing planned for after this one. Perhaps I'll watch Planetes or that Mushishi
Last edited by Armoreska on May 9th, 2015, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 9th, 2015, 11:25 pm

I'm currently watching 'WataMote No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular! which is a great character study of a lonely girl in muddled states and with social anxiety. There are many awkward and embarrassing moments in this anime, but that, for me, makes it more true to life, honest and dared. After I finish it (I've got 3 episodes left) I'll probably start again some more science-fiction-cyberpunk series.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 9th, 2015, 11:34 pm

I haven't watched much anime since March, but I'll watch some more anime in June for the animation challenge.

kingink

Post by kingink » May 10th, 2015, 8:26 am

Armoreska on May 9 2015, 10:39:51 AM wrote:I'm currently watching Urusei Yatsura which is... okay. Too nutty/annoying for me. Segments thus far in season 1 have been 10 mins long and little continuity is retained as most segments end in some over the top situation. Some segments introduce moderately interesting sci-fi concepts. I still plan to see 100 episodes of it and wonder in what ways movie 2 is going to improve

Currently nothing planned for after this one. Perhaps I'll watch Planetes or that Mushishi
Urusei Yatsura 2 is a great movie indeed. You mean that by watching the whole series you could fill out some blanks in the film? A courageous act! I think it stood by itself in a great way, so I'm not sure if I'll ever watch the series. Going back to the start of the story and how they met each other etc feels like a drag...

Please watch Mushishi. I want to hear your opinion. Everyone else seems to like it very much, but I thought it was so damn boring!
And yes... I just recommended something I don't like :lol: :P

kingink

Post by kingink » August 16th, 2015, 5:02 pm

I've been slowing watching Gintama for the past month because I really wanted to see what it's all about. It's rating in MAL is insane!
I didn't like it very much at first but after a while I started to get into it's world and to appreciate it's humor.
I'm at episode 28 right now. The thing is that I don't know if it's worth to watch all those episodes. They are just too many and I don't think it's such an amazing show that can keep my interest alive for so many episodes.
What are your thoughts on Gintama?
For now I think I'll watch the first 49 episodes that I've already downloaded and then freeze it and watch other anime series. I don't quite get why it's so highly rated... I like it so far, don't get me wrong, but I just don't get the rating.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 16th, 2015, 6:38 pm

1. we had an anime lounge? huh.
2. I literally just started watching Gintama. last night. two episodes in. no opinion yet but I will continue watching it. (I also thought it was humorous right from the start. running away from a swordfight? his show is on at 4? comeon).
3. some stuff I've watched recently w/ rankings/recs.
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
100 Byou Cinema: Robo to Shoujo (Kari): 9 eps. short runtime (2min each) about a girl who is kind of a robot living in a little shack in a construction site. she buys an appliance who is also a robot with some personality issues. definition of well, that escalated quickly. 5/10

Amagi Brilliant Park: 13+1 episodes. a narcissist is coerced by his classmate into trying to fix up a rundown theme park. that happens to be populated by magical beings who subsist on the happiness exuded by humans. sounds awful but it's soo dope. really enjoyed this one. hella funny. avoid if you don't like perverted mascots or humor. also, anime goes to great lengths sometimes to
actual spoilersShow
make the loli character not actually a loli.
just sayin'. also, it's written by the full metal panic guy. 8.5-9/10

Cowboy Bebop: rewatch. better than before. the first 7 or 8 episodes are a little protracted, because half of them were added into the running order later but those episodes aren't bad or anything.

Ketsuekigata-kun!: bloodtype stereotypes short gag series. don't bother. it's not terrible but it's just not worth your time (which is probably 25 minutes total).

original '79 Gundam [movie version]: s'alright. 4-7/10. that last one is the best for sure. great last hour or so.

Little Witch Academia: 1 ep. 25min. watch it. just go watch it. cliched as hell story but the best animation/design. by Trigger. also, I'm probably still feeling the residual effects of having seen the Harry Potter films twice in a week in a half.

Lupin Sansei: original series. 23 episodes. there is quite the shift when Miyazaki & crew took over. an obvious precursor to Cowboy Bebop. if you're into the older stuff, check it out.

Nourin: 12 eps. what if you took the normal high school comedy and put it at a agriculture school? you'd get a show with a good first couple episodes and a good couple last episodes and some sludge in the middle. 5/10

Wooser no Sono Higurashi: first two seasons. 12+ 1 each. 5min runtime. it's alright. squanders its runtime most of the time. doesn't really go anywhere/no continuity until the final episode. typical gag show I guess. but interesting animation. cg that looks traditional. 3-3.5/10

Yama no Susume: 12+1 3min each. this is how to do a short runtime show. girls get into mountain climbing. worth it. 6/10. and there's a second season!
I'm also watching a bunch of other stuff right now. so. more later I guess. oh and I'm about a third thru [re]watching the Ghibli films.
Last edited by funkybusiness on August 16th, 2015, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » August 16th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Not a pure anime, but an US-Japanese co-production, but I'll mention it here anyway - 1001 Nights, a short with artwork by Yoshitaka Amano, whom mjf has been pimping recently. I liked this much more than the equally artsy Fantascope Tylostoma - it's actually animated, in colour, and with a great (modern) classical music soundtrack.

Sample:

The whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6xDTr8dNM

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 3rd, 2015, 1:32 am

I'm watching Planetes (anime works well for tablet viewing) and it's...just mildly ok. I even gave out a 5/10 to one of the episodes.
Mushishi goes next, but what comes after that, I don't yet know. I probably should finish the project of watching all the "pilots" then.
currently working thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 3rd, 2015, 2:39 am

Armoreska on Oct 2 2015, 07:32:54 PM wrote:I'm watching Planetes (anime works well for tablet viewing) and it's...just mildly ok. I even gave out a 5/10 to one of the episodes.
Mushishi goes next, but what comes after that, I don't yet know. I probably should finish the project of watching all the "pilots" then.
How many episodes of Planetes have you watched so far? The second half is much better than the first half. Episode 4 was the worst.

I hope you'll rewatch those pilots when you finally get around to watching the entire series (especially for non-episodic series), because you'll probably forget stuff.

I'm not sure what to recommend because I don't know what you've watched, but you might find this list useful: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/anim ... es/mjf314/

I've seen 22/50 from that list and I liked almost all of them.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 3rd, 2015, 8:56 am

Here you go, not that much
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Armor ... de_types=6
and 2 more in this list
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Armor ... de_types=6

I'm approaching the better half then

Of course I rewatch
Last edited by Armoreska on October 3rd, 2015, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 3rd, 2015, 9:05 am

You haven't watched Monster yet, so I recommend watching that.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is probably also a good choice, but I haven't seen it yet. According to AP, it's similar to both The Tatami Galaxy and Welcome to the NHK!.

Why did you drop Urusei Yatsura? Did you watch those 122 episodes only for the sake of being able to watch the movies, but not like it enough to watch the remaining 73 episodes? Or did you initially like it but then get tired of it?
Last edited by mjf314 on October 3rd, 2015, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 3rd, 2015, 9:19 am

almost everything Shaft has done since (and including) SZS is worthwhile. that is, works they produced, not just for-hire animation work (which has become fewer and fewer series over the years). I will say they do like to work in genres, so if you don't like harem or high school romcoms they might not initially appeal to you but it's hard to say they resemble anything average or cliched with their animation and directing style.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 3rd, 2015, 9:48 am

I think I've seen 3 Shaft series, Madoka Magica, Ef: A Tale of Memories, and Rec. All 3 were good, but Rec was the worst of the 3, which was a disappointment considering who directed it.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 3rd, 2015, 10:18 am

mjf314 on Oct 3 2015, 03:48:05 AM wrote:I think I've seen 3 Shaft series, Madoka Magica, Ef: A Tale of Memories, and Rec. All 3 were good, but Rec was the worst of the 3, which was a disappointment considering who directed it.
I haven't seen Madoka Magica but I've heard it's quite good. did you watch the films?

I'd say try out the aforementioned SZS and sequels, Nisekoi (title means fakelove, son of a yakuza leader has to fake an engagement), and the Bakemonogatari+sequels series (which, as I progress in the series, is steadily becoming my favorite anime). if you don't mind cross dressing gender bent stuff you might try Maria Holic. but Hidamari Sketch is probably too breezy (4koma. four high school girls live in a dorm complex across from their school. things happen. or don't. kawaiiasfuck. quintessential slice of life series tho. like a less chaotic Nichijou)

ask if you need help navigating the convoluted chronology of Bakemonogatari.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 3rd, 2015, 10:33 am

No, I haven't seen the Madoka Magica films. It's one of the many things I wanted to watch during the Japanese challenge, but I'm always running out of time before I get to watch the stuff that I want to watch.

Shouldn't I watch Bakemonogatari in release date order? Or is it better to watch it a different way?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 3rd, 2015, 10:58 am

Well, release order isn't actually the right order because Shaft couldn't meet deadlines. also, everything after Bakemonogatari is achronological. so.

1) Bakemonogatari 15 episodes. Make sure you watch the 3 that are typically listed as specials (or at least on anidb). Shaft just pulled a shaft and didn't manage to complete them in time.
2) Read the book Kizumonogatari or wait another three or six or ninety years for the movie. development hell icon, Kizu. (actually, there are rumblings that they may announce something regarding Kizu in the next day or so. hope it's an actual, real-life calendar date. the last release date was February 30th) I highly recommend you read it before continuing. There are hella references to things that happen in Kizu in later seasons, quite a few in Nise, so it helps to know what they're talking about. and the book isn't too long.
3) Nisemonogatari 11 episodes.
4) Nekomonogatari (Kuro) 1TV Special or 4 episodes depending on what release you get. this is not just a protracted reiteration of an event told in flashback towards the end of Bakemonogatari, as some on the internet might try to tell you.
5) Monogatari: Second Season, First two stories. I can't tell you how exactly when to stop because there are recaps thrown in with some releases. But there are 5 episodes for Tsubasa Tiger (1st story) and 4 episodes for Mayoi Jiangshi.
6) Hanamonogatari: TV Special, or 5 episodes. this is technically the 2nd latest release, but again, Shaft shafted and didn't animate it in time for its initial airdate alongside the rest of Second Season.
7) the rest of Monogatari: Second Season
8) Tsukimonogatari TV Special, 4 episodes.
9) Owarimonogatari which starts... tomorrow.

make sure you watch the Blu-ray versions in the highest possibly quality. best animation.

oh and get your pause button ready. it's not completely necessary but the extra text can be fun.

oh and naming confusions, Second Season actually being the third season. so, when he wrote the books he wrote two initial books (Bake) and then wrote three more (Kizu and Nise) and when he had ideas for the whole series finally added one more (Neko (Kuro)) for a total of six books referred to as First Season, then six more books called Second Season, and then the last six being called Final Season (the owari prefix in owarimonogatari means final or end) for a total of 18 books but surprise, surprise he's writing more. Second Season is named that because it adapts the six books known as Second Season.
Last edited by funkybusiness on October 3rd, 2015, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 3rd, 2015, 11:20 am

So basically, same as release date order, except Kizumonogatari 2nd, and Hanamonogatari in the middle of Monogatari: Second Season instead of after it?

I guess I'll wait for the Kizumonogatari movie before I start watching it. I'm not much of a book person, and I have plenty of other anime to watch in the meantime.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 3rd, 2015, 11:51 am

mjf314 on Oct 3 2015, 03:05:02 AM wrote:You haven't watched Monster yet, so I recommend watching that.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is probably also a good choice, but I haven't seen it yet. According to AP, it's similar to both The Tatami Galaxy and Welcome to the NHK!.

Why did you drop Urusei Yatsura? Did you watch those 122 episodes only for the sake of being able to watch the movies, but not like it enough to watch the remaining 73 episodes? Or did you initially like it but then get tired of it?
I was only watching for the Oshii period (100something episodes). Yeah, as I've mentioned I don't enjoy it nearly as much to keep on watching everything, 200 episodes that's really milking it, some episodes didn't even rate at 5/10, and I listed the ones I mostly liked in the FOTW thread, there's not that many. I made sure I've seen all the fan top 10 episodes (googled for them + there's a top 10 included in the finale! :blink: ) and I watched the last 3 episodes. Going to see the rest of the movies too.

And that's a lot of "I"s. :down:

ok, Mushishi --> Monster --> Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei --> Galactic Heroes
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 3rd, 2015, 7:07 pm

My favorite TV-series are Kino no Tabi, Boogiepop Phantom, Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, Soul Taker and Lain, in that order. Looking at the age of the shows, you can kinda guess how long it's been since I've abandoned TV anime. The culprit back then was Ergo Proxy, a show that was supposed to be dark and brooding but couldn't deliver at all.

OAV wise I love Yukikaze, FLCL, Petite Cossette, Karas

But I've always been interested in movies the most. BIG Oshii fan, BIG Studio 4°C fan (Koji Morimoto in particular) and I love stuff like Dead Leaves and Hells.

Recommendations are welcome, since I haven't seen a good non-Ghibli anime in ages.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 3rd, 2015, 8:09 pm

mjf314 on Oct 3 2015, 05:20:07 AM wrote:So basically, same as release date order, except Kizumonogatari 2nd, and Hanamonogatari in the middle of Monogatari: Second Season instead of after it?

I guess I'll wait for the Kizumonogatari movie before I start watching it. I'm not much of a book person, and I have plenty of other anime to watch in the meantime.
well... I guess you can put it that way. <_<

the book is pretty good actually, despite its constant reiterations but that's part of the joke. the book is an origin story and, due to nisioisin's meta-ness, it parodies all the tropes and cliches of the shounen origin story.

pre-post edit, I just looked and it was just announced!

Kizumonogatari: Tekketsu-hen: PV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRdtWrE9bF8

Film 1 of 3. subtitle means blood and iron (or, from the book Iron-blooded) edition. looks fantastic.

Films 2 and 3 TBD, subtitled Nekketsu-hen and Reiketsu-hen (that's Hot-blooded and Cold-blooded, respectively).

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » October 3rd, 2015, 8:28 pm

Over the last few months I've started these series:
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 (1998) (seen 2 ep.)
The Big O (1999) (seen 3 ep.)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006) (seen 2 ep.)
Vampire Princess Miyu (1997) (seen 2 ep.)
Ghost Hound (2007) (seen 10 ep.)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2002) (seen 3 ep.)
Steins;Gate (2011) (seen 4 ep.)
Haibane Renmei (2002) (seen 5 ep.)

I'll probably be slowly continuing 'Haibane Renmei', 'Steins;Gate' and 'Ghost Hound', but I'm not really enthusiastic about any of them, which explains the pace in which I am seeing them.

Any thoughts on any of these series? Anything worthwhile in the later episodes of a series I might miss? Can anyone convince me that there is something redeeming in 'Haruhi Suzumiya' and that further in the series it becomes less annoying?

Apart from the 3 mentioned, I'll probably be checking out 'Boogiepop Phantom', 'Kaiba', 'Ergo Proxy', 'Mushishi', 'Kino's Journey' and 'Higurashi/When They Cry' in the near future.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 3rd, 2015, 8:36 pm

Suzumiya Haruhi: she never gets any less annoying. what order are you watching it in? and which season? 2006 or 2009?

I enjoyed Higurashi when it first aired but I dunno if I'd get much from it now.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 3rd, 2015, 11:42 pm

Carmel98 on Oct 3 2015, 02:28:29 PM wrote:Any thoughts on any of these series? Anything worthwhile in the later episodes of a series I might miss? Can anyone convince me that there is something redeeming in 'Haruhi Suzumiya' and that further in the series it becomes less annoying?
Maybe slightly less annoying, but she doesn't become a different person. The 2nd ep is one of the better ones, so if you didn't like it then you probably won't like the rest (or maybe you'll get used to her annoyingness). Even if she's annoying I think she's still an entertaining character. The movie is better than the series, featuring time travel and a parallel universe in which Haruhi doesn't exist.

If you're looking for something similar to Haruhi but better, I recommend Ouran High School Host Club. Both are about high school clubs.
Last edited by mjf314 on October 4th, 2015, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 3rd, 2015, 11:50 pm

Onderhond on Oct 3 2015, 01:07:35 PM wrote:OAV wise I love Yukikaze, FLCL, Petite Cossette, Karas

But I've always been interested in movies the most. BIG Oshii fan, BIG Studio 4°C fan (Koji Morimoto in particular) and I love stuff like Dead Leaves and Hells.

Recommendations are welcome, since I haven't seen a good non-Ghibli anime in ages.
Have you seen Kill La Kill? It's similar to FLCL and Hells (but with more action and skimpier outfits).

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 4th, 2015, 8:01 am

I started it once. It's good fun, I just can't get myself to watch an entire show these days. Same goes for Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. Great fun, just too many eps.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 4th, 2015, 8:18 am

Onderhond on Oct 4 2015, 02:01:23 AM wrote:I started it once. It's good fun, I just can't get myself to watch an entire show these days. Same goes for Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. Great fun, just too many eps.
You might like Kanashimi no Belladonna. It's a must-watch for anyone who's interested in surreal animation, but as I mentioned in another thread there's a blu-ray planned for 2016, so it might be better to wait.

You also might want to check out some Koji Yamamura shorts, starting with Kafuka: Inaka isha.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 4th, 2015, 10:18 am

Yeah, waiting for the BR of Kanashimi no Belladonna.

I've heard of Koji Yamamura before, but never got around to watching his work. From what I've seen it has a somewhat European vibe (a bit like Tsumiki no Ie maybe?) and I'm not a big fan of that.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 4th, 2015, 11:13 am

@Onderhond: Ok, then how about Amano's films? I think you might like those. Maybe these screenshots will convince you:
ScreenshotsShow
Fantascope Tylostoma

Tori no Uta
@frbrown: I'm about to start watching 1001 Nights, so I'll let you know soon what I thought of it.

Edit: I liked 1001 Nights, but it's my least favorite of the 3. The animation looked great in some parts, but overall I preferred the artwork in the other 2. Also the lack of a story and character development didn't help.
Last edited by mjf314 on October 4th, 2015, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 4th, 2015, 9:08 pm

I've seen 1001 Nights and liked it. Didn't know he directed other films. Thanks for the tip!

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 4th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Onderhond on Oct 4 2015, 03:08:22 PM wrote:I've seen 1001 Nights and liked it. Didn't know he directed other films. Thanks for the tip!
I'm not sure if he actually directed Fantascope Tylostoma, but he at least played a big role in making it. IMDb credits him as the director, but ANN only credits him as "original creator" and "animation".

frbrown

Post by frbrown » October 4th, 2015, 11:23 pm

I don't think he directed 1001 Nights, either, just did the artwork.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 5th, 2015, 1:10 am

frbrown on Oct 4 2015, 05:23:18 PM wrote:I don't think he directed 1001 Nights, either, just did the artwork.
Mike Smith directed it according to the opening credits.

However, Amano did direct Tori no Uta (according to ANN and AniDB).
Last edited by mjf314 on October 5th, 2015, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rad82

Post by Rad82 » October 8th, 2015, 9:31 am

Just saw this thread. :)

Nice to be around for some of us fans. Truth is I'm disappointed in anime during the last few years and I only watch live stuff.
However, most of the times I feel like I've already watched a good ~90%+ percent of the anime that's worth watching.

In any case feel free to get recommendations from some of my favorites:

tv series:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls053038015/

movies: (these however are mixed with non-anime)
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls051998905/

monty

Post by monty » October 8th, 2015, 10:02 am

Rad82 on Oct 8 2015, 03:31:36 AM wrote:Just saw this thread. :)

Nice to be around for some of us fans. Truth is I'm disappointed in anime during the last few years and I only watch live stuff.
However, most of the times I feel like I've already watched a good ~90%+ percent of the anime that's worth watching.

tv series:

Suggestions: The Monkey King, Taro the Dragon Boy, Gulliver's Travels Beyond The Moon,Summer Wars, Night on the Galactic Railroad and Ursa Minor Blue: Image
Last edited by monty on October 8th, 2015, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rad82

Post by Rad82 » October 8th, 2015, 10:16 am

Danke Monty.

Seen all of those except the monkey king which I have on my hard disk anyway. So I might watch it at some point thanks for the reminder. Ursa minor blue and night on the Galactic Railroad, were pretty good watches indeed.

monty

Post by monty » October 8th, 2015, 11:04 am

But have you seen The Sensualist?

Last edited by monty on October 8th, 2015, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 8th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Didn't like it very much. In the "almost no animation" section of animation I prefer Godkiller.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 9th, 2015, 5:21 am

Rad82 on Oct 8 2015, 03:31:36 AM wrote:Just saw this thread. :)

tv series:

From the last few years, my favorite anime movies that you haven't watched are Majokko shimai no Yoyo to Nene and When Marnie Was There, so maybe you should check them out.

I haven't watched many recent anime series. The only one you haven't seen that I liked is Kill La Kill, but it's not really similar to your favorites, so I'm not sure if it's a good recommendation.

On MAL, the highest rated recent non-sequel series are Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Shokugeki no Souma, but it seems that neither of us have seen either one. Are you planning to watch them?
Last edited by mjf314 on October 9th, 2015, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.